• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Iv3veh.jpg

Getting pretty sick of this shit. I've been to the Temple of Kynareth and prayed at the shrine... still there. No active effect listed that explains it.

Is there a bed anywhere in Whiterun that I can rest in that isn't owned?

Arcipello

ok so after i killed the first dragon i was summoned up the mountain and decided to take lydia (the companion that you get from the Ward) and i kinda lost her up the mountain.... is she gone for good or will she appear back at dragonsreach ?

Arjen

Hawkian said:
Iv3veh.jpg

Getting pretty sick of this shit. I've been to the Temple of Kynareth and prayed at the shrine... still there. No active effect listed that explains it.

You can always rent a bed at an inn, it's about 10 gold

Nocebo

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ok.. I'm terrible in Skyrim or something. I've played a good like 14 hrs and I'm barely lvl 10.

I guess I'm not doing this right. I'm also beginning to have a ton of issues killing some guys now on these alternate quests. Some go down easily and others really beat me down where I'm drinking potions like no business.

I guess I should level up my other abilities like Blacksmithing and stuff. I tend to get lost.. I've only encountered the first dragon as well.. I did see another in the air and tried pelting it with arrows but it never came back down. My sneaking is the highest of all my skills.. (At 34-35) while my 1hand weapon is at 31 and my archery is at 30. Destruction spells are at 26.

I still have Lydia but shes totally ruining my sneak bow shots.. so much so that I've actually been asking her to wait at the beginning of dungeons.. lol.

I may restart.. Maybe I will do a spell caster only.
I don't really see much wrong with what you're describing here. If you want a cake walk maybe set the game difficulty to cake walk?

Hawkian said:

You're not alone.

One guy mentioned that it fixed itself when he leveled it.

Tambini said:
What's the best way to train Smithing?

Shit ton of leather.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Snuggler said:
How's this for a quiet kill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUCIFyl32m0 (very minor spoiler for one of the first brotherhood missions). The sword combat is so-so but goddamn I'm loving playing as an archer. Once you unlock a few perks, it's fuckin deadly.

I have 3.0 multiplier.

Yesterday I entered the cave filled with sleeping bandits. I went on stealth killing romp. The only one who woke up was the bandit's chief but 15x times more damage with dagger from behind put her back down quickly.

CrocMother said:
Bit of perk advice: If you don't have any clue what to do, just save them.

Lvl 10 @ 14 hours is normal. With a stealth character, you have to choose your quests wisely. You might want to focus on the non-combat heavy quests until you feel like you can handle yourself.

If you want to level up quickly, steal a bunch of silver ingot, then use the forge to make silver rings. Then, use the Arcane Enchanter and make a bunch of magic rings. You will need some magical weapons to disenchant. You can easily level up this way.

Another option would be to just lower the difficulty. There's no shame in it, and you can always raise it once you feel like you have a better grasp on the world and the game.

There is a difficulty setting?

WTF??

Izayoi

Banned
Blablurn said:
im level 8, im done at whiterun. where to go next?
Anywhere.

No, seriously. Just start walking in any direction you want.

If you want some sort of compass, open your world map and plot a course for the next major city.

Anteater

Just Killed a dragon Watched a dragon getting killed, free scales and soul :D

lol wtf an assassin just appeared out of nowhere and started fighting me, almost got killed, this land is a dangerous place...

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Im learning the value of slowly inching and saving through a dungeon. Its a hell of a lot less painful than clearing out 4 rooms then dying to some stupid shit.

Arjen

Hawkian said:
Hmm. So people are thinking glitch. :(

Did you tried taking of all your gear? Maybe something has a negative effect.
Or maybe you have a stone activated with a negative effect?

rakhir

Tambini said:
Buy every Iron Ignot from every smithy you encounter and mass produce Iron Daggers.
You will lose quite a bit of money, since daggers aren't worth shit, but it's the best and easiest way to level up.

I fast-traveled around Whiterun, stormcloak city (Winterholme? i forgot :/) and Riften, buying everything from each smithy and leveling to the max - that's how i've got full dragonplate armor at level 27.
Remember though you will gain a lot of levels doing this and you could end up having worse combat skills then your overall level would suggest.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit. Level 23, 30 hours logged already...I NEVER get sucked into a game like this. This game is truly something special.

I found a glass helmet and a glass sword on a random fortress attack, getting a lot of good shit now. I found a shout that lets me disarm people which has been amazingly useful. I'm starting to get into the thieves guild and already am in love with that after the first mission...I still feel like I'm scratching the surface of the game, there is a RIDICULOUS amount of stuff here. I keep waiting every time I go into a cave for it to be copy and pasted, but it's all completely new. I've noticed an inn repeat, but the actual dungeons...shit is crazy.

And I just got the 15x dagger attack as a stealth user...got about 9 throat slit animations in a row. Even on a bandit chief I managed to rapidly hit him three times, all getting the benefit, which made the third attack slice his neck. So fucking good.

Tambini said:

Smithing is pretty easy. The skill gain does not appear to scale to what you're making, so you can make cheap leather bracers (2 leather strips, 1 leather) all the way to 100. Iron daggers (1 iron, 1 leather strip) are another option and possibly even cheaper.

rakhir

Hawkian said:
Do you know what's cousing it? Try checking out Active Spells (or something like that) on your spell menu.

Acidote

I have a question, if you're playing a magic/1 handed sword combo, what kind of armor do you wear? I guess heavy since most enemies will get to close quarters, but I've seen videos of people wearing magic robes.

Smithing may be a good way to level up but i'm a bit wary of pumping perks into it.

Chances are if you do any dungeon crawling/questing you will find armor and weapons suitable to your level.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Arjen said:
Did you tried taking of all your gear? Maybe something has a negative effect.
Or maybe you have a stone activated with a negative effect?
Wouldn't that show up in Active Effects?
rakhir said:
Do you know what's cousing it? Try checking out Active Spells (or something like that) on your spell menu.
Nothing there that explains it.

Resting didn't do anything. Quite frustrating...

Nocebo

Blablurn said:
im level 8, im done at whiterun. where to go next?
I'm not sure how you can be "done at whiterun" and not know where to go next. Actually I'm not even sure how you can make a statement like "im done at whiterun" in the first place. Quests you get in whiterun send you all over Skyrim. It would mean you bee line to the target and then come right back without doing anything in between? No wait, that's impossible since you get sent to other towns as well. I'm having trouble making sense of this statement. Are you even playing this game? haha

Hm, a little stuck. Mastered Destruction, talked to
the destruction trainer in the College, completed the quest
and got the fire spell, but I'm specced for lightning. Don't really want be spoiled but I have to wonder if anyone can at least tell me if I'll find my way to the other master spells in the normal course of the game, if I need to seek out other trainers for more quests or what. I'd really appreciate the most general possible answer if anyone knows.

Edited. Decided my own post was a little more specific than some might like.

zmoney said:
I'm just saying that looking at it like a checklist and thinking your missing something isn't really the point of TES.

You can play it how you want, I wasn't trying to tell him not to play his way, so calm down.

I'm pretty calm, bro. TES can be whatever you want it to be. So maybe you should calm down. Just a thought though. You know. Calm. Down.
See what I'm doing? Saying calm down instantly insinuates you're internet angry and makes you looks stupid ha ha ha!

rakhir

CrocMother said:
Smithing may be a good way to level up but i'm a bit wary of pumping perks into it.

Chances are if you do any dungeon crawling/questing you will find armor and weapons suitable to your level.
But leveling smithing will get you weapons and armor better then what you would get from dungeons.
I'm pretty much destroying every normal enemy now that i have the high level dragon/deadric/ebony stuff (dual wielding deadric/ebony war axes).

Hawkian said:
No, I guess that'll be what I try next... but it's not gonna be easy seeing as it's cut in half :p

You level up by making hits with your one-handed weapon, not by killing.

So if it takes you more hits to take something out, that actually means it should level faster.

VandalD

Acidote said:
I have a question, if you're playing a magic/1 handed sword combo, what kind of armor do you wear? I guess heavy since most enemies will get to close quarters, but I've seen videos of people wearing magic robes.
I would say go heavy if you're not stealthy or pure mage. As a mage, you'll probably want alteration so you can pair the robe magicka regen with armor spells. Stealthy folks will favor light armor due to skill bonuses and heavy boots impeding stealth.

Blackface

Banned
Hawkian said:
Iv3veh.jpg

This is a glitch in the game right now. Happened to my main skill. I was about to quit completely. What I did is I went to someone who I could buy a skill up off of as a last resort. I bought the skill and it put the value back to what it originally was + 1.

Arjen

Hawkian said:
Wouldn't that show up in Active Effects?

Nothing there that explains it.

Resting didn't do anything. Quite frustrating...

It should, but maybe you hit a bug where it's not showing up?
Maybe try activating another stone?

Nose Master said:
Is there any point to carrying around books after you've read them? D:

early spoilers:
Was pretty awesome if you already have the dragonstone when the guy asks for it he has a dialogue option for it

Yeah, that was great.
The guy said "I need you to get a dragonstone." Then I was like "You mean...THIS dragonstone? Already done."

And I just sell books after I read them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
CrocMother said:
You level up by making hits with your one-handed weapon, not by killing.

So if it takes you more hits to take something out, that actually means it should level faster.
Blackface said:
This is a glitch in the game right now. Happened to my main skill. I was about to quit completely. What I did is I went to someone who I could buy a skill up off of as a last resort. I bought the skill and it put the value back to what it originally was + 1.
Score, that's good stuff all around. Installing the new drivers now then I'll give it a shot.

Anybody know where the one-handed trainer is?

The trainer that trains you on one-handed weapons I mean. Not the trainer with one hand.

Drazgul

Meh, my smithing is dragging behind... You guys just bought the ingots from vendors or what?

The problem with that would be that everything is expensive as shit, and for the loot you bring in those jerks pay only 10% or so of their worth.

pringles

Was up in the mountains in a snowstorm and found a cave that I decided to explore.

It was filled with vampires. Fucking scary shit. The Vampire Master in the cave took like 15 tries to kill, had to use every healing potion and fire spell I had on him.

My trusted companion Faendal lost his life in that battle :´(

I'm only lvl 12 after over 20hrs but my character is getting pretty awesome at sneaking around and one-shotting bad guys.

Got attacked by hired thugs when I was standing at an alchemy lab I found outside a shack in the wilderness. I was losing health quickly so used an invisibility potion and ran off to hide. When they lost track of me I sneak attacked them one by one with arrows to take them down.

Found a contract for me on one of them. Seems Arcadia found out I had been looting her store.. time to get some payback.

..yeah this game is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom