• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Heh, did
the drinking competition and woke up in Markarth. If it weren't for GAF, I would have totally missed this quest. I decided to high tail it to Whiterun first because there's so much I need to do around there first. But fuck me, The Reach is bloody beautiful. My favourite area in the game so far.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ezduo said:
So, how many skills should I be working on exactly? I use a bow and stealth when I can, one handed when I get caught, destruction magic for extra damage, and restoration when I'm hurt not to mention light armor from just being hit, smithing for better shit and speech when I'm selling stuff. I also used two handed and heavy armor for the first few hours before switching. Hell, I just found out about enchanting too and the first thing I did was destroy like six weapons to get their enchantments for later. Am I going to fuck myself over? Are all the enemies going to start becoming unbeatable? I already had a quest where I got annihilated by a group of bandits a few times even with a partner and only got past it when I was able to force a one on one confrontation with each.
You level up based on all skill levels going up together, so this is encouraged. Though, if you take the same approach to perks, you won't have anything super cool by the end.

So I'm not sure it's been answered in here, but I'm dual wielding daggers.
I equip them, favorite them, and hot key them to 2.
I put bow on 1
i put heal on 3

For some reason, if it hit 3, i hold one dagger, have heal in my hand, ok fine, well that's it, the hot key is gone/broken. I must be doing something wrong but it's really tedious to have to remap every time I use heal in battle.
Anyone else know what I'm talking about here?

Wallach

EviLore said:
Games designed for this sort of fast travel are not designed to take distances between locations into account for quests. Not using fast travel in Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim is just busy work, unlike in games such as Morrowind or Risen.

To me I'd say it feels more like they just assume that you'll be willing to use the carriage system. Given that you can't fast travel to a location you've never been they can't really assume anything more.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm happy to be on good terms with guards. Some random mages were tormenting a goat (froze it and reanimated it?) and chased me all the way into town, at which point the guards killed them and left the corpses for me to loot.

I didn't see an answer for sure on the tips page, so about lockpicking...is the sound the lock makes useful at all, or is it just totally random where you happen to put the pick until you hit the right spot?

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
So I'm not sure it's been answered in here, but I'm dual wielding daggers.
I equip them, favorite them, and hot key them to 2.
I put bow on 1
i put heal on 3

For some reason, if it hit 3, i hold one dagger, have heal in my hand, ok fine, well that's it, the hot key is gone/broken. I must be doing something wrong but it's really tedious to have to remap every time I use heal in battle.
Anyone else know what I'm talking about here?
I had a problem with hotkeys early on. So have other people. The common factor MAY be if you have two of one item, it causes problem for some reason. I think my bow kept getting unbound when I was trying to switch from sword and shield to bow, but I might have had duplicate swords in my backpack. I don't know what you can do if you are wielding duplicate daggers though and that's really the case.

ajf009

So I went into an alchemist's store and she was asking if I was sick, saying I looked like I had something, then again said it seems like I have a case of the "rattles"

I checked my diseases contracted number in the menu and it was at 0, I also used a cure disease potion, she still says I look sick however..

Anyone know whats up with that?

Edit: Wow I'm starting to think maybe she was just saying that to get me to buy something. he goes, wow you look like you have "blank," I have a potion for that. Nobody else in town says I look sick

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
Games designed for this sort of fast travel are not designed to take distances between locations into account for quests. Not using fast travel in Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim is just busy work, unlike in games such as Morrowind or Risen.

Yup. For the first 15 hours or so, I never used fast travel, but once I started opening up more of the map and more and more quests started sending me across the world and back, I started using it.

watership said:
Running from a Dragon into the nearby town and watching it strafe farmers and guards on fire-breathing attack runs in one of the best things I have ever seen in a game.

And then you notice that no one dies to the dragon and start to wonder why everyone in the world is even the slightest bit afraid of them :(.

Wallach

ajf009 said:
So I went into an alchemist's store and she was asking if I was sick, saying I looked like I had something, then again said it seems like I have a case of the "rattles"

I checked my diseases contracted number in the menu and it was at 0, I also used a cure disease potion, she still says I look sick however..

She does that to try and sell her potions, I'm guessing.

pix

To anyone who has completed the thieves guild quests.

Is there anyway to keep the skeleton key instead of giving it back? I want to keep it, so if there isn't I will use a new save.

Ezduo

Banned
Dice said:
You level up based on all skill levels going up together, so this is encouraged. Though, if you take the same approach to perks, you won't have anything super cool by the end.
Well, I haven't actually used any of my perk points yet despite being level 11. I'll probably start thinking about dropping some into one handed in the near future though. I just want to make sure I've gotten to a point where I understand what I do and don't want to do in the game and work from there. For example, at first I was pretty certain I was going to dump a lot of them into lockpicking but I've since found that I can unlock Expert level chests at my current level without too much trouble so it seems like a total waste. I probably won't go big on magic beyond enchanting and maybe one other magic style for either offense or healing, will only put points in one weapons tree (one handed), smithing will go for all the light armor...that's all I can think of for now. I was just worried from some horror stories I had read about people spreading out their skills and leveling up too fast and having the common enemies being too hard to fight. This might be from them trying to cheat the system though by paying other people to raise their skills and then pickpocketing the money back.

brentech

ajf009 said:

Edit: Wow I'm starting to think maybe she was just saying that to get me to buy something. he goes, wow you look like you have "blank," I have a potion for that. Nobody else in town says I look sick
I figured that's just her schtick.

Zefah said:
Yup. For the first 15 hours or so, I never used fast travel, but once I started opening up more of the map and more and more quests started sending me across the world and back, I started using it.

And then you notice that no one dies to the dragon and start to wonder why everyone in the world is even the slightest bit afraid of them :(.

The dragon doesn't kill NPCs in towns?

Yeah, she does that all the time.

DoctorWho said:
Yeah they do. A dragon killed Alvor and four Riverwood guardsmen in my game.

You know, one thing I miss from the previous ES games is that each race sounded and looked pretty unique. Here, it's sometimes difficult to differentiate the races from one another, and the fact that they're almost all using the same voice set doesn't help either. Beth has over 70 voice actors, they say, but it sure doesn't sound like it sometimes.

Guess it'll always be something.

This has probably been mentioned a few times at least, but how incredible is it that this game has a few pieces of Morrowind's soundtrack floating through it? I know, late to the party, etc., but it was really great to hear some familiar tunes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DoctorWho said:

I've never seen an NPC die to a dragon other than maybe a random guard in that first story quest. Any semi-important NPC in the game can't die, anyway. They just fall over 'unconscious' for a few seconds.

Dragons a total joke in this game and it really breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. I hate lack of consistency with narrative and game mechanics.

Still a very fun game.

Tobor

ajf009 said:

That's her sales pitch. She's trying to up-sell you on the pricy potions.

Venfayth

DoctorWho said:

I'm pretty sure it can, but the damage they do is laughably low I've only seen it happen a few times.

Also, the horse you get from
The Dark Brotherhood, Shadowmere
is invincible. It's great when a dragon lands to attack it, you can just shoot it to death from a distance while it tries in vain to destroy the mythical horse.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For people wondering about the diseases you have, you go into the magic menu and go to the bottom. Select the last choice and it will show you all current diseases, blessings, and bonuses you currently have.

Is there any way to call your horse?

Dice

Wallach said:
To me I'd say it feels more like they just assume that you'll be willing to use the carriage system. Given that you can't fast travel to a location you've never been they can't really assume anything more.
I'd take a carriage to somewhere new, but I like fighting beasts, running in tangent directions when I notice there are saves/temples/camps nearby on the compass, using a stupid amount of jumping and pathfinding to just go over mountains instead of around them, etc.

brentech said:
Not having anything linked to the DPad left/right makes it even more inexcusable (or at least I'm not aware of any mapping to those buttons).

you can set anything in your favorites to the left and right D-pad

that way if you quickly need to switch to healing you can press left d-pad.

you just need to hold left or right on whatever item you want to hot set to.

you can only set 1 item to each direction though.

Derrick01

Banned
Halycon said:
What's "DB"?

dark brotherhood. Their basic gear is pretty godly for assassin/thief characters. One does 20% bow damage and the gloves give you the double backstab damage we're talking about. They had mage gear too on the shelf next to the entrance.

Leunam

ajf009 said:

That's not how you should check for diseases. In the Magic menu, check under your passive effects. Diseases will be in red.

brentech

JetBlackPanda said:

I guess that's something. Thanks

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah they do. A dragon killed Alvor and four Riverwood guardsmen in my game.

You know, one thing I miss from the previous ES games is that each race sounded and looked pretty unique. Here, it's sometimes difficult to differentiate the races from one another, and the fact that they're almost all using the same voice set doesn't help either. Beth has over 70 voice actors, they say, but it sure doesn't sound like it sometimes.

Guess it'll always be something.

Speaking of this, what the heck happened to the Dunmer? In the preview video the only Dunmer they showed had the raspy voice type from Morrowind, but I have yet to encounter any Dunmer with that voice really.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Derrick01 said:
dark brotherhood. Their basic gear is pretty godly for assassin/thief characters. One does 20% bow damage and the gloves give you the double backstab damage we're talking about. They had mage gear too on the shelf next to the entrance.
Oh man, why did I waste my time with the thieves.

That fits my character to a T.

Wallach said:
Speaking of this, what the heck happened to the Dunmer? In the preview video the only Dunmer they showed had the raspy voice type from Morrowind, but I have yet to encounter any Dunmer with that voice really.
Yeah, it's like they pulled their Oblivion pre-release trick all over again. They either have a voice that sounds way too familiar (but I can't place it) or a voice they share with Redguards/Bretons/Imperials/Just about every other race.

It's a damned shame.

ced

JetBlackPanda said:

Damnit I didn't know this, it would be really nice to be able to create a "set" for right and left though.

EviLore said:

Well, if I remember correctly there were plenty of quests sending you across the map in Morrowind as well. But then again, that was never much of a hassle because of the excellent travel system in place. Haven't played Skyrim enough to compare it to Morrowind in that regard.

ironcreed

Banned
I must be nuts. Went out and picked up the PS3 version today as well. I am going to be playing this game for years anyway, so I figured I might as well have both versions in order to be able to give my 360 some breaks here and there. It will be nice to be running two completely different sort of characters as well.

Salaadin

ced said:
Damnit I didn't know this, it would be really nice to be able to create a "set" for right and left though.

I didnt know this either.

I hate the favorites menu and how its just a massive list of everything I favorite. Itd be nice if you could organize it in some way.
Id also like to arrange armor into a "Set" and just favorite that set so I can mass equip everything at once. Its a pain when I return from beast form and Im all naked and stuff :(

LCfiner

so does anyone else giggle each time the "Hans and Franz" accent comes up when the Nord guards start talking?

I think every voice actor playing the guards was asked to do their very best/worst Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation.

Dice

Can you buy a black horse? No white feet, just all black.

JetBlackPanda said:
I wish I knew this earlier. Oh well, good thing I learned it before playing a mage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
K.Sabot said:
Sneak is mad powerful in this game.

30x damage w/ DB gloves? 1 shot dwarven centurions.
Ooooh, gonna need those.

Took the advice of those in this thread and grinded out some smithing. Got 2 levels and up to 36 smithing from iron daggers alone. Made myself a pair of dwarven daggers and upgraded them to superior. Mmm... going from 7 damage in each hand to 16. Thinking about enchanting them. The concept that you can name enchanted weapons is so enticing for me.

edit: Oh and one more "the emergent gameplay in this fucking game, goddamn" story...

I needed cash to buy stuff for the daggers and I had a bounty quest so I set out from Whiterun to do it. Less than halfway there my second random dragon attacks Battle-Born Farm. Faendal lurs him down with arrows- beat this one using melee only- which isn't so easy with a dagger. I'd basically circle him and slice any exposed flesh, then heal up when he took back off. Slew him to the amazement of the Battle-Born audience. Popped back into Whiterun and sold his bones for the money I needed and forged my daggers, one Dragon Soul richer for the experience.

Nemic77

WOW. Just made it to Blackreach...

ancient-aliens-it-was-aliens.jpg

CyReN

Love hearing that "dragon flying" noise slowing coming towards you, your hearts starts beating a little faster in excitement for what about to go down. I really don't know how to explain how good this game is. It isn't the "new game syndrome" stuff either. This game makes me feel like a kid again when I first played Ocarina of Time. Just a really amazing game.

Ezduo

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Anyone know where I can find a 1 handed weapon trainer?
That guy in Whiterun who asks you to get his fathers sword back I believe. In that upper ring where the two feuding families houses are.

Gorgon

ced said:
Impressions after 12 hours:

Overall, love it, it's Oblivion 2.0 but without the lame stuff. I love the perks, it really drives you to level up. I have not even been up to highpoint yet, I just kept running into stuff a long the way. I started the thieves and magic guild last night, I think I'm going to complete the thieves first as that is what my char does best. My char is spec'd in sneak, archery and destruction, I don't even have a melee weapon. Stealth was a little rough until sneaking was lvl 30 - 40 but now I'm rocking the bow sniping, if only they would patch in a way to ID a target from a distance.

That's pretty much my build to. Sneak&bow and mostly Destruction spells. I do keep a dagger for silent kills (use it rarely) and a two-handed for occasional situations, but I will probably seel it.

Now what I need is good magical rings and cloths.

KingK

Damn, with everyone saying how awesome and powerful sneaking is, I'm starting to wish I had gone with my archery/sneak idea as my first character. That's part of my problem with huge games with so many choices like these, is that I always feel like I'm missing out on something no matter what I do.

I think I may finish all the major guild quests, and some other major ones, and finish the main quest as my current guy, then start another character as my Bosmer archery/stealth ranger, and see if I like it better, then complete all the other minor quests with whichever character I like more. I also want to try a straight Nord warrior/blacksmith build, but I have no idea how I'll have the time to play through as two characters, let alone 3.

Pretty telling of a games quality when my major complaint is that I can't play it more lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
3chopl0x said:
Anyone know where I can find a 1 handed weapon trainer?

Amren(?), a Redguard who walks around and owns a house in Whiterun will teach up to level 40 or so, I think. Join The Companions in Whiterun and you can train up to 70 or 80 or so with the Dark Elf there (Athis?).

Cutwolf

Anyone know where I can find the master level conjuration spell tomes (such as Death Thrall)?

Also, what's the fastest way to level up conjuration in your opinions?

legbone

Ezduo said:
Well, I haven't actually used any of my perk points yet despite being level 11. I'll probably start thinking about dropping some into one handed in the near future though. I just want to make sure I've gotten to a point where I understand what I do and don't want to do in the game and work from there. For example, at first I was pretty certain I was going to dump a lot of them into lockpicking but I've since found that I can unlock Expert level chests at my current level without too much trouble so it seems like a total waste. I probably won't go big on magic beyond enchanting and maybe one other magic style for either offense or healing, will only put points in one weapons tree (one handed), smithing will go for all the light armor...that's all I can think of for now. I was just worried from some horror stories I had read about people spreading out their skills and leveling up too fast and having the common enemies being too hard to fight. This might be from them trying to cheat the system though by paying other people to raise their skills and then pickpocketing the money back.

just make sure you grab something for ranged enemies. i started out with a plan to go both two handed and one handed. luckily i hadn't dropped any perks into two handed when i figured out that i really needed something to take care of enemies that kept their distance (or even were impossible for me to get to). so i decided to go sword and board with archery. having a blast so far.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
i just found out that if your horse dies you have to buy another one... I jumped off a cliff on my horse and while it died, i survived! Too bad that was a 1000 gold jump. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom