• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
ElyrionX said:
For those who have finished the mage college line of quests, do you get any good leveled loot rewards from them to justify delaying doing them till as late as possible?

None that I can think of. The only item reward of note that comes to mind is a specific item for the quest itself, a moderately cool staff.

Question for other casters: anyone getting good use out of wards? They seem really cool in concept, but in practice they seem to just burn magicka while killing damage output because I'm not dual casting. Would love to hear about someone making them work for them.

Anteater

:lol, after
the assassin, some justicar appeared (with magic, almost got owned), and after killing her I found a note on her saying "if you run into this redguard, kill her with extreme hatred"
, guess I can't kill a few deers without making a few enemies.

I'm probably not paying enough attention to the story, I don't know who all these people are lol, I just wanted to capture some souls and craft! Leave me be you dangerous people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dries said:
So does the 360 controller connected to PC really have analog input? Or is it just walk or stop?
Using the 360 emu, my philips wireless controller has analog walking. I can only imagine the real thing would be just as good.

Arcipello

Dries said:
So does the 360 controller connected to PC really have analog input? Or is it just walk or stop?

its way better playing with the 360 controller, walking and running is smoother and you can control the speeds depending on how much you push the sticks:)

Izayoi

Banned
Gravijah said:
any higher level stealth/assassin type characters wish to share how they distributed hp/stamina? for now i'm keeping them even but i dunno if i should focus more on health.
Been keeping Stamina and Health fairly even, though with the encumbrance bonus I might weight Stamina more heavily in the future. I've been tossing a few points to Magicka for Restoration/Illusion purposes every now and then as well.

Also, get in IRC.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good MORNIIIIIING GAAAAAAAF!

Here we go again XD

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Really loving Skyrim but do have one complaint, all the weapon and armour loot seems like total junk.

Is smithing the only way to get good stuff? Or is all the equipment pretty much comparable and there's just no point worrying about it?

Would have been nice if they had quest lines for the different weapon & armour skills, so when your Archery hits 40/60/80 etc you get a courier message that sends you off on a quest to get a legendary bow.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Derrick01 said:
I still haven't decided whether I want to join the stormcloaks or imperials yet. I went into the game deciding imperials but the game's done a decent job at making me think. It feels like the stormcloaks are the good guys in a way, but they're racist and I'm argonian. Think I'll save them for my next playthrough when I'm a Nord Battlemage.

I'm leaning towards the imperials, but gotta question...

If I join the Imperials, will I still be able to complete all the WhiteRun related quests, as well as the "Speak to the Greybeards" quest? Im a RedGuard BTW.

VandalD

Oblivionmancer said:
Question for other casters: anyone getting good use out of wards? They seem really cool in concept, but in practice they seem to just burn magicka while killing damage output because I'm not dual casting. Would love to hear about someone making them work for them.
Tried using them, but with everything I fight, even other mages, I've found I want them dead instead of throwing more spells at me that I'd have to ward against. And as you said, using a ward burns magicka you could be using to kill things. The limited number of hotkeys also made me think otherwise on using them. I'd rather have a hotkey set to a heal than to a ward. 1-6 are various spells while 7 is an offensive shout and 8 is Whirlwind Sprint.

So, I don't know about you guys, but I'm much more scared of a bear or a sabercat at the moment than I am of any dragon. Maybe it's just a mage thing, but if a bear gets close to me, especially without an armor spell up in advance so I can spray it with destruction spells, I'm basically going to die unless I cheese the AI's pathfinding. Meanwhile, dragon breath barely hurts - maybe it's the Breton magic resistance at work - and their melee range is easily avoided. It's still cool to fight dragons, but it's pretty non threatening.

dc89

GAF if I liked Oblivion will I like this?

The YouTube footage I saw was a little sketchy, should I play it safe and pick it up in the Xmas sales?

VandalD

dc89 said:

The YouTube footage I saw was a little sketchy, should I play it safe and pick it up in the Xmas sales?
If you liked Oblivion, this game will steal your life.

Not so stealth edit: Assuming you are prepared for potential bugs and console focused UI.

Toki767

Got
turned into a werewolf.
This game is so awesome.

dc89 said:

I hated Oblivion but I'm really liking Skyrim.

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Good MORNIIIIIING GAAAAAAAF!

Here we go again XD

GYMP1.jpg

Am I right or what Yoshi?

Darkman M

dc89 said:

Skyrim is way better then oblivion, this is coming from someone who has been playing oblivion since it's release up to the release of Skyrim.

Alienups

Oh man, i didn't like Oblivion at all but i'm completely into this one.

30 hours played already and i'm loving it. Haven't even visited another city besides Whiterun yet.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I'm leaning towards the imperials, but gotta question...

If I join the Imperials, will I still be able to complete all the WhiteRun related quests, as well as the "Speak to the Greybeards" quest? Im a RedGuard BTW.

Grassy

frey said:
I can't be the only one who listens to the music on the main menu while reading this thread surely? The music is incredible.

I was surprised the music in-game was turned down so low by default, I crank dat shit up. It's some of the best music I've heard in a game.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ghost said:
Really loving Skyrim but do have one complaint, all the weapon and armour loot seems like total junk.

Is smithing the only way to get good stuff? Or is all the equipment pretty much comparable and there's just no point worrying about it?

Would have been nice if they had quest lines for the different weapon & armour skills, so when your Archery hits 40/60/80 etc you get a courier message that sends you off on a quest to get a legendary bow.
i am level 27 atm and i'm starting to find orc/ebony/plate armours and weapons every now and then as loot, they are still uncommon but they are atleast showing up.

i still say you'll want to level smithing just to upgrade your armour and weapons, so doing smithing early seems to make sense.

dc89

Alienups said:
Oh man, i didn't like Oblivion at all but i'm completely into this one.

30 hours played already and i'm loving it. Haven't even visited another city besides Whiterun yet.

This is what I did with Oblivion. Just trolled around for 25 hours and didn't touch the story for many many hours

Truant

Is it just me or does this game feel a lot bigger than Oblivion? Just the gameworld itself. Takes forever to get anywhere. And that's great.

NBtoaster

Fights with Draugr Overlords are really intense. Kill me in a couple hits and can they can shout (but mine are better :F)

Liches that guard word walls though, still way too hard for me at level 19. And they turn my own summons against me!

So I was crawling through some caves and got into a number of hairy fights with an archer boss type. Now my character has arrows sticking out of them and they won't go away. It has been (in game) days. Sleeping or changing my armor won't make them disappear. Is there something I can do about this? I like to play in 3rd person view but looking at all these arrows is kind of annoying.

Rokam

the_prime_mover said:
So I was crawling through some caves and got into a number of hairy fights with an archer boss type. Now my character has arrows sticking out of them and they won't go away. It has been (in game) days. Sleeping or changing my armor won't make them disappear. Is there something I can do about this? I like to play in 3rd person view but looking at all these arrows is kind of annoying.

Supposedly getting shot by more arrows works.

Ezahn

I'm having troubles with my Khajiit rogue-like.

Planned to use claws and bow, but the claws are like fixed damage and do not increase any ability if I use them. No good.

And sneaking around is feeling pretty useless atm (every bad sees me and then I'm in trouble ^^ "Hired Thugs" beat me in pulp).

I'm thinking of ditching the cat for a all-mage Breton.
But if someone has tips... I'll be glad to think abou saving the cat!

Should I level one handed? Sneaking? Any tips for silent assassins/claw using purrrrrrrrrs?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
zlatko said:
GYMP1.jpg

Am I right or what Yoshi?
Bwhahahaha
Bluemercury said:
So is it more of the same???
It's completely different from that Oblivion shitfest.

VandalD

the_prime_mover said:
Now my character has arrows sticking out of them and they won't go away.
Do you have arrows in your inventory? Try dropping all of them or re-equipping them. I remember that working in Oblivion.

Ashour

So I have one shout locked and I have one dragon soul, but when I try to unlock it, it says it needs a dragon soul. Is this a glitch or do some shouts need more than one soul?

moop1167 said:
Okay so I verified the integrity of game cache and reset my .INI files, and still, when I am at character creation, the Khajiit face is transparent. wtf?

Ah, good, it isn't just me then?

I first noticed this bug on the Khajiit's outside of Winterun and thought they were supposed to look kind of ghost-like as only two of them were affect, Khayla and the other one whose name begins with an A, but the rest looked fine, including the trader sat down in the entrance to his tent.

Since then I've noticed this on at least one of the other enemy creatures shown during the loading screens (since these are realtime 3D models that can be rotated... if you're quick enough!). I can't remember which it was though, sorry.

I initially thought it was a driver bug with the latest NVIDIA 285.79 betas but perhaps it's a game bug then?

I should add that I've been playing this incredibly awesome game for 28 hours now with few issues other than the odd unexpected exit to the desktop, normally while taking screenshots with MSI Afterburner (I refuse to call them crashes since there is no error window nor is there any entry in the Event log to suggest they are crashes). The only tweaks I've made are to increase the quality of the water otherwise I'm running at 1920x1200, Ultra quality, 4xAA/16xAF/FXAA on and Object Detail Fade off.

Rokam

Ezahn said:
I'm having troubles with my Khajiit rogue-like.

Planned to use claws and bow, but the claws are like fixed damage and do not increase any ability if I use them. No good.

And sneaking around is feeling pretty useless atm (every bad sees me and then I'm in trouble ^^ "Hired Thugs" beat me in pulp).

I'm thinking of ditching the cat for a all-mage Breton.
But if someone has tips... I'll be glad to think abou saving the cat!

Should I level one handed? Sneaking? Any tips for silent assassins/claw using purrrrrrrrrs?

I believe Heavy Armor has a fighting with fists perk. Don't have the game but recall seeing something about bare hands.

the_prime_mover said:

Had the same problem, fixed it by getting shot by more arrows. Apparently you can use the sex change console command to clear them off on pc (then use it again to revert to your original gender).

daviyoung

Banned
Is there any official documentation from Bethesda about this not using Gamebryo? Because I've played like 8 hours, and it's definitely using Gamebryo.

Yoshichan

So I want to continue playing again... but I check my Youtube and see that my 50000 subscribers posted update videos (mostly of Skyrim)... fuck, oh well. I'll be watching 5 hours of Skyrim, then I'll be playing more Skyrim.

SKYRIM. SKYRIM. SKYRIM!

Ezahn

Rokam said:
I believe Heavy Armor has a fighting with fists perk. Don't have the game but recall seeing something about bare hands.

Right, it has.
But isn't wearing heavy armour a no-go if you want to sneak and prowl and be agile?

So when I made my Breton I minimized the muscle slider as I was planning a dedicated caster and wanted him to look the part. As I've been spending some time in 3rd person though, I've noticed that My guy looks like a Hobbit or something compared to all the giant denizens of the world. So was it my choice to be skinny that made me short, or are Bretons just super tiny?

neorej said:
How the hell do you cure Ataxia?

Cure disease potion or visiting a shrine.

Izayoi

Banned
Oblivionmancer said:
It makes Oblivion irrelevant and obsolete. Because it exists, there is no reason to ever play Oblivion again. I'd say.
That is 100% accurate. I will never touch a previous Elder Scrolls game ever again.

Acheteedo

Anyone know if Ranmir from Winterhold is a part of any quests? He got toasted by a dragon and I'm wondering what the impact will be!

f0rk

daviyoung said:
Is there any official documentation from Bethesda about this not using Gamebryo? Because I've played like 8 hours, and it's definitely using Gamebryo.
Yeah its better but when you see the finisher moves its clearly the fallout engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom