• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

With all this hype and the fact it sounds like Bethesda actually brought the goods this time around, I'm kinda wanting to go for Skyrim over Witcher 2 this Christmas.

Decisions, decisions.

I only have time to play one. =(

Yo Gotti

Banned
Dragon fights are really starting to wear on me. The easier dragons in the beginning were cool because they were a small threat and could actually fuck people up that happened to be nearby so you want to take care of them quickly, but these Blood Dragons are starting to show up way too often and take too damn long to kill. The fights just end up being me spamming health potions while wearing them down slowly since there's pretty much no way to get around their breath blasts that completely blind you and drain the shit out of your health. Then they fly away, circle out of range for 20 seconds, come back and do it again.

Dragons are quickly becoming my least favorite thing about the game by far, if they continue to be this annoying then they might just be Skyrims cliff racer.

Main Story Spoiler:

When you had to fight that giant dwarven mech during the Elder Scroll fetching quest, did it have any good loot? I just closed the gate on him and he couldn't open it....

Pollux

Just raided the mine near Riverwood with my lvl 7 archer dude.

Loot was fucking awesome.

In the chest at the end got:

Amulet of Mara (marriage here I come -- Nord women better like furries)
Orcish Bow
100 gold
A staff worth 250
A mace of freezing or something worth 350
Garnett
Ruby
Soul Gem

Made my SplinterCell-esque dungeon crawl of stealing all the torches and using night eye to snipe well worth it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
What I've been doing is, once I took part in the Civil War, I'd go through 2 or 3 of those missions, then inevitably get sidetracked by a couple of city side quests, then back for a couple more civil war missions.

Like Morthal for instance. I go to the town to turn in some false documents to the Legion, talk with some people, find out about a house fire, and it's Detective time!

One thing I remembered, and chuckled over, is the piss poor spending by Skyrim citizens. I walk into a small town near a mine, which has been taken over by Mercs. I have told the mayor that I'll try to take care of the Mercs, because the Mayor can't pay the Merc's ransom money. I go and talk to the Merc Captain, bribe/pay the ransom of 161 gold (which works because it's "more than we were asking for"), then go back with the good news to the Mayor.

He repays me with 600 gold.

Stupid Mayor, no wonder it's a small town!

mbmonk

I am pretty early in the game
(Just beat the first Dragon @ Whiterun)
I keep hearing about Lydia. Should I already have met her? The only companion I have met is a bard in a tavern in the first town.

TheExodu5

Banned
watership said:
I'd like to know this as well, I'm realllly low on them.
I buy mine from the fence that's made available to you in Solitude after a few missions in the Thieves Guild. Otherwise? You can pickpocket quite a few.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
:\ think i hit a progress ending bug.

i had taken the kill the ice wraith mission and never completed it so when it came time to talk to elfric
for the peace treaty
, ulfric kept sending me to talk to galmar but i also couldn't complete the ice wraith quest because galmar was acting like i had successfully talked to ulfric
about the peace treaty
and not giving me any dialogue options.

are there console commands to force the completion of a quest so i can skip past this bug?

jsrv

Anyone doing the Imperial line of quests instead of Stormcloak? Late spoiler question (Hero of Skyrim achievement):
One of the achievements in the wiki says that Windhelm gets destroyed as a result of a quest. Do all NPCs there die making the quests missable?

Yo Gotti said:
Dragon fights are really starting to wear on me. The easier dragons in the beginning were cool because they were a small threat and could actually fuck people up that happened to be nearby so you want to take care of them quickly, but these Blood Dragons are starting to show up way too often and take too damn long to kill. The fights just end up being me spamming health potions while wearing them down slowly since there's pretty much no way to get around their breath blasts that completely blind you and drain the shit out of your health. Then they fly away, circle out of range for 20 seconds, come back and do it again.

Dragons are quickly becoming my least favorite thing about the game by far, if they continue to be this annoying then they might just be Skyrims cliff racer.

I'm not that far, but here's one tip: The Unrelenting Force shout stops their breath.

cackhyena

Papercuts said:
When they kneel down they lose the enemies aggro, but they can still die from them. Lydia died for me to a powerful storm mage casting lightning everywhere. :(
My companion before Lydia died to the same thing. Urglefurg or whatever her name is that resides in the Whiterun tavern you have to fist fight. She wasn't worth much anyway.

Lydia was a lot better, but man, whoever said get Murcurio wasn't lying. That guy laid out an entire bandit camp because he couldn't sneak up where I was trying to get around them to surprise them. He just went nuts and before I was even down there, the side quest for clearing out this bandit camp was over. I laughed. He's also saved me several times from the brink of death.

Randy

Scullibundo said:
In Oblivion you could purchase them from the Thieves Guild. Haven't checked in Skyrim.

I can confirm that. You can buy a stack from a woman in the Thieves Guild.

EDIT: ^What he said.^

Wallach

Xevren said:
50 for me. Probably depends on what level you are. I was in my 20's when I got it.

So it seems they are using scaling on some unique items. Odd though, because I didn't get mine until level 20 and mine is 60 magicka.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yo Gotti said:

Its probably my biggest criticism as well.

Dragons need to be less common, less predictable and far more dangerous.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
zmoney said:
Made my SplinterCell-esque dungeon crawl of stealing all the torches and using night eye to snipe well worth it.
Oh man, so that's how you eliminate light in those places. I couldn't figure out if you could lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh fuck me

I got something spoiled for me relating to !spoiler just in case!
The Companions
, because I was looking up stuff about the Draugr.

Realyn said:
Wanna make a extra post for it.

How hard do you guys roleplay? Like I said above, I really dont get the reload thing.

For me its:
-No fast travel. But tbh I used it, when I was at Whiterun doing quest. I mostly got one quest, walked/rode to it and did it and so on. But once I was near Whiterun(like on the back of it, or near the farms), I fasttraveld into the City. Because there was nothing I could have missed, like bandits, a dragon, a cave or something. Think you get my point.
-Read the books :)
-No reloading whatsoever. If I get caught stealing, I have to deal with it! Same if a companion dies.
-In a dungeon I quicksave after every 2-3 encounters.
-I try to "play" my char like a human. Like, accepting a quest in Whiterun. Go to the other city by horse or carriage. Talk to people, go into the Inn and sleep. Do your quest, look around the city and maybe accept a new quest and so on.

Do everything during day hours. Take into account what time of day it is before I head out of town (Riften to Winterhold at 5:30PM? Start next morning), or get as far as I can and stop at an inn. Also, buy food and eat it (waiting for a mod).

I never do anything during the night time unless I have a specific reason.

Also, reloads are kind of necessary. Sometimes I hit E before I mouse over my target and steal sweetroll. I would have never done that consciously. Makes 0 sense to deal with thievery when I didn't purposely do it. Failed pickpockets and such I don't reload on.

scy

Papercuts said:
When they kneel down they lose the enemies aggro, but they can still die from them. Lydia died for me to a powerful storm mage casting lightning everywhere. :(

Hm, I'll try again tonight. Like I said, I tried my best to get her killed off with Mammoths and Giants that have their AoE attacks. None of it would kill her. I'd Shout in her general direction and she'd drop dead from that.

Really kind of want to figure this out; would ease my mind a bit on how I want to use my companions.

erragal

Wallach said:
So it seems they are using scaling on some unique items. Odd though, because I didn't get mine until level 20 and mine is 60 magicka.

I believe I was in the 27-29 range when I got mine. I'll verify the amount of mine when I get home too...but it's interesting that unique items have scaling. I actually find myself to be in favor of that for massively open ended games like this.

Chairhome

Nose Master said:
Is there any serious detriment to becoming a (companion spoilers)
werewolf
?
I learned after the fact that you can't
get resting bonus after becoming one
. That's not a big loss though, i think.

jorgeton

mbmonk said:
I am pretty early in the game
(Just beat the first Dragon @ Whiterun)
I keep hearing about Lydia. Should I already have met her? The only companion I have met is a bard in a tavern in the first town.

You get her if you do the main story quests in Whiterun.

Another question: Divorce? Is it possible? I married the innkeeper in the town before High Hrothgar and am seriously regretting it. Especially since it looks like Farkas wants a piece of my Breton battle-mage. I read in other boards that the only way to divorce is to murder your spouse. Is this true?

Wallach

erragal said:
I believe I was in the 27-29 range when I got mine. I'll verify the amount of mine when I get home too...but it's interesting that unique items have scaling. I actually find myself to be in favor of that for massively open ended games like this.

Thing is it appears to be very few items; for example the item you receive at the very end of that same chain is not scaled whatsoever. I'm not sure why, yet.

Yo Gotti said:

Really? I was sort of underwhelmed by the dragon fights early in the game - found it odd that your average bear was more powerful than a 15-foot tall dragon. Now that the Blood Dragons have begun to show up, they're starting to feel like full-on boss battles. Killing them is immensely satisfying. God, their one-hit maul attack is a killer...

scy

Nose Master said:
I don't even know what that bonus does. XP modifier?

+10% EXP bonus for 8 hours, if I recall.

Also, everyone saying Dragons are easy makes me sad :( My Archer had a bitch of a time in the mid-teens trying to solo Dragons on Master. It was disgusting as basically everything one-shotted me, lol.

Loxley

So the strategy guide gives away all of the locations/requirements for every shout in the game....so damn tempted to read all of them but I think I'd just rather stumble across them :)

Derrick01

Banned
Welp I went ahead and married ysolda from whiterun. She apparently has no qualms about having sex with a lizard, so I couldn't say no to that. She probably just wants me for my money though, 20k gold aint nothin to sneeze at.

Yo Gotti said:

They are so much like the Oblivion gates from the last game. At first they are cool, but later on they just throw so many at you that they become this gargantuan plot macguffin annoyance. There isn't enough variety or difficulty to fighting them. Why are giants about 50 times more dangerous than dragons?

I think I lost Lydia. I decided to make the pilgrimage to the College of Winterhold so I could get my mage on, and along the way I took a roundabout route through the mountains which involved cliffs Lydia decided she couldn't jump down. By the time I got to Winterhold I realized she wasn't following me anymore....is she lost for good? I hope not, she was carrying some heavy items for me. :|

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
scy said:
Hm, I'll try again tonight. Like I said, I tried my best to get her killed off with Mammoths and Giants that have their AoE attacks. None of it would kill her. I'd Shout in her general direction and she'd drop dead from that.

Really kind of want to figure this out; would ease my mind a bit on how I want to use my companions.

It does seem odd, i've had a dragon actually picked lydia up and launch her into a stone wall which only made her kneel...so yeah. They atleast don't seem to be able to instantly die.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Derrick01 said:
Welp I went ahead and married ysolda from whiterun. She apparently has no qualms about having sex with a lizard, so I couldn't say no to that. She probably just wants me for my money though, 20k gold aint nothin to sneeze at.

I married the same person, and I'm also Argonian. Is Lydia alive in your game? Because her corpse showed up at my wedding and ruined it, I'm wondering if that is a glitch that can happen to anyone, because it was god damn hilarious.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm pretty sure that Cicero has the most annoying voice acting in videogame history. I sure hope I get to silence at some point.

Ri'Orius

So I have now fought three dragons at the College of Winterhold. I guess they spawn when you reach certain levels and attack at whatever "dragon fight location" you happen across? Kind of annoying: since I'm using the College as my home base for now, I presume I can count on fighting more dragons there?

I mean, it's a pretty cool place to fight dragons. Plenty of cover, occasional magic NPC support. Just getting a little tired of it. I'd prefer to face dragons with some more variety.

Seanspeed

Banned
Deified Data said:
Really? I was sort of underwhelmed by the dragon fights early in the game - found it odd that your average bear was more powerful than a 15-foot tall dragon. Now that the Blood Dragons have begun to show up, they're starting to feel like full-on boss battles. Killing them is immensely satisfying. God, their one-hit maul attack is a killer...
Bears are infinitely more terrifying to me. I cant run and hide from them like I can a dragon and my character isn't very good with melee combat. If I want to survive a bear attack without using absolutely every potion in my inventory(and I keep a lot), I need to get the jump on them or be near civilization so I can run for help. In fact, using an archer/mage character, I've stopped putting points into HP and started putting them into stamina(when I'm not putting them into magicka) so I can run farther!

SteveWD40

I feel gimped as mele only when a Dragon shows up, I am essentially just running about waiting for them to land getting spammed with fire...

scy

Seanspeed said:
Bears are infinitely more terrifying to me. I cant run and hide from them like I can a dragon and my character isn't very good with melee combat. If I want to survive a bear attack without using absolutely every potion in my inventory(and I keep a lot), I need to get the jump on them or be near civilization so I can run for help. In fact, using an archer/mage character, I've stopped putting points into HP and started putting them into stamina(when I'm not putting them into magicka) so I can run farther!

I pathing exploit the hell out of Bears on my Archer; just seems to be abut the only way for me to take them down half the time.

masterkajo

Haha... Just got the wood elf from the first town as a companion after I paid him 300 Gold to teach me an archery skill. Guess what, I asked him to trade some items with me and I took my 300 gold right back. Could level archery pretty easy that way but I guess it is not really recommended because I will lvl up fast without other skills, I guess.

But just so funny when you pay him 300 gold and then just take it right back and pay him again to teach you. Haha.

Derrick01

Banned
Papercuts said:
I married the same person, and I'm also Argonian. Is Lydia alive in your game? Because her corpse showed up at my wedding and ruined it, I'm wondering if that is a glitch that can happen to anyone, because it was god damn hilarious.

Yeah she was there alive only because I've had her waiting at my whiterun house the whole game. I prefer to do my sneaking alone, though I'm having a harder time taking enemies out in 1-2 arrows as the enemy scaling is kicking in so I may need to get her outfitted and ready to journey with me.

Plus leaving her there while I'm sleeping with my wife could make things awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom