• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Just shouted a couple of bandits off of a cliff with the upgraded push shout. Watching their bodies bounce off the rocks was too satisfying.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
legbone said:
just make sure you grab something for ranged enemies. i started out with a plan to go both two handed and one handed. luckily i hadn't dropped any perks into two handed when i figured out that i really needed something to take care of enemies that kept their distance (or even were impossible for me to get to). so i decided to go sword and board with archery. having a blast so far.

Yeah I'm starting to think I need to start working on my archery. It became apparent when mages would be knocking off tons of health while I was trying to run towards them to ohko them.

Darkgran

Is it o.k. to clear out dungeons without getting a quest first for the dungeon? Or do some dungeons not have a quest associated with them?

Loving this so far.

ced

LCfiner said:
so does anyone else giggle each time the "Hans and Franz" accent comes up when the Nord guards start talking?

I think every voice actor playing the guards was asked to do their very best/worst Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonation.

Yes, the arnold voice is hilarious.

LCfiner

Kave_Man said:
Yeah I'm starting to think I need to start working on my archery. It became apparent when mages would be knocking off tons of health while I was trying to run towards them to ohko them.

another option: maybe you can learn a couple wards to use as magic shields and then you can use a one handed weapon up close.

xxczx

Darkgran said:
Is it o.k. to clear out dungeons without getting a quest first for the dungeon? Or do some dungeons not have a quest associated with them?
I think enemies in quest related dungeons respawn, I read it on here or somewhere else so I'm not sure.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
CyReN said:
Love hearing that "dragon flying" noise slowing coming towards you, your hearts starts beating a little faster in excitement for what about to go down. I really don't know how to explain how good this game is. It isn't the "new game syndrome" stuff either. This game makes me feel like a kid again when I first played Ocarina of Time. Just a really amazing game.
Yes. Totally. It's amazing how you go from content and wide-eyed exploration mode to "ooooOOOHHH SHIT! IT-IS-OOOOOONN!! Man vs Beast, Spartan bloodlust mode. And then the absorption process is all dreamlike and magical to ease you back into a peaceful mindset.

prowler_ said:
I think enemies in quest related dungeons respawn, I read it on here or somewhere else so I'm not sure.
Not my mission to get the book for the librarian.

ironcreed

Banned
CyReN said:
Love hearing that "dragon flying" noise slowing coming towards you, your hearts starts beating a little faster in excitement for what about to go down. I really don't know how to explain how good this game is. It isn't the "new game syndrome" stuff either. This game makes me feel like a kid again when I first played Ocarina of Time. Just a really amazing game.

No, it really is not the new game honeymoon effect here. All of the little things added up, the attention to detail and the sheer magnitude of all the quality content makes for a rare sort of game. The Elder Scrolls has always had that 'something special' for me, but Skyrim just takes it to the next level in terms of atmosphere and immersion. This game was made with pure love and it is easily Bethesda's masterwork, in my opinion.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Light armor trainer? I've been wearing light the whole game, but it is leveling much slower than my other skills (Destro, 1H weapon, Block).

Also, excuse my ignorance, but to skill-ups even do anything besides contribute to your level and unlock perks? Like, if I'm 20 light armor or destro, does that make any actual difference vs. 50 light armor/destro? If so, what? (Again, besides just unlocking perks farther up the perk tree).

hyduK

Banned
So, I entered a drinking contest in Riften. Blacked out, and woke up in Markarth...inside a Sanctuary which I destroyed. Awesome.

I have a friend who wants to pick up Skyrim but only wants to play the main quest. He's only interested in spending 5-6 hours on the game.

:(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Regarding the Companions quest line:

I've gotten to the point where they want to turn me into a werewolf. Is this a point of no return decision? Will I be a werewolf for the rest of the game? Are there any other Companions quest lines I can follow if I don't let them turn me into a wolf?

watership

ajf009 said:
So I went into an alchemist's store and she was asking if I was sick, saying I looked like I had something, then again said it seems like I have a case of the "rattles"

I checked my diseases contracted number in the menu and it was at 0, I also used a cure disease potion, she still says I look sick however..

Anyone know whats up with that?

Edit: Wow I'm starting to think maybe she was just saying that to get me to buy something. he goes, wow you look like you have "blank," I have a potion for that. Nobody else in town says I look sick

You can check if your ill from the "Active effect" part of the magic menu. Have you slept in a bed lately? That might be what they comment about.

DoctorWho said:
I have a friend who wants to pick up Skyrim but only wants to play the main quest. He's only interested in spending 5-6 hours on the game.

Your friend shouldn't play giant RPG's then. Tell him Modern Warfare 3's campaign is 6 hours...

ironcreed

Banned
DoctorWho said:

What a shame. He would probably be better off with Uncharted 3 or something. Skyrim deserves more attention than from someone wanting a quickie popcorn game.

ajf009

So I just came across a guy named Talsgar the Wanderer out in the wild and he's standing over a couple dead bandits he must have killed. Only thing is he's still in his battle stance so I can't talk to him and do whatever possible quests that would open up.. missed opportunities :(

Yo Gotti

Banned
Darkgran said:

Loving this so far.

I've actually run into a glitch just now.

I found a book in a dungeon I raided way earlier, that I need to give to a guy I just met. Problem is he doesn't have the dialogue option to accept the book, and the quest marker doesn't recognize that I have the book. It won't let me drop it to let the game know that I picked it up or anything, so it seems like until a patch I'm screwed on that quest.

KingK

FlyinJ said:
Regarding the Companions quest line:

I've gotten to the point where they want to turn me into a werewolf. Is this a point of no return decision? Will I be a werewolf for the rest of the game? Are there any other Companions quest lines I can follow if I don't let them turn me into a wolf?

You have to do it to continue that questline. There is a way to reverse it later, I believe, but I'm not sure you'd want to. It's really great.
It's an ability that you can use once every day (but you never have to use it) and it gives you 100% resistance to diseases at all times. The only downside that I can tell so far is that you can no longer be "well-rested" after sleeping because of your wolf blood.

coopolon

Dice said:
Not my mission to get the book for the librarian.

I actually cleared that dungeon before doing the quest. I cleared the entire dungeon but something was preventing me from getting to the boss. I don't even remember what it was because it wasn't obvious as a "you can't go here yet". Maybe a secret door or some refuse? When I went back I was able to get to the boss and finish the quest (although enemies had respawned, annoyingly so cause mages are assholes and make shitty zombie soldiers.)

ajf009

nastynate409 said:
How do I start the Dark Brotherhood quests? 22 hours in, sneak character, but no DB in sight so far.

try to do what you had to in Oblivion. Kill somebody, maybe it has to be someone innocent in this game?

Wallach

coopolon said:
I actually cleared that dungeon before doing the quest. I cleared the entire dungeon but something was preventing me from getting to the boss. I don't even remember what it was because it wasn't obvious as a "you can't go here yet". Maybe a secret door or some refuse? When I went back I was able to get to the boss and finish the quest (although enemies had respawned, annoyingly so cause mages are assholes and make shitty zombie soldiers.)

Are you talking about the books for the
College of Winterhold
quest? That was my experience as well. There was actually a new area I couldn't previously access, and everything inside had been repopulated.

KorrZ

ironcreed said:
No, it really is not the new game honeymoon effect here. All of the little things added up, the attention to detail and the sheer magnitude of all the quality content makes for a rare sort of game. The Elder Scrolls has always had that 'something special' for me, but Skyrim just takes it to the next level in terms of atmosphere and immersion. This game was made with pure love and it is easily Bethesda's masterwork, in my opinion.

I have to agree, this is by a wide margin their best game they have ever made. It's evident in every little bit of this game, the love and attention to detail put into everything. While there are still some small issues, the amount of improvement they've made over Oblivion is staggering and if they make the same kind of leap next gen with Elder Scrolls VI, they really could end up with a perfect game.

nastynate409 said:
How do I start the Dark Brotherhood quests? 22 hours in, sneak character, but no DB in sight so far.

You've probably heard a lot about a certain NPC deliberately trying to contact the Dark Brotherhood.
Follow up on that lead.

GhaleonEB

How I wish the console versions had a way to screen cap.

This morning I was talking to people in the Thieves Guild about the first quest, and I stopped somone next to the fire by the entrance from the sewers. As we're talking, another dude walks up to the guy I'm talking to and crouches down right in front of him, holds his hands out so that it looked like he was grabbing the guy's ass, put his face in his groin, and rocked back and forth.

I broke away from the conversation to see what the hell was going on. The guy had sat down next to the fire and had his hands out to warm them. But the way it overlapped with the guy I was talking to, it sure looked like something else.

Gandie

TESV%202011-11-14%2019-05-33-80.png

Why are you hiding? Come out and play!

coopolon

Wallach said:
Are you talking about the books for the
College of Winterhold
quest? That was my experience as well. There was actually a new area I couldn't previously access, and everything inside had been repopulated.

Yep.

UESP.net is getting so hammered these last few days. About a quarter of the time Is earch for something it doesn't work. I'm starting to memorize their web addresses, like for skills it is uesp.net/wiki/skyrim:skillname

that's the address for everything, but sometimes the name of the article is not obvious

KingK

nastynate409 said:

I haven't actually started the DB yet, but I believe I just started a quest that will lead to them. Try going to Windhelm and
talking to a kid who lives in one of the houses there. His name is Arventus or something with an A. He thinks you're a member of the DB and wants you to go kill someone.

GhaleonEB said:
How I wish the console versions had a way to screen cap.

This morning I was talking to people in the Thieves Guild about the first quest, and I stopped somone next to the fire by the entrance from the sewers. As we're talking, another dude walks up to the guy I'm talking to and crouches down right in front of him, holds his hands out so that it looked like he was grabbing the guy's ass, put his face in his groin, and rocked back and forth.

I broke away from the conversation to see what the hell was going on. The guy had sat down next to the fire and had his hands out to warm them. But the way it overlapped with the guy I was talking to, it sure looked like something else.

Sounds like your friend was getting a SKY-RIM.

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
Light armor trainer? I've been wearing light the whole game, but it is leveling much slower than my other skills (Destro, 1H weapon, Block).

Also, excuse my ignorance, but to skill-ups even do anything besides contribute to your level and unlock perks? Like, if I'm 20 light armor or destro, does that make any actual difference vs. 50 light armor/destro? If so, what? (Again, besides just unlocking perks farther up the perk tree).
I've seen this asked as well and I'm still not sure of an answer. If I level up archery but don't unlock perks, are my archery shots more powerful than they would be otherwise?

LCfiner

DoctorWho said:
I assume that he's just going to get lost along the way and start doing a side quest without even knowing it.

I see this happening. He'll end up completing, say, The Companions quest and think it was a main quest line.

Has the dude played other Elder Scrolls games?

Trasher

Do I at all need to be concerned about beating the main quest/game too early? Will it prevent me from going back and doing other side quests? I just got to where it's taken me to Riften, and I'm currently level 20.

LCfiner said:
I see this happening. He'll end up completing, say, The Companions quest and think it was a main quest line.

Has the dude played other Elder Scrolls games?

No, he's heard of them though and knows how long the games can take to play through. He doesn't want them to interfere with his social life but is intrigued by the great reviews the game has been getting.

Just seems like a waste IMO.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
KingK said:
You have to do it to continue that questline. There is a way to reverse it later, I believe, but I'm not sure you'd want to. It's really great.
It's an ability that you can use once every day (but you never have to use it) and it gives you 100% resistance to diseases at all times. The only downside that I can tell so far is that you can no longer be "well-rested" after sleeping because of your wolf blood.

Doesn't it fire off on it's own sometimes? Also, can you not be "rested" at all, or just not "well rested"? And is that ever, or only if you use the ability that day?

thebeeks

Banned
Rabbitwork said:
i think its really lame that my argonian male grunts, groans, and dragon shouts with the voice of a human. everything else has been gravy.
Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a different voice for Argonians. Hopefully the modding community has got our back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom