• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Mike Works said:
Sorry, I forgot to clarify, I'm playing it on a PS3.

I can load the game just fine, but once I do, it tells me that I won't get any trophies (which I don't care about) and I won't be able to save the game since it's owned by, I guess, my brother.

Three days of progress seemingly lost.

Sneak into your brothers place in the dead of night and swap ps3s?

syllogism

KorrZ said:
Wow, my mage is an unstoppable beast right now :) Item Name spoils:
I'm rocking Morekei's Mask +100% Regen, Arch-Mage Robes, -15% to all spell casting, +50 magicka, +100% Regen, Thalmor Gloves, enchanted to give +60 Magicka, Savos Aren's Amulet +50 Magicka, and a ring of +40% regen as well as the +50% Regen perk from restoration.

TLDR: I have about 500 Magicka and +290% Magicka Regen and I haven't even got the dual enchants perk yet, that'll be fun :)
High magicka and regen are nice, but you can also stack -x% to spell casting bonuses until your highest level spells cost (almost?) no mana to cast.

Is it just me, or are dragons basically pushovers in this? The first time one showed up I thought for sure it was going to wipe me out or retreat for me to kill later when I was higher level or something. Have now taken two out, neither of them gave me any trouble at all.

KorrZ

syllogism said:
High magicka and regen are nice, but you can also stack -x% to spell casting bonuses until your highest level spells cost (almost?) no mana to cast.

That's true, but I'm not sure if there's a way to learn how to enchant the generic -x% to all spell schools. So far I can only enchant to a specific school of magic, which is why I prefer the magicka/regen stacking route since I rotate between all my schools of magic pretty constantly.

Zeliard

cackhyena said:
I just turned him down. Going to get him when I get back there.

Only downside is he's a gross Imperial. :p

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Is it just me, or are dragons basically pushovers in this? The first time one showed up I thought for sure it was going to wipe me out or retreat for me to kill later when I was higher level or something. Have now taken two out, neither of them gave me any trouble at all.

I don't find that to be the case in Master difficulty. Even the basic dragons practically one-shot my Mage, and they take quite a bit to kill.

Arjen

ThoseDeafMutes said:

I have more problems with bears then with dragons to be honest.
Thank god i got a shout that calmes wildlife.

Noaloha

ThoseDeafMutes said:
My guess is that Dragons are a bit more dynamic in their level range, so they'll typically scale to you regardless. Plus there are instances of types of Dragons -- brown- and green-skinned are much weaker than white- and bronze-skinned Dragons, for example (or so a loading screen tells me). You compare the varied level range of the Dragons to an enemy like a Giant or a Snow Troll and I suspect the latter have more fixed level ranges, so if you encounter them early on, they'll wreck your shit; as you progress further and further in the game, I expect these enemies will become less of a fearsome opponent, whereas I'm hoping Dragons will always be worth showing at least a little bit of due respect. Which would all make sense I guess -- Dragons are vital opponents, you need to kill them to obtain their souls. Arguably your first five or so being most vital to get a solid number of shouts under your belt. Giants and whatnot, well, players have no business dicking around with them straight offthe bat.

Nocebo

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Was it 1 on 1? What did you attack it with? What's your level? What difficulty are you playing on?

The first dragon in the wild I encountered definitely gave me trouble, I just got done with a huge dungeon that took me several hours to complete so my health potions were all gone. Any attack the dragon caught me with would spell my doom so I had to flee.

The second dragon appeared near a town so there were several guard with bows helping me take it down, it mostly attacked the npc too so it was pretty easy.

Third one was flying around attacking mudcrabs and sabertigers and decided to ignore me no matter how many arrows I stuck in it. It eventually landed on a mountain path somewhere that was hard to aim arrows at from my side so I had to get close. Still had to be careful getting out of cover to arrow it or it'd kill me with it's ice breath D:

I'd say they've been mostly sufficiently challenging to me, some times a bit easy but not laughably so.
I'm playing on Expert by the way.

Blizzard

Banned
Nocebo said:
Press the holster weapon button. It won't holster your weapon when you've got an arrow drawn it will instead just put your bow back in neutral. Happy hunting! ;D
Awesome, I will have to remember this. I found that pressing a weapon hotkey would work, but hotkeys (1-9?) delete themselves if you're switching back and forth between a bow and a sword + shield combo. I'm not even positive there's a way to hotkey a dual weapon combination, but I just remember that hotkeys kept deleting themselves.

Now that I am pretty much exclusively using spells + a bow, I have a bunch of spells and a bow bound, and I can use hotkeys to switch spells around pretty easily. The bow never seems to get unbound now. :) Pressing a hotkey twice puts the spell in both hands.

At any rate, pressing a weapon hotkey or firing into the ground was the only way I knew to release it. It was funny when I asked someone on Steam about it since they were using a controller and didn't realize you could pull the arrow back and hold the shot. I guess the controller binding doesn't let you hold?

Also I wish there was some kind of crazy one-handed bow or some way I could magic while keeping the bow ready, but that's no big deal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
These dragon priests are pain in the ass. I have no idea how you would even kill one if you made a melee character, I have a hard time not dying even when I take advantage of sneak attacks, crappy AI and shoddy collision detection.

mxgt

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:

Normal dragons are pretty easy but the last few I've run across are Blood Dragons and they are a right pain in the ass. If I didn't have Lydia I probably wouldn't kill them because I'm a pure mage and they wreck me super fast.

Halycon said:
These dragon priests are pain in the ass. I have no idea how you would even kill one if you made a melee character, I have a hard time not dying even when I take advantage of sneak attacks, crappy AI and shoddy collision detection.
I only fought one and he focused on an invincible temporary companion I had with me. I bet they're a real bitch to kill one-on-one.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Random question for those that have the game: I intend on picking it up sometime next week, but how much of a difference is there between this and Oblivion? I played Oblivion for about 20 hours before I quit, but I still enjoyed it, and this one looks upgraded in every regard.

Jintor

I've done my standard thing of overlevelling sneak, lockpicking, enchanting and alchemy and now everything is wiping the floor with me :<

Gotta keep climbing that enchanting tree... I gotta know where I can get an easy supply of giant soul gems, too...

Nocebo

Blizzard said:
Awesome, I will have to remember this. I found that pressing a weapon hotkey would work, but hotkeys (1-9?) delete themselves if you're switching back and forth between a bow and a sword + shield combo. I'm not even positive there's a way to hotkey a dual weapon combination, but I just remember that hotkeys kept deleting themselves.
I've had a problem with hotkeys getting deleted as well in the beginning. To me it seemed like it happens when I've got 2 or more of the same weapon and I think in combination with selling one of them. I've never had it with switching between a bow and a shield + sword combo though. I do that all the time without problems. I'm playing on PC.

Another way I lost my hotkeys was expected though. When you get hit by the disarm shout, it sends your equipped weapon flying. Haha.

UFRA

So I'm considering buying this game, even though I have a ton of other new games right now I'm juggling between. Friends are talking me into it.

My main question is, for those of you playing without the guide, do you feel comfortable knowing what you need to do next? Do you wish you had the guide to use as a reference for questions that pop up, etc?

I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas without guides and just hopped on the Wiki pages as needed. However this game seems so much more involved than those and if I do get it I'm considering just grabbing the guide too. At the same time, I don't have the time to finish the game to 100% or anything, so I question whether I really need the guide unless there's just so much to do you need some help.

Zeliard

Resistances stack right? Got natural 50% fire resistance from being Dunmer and recently found dwarven boots that offer 40% fire resistance.

Fjordson

Halycon said:
These dragon priests are pain in the ass.
Yeah, holy shit. I'm not even quite sure what just happened, but I got utterly and completely destroyed. A lot of spells and minions, lots of flashes of light, and I was dead :lol

He looked cool, though.

Nocebo said:
Was it 1 on 1? What did you attack it with? What's your level? What difficulty are you playing on?

I have Lydia following me around. I was level 8 for the second encounter, and I'm playing on Normal. The first encounter is a story-based one where you discover you're dragon born so that one was even more outmatched. The second was another similar dragon I found while doing a quest to find stolen books, just outside the building where you find them.

Despite Lydia being there, I am dealing most of the damage and taking most of the hits (I'm a Breton mage with no armor to speak of). The dragon just doesn't seem to do all that much damage to me, and anytime I got below half-health I can just cast double healing on myself. I didn't need to use any potions, although near the end of the fight when I remembered I had them I did use some mana ones because I got sick of dancing around in circles waiting for it to regen by itself. Had already got it down to about 20% HP by that stage though.

Blizzard

Banned
UFRA said:
So I'm considering buying this game, even though I have a ton of other new games right now I'm juggling between. Friends are talking me into it.

My main question is, for those of you playing without the guide, do you feel comfortable knowing what you need to do next? Do you wish you had the guide to use as a reference for questions that pop up, etc?

I played Fallout 3 and New Vegas without guides and just hopped on the Wiki pages as needed. However this game seems so much more involved than those and if I do get it I'm considering just grabbing the guide too. At the same time, I don't have the time to finish the game to 100% or anything, so I question whether I really need the guide unless there's just so much to do you need some help.
I played hardly any Fallout 3, never played Oblivion or Morrowind, and I got sucked into this game and am not having problems with it. You can make it more or less difficult with fast travel and difficulty levels. I keep the compass on and use the quest indicator so I pretty much always know where I'm going, unless I want to just strike out for a distant city. Items and spells seem to have descriptions so there's no problem there either.

syllogism

Zeliard said:
Resistances stack right? Got natural 50% fire resistance from being Dunmer and recently found dwarven boots that offer 40% fire resistance.
Everything stacks as far as I can tell. Yes you can eventually break the game, but it will take a while and it's only fair given the monster scaling that is still very much present.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Why do they purposely make the hardcover version of the guide ultra-limited release? When it jumps to $90-$130 secondhand in the first couple days, it's obvious you could have sold at least 5 times as many as you did. Why hate the people who appreciate the extra effort? Why not accept their money? Contrived collectors value is such a stupid thing, especially for something like this where people just don't want their 600+ page guide falling apart from, you know, using it. Just make a normal hardcover and "collectors" hardcover for all the jackasses who fall for that shit.

Edit: Think about it. You could get the regular one from amazon for $16, have it rebound in fucking goatskin leather like a BIBLE and it would be cheaper than getting the hardcover right now. What sense is there in that?

Nocebo

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I have Lydia following me around. I was level 8 for the second encounter, and I'm playing on Normal. The first encounter is a story-based one where you discover you're dragon born so that one was even more outmatched. The second was another similar dragon I found while doing a quest to find stolen books, just outside the building where you find them.

Despite Lydia being there, I am dealing most of the damage and taking most of the hits (I'm a Breton mage with no armor to speak of). The dragon just doesn't seem to do all that much damage to me, and anytime I got below half-health I can just cast double healing on myself. I didn't need to use any potions, although near the end of the fight when I remembered I had them I did use some mana ones because I got sick of dancing around in circles waiting for it to regen by itself. Had already got it down to about 20% HP by that stage though.
Yes, mages are pretty over powered in general, in my opinion. It's no wonder you'd find a dragon to be a pushover especially when using the healing spell and playing on normal.

My first character is a thief type, stealth + bow etc. I had trouble with the dragons as that character.
The second character I started was a mage using every magic discipline and I have to say I felt overpowered from level 1 on even on expert. Even though I haven't fought any dragons in the wild (non quest related ones) with my mage I can say that where my thief struggled and had to load game due to death several times I just blasted through without a hitch as my mage at several levels lower even. :D

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
prowler_ said:
Anyone know where I can find Orichalcum Ingots? It's been driving me crazy.
In the Misc section of shops, especially blacksmiths. They should sell ore as well, and you can mine the ore if you find the right mines. Stores that sell it will replenish their stock after some time, just as their money does. It shows up more often when you are actually around that level in smithing. They started showing up all over after I made my dwarven armor set.

NBtoaster said:
So you can only equip one ring at a time. Lame :/
It would be cool if you could equip 8 at a time, and they showed on your character's hands, and gave a slight bonus to unarmed attack.

Hahahaha, I just started a new game, creating a character and going through the intro yet again, all the while the game telling me it's autosaving.

After nearly an hour of playing, i go to save it, and it won't let me. Apparently because I loaded the saved game from my brother's system before starting this new game, it now refuses to save this new game too. So now I have to turn the system off and start a new game. Again.

Loving this, Bethesda/Sony! Can't wait to crawl through that fucking cave one more time!

UFRA

Blizzard said:
I played hardly any Fallout 3, never played Oblivion or Morrowind, and I got sucked into this game and am not having problems with it. You can make it more or less difficult with fast travel and difficulty levels. I keep the compass on and use the quest indicator so I pretty much always know where I'm going, unless I want to just strike out for a distant city. Items and spells seem to have descriptions so there's no problem there either.

Ok that's good to know. Thanks :)

Arol

Haha wow.

The most hilarious thing happened to me. I'm thane of Whiterun, upon randomly entering the city I was challenged to a duel. After accepting, every guard on sight starts pounding on him while he keeps screaming, "Stop this a duel, this is cheating!".

It was so surreal and hilarious.

xxczx

Blue Ninja said:
A few smiths occasionally sell 'em.
Dice said:
In the Misc section of shops, especially blacksmiths. They should sell ore as well, and you can mine the ore if you find the right mines. Stores that sell it will replenish their stock after some time, just as their money does. It shows up more often when you are actually around that level in smithing. They started showing up all over after I made my dwarven armor set.
Thanks! Guess I'll go shopping around.

CrankyKong said:
Jeremy's gonna sign it for you too

Yeah, I noticed that when I ordered. He truly is one of the best in his craft, so that is a double win for me! Extremely excited for this... I've always loved classical orchestra, so this is a treat for me.

Regardless, The Elder Scrolls have always had a strong musical presence. Luckily, Jeremy just seems to get better and better with each score he does.

Basileus777 said:
Where can you see how much charge an enchanted weapon has left?
Either in the menu, the big bar underneath the weapon model, or in your HUD when you've got the weapon out during combat. The charge bar appears on top of your stamina bar, I think.

Blizzard

Banned
UFRA said:
Ok that's good to know. Thanks :)
You might run into certain bosses or monsters that need a certain magic element to do super effective damage, but to me that's part of the discovery/puzzle aspect of the game. I read a book that gave me advice about a certain element on a certain monster for instance.

prowler_ said:
Anyone know where I can find Orichalcum Ingots? It's been driving me crazy.
I don't know if she restocks anything (not yet for me?), but the odds and ends trading woman in Winterhold, I think it's called, had a couple of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom