• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 hours in.. I feel like I've done a lot, yet I feel like there's still so much to do. Oh man, I adore this game!

Random bug I'm having with a certain item of mine: College of Winterhold Spoilers!
So, with Morokei's mask, I noticed that sometimes when viewing my character from third person view, the mask in non-existent along with my entire head. It's just a void under a hood. Has anyone else noticed this on their game? It's not really that bad, it's actually kinda funny, I just want to know if I'm not alone. Btw, here is a picture of it: http://i52.tinypic.com/245njir.jpg

AiTM

Banned
Question regarding end of companion guild questline:

I am currently a werewolf, if I cure myself, can I ever become a werewolf again? Can I stay one now, and come back and cure myself anytime I choose?

Damn this game! I've lost 26 hours of my life and I still haven't fought a dragon. Because I kept getting distracted and exploring. Who needs crack when you've got Skrim.

Zaptruder

Banned
Gr1mLock said:
Shield bashing dragons in the face is surprisingly effective..

I know right.

*Dragon starts breathing fire*

"Oh no you don't!"

*shield bash in face*

*dragon snout shuts up, breath attack averted*

Lakitu

st5fu
Still, further to my point about wanting to join the Stormcloaks... they do seem like xenophobes (and I personally despise those type of people). I haven't joined either one yet, neither of them seem 'good.'

Lakitu said:
Still, further to my point about wanting to join the Stormcloaks... they do seem like xenophobes (and I personally despise those type of people). I haven't joined either one yet, neither of them seem 'good.'
I like to think that my character having an important position within the Stormcloaks can positively influence them to be more friendly to other races.

Luthos

Zaptruder said:
I know right.

"Oh no you don't!"

*shield bash in face*

Shield bash is awesome against dragons breathing and any magic users.

Lakitu said:
I know, I'm having trouble deciding which. They seem xenophobic, but then again my character is a Nord. And the imperial legion seem like dicks who want to control everything and are the ones who signed the agreement with the filthy Altmer. But then again they do have Colonel Tigh on their side...

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Ah wouldn't you know it, I come on here and say how I havent seen any bugs, then the game crashes on me 3 times in a row.... Dang it

Wanace

I just beat the main quest. Now I'm off to join the Legion. Still haven't touched the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood quests yet either. 40 hours in. Man, so much stuff to do, and I'm loving my character.

-Yeti said:
30 hours in.. I feel like I've done a lot, yet I feel like there's still so much to do. Oh man, I adore this game!

Random bug I'm having with a certain item of mine: College of Winterhold Spoilers!

Yeah, happens to me too.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Zaptruder said:
I know right.

"Oh no you don't!"

*shield bash in face*

Strafing and conservatively shield bashing makes dragons almost tame when they land. To hell with duel wielding swords give me two shields!

I have a question about companions. Take Lydia for example, she starts off with what looks like Steel Armor. But when you go to trade with her, there is no armor under her "apparel" tab. Is what she's wearing just cosmetic? Like, if I equip her with actual steel armor, will that grant her bonus stats or will it be wasted because her base character starts off with steel armor?

racist xenophobes? that's describing almost every political organization in the TES universe. It only makes sense, i mean there are literally walking lizards and cats and dragons and you are confused and only people of your race make sense. Unless you join a guild and learn to overcome this lol

Acidote

I screwed my character bad with perks hahaha. Level 12 and the
Companions dungeon with Farkas where he first turns into a werewolf
has been hell. I've put perks in destro and resto magic, and one handed swords. I think I'll have to start the game again and focus just on the simple gameplay of sword and shield :(. That, or keep playing, balance my character as much as I can until a perk reset mod is released hahaha.

Farooq

Banned
Acidote said:
I screwed my character bad with perks hahaha. Level 12 and the
Companions dungeon with Farkas where he first turns into a werewolf
has been hell. I've put perks in destro and resto magic, and one handed swords. I think I'll have to start the game again and focus just on the simple gameplay of sword and shield :(. That, or keep playing, balance my character as much as I can until a perk reset mod is released hahaha.

What did you do wrong?

I'm a couple of hours in and really enjoy the game , killed my first Dragon and went on a quest that took me high in the frosty mountains .
Had two bugs (360 version) , one time I fell right trough the mountain I was standing on to my death and the other was a huge flying animal that isn't supposed to fly at all .

d00d3n

I can't give you the exact name at the moment (I am at work), but there was massive amounts of Orichalcum ore in a mine that you visit during a mage's guild quest. I believe it was the first "fetch a rare book for the orc librarian-quest".

Wanace

MisterAnderson said:
I have a question about companions. Take Lydia for example, she starts off with what looks like Steel Armor. But when you go to trade with her, there is no armor under her "apparel" tab. Is what she's wearing just cosmetic? Like, if I equip her with actual steel armor, will that grant her bonus stats or will it be wasted because her base character starts off with steel armor?

I haven't tried with Lydia, but with the Markarth guy I have I gave him steel plate and helm and a glass sword and he equipped it all. I imagine if it's better than what their "default look" armor is they will equip it, but I don't know, because I then gave him dwarven armor and he didn't put it on. Maybe they only equip it if you give them the whole set?

Luthos

Cryptozoologist said:
I haven't tried with Lydia, but with the Markarth guy I have I gave him steel plate and helm and a glass sword and he equipped it all. I imagine if it's better than what their "default look" armor is they will equip it, but I don't know, because I then gave him dwarven armor and he didn't put it on. Maybe they only equip it if you give them the whole set?
I think companions only equip helmets and weapons/shields that you give them. Their base armor can't be changed. Or if they do equip it, it doesn't change their look.

Acidote

Farooq said:
What did you do wrong?

I spent points I shouldn't have as a beginner. Also I've leveled up different skills (bows, oh swords, th swords, destro magic) and I've become a sowrd of jack of all trades, master of none. I should have focused in just one or two of them and level them up properly.

I'll check my perks later when I get home and plan how to keep going with what I have.

purg3

slept with Malkin
damn, I think I've died more in this game in the 11 or so hours I've clocked than the entirety of my Oblivion play through. Most of the time it was just from exploring and going into a random cave I probably shouldn't be in, and getting one shotted lol. Definitely adds to the sense of adventure that's for sure.

FStop7

Banned
Just passed the 27 hour mark according to Steam. I think I'm still fairly early on in the main quest. Been doing a lot of the side quests, too. I don't know what Oblivion's main storyline was like (I've heard it was a bit of a drag) but so far Skyrim's has been really engaging.

The dungeons have been a little repetitive, but there have been individual highlights in pretty much all of them. They're pretty linear, which I actually kind of like since this isn't a true dungeon crawler and doesn't always lend itself well to that type of combat, so I'm glad it's somewhat merciful.

Expert difficult has worked pretty well. I've been worked over a few times, but now that I'm gaining more powers I've got options to deal with specific types of enemies. I also bring Lydia with me pretty much everywhere.

I actually like the combat a lot. The swordplay is nothing fancy at all, but it feels good to land a heavy strike and it sounds awesome. Archery feels great and again, sounds good - arrows make that dramatic "fwee!" whistle straight out of the movies like LoTR.

Oh and did I ever fuck with the Dark Brotherhood..

Astrid kidnapped me and told me to kill one of three captives because I "stole" one of the Brotherhood's contracts. So I acted like I was about to bring my sword down on one of them, but then switched to a shout, knocked Astrid down, and killed her instead. I'm nobody's pawn, bitch.

SteveWD40

DevelopmentArrested said:
Where can I buy some good armor/weapons?
So tired of rocking Steel shit considering I'm 30 hours in.
I kind of wish they added better items/loot to Skyrim.

Not sure but I know there is a damn site more than Steel, bear in mind 30 hours in Skyrim isn't all that much (the RPS "things I haven't even done yet" review was about that much).

What level are you? I assume Glass, Elven, Dwemner, Deadric and the like will show up soon, along with the many unique's and artefacts that exist in every ES game.

rakhir

MisterAnderson said:
They have the 'default' equipment - Lydia has one-hand and a shield with steel armor irrc - that you can't take away from them, but they will equip better stuff you'll give them. I think she didn't equip the Iron armor i gave her early on, so she probably only uses things better then the default stuff.
Lydia will also use every weapon she has - she was conjuring Familiars and shooting fireballs from the staffs i gave her.

Luthos said:
I think companions only equip helmets and weapons/shields that you give them. Their base armor can't be changed. Or if they do equip it, it doesn't change their look.
My Lydia is running around with full upgraded plate armor set on her, with an Ebony War Axe and a Dragonplate Shield, so that's definiately not accurate. :)

I have 33 hours played according to Steam and i've barely scrached the main quest - I need to go to the Greybeards, but i'm going in a big circle around the mountains, through Riften (and i wanted to get that Amulet of Mara i read about and marry everyone's favourite housecarl, but i don't have the option :().
Damn, this game is big.

Wanace

I just crafted a poison that paralyzes for 10 seconds. My alchemy isn't that high although I have been focusing my perks there. Wish I had been doing archery as well because it's a bit tough to jump in and slash to poison my target, but it's fun.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Game really messes with my OCD tendencies. I was doing a dungeon, cleared a room and left, then thought "hmm I think I forgot to check one spot..." so I went back. And then bam, found a locket worth 850G in some plain-looking knapsack tucked into one corner.

No attention was drawn to it at all.

I wonder how many gamers, even careful ones, will never find it. It's more valuable than the loot you get from the dungeon's boss.

Farooq

Banned
Acidote said:
I spent points I shouldn't have as a beginner. Also I've leveled up different skills (bows, oh swords, th swords, destro magic) and I've become a sowrd of jack of all trades, master of none. I should have focused in just one or two of them and level them up properly.

I'll check my perks later when I get home and plan how to keep going with what I have.

Oh, what I did was focus on 1 hand (swords), heavy armor, destruction, and restoration.

I think the perks with restoration and 1 hand go together really well, especially Respite (healing also restores stamina). The thing with destruction, it became my range only attack. It's at level with my 1 hand, but I don't feel any cohesion.

I just started with adept level spells, so maybe it will turn out better but I feel like I am going to have to take the dual casting perk just to get something worth while out of it. I have invested a lot perks into that skill. I hope it pays off late game.

FStop7

Banned
rakhir said:
My Lydia is running around with full upgraded plate armor set on her, with an Ebony War Axe and a Dragonplate Shield, so that's definiately not accurate. :)

How? I give her stuff but I don't see how to make her equip it. The only item I've given her that she uses is an improved steel sword that I made.

Oh yeah, and did it ever feel good using the fully learned Unrelenting Shout on
Sahloknir. Motherfucking dragon talking shit about me to his pal like I wasn't even there to hear it. How's it feel to be brought down by a human using your own language?

rakhir

FStop7 said:
How? I give her stuff but I don't see how to make her equip it. The only item I've given her that she uses is an improved steel sword that I made.
She automaticly equips everything that's better then the default she has - maybe you gave her lesser equipment? If you are a warrior try to give her the stuff you wear, see if that works.

Does "Fire Resistance" fall under "Magic Resistance"? For example...if I equip a 12% magic resistance shield, does that cover some kind of specific "magic" type or does "fire" "ice" "shock" "etc." all fall under that stat?

Nose Master

Is there any point to carrying around books after you've read them? D:

early spoilers:
Was pretty awesome if you already have the dragonstone when the guy asks for it he has a dialogue option for it

madmackem

So whats the downside to becoming a werewolf?, i read you have to kill people to eat? not something i really want to do or does bad guys count.

Luthos

rakhir said:
I have 33 hours played according to Steam and i've barely scrached the main quest - I need to go to the Greybeards, but i'm going in a big circle around the mountains, through Riften (and i wanted to get that Amulet of Mara i read about and marry everyone's favourite housecarl, but i don't have the option :().
Damn, this game is big.
You should definitely do the part that involves going to the top of the mountain.

I won't say why, but that part at least is very much worth it, imo.

pyros

Lakitu said:

Are these the only two factions you can join, was hoping the
Psijic Order
would ask me to join them

Acheteedo

madmackem said:
So whats the downside to becoming a werewolf?, i read you have to kill people to eat? not something i really want to do or does bad guys count.

If you become a werewolf you lose the xp gaining bonus from sleeping, so consider how much that might impact your game. On the plus side, you can't contract diseases anymore.

Alastor

I finally got rid of that annoying dog that couldn't stand still and always rushed at my character. Almost like he wanted to play with me ;)

Pretty funny thing happened in the last part of that quest.

I asked for "peace in Skyrim", or something. The answer of statue was in line with "I'd kill all the people and problem solved". I guessed it was a joke, but when I returned later and restored its powers, I suddenly... died. I remembered what I asked for and laughed. "Bethesda should let me finish the game like that, and not just die!", I thought. Then, I reloaded just to be sure it wasn't a bug. And guess what? It was! There were dialog options that hasn't showed first time.

The prize looks cool, my first mask-looking helmet so far.

Ok.. I'm terrible in Skyrim or something. I've played a good like 14 hrs and I'm barely lvl 10.

I guess I'm not doing this right. I'm also beginning to have a ton of issues killing some guys now on these alternate quests. Some go down easily and others really beat me down where I'm drinking potions like no business.

I guess I should level up my other abilities like Blacksmithing and stuff. I tend to get lost.. I've only encountered the first dragon as well.. I did see another in the air and tried pelting it with arrows but it never came back down. My sneaking is the highest of all my skills.. (At 34-35) while my 1hand weapon is at 31 and my archery is at 30. Destruction spells are at 26.

I still have Lydia but shes totally ruining my sneak bow shots.. so much so that I've actually been asking her to wait at the beginning of dungeons.. lol.

I may restart.. Maybe I will do a spell caster only.

rakhir

Luthos said:
You should definitely do the part that involves going to the top of the mountain.

I won't say why, but that part at least is very much worth it, imo.
I kinda-sorta know why you are saying that, but i still have a lot of ground to cover and so much things occupy my attention - i have a companion quest on the way to that city for example - not to mention that i'm doing every damn dungeon i see at my compass along the way. :p
And it's baffling to me that I visited only 1/4 or 1/3 of the map...
I'm also 27 level right now, i'm starting to fear that i'll get to the level soft-cap before the end of the game :/ Good that i'm on PC, there probably already is a mod that deletes that cap. :p

Bit of perk advice: If you don't have any clue what to do, just save them.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Ok.. I'm terrible in Skyrim or something. I've played a good like 14 hrs and I'm barely lvl 10.

I guess I'm not doing this right. I'm also beginning to have a ton of issues killing some guys now on these alternate quests. Some go down easily and others really beat me down where I'm drinking potions like no business.

I guess I should level up my other abilities like Blacksmithing and stuff. I tend to get lost.. I've only encountered the first dragon as well.. I did see another in the air and tried pelting it with arrows but it never came back down. My sneaking is the highest of all my skills.. (At 34-35) while my 1hand weapon is at 31 and my archery is at 30. Destruction spells are at 26.

I still have Lydia but shes totally ruining my sneak bow shots.. so much so that I've actually been asking her to wait at the beginning of dungeons.. lol.

I may restart.. Maybe I will do a spell caster only.

Lvl 10 @ 14 hours is normal. With a stealth character, you have to choose your quests wisely. You might want to focus on the non-combat heavy quests until you feel like you can handle yourself.

If you want to level up quickly, steal a bunch of silver ingot, then use the forge to make silver rings. Then, use the Arcane Enchanter and make a bunch of magic rings. You will need some magical weapons to disenchant. You can easily level up this way.

Another option would be to just lower the difficulty. There's no shame in it, and you can always raise it once you feel like you have a better grasp on the world and the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom