• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

Izayoi said:
So, it's safe to just dump everything in a chest in your house, right?

I vaguely remember some weird Oblivion bug where you'd randomly lose everything that was stored in a chest.

Is that also the case here?

Edit: lol zlatko

This shit happened in FO3 as well so I wouldn't bet on it not happening.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Drazgul said:
Meh, my smithing is dragging behind... You guys just bought the ingots from vendors or what?

The problem with that would be that everything is expensive as shit, and for the loot you bring in those jerks pay only 10% or so of their worth.
you make money back by grindstoning and selling what you forge. if you just make basic daggers and sell them, your wallet gets raped.

alternatively, you could just go mine the ore yourself.

Drazgul said:
Meh, my smithing is dragging behind... You guys just bought the ingots from vendors or what?

The problem with that would be that everything is expensive as shit, and for the loot you bring in those jerks pay only 10% or so of their worth.

I just kinda find ingots lying around, and use those. And I know what you mean about the vendors. They're as cheap as the guys from that Pawn Stars TV show

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
pringles said:
Found a contract for me on one of them. Seems Arcadia found out I had been looting her store.. time to get some payback.

..yeah this game is awesome.
Dude Arcadia is so nice. How could you.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
BigJonsson said:
Boooo

Started to fight a dragon

Some mammoths started to attack it

I helped kill the dragon

Mammoths roflstomped me =/
you should have apologized, dropped some loot and left as soon as the mammoth showed up.

The mammoth is dragonborn now.

Echoplx

Anyone who has finished the thieves guild questline completely I need your help, where is the tribute chest located?

This thread moves to fast >.>

Drazgul

Pandaman said:
you make money back by grindstoning and selling what you forge. if you just make basic daggers and sell them, your wallet gets raped.

alternatively, you could just go mine the ore yourself.

The better weapons also eat up more resources, and I haven't found that sharpening them makes a significant impact on sell price, so I reckon my wallet would still get it. :p

Yeah guess I have to go look for ore veins some more, I've just found a few iron and some orichalcum veins so far. They do get depleted very quickly tho.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So I married Ysolda, but our ceremony was crashed...I guess Lydia was jealous! She died a long time ago in my game, but I guess was meant to show up because she also was in Whiterun, so her looted corpse just plops through the door and makes everyone get pissed at me. Luckily I was able to re-setup the wedding without that happening, but it was hilarious and the only actual glitch I've encountered so far.

So where do you buy the ingots to level up blacksmithing?

What is the whole process that everyone seems to be abusing? :p I must do this!

Papercuts said:
So I married Ysolda, but our ceremony was crashed...I guess Lydia was jealous! She died a long time ago in my game, but I guess was meant to show up because she also was in Whiterun, so her looted corpse just plops through the door and makes everyone get pissed at me. Luckily I was able to re-setup the wedding without that happening, but it was hilarious and the only actual glitch I've encountered so far.

wait what? haha

EDIT: Oh and I chose Wood Elf.. I haven't used his stupid beast taming thing.. once.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Drazgul said:
The better weapons also eat up more resources, and I haven't found that sharpening them makes a significant impact on sell price, so I reckon my wallet would still get it. :p

Yeah guess I have to go look for ore veins some more, I've just found a few iron and some orichalcum veins so far. They do get depleted very quickly tho.
there is one awesome ebony mine in an orc settlement to the southeast of ulfric's city.

its like:
ulfric city
river~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
road______________________
mountain-------------------------
settlement------------>

frey

I can't be the only one who listens to the music on the main menu while reading this thread surely? The music is incredible.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
the smiths sell them, under misc.

whiterun is the best city because the smith there has two npc's with seperate inventories to buy from.
second best is solitude because there are a ton of ingots to steal.

rakhir

TurtleSnatcher said:
Every smithy has them on the Misc options in the store - buy every iron ignot and make iron daggers. :)

Edit:
Also, i envy Bethesda that they included that random quest generator with all those bounties everywhere. It's a brilliant idea, since it's a basically worthless kill quest (100 septims, please), but i'll still do them every time i have one. :)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TurtleSnatcher said:

wait what? haha

EDIT: Oh and I chose Wood Elf.. I haven't used his stupid beast taming thing.. once.

When you marry an NPC, people from that town(I guess?) show up to watch. I had a corpse from way earlier show up with the group, which made everyone leave and call me terrible. Wasn't my fault. :(

Yager

Banned
So I was going to kill some random guy for the Dark Brotherhood; it was at night, the sky was covered in an awesome aurora borealis, I mean, it was something beautiful...and suddenly I hear the shout of a dragon. I couldn't see shit, so I run and hide behind some rocks like a little pussy; I start looking around to find out where the dragon was, when I feel something lands behind me. I turn around: the motherfucker was there doing nothing, just staring at me. I went in "WTF's going on" mode, didn't know how to react...until that bastard spit fire all over me. It took me a while, but I finally killed him.

By the time his body was consuming and I was absorbing his soul, sun was showing up. I was such a magical experience. It seemed that it was all scripted, the weather, timing, dragon's behaviour...but it wasn't. It was just pure Skyrim awesomeness. I fucking love this game.

Drazgul

Pandaman said:
there is one awesome ebony mine in an orc settlement to the southeast of ulfric's city.

its like:
ulfric city
river~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
road______________________
mountain-------------------------
settlement------------>

Thanks, I'll note that down... No point going there yet tho, I'm still in my mid 30's skill-wise.

Oh and regarding dragons:

One appeared outside of Riften, but after flying around for a while, it just left? How are you supposed to trigger the fight when the overgrown lizard is too high to reach with a bow?

dewkl

Neo Member
Is it just me or are all the guild questlines very ...short? Dark brotherhood was surprisingly short. I also hate when
the db guild gets switched out with initiates. They don't have any personality

Nocebo

TurtleSnatcher said:

So why don't you explore the world of Skyrim and find out for yourself?

posted already?

i-PPTPkRk-XL.jpg

hits so so so so close to home :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
is there any way to find more wordwalls or is it purely random chance that you'll blunder into one every now and then?

i'm starting to build up a backlog of souls with nothing to spend them on.

Other than crafting jewelry(which for the most part doesnt seem to do anything other than cosmetic purposes) is there any other reason to keep amethyst/garnet/ruby/etc gems in your inventory? Or should I just sell them off?

Nocebo said:
So why don't you explore the world of Skyrim and find out for yourself?
I have - Like I said in an earlier post - I haven't really been focusing on the crafting NPCs.. more so just exploring and looking around.

Oddly enough "Exploring the world" doesn't magically mean I will find which NPC's have ingots.. Way to generalize it so much.

I've gone through The Pale, Winterhold, Whitehelm, and EastMarch so far.

Pandaman said:
is there any way to find more wordwalls or is it purely random chance that you'll blunder into one every now and then?

You'll usually find one near dragon lairs. Look for the a dragon skull symbol on your compass.

Is there a button to pull back the camera in third-person mode? It pulls back nicely when I take out a weapon, but when I put it away it seems far too close...

Papercuts said:
When you marry an NPC, people from that town(I guess?) show up to watch. I had a corpse from way earlier show up with the group, which made everyone leave and call me terrible. Wasn't my fault. :(

Haha that is awesome.

That has to be the weirdest thing.. seeing a dead corpse of Lydia just randomly in the group. Poor Lydia.

Pazuzu9 said:
Is there a button to pull back the camera in third-person mode? It pulls back nicely when I take out a weapon, but when I put it away it seems far too close...

I know on the PS3 you can just hold R3 and pull L3 forward and back.

zlatko

Banned
Pazuzu9 said:

You can use the mouse wheel to scroll out. For w/e reason I couldn't find anyway to do it with a regular 360 pad and so I just unplugged my controller from my PC usb, wheeled to a nice zoom out, and then plugged the controller back in.

Antagon

Pazuzu9 said:

On the PS3 you can change the distance by holding the right stick down (ie the switch perspective button) and pushing the left stick forward/backward.

Gravijah

any higher level stealth/assassin type characters wish to share how they distributed hp/stamina? for now i'm keeping them even but i dunno if i should focus more on health.

Lionheart1827 said:
Other than crafting jewelry(which for the most part doesnt seem to do anything other than cosmetic purposes) is there any other reason to keep amethyst/garnet/ruby/etc gems in your inventory? Or should I just sell them off?

Not 100% sure on this, but I think the better the jewelry, the more powerful the enchantment on it can be.

If that is the case, crafting jewelry would have some purpose

Pandaman said:

I had the greybeard boss guy point me to a location after a certain point. Not sure if that's something he'll repeat or not. Also, they are frequently (but I don't think always) found inside the barrows, well all the dungeons with the icon the barrows have.

Nocebo

TurtleSnatcher said:
I have - Like I said in an earlier post - I haven't really been focusing on the crafting NPCs.. more so just exploring and looking around.

Oddly enough "Exploring the world" doesn't magically mean I will find which NPC's have ingots.. Way to generalize it so much.

I've gone through The Pale, Winterhold, Whitehelm, and EastMarch so far.
You haven't explored much then. I guess it's a gaf thing. I was also amused to see so many posters on release day I mean posting on gaf was the furthest thing on my mind the last 3 days. The only reason I'm posting now is because I'm bored at work.

Gravijah said:
any higher level stealth/assassin type characters wish to share how they distributed hp/stamina? for now i'm keeping them even but i dunno if i should focus more on health.
At level 31 I think I have about 9-10 points more in stamina than I do in hp. If I feel like I'm having too much trouble surviving in close combat I put a point in health or if I feel like I haven't put anything in health for the last few levels I may put a point there in anticipation for the future... but otherwise it's stamina all the way.

TemplaerDude said:
I know on the PS3 you can just hold R3 and pull L3 forward and back.
zlatko said:
You can use the mouse wheel to scroll out. For w/e reason I couldn't find anyway to do it with a regular 360 pad and so I just unplugged my controller from my PC usb, wheeled to a nice zoom out, and then plugged the controller back in.
Antagon said:
On the PS3 you can change the distance by holding the right stick down (ie the switch perspective button) and pushing the left stick forward/backward.
Sweet! Thanks guys. :)

CrocMother said:
Not 100% sure on this, but I think the better the jewelry, the more powerful the enchantment on it can be.

If that is the case, crafting jewelry would have some purpose

As far as I can tell, enchantment strength is based entirely on your enchantment skill an perks, and the strength of the soul gem you use, and nothing else.

Wanace

Wow, working on the Imperial quests right now, after completing the main quest.

I highly recommend that when you have to defend
Whiterun
that if you have the dragon shout that allows you to summon
a dragon
that you use it, it makes the fight so so awesome.

Screenshot: http://i42.tinypic.com/p0izp.jpg

NBtoaster

Pandaman said:

Go to High Hrothgar, there's an option with the guy who talks (agemir?) to point out locations with words on your map. He's given me 4 so far.

Arjen

NBtoaster said:
Go to High Hrothgar, there's an option with the guy who talks (agemir?) to point out locations with words on your map. He's given me 4 so far.

Oh nice, that's a good tip!

ElyrionX

For those who have finished the mage college line of quests, do you get any good leveled loot rewards from them to justify delaying doing them till as late as possible?

rakhir

Yesterday I've done the quest that initiates Dark Brotherhood chain - killing
Grelod the Kind
It couldn't get any better: I walked into the building, went to her room. She was sitting next to her desk, her back facing the doors. I've walked to her with my weapons out, and that's when skyrim randomly triggered one of the kill finishers - i watched in first person as my character crossed his two axes around her neck and violently cut her head. Lifeless body hit the floor and the chopped head rolled, still screaming in pain.

It was such a brilliant, random moment that happens only in games like this one.

Oblivionmancer said:
Hm, a little stuck. Mastered Destruction, talked to
the destruction trainer in the College, completed the quest
and got the fire spell, but I'm specced for lightning. Don't really want be spoiled but I have to wonder if anyone can at least tell me if I'll find my way to the other master spells in the normal course of the game, if I need to seek out other trainers for more quests or what. I'd really appreciate the most general possible answer if anyone knows.

Edited. Decided my own post was a little more specific than some might like.

Quoting once more for a fresh page. Guess this question might be a bit obscure so soon after launch?

Either way, being a mage is awesome. My Thunderbolt kills just about anything in a couple of hits, and staggers whatever it doesn't and thanks to my enchanting skills, the base cost to cast it is only 4 magicka out of my 400+ pool. Being a master mage is underwhelming with just the fire spell though, the spell takes forever to wind up, is only useful in close range, and can be canceled by getting hit. The hell. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom