• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cudder said:
Still in Riverwood. When/where can I store my items and weapons? Also, where are the benches to make my weapon stronger?

In Riverwood, the smith has all the smithing tools you will need. Workbench is the cleanest table that you can find.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Stepping back from the game for a moment, it's clear to see that Skyrim was made for the advanced player of videogames. I have to stop. I'm making zero progress, merely finding different locations at random. Haven't even met a dragon yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Skyrim so far ?
It sits in a nice plateau between appeasing the elitist douches who loved unintuitive old school shit like Daggerfall and the casual gamers that Oblivion was tailored towards. It's much like Dragon Age Origins in its success at bridging the gap from action RPG garbage like Mass Effect and cult cRPG stuff like Baldur's Gate. Most of that is achieved through the quest journal and quest markers which can keep even the most ADD player focused on a task. Just hit J, click on some task, follow the marker on your map and do it. Doesn't even matter if its main quest oriented or if you're doing it "right" (like going Rambo on a Dark Brotherhood mission), just go do something. You don't have to play the game according to any set of rules, that's the beauty of it.

bengraven

Papercuts said:
I married the same person, and I'm also Argonian. Is Lydia alive in your game? Because her corpse showed up at my wedding and ruined it, I'm wondering if that is a glitch that can happen to anyone, because it was god damn hilarious.

Derrick01 said:
Welp I went ahead and married ysolda from whiterun. She apparently has no qualms about having sex with a lizard, so I couldn't say no to that. She probably just wants me for my money though, 20k gold aint nothin to sneeze at.

My wife is fucking two lizards on the side.

I'm going to jump off the 7000 steps. Fuck the world.

Derrick01

Banned
masterkajo said:
Haha... Just got the wood elf from the first town as a companion after I paid him 300 Gold to teach me an archery skill. Guess what, I asked him to trade some items with me and I took my 300 gold right back. Could level archery pretty easy that way but I guess it is not really recommended because I will lvl up fast without other skills, I guess.

But just so funny when you pay him 300 gold and then just take it right back and pay him again to teach you. Haha.

Yeah it doesn't work when you have to pay people 2k gold for 1 skill level. I have a pickpocket of about 75, have the perk to make stealing gold 50% easier and I still get a 0% steal rate for that much gold.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I really need to get the Amulet of Mara. I'm going to pursue Aela the Huntress. We're both
werewolves
, so I can imagine what goes on in bed. I just hope she's in to elderly men. I should post my character once I get home.

Gorgon

Wallach said:
Question for those of you that have done College of Winterhold quests (I believe at least through the second one):
When the Arch-Mage gave you the Mage's Circlet as a reward for the second quest, how much magicka does it fortify?

40, I think.

EDIT: OK , it seems it scales depending on level.

Seanspeed said:
Bears are infinitely more terrifying to me. I cant run and hide from them like I can a dragon and my character isn't very good with melee combat. If I want to survive a bear attack without using absolutely every potion in my inventory(and I keep a lot), I need to get the jump on them or be near civilization so I can run for help. In fact, using an archer/mage character, I've stopped putting points into HP and started putting them into stamina(when I'm not putting them into magicka) so I can run farther!
Good strategy - there's no shame in that. Say, in one of the loading screens, does it not say that bears are generally docile creatures that only attack if provoked? It's odd that they're so relentlessly aggressive.

I'm playing an Altmer Battle-Mage. Thankfully I can survive a bear attack without draining all of my potions with the help of my summoned atronachs. Summon, cast Stoneskin, summon a bound sword and duel-wield the bear to death.

-GOUKI-

TheExodu5 said:
That's quite ridiculous, then. Apparently you can make a sword that does thousands of damage. :|

1) Enchant gear that boosts alchemy
2) Make potions that boost enchanting
3) Repeat x3
4) Enchant gear that boosts weaponry
5) Enchant gear that boosts smithing
6) Make the strongest blacksmith potion possible
7) Augment ridiculously strong gear
Errr i suck at alchemy. Someone explain how you do this in english? :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Derrick01 said:
Yeah she was there alive only because I've had her waiting at my whiterun house the whole game. I prefer to do my sneaking alone, though I'm having a harder time taking enemies out in 1-2 arrows as the enemy scaling is kicking in so I may need to get her outfitted and ready to journey with me.

Plus leaving her there while I'm sleeping with my wife could make things awkward.

Yeah, Lydia wasn't very good at stealth, but due to the way it works in this game with the eye slowly opening, you can actually get stealth hits while she was in combat. Nothing like a 15x dagger neck slice on a powerful enemy already being engaged by her!

bengraven said:
My wife is fucking two lizards on the side.

I'm going to jump off the 7000 steps. Fuck the world.

Argonian master race. You'll accept it eventually.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bears? Stronger than dragons.

Big cats? Stronger than dragons.

Horses? Stronger than dragons.

Random bandits aside from the lowest level variety? Stronger than dragons.

anddo0

Armor sucks so far.

Do I really have to invest in the blacksmith perk in order to get better armor?

I'm level 19. I'm running around with all leather (head 24, chest 66, hands 12+bonus with bows, feet 18).

EviLore said:

That's laughably accurate. I've been beaten down by everything BUT dragons.

-TheExodu5 said:
That's quite ridiculous, then. Apparently you can make a sword that does thousands of damage. :|

1) Enchant gear that boosts alchemy
2) Make potions that boost enchanting
3) Repeat x3
4) Enchant gear that boosts weaponry
5) Enchant gear that boosts smithing
6) Make the strongest blacksmith potion possible
7) Augment ridiculously strong gear

Does the game asplode when you use it with 30x sneak damage? Or does your target fly further than when it gets hit by a giant? =O

EviLore said:

Blood Dragons > All of those things.

Anyone else notice (or not notice, I should say) that the music isn't as prominent as in Oblivion? Every tune in that game was so memorable for me, but so far I can't recall a single tune from Skyrim. =/ Same composer too

-GOUKI-

anddo0 said:
Armor sucks so far.

Do I really have to invest in the blacksmith perk in order to get better armor?

I'm level 19. I'm running around with all leather (head 24, chest 66, hands 12+bonus with bows, feet 18).

That's laughably accurate. I've been beaten down by everything BUT dragons.
Lol you aren't exploring enough. Im level 20 and i have full dwarven armor, full elven and full steel plate armor

Papercuts

Some dragons are pushovers but I fought a blood dragon that was a bastard even with the help of a giant and multiple archers. Fuck them.

I've also been getting good armor from chests and random exploring. Have some kind of Old God set that gives buffs to stuff like magika, destruction magic rate, bow and arrow shots, etc. I found a glass helmet and sword last night.

Drewsky

Just had a random dragon attack. Killed it, and as it's burning dead on the ground, the villager next to me says "All this talk of dragons has people antsy, it's nonsense."

Yo Gotti

Banned
SteveWD40 said:
I feel gimped as mele only when a Dragon shows up, I am essentially just running about waiting for them to land getting spammed with fire...

This, you're basically going to get spammed with Fire/Ice regardless of your character build. I'm an offense build that uses Archery, Swords and Magic and it's still hard as shit to hit them in the air.

It's not that the dragons are difficult at all, it's just that they make me waste my health potions and make me go into the menu's way too often. Bears, Giants, Ice/Storm Golems, pretty much any medium/high level enemy is more threatening to my character than a Dragon is. It's just annoying having to spend 5 minutes to kill one every time I leave town.

LilZippa

Like all the past games I'm slowly telling myself not to take everything from everyone. I'm already in the mid 70's for pick pocketing. I just got the take equipped weapon perk which is funny cause I find my self thinking I might have to fight these guys might as well just make sure to steal their weapons before hand.

I also started the drinking contest quest which seems like a lot of fun.

Darkman M

EviLore said:

Yeah dragons should be the baddest mofo's in the game, i hope modders go crazy with different dragon variety's and such.

Kaiken

Banned
Deified Data said:
Really? I was sort of underwhelmed by the dragon fights early in the game - found it odd that your average bear was more powerful than a 15-foot tall dragon. Now that the Blood Dragons have begun to show up, they're starting to feel like full-on boss battles. Killing them is immensely satisfying. God, their one-hit maul attack is a killer...

So those are the Blood Dragons. Fuck them, man. Every encounter with that particular dragon that I found finishes me off with that one-hit. I assume you just keep your distance when their health is low?

Glad I gave this game a chance after doubting it after Fallout NV. Sooooo good. Sorry UC3 Multi-player. Will be spending months on this game!

Papercuts

narcosis219 said:
Anyone else notice (or not notice, I should say) that the music isn't as prominent as in Oblivion? Every tune in that game was so memorable for me, but so far I can't recall a single tune from Skyrim. =/ Same composer too

Seriously? The OST is AMAZING to me. Perfectly subdued in the towns, and perfectly appropriate for the dragon fights. I only recall a few random exploring tunes from Oblivion.

bengraven

Weird how everyone talk about how strong sabre cats are, yet I've never had a problem with a single one.

In fact, I didn't have an issue when I got attacked by two.

MasterShotgun said:
Can you not kill them? And if you can, would that allow you to remarry?

You kill your spouse, you can't remarry.

Wallach

narcosis219 said:

This is not a viewpoint I am able to comprehend, no.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
watership said:
Making them rare would make your dragonshout upgrades very few and far between. You wouldn't mind?

Yes, I would not. They can be a bit more powerful and have longer cooldown by the way. Difficulty is pretty balanced in the game, it provides some challenging fights from time to time, but they missed with the dragon stuff.

balddemon

Banned
wow guys. conjuring shit is amazing. saved my butt against the wispy things you fight in the mage quest line. summon an atronach, then summon a sword and dual wield the swords to perfection. increases conjuring and 1h weapons. pefect!

Papercuts said:
Seriously? The OST is AMAZING to me. Perfectly subdued in the towns, and perfectly appropriate for the dragon fights. I only recall a few random exploring tunes from Oblivion.

Wallach said:
This is not a viewpoint I am able to comprehend, no.

Alright, time to put music on 100% and everything else on 75% lol

Kaiken said:
So those are the Blood Dragons. Fuck them, man. Every encounter with that particular dragon that I found finishes me off with that one-hit. I assume you just keep your distance when their health is low?

Glad I gave this game a chance after doubting it after Fallout NV. Sooooo good. Sorry UC3 Multi-player. Will be spending months on this game!
Indeed, the power of the Blood Dragon lies in its ability to kill you on a whim - I haven't noticed its level of HP being an issue. Just stay away from their maw at all times - flank them if you get the chance.

bengraven

I think the reason dragons are easy is related to their random nature. Beth doesn't want people to bitch because they're running along a field and a dragon drops that they have little to no chance of killing it.

That said, some of the first mods will be dragon mods.

Actually, there already are a few dozen mods up, (including NUDE mods) and one of the mods is for dragons...but is just a retexture.

I just love the weird random encounters on the roads while I'm adventuring.

I ran into a guy that had painted up his cow and was taking it to a Giant encampment as an offering.
I asked him if he thought it would be dangerous and if he needed any help. Not a single fuck was given. He doesn't need my help.

Followed him anyway, even though those giants creep me out for some reason. :D

markot

Banned
What sucks is being melee and waiting for the damn dragon to come down and stop being a pussy >_<; Get burninated alot and need to use alot of pots till he decides to man up and face you!

And yeah, Dragons are too weak and common. They should have made them feel more epic. Plus the shout/soul mechanic is kinda silly, and they should have done something else to prevent Dragon noobosity and commonality. First dragon attacks Helgen? Kills everything. Next dragon? Killed by you and 4 dudes with bows....

Acidote

Stealth bow kills are awesome. Period.

Now I have a question, how do I skill up the robbery skill? Even in the deepest shadows I'm detected when I try to pickpocket a lowbie goon. And I'm not stealthy enough to get to close quarters undetected (I've done it with asleep mobs).

bengraven said:
I think the reason dragons are easy is related to their random nature. Beth doesn't want people to bitch because they're running along a field and a dragon drops that they have little to no chance of killing it.

Yes, we have to remember that this is a mass market game; you can't expect every person to appreciate how relatively realistic the power scale is. You're supposed to be a badass and, especially in this age of gaming, the game isn't supposed to be hard.

Thank god for the modding community (and Bethesda for fully embracing mods)

Salazar

djplaeskool said:
Sabrecats freak me out more than Dragons at this point.
Damn those bastards can close distance in a hurry.

Naw, bears. I can burn up sabrecats.

I hate spiders, though. Just because I hate any kind of spider.

Papercuts

Acidote said:
Stealth bow kills are awesome. Perdios.

Now I have a question, how do I skill up the robbery skill? Even in the deepest shadows I'm detected when I try to pickpocket a lowbie goon.

You can see a percent of success with pickpocketing. Typically it's easy to get small amounts of gold or lockpicks, but very hard to get things like weapons.

markot said:
What sucks is being melee and waiting for the damn dragon to come down and stop being a pussy >_<; Get burninated alot and need to use alot of pots till he decides to man up and face you!
I have a bow with me for just those occasions. A few spells, too.

Darkman M

markot said:

All melee warriors should keep a bow at all times son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom