• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd like to see an Elder Scrolls where Obsidian writes the stories and quests, while Bethesda does all of the programming and video/sound work.

Locke_211

Does anyone know how the Thieves Guild side missions work? Are they separate to the main Thieves storyline? Do they go on forever? Do they have a purpose beyond getting money?

cackhyena

narcosis219 said:
Anyone else notice (or not notice, I should say) that the music isn't as prominent as in Oblivion? Every tune in that game was so memorable for me, but so far I can't recall a single tune from Skyrim. =/ Same composer too
Wow, no. The music that cues when a dragon appears is alone more memorable than anything in Oblivion to me. There is so much great music in this game.

Esch

Banned
Trojita said:
I'd like to see an Elder Scrolls where Obsidian writes the stories and quests, while Bethesda does all of the programming and video/sound work.
Imagine if this game had been made with idtech5 instead.

Acidote

Papercuts said:
You can see a percent of success with pickpocketing. Typically it's easy to get small amounts of gold or lockpicks, but very hard to get things like weapons.

Thanks, I'm gonna test it right now :)

Thank god for the Charm spell... I don't have any problems with Bears, Cats, etc. Blood Dragons are bitches though but not in a bad way. I have a feeling a lot of you guys aren't using your shouts effectively, Unrelenting is only maybe 15 seconds cooldown and can be used to stop Dragons. Not to mention you should really run away from the breath if you can't do anything to avoid taking full damage. I chug a few resist potions and usually let one breath hit me per landing while popping arrows into the dragon - the other one I shout away. If I can't for whatever reason I just sprint and get out of range of the breath. You can also stand behind something (College of Winterhold has tons of pillars in the courtyard). I've fought a Dragon in the wilderness before that required quite a bit of travelling as I would run away a lot to get my bearings. Regular dragons aren't too hard but Blood Dragons require a bit of work, I find it fun though.

TheJollyCorner said:
I just love the weird random encounters on the roads while I'm adventuring.

I ran into a guy that had painted up his cow and was taking it to a Giant encampment as an offering.
I asked him if he thought it would be dangerous and if he needed any help. Not a single fuck was given. He doesn't need my help.

Followed him anyway, even though those giants creep me out for some reason. :D
Hah. Found an Old Orc standing by the side of the road next to a pile of Sabre Cat corpses. He said he was waiting for death to find him, because he was getting old and didn't want to become decrepit. I offered to duel him to the death and give him the release he sought. It was a good, honorable battle.

Mairu

I was trying to complete some of my quests when I noticed that one of my mainline quests had two objectives unfilled, neither optional.

The quest was The Black Star. I had remembered starting this by talking to the mage at the Inn at Winterhold. However, after speaking to the mage I spoke to the Innkeeper who redirected me back to the mage. I had already spoken to the mage and when I went up to him there was no new dialogue lines. Unfortunately, when I tried to complete the third objective
which involves going into Ilinalta's Deep,
I couldn't pick up the item at the end. It appears that I have no way to complete this quest as neither objective is achievable. I'm kind of bummed out because there's now no way to get this out of my quest log, and the time between starting the quest and finding this out is too long to just go back and load an early save.

So if anyone gets on that quest in the future, talk to the Innkeeper first or don't talk to him at all :(

Sethos

Banned
It's DragonBORN, not DragonBITCH, we're supposed to cut down those fool dragons like it's nobodies business, yo.

... *cough*

Christ I just wander all over the place in this game. Can't walk past any cave withought diving in!
One thing Is how the hell do I unlock the shouts I've found? I've got four shouts that I've found and can only use the quest one and I've killed four dragons :/

stupei

One of Ulfric's advisors (can't remember the name) is seemingly wearing an animal skin helmet. This looks pretty badass and would be a nice change over the traditional horned helmet that covers my character's face. Is there somewhere I can buy one of those or am likely to find it as loot?

Wallach

Trojita said:

I totally want this for Fallout 4. In particular I want Bethesda to construct the actual game world. It's the one thing about New Vegas that sticks out to me where Bethesda just stomps them. Maybe during the course of development Obsidian could convince them to drop more of the level scaling; they used it in New Vegas but I think it was better hidden in some ways (though the merchants were still really obvious about it) and I think they better understand unique loot.

markot

Banned
blahblah...blah said:
Biggest mindfuck so far has to be the Pelagius quest in Solitude. It's some real Shivering Isles weirdness!
I loved that quest, and the character, whats his face demon dude, it was great ^_^

Duki

Banned
balddemon said:
anyone know the item id for lockpicks? i need more ;_;
just a by itself works i think

same as f for money

also how the fuck do i actually activate *companions quest spoilers*
beast form? i select it in the magic menu and equip it and nada. wtf

timnich

What's the best way to spend your perks? Is it a good idea to spread them around, or should I just focus them on certain disciplines? Right now I have points put into Sneaking, Archery and One-Handed Weapons, plus one point in destructive spells.

Absoludacrous said:
Pretty much.

Had an epic fight with a Blood Dragon last night that left a trail of corpses in its wake, including my horse and several bears.
Reminds me of my first random dragon encounter. I'm making a raid on a bandit fort for a bounty. Before I get there, a dragon swoops overhead and begins to scorch everyone. The bandits fight valiantly, shooting arrow after arrow into its hide, but it's not enough. They die, having laid down their vendetta against me so that we might fight a common enemy. I then begin to duel the dragon one-on-one. It evolves into an epic clash that takes us throughout the whole plain. Little did I realize, we were inching closer and closer to a Giant camp. The next time the dragon lands, he makes the mistake of scorching the pelt of one of their prized mammoths. I jump at the opportunity and fight alongside my new giant allies, in a blistering melee of sword, spell, club, and tusk, the dragon is dead before it even knows what happens.

The giants let me stay long enough to heal their mammoths back to full health, and we part ways amiably.

verbatimo

Awesome thing happened. I was traveling to College of Winterholm, and just when I was open the main door music starts and dragon appears. I beat the dragon and it dies middle of the College yard, and then I get it's soul. After that many mages come and wonder what happened and say you are a dragonborn etc. One comment made me laugh, when one of mages said "well this certainly won't help our image". That's because Town of Winterholm don't really like mages, and events like this sure won't help the Collages image for the town people.

I love this game.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Trojita said:

How about let Obsidian do the writing and Piranha Bytes build the world. Great game or greatest game?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Are you guys sure all of the dragon's levels are the same? I ran into a frost dragon that was easy enough to take down, took a few tries though do to not having a lot with me at all. I found a flame dragon sleeping on the top of a tower right afterwards, with nothing on me, and it would kick my ass that I needed to just run away for now.

I am a nord so I do get the frost resistance, which would have helped in the first of these two battles, but it was still pretty tough for what it was. Bears are a lot easier to take down right now.

So there is no way to call your horse? Having to go get it is fucking annoying.

Timber

I got rocked by a frost dragon today and had to bail out. Managed to bring down a blood dragon but only with the assistance of a few giants. Everything else that I encounter in the fields isn't much of a problem. Reading this thread makes me question if I'm playing the same game as some of you.

scy

MasterShotgun said:
Does anyone know what the level cap is? I'm trying to plan out my perks, and I'm getting conflicting information from different sites.

The natural cap is 81 (80 perks); there's ways to abuse it (on PC) so there doesn't seem to be an actual hardcap in place. 81 is just where you'll end up with all skills maxed out.

Edit: lol

Darkman M

Duki said:
just a by itself works i think

same as f for money

also how the fuck do i actually activate *companions quest spoilers*
beast form? i select it in the magic menu and equip it and nada. wtf

Only during night time can you activate it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Realyn said:
Lame.

I dont want to personally attack someone, but some pages ago people talked about lockpicketing. Someone said he could do Master locks with 20 lockpicket skill and if he would have missed 10 trys, he would simply reload.

My personal view: atleast have the guts to open the chest with a console cheat. That way you are honest to yourself, because what you are doing is nothing else - cheating.

Sadly you need the quicksave function because of bugs etc, but I really dont get how people can use it in such a way. Dude, your companion died, get over it. If you never want to die look up the god command ...

That's a game design issue, in my opinion. I'd prefer it if they designed the game more like an MMORPG or Demon's Souls/Dark Souls where there are no manual saves and the game is constantly saving your progress. If you die, you don't load your game, you respawn somewhere. This way you can't have players avoiding the consequences of their actions and adds in a real risk and reward element.

Tenck

Timber said:
I got rocked by a frost dragon today and had to bail out. Managed to bring down a blood dragon but only with the assistance of a few giants. Everything else that I encounter in the fields isn't much of a problem. Reading this thread makes me question if I'm playing the same game as some of you.

This game is amazing like that. Don't think that out of everyone who bought the game, anyone is having the same experience as anyone else.

Anyways, I've put in 17 hours into this game and I'm still doing quests for the people in Whiterun and level 9. Come at me.

ced

Acidote said:
Stealth bow kills are awesome. Period.

Yeah archery pretty much kicks ass in this game. The feel is pretty good, and a stealth snipe is great, if done right you can pop off two shots to a humanoid while they are getting out their weapon. It's also cool how there is a arch to your arrow trajectory, so close targets you need to aim a bit low, and far away put the reticule right on em. The zoom and slow zoom perks help a lot too.

Timber

Zefah said:
That's a game design issue, in my opinion. I'd prefer it if they designed the game more like an MMORPG or Demon's Souls/Dark Souls where there are no manual saves and the game is constantly saving your progress. If you die, you don't load your game, you respawn somewhere. This way you can't have players avoiding the consequences of their actions and adds in a real risk and reward element.
This works really well in Dark Souls, but in a Bethesda it would be disastrous.

Tenck said:
This game is amazing like that. Don't think that out of everyone who bought the game, anyone is having the same experience as anyone else.

Anyways, I've put in 17 hours into this game and I'm still doing quests for the people in Whiterun and level 9. Come at me.
Good on you. Whiterun is a spectacular early-game town.

25 hours in, lv. 22.

Timber said:
This works really well in Dark Souls, but in a Bethesda it would be disastrous.
Precisely. TES isn't about punishing mistakes, it's about immersion.

Tenck

ced said:
Yeah archery pretty much kicks ass in this game. The feel is pretty good, and a stealth snipe is great, if done right you can pop off two shots to a humanoid while they are getting out their weapon. It's also cool how there is a arch to your arrow trajectory, so close targets you need to aim a bit low, and far away put the reticule right on em. The zoom and slow zoom perks help a lot too.

Yeah archery is amazing. I need to train other weapons but Bows are so fun :/

Johnlenham said:
One thing Is how the hell do I unlock the shouts I've found? I've got four shouts that I've found and can only use the quest one and I've killed four dragons :/
Go into your Magic menu and under shouts, highlight the greyed out shout you want to unlock and press the corresponding button (X on 360 version). If you look in lower right hand corner it will tell you how many dragon souls you have already absorbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom