• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fucking shit, i tried my hand at fighting a mammoth, and the next thing i know an entire herd is chasing me. So while im making my escape i hear the music and a screech and a dragon just comes down an roasts the herd. My dick got hard off that sight

Dresden

Stealth kill animations with a dagger are so awesome. Seems to trigger all the time from x15 damage perk as well; happens like 9/10 whenever I backstab someone. Feels like I'm playing Deus Ex: HR again.

ckohler

I'm an idiot. After a few days of playing I never realized you could actually run. I kept wondering what that stamina meter was even for.

EteRnal_PAL said:
Go into your Magic menu and under shouts, highlight the greyed out shout you want to unlock and press the corresponding button (X on 360 version). If you look in lower right hand corner it will tell you how many dragon souls you have already absorbed.
I wasn't able to do this until I met with the Greybeards. I could be wrong.

ckohler said:
I'm an idiot. After a few days of playing I never realized you could actually run. I kept wondering what that stamina meter was even for.

Besides running, power attacks. Don't tell me you didn't know about power attacks either. Or that you didn't notice that you couldn't do any more power attacks after doing 2 of them.

Tenck

ckohler said:

Hahaha that's awesome.

Stamina is also used for blocking and heavy weapon attacks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
_tetsuo_ said:
I haven't even found a dragon yet besides the first one you have to fight :(
Seriously? I feel like those assholes are fucking EVERYWHERE. I have more dragon souls than I have words of power. They're just showing up everywhere now. I think it ramps up as you play more.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Loving it so far. Wouldn't mind if the first batch of DLC was "The Horsemen's Realm" with an all new revamped horse-mechanic that borrows heavily from Red Dead Redemption.

Wallach

thetrin said:
Seriously? I feel like assholes are fucking EVERYWHERE. I have more dragon souls than I have words of power. They're just showing up everywhere now. I think it ramps up as you play more.

I'm guessing the rate at which you encounter them is tied to the main quest progression. I have done almost none of it (never been up to High Hrothgar) and have killed a total of I think five dragons in 28 hours, only two of which were proper random encounters.

Tenck

Hopefully someone sees this question.

Anyways, during work I was reading this thread and someone was talking about making necklaces to sell. I forgot what page it was since this thread moves really fast.

Can anyone help me out?

ckohler

narcosis219 said:
Besides running, power attacks. Don't tell me you didn't know about power attacks either. Or that you didn't notice that you couldn't do any more power attacks after doing 2 of them.
I'm playing as a pure mage, magic only. I've never used weapons or shields. So no, I didn't know about power attacks either.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Deified Data said:
I wasn't able to do this until I met with the Greybeards. I could be wrong.
Nope. You can do it far before the Greybeards. I had unlocked 4 words of power before I even walked into the Greybeard's abode.

Zeliard

People complaining about dragon difficulty should probably try to realize there are difficulty settings in the game. Switch it up to Master, sissies.

Tenck

OG Kush said:
Ok cool thanks!

Also dragon bones and scales. Any use for them or should I sell them?

The dragon scale armor consists of 12 bones and six scales to complete it. I'm sure you can get them easily, so you can probably sell them without worrying too much.

Wilbur

Banned
Game of the fucking generation, hands down.

Walking into Winterhold and having two dragons attack me at the same time in the snowstorm while the arch mage comes running down from the College to blow shit up was just wonderful.

Lydia got in my way on the final Dark Brotherhood mission (I didn't bring her on any before, but the idea of it being guard heavy scared me), blocked a doorway. I meant to give her a little nudge out but forgot she was facing away from me and I ended up slitting her throat. Whoops.

I suck at smithing, wearing my Dark Brotherhood stuff. And 27 and a half hours in, I'm level 15 with 40+ light armour, destruction and one-handed, finished the Dark Brotherhood, beat the first story dragon, and just got to the college. I've discovered so many places but haven't been in them yet, gonna do lots of quests and then go through every dungeon before taking on the dragons. And then second playthrough I'm totally roleplaying and making a fat old Nord who skins animals and sells them at shops every single day of his life.

purg3

slept with Malkin
so pretty much the exact same speech glitch that was in Fallout 3 is in this. Strange considering they patched it in F3.

On another note, the combat difficulties I was having just got a lot easier now that I have a companion, also picked up the summon Flame Attronoch spell which helps out a bunch too. That thing wrecks shit with its fireballs and then does an aoe explosion when it goes down. Super helpful.

thetrin

Dries said:
Do people know you can look at items up closely and rotate them? Press your right sticks, peeps.
or mouse wheel scroll if you're playing on PC.

zoku88

EviLore said:
Bears? Stronger than dragons.

Big cats? Stronger than dragons.

Horses? Stronger than dragons.

Random bandits aside from the lowest level variety? Stronger than dragons.
I've actually gotten into a dragon fight where it spent most of the time fighting a horse.

The horse eventually died :( I wanted to steal it

Karak

Hmmm. What is the setup to get married? Particular people or is it anyone you can marry? Everyone I talk to says I am taking for or doesn't have romance options or whatever.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if we really are running into the same dragons (difficulty wise). It wouldn't surprise me if it's random whether you get a whelp or a powerful dragon to appear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deified Data said:
Precisely. TES isn't about punishing mistakes, it's about immersion.

I think I'd find myself immersed in the game much more if I wasn't hammering F5 every couple of minutes and actually had to be cautious and afraid of certain encounters.

thetrin said:
Nope. You can do it far before the Greybeards. I had unlocked 4 words of power before I even walked into the Greybeard's abode.
Odd. I distinctly remember having a hoard of about 4 dragon souls, with locked Shouts and no way to unlock them. I remember looking at the bottom of the screen for the unlock prompt, but it wasn't there. I checked again after I visited High Hrothgar, and it was there ("Press Square to Unlock"). Could be it unlocked before that point and I didn't notice, but I swear there was something hindering me from doing so early in the game.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Thanks of info guys. Level 50 should give me plenty of perks to beef my guy up. I've got mostly melee build going on with lightning spells for range and taking on mages. I'm still debating on how much I should put into Blocking, but I think know what I want to do for the most part.

njr

OG Kush said:
Ok cool thanks!

Also dragon bones and scales. Any use for them or should I sell them?

You can use it to make stronger armor. I sold mine since I wanted to buy a house (so I can store these damn bones haha). There's plenty of other dragons to kill so I should be good.

At this rate, I'll hit level 50 by the time I finish the Imperial and Main questlines. I'm going to save the Companions and Stormcloaks for another character. My second character's going to be a Dunmer assassin, aw yeah.

ckohler

Tenck said:
I use L2 on PS3 controller. Don't know about PC or Xbox 360.
Left bumper to run on 360. Be careful to not hit right bumper. My friend forgot which was which last night and dragon shouted several towns people in the middle of their conversation by accident. It was hilarious.

Zefah said:
I think I'd find myself immersed in the game much more if I wasn't hammering F5 every couple of minutes and actually had to be cautious and afraid of certain encounters.
If you choose to play that way, do so. There's nothing stopping you.

jsrv

jsrv said:
Anyone doing the Imperial line of quests instead of Stormcloak? Late spoiler question (Hero of Skyrim achievement):
One of the achievements in the wiki says that Windhelm gets destroyed as a result of a quest. Do all NPCs there die making the quests missable?
Anyone?

Morokh

reading everyone's comments it's like you all stumble on dragons at every step xD

I'm close to 40 hours in and I've only killed 5 so far including the 'first' one, and only saw two others that did not attack me and were out of range.

Seems there are some dragon spawning points and that it's not entirely random after all.

And as amazing as some fights can become, sometimes it's just ridiculous, I just found a dragon shrine were a dragon was standing, I start fighting him, and he ends up stuck on a cliff just below trying to climb his way up to me ..... looks like I fried his brain so he forgot he could fly xD

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
People complaining about dragon difficulty should probably try to realize there are difficulty settings in the game. Switch it up to Master, sissies.

I switched it up to Master, and at level 21 Dragons still seem to die in two or three dual wield flurries. They do a bit more damage, though.

Deified Data said:
If you choose to play that way, do so. There's nothing stopping you.

Are you suggesting that it would be more immersive if you didn't save often and lost a ton of progress when you die?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Tenck said:
The dragon scale armor consists of 12 bones and six scales to complete it. I'm sure you can get them easily, so you can probably sell them without worrying too much.

No Dragon bone bow eh? :(

Zeliard

Zefah said:
I switched it up to Master, and at level 21 Dragons still seem to die in two or three dual wield flurries. They do a bit more damage, though.

I'm playing as a Mage - around level 13 or so right now - and that hasn't been my experience at all. Even with a companion and a pet the basic dragons still take a while to take down, and their attacks have one-shot power.

Dina

EviLore said:
Bears? Stronger than dragons.

Big cats? Stronger than dragons.

Horses? Stronger than dragons.

Random bandits aside from the lowest level variety? Stronger than dragons.

I hear this a lot, but if anything the dragon's scale pretty well with my character. Giants on the other hand murdered me at level 12, but I murder them now at level 29. 5 Arrows, the majority of them from stealth, and they are down. Bears and other wildlife is 5 to 8 hits with my two onehanders. Dragons, however, still take pretty long to kill with them flying around and breating on me. The first was pretty easy, but the second was as hard as the fifth.

Zefah said:

Are you suggesting that it would be more immersive if you didn't save often and lost a ton of progress when you die?
Just play as you like. Stop. Don't worry about how everyone else is playing. Creep stealthily at a snail's pace around every corner, if it pleases you. Delete your save file and create a new character from the bottom-up every time you die, if it pleases you. These are valid ways of playing. So is reloading if things go wrong.

Wanace

I walked into Riverwood and heard the sounds of a fight. People were screaming "Thief!" I'm thinking to myself, oh great, some botched up AI routine is causing the villagers to fight each other.

Nope, right there was actually a thief NPC, getting pummeled from every side by the people of Riverwood. I joined in and helped them put him down. So awesome.

Visceir

Mairu said:
I was trying to complete some of my quests when I noticed that one of my mainline quests had two objectives unfilled, neither optional.

The quest was The Black Star. I had remembered starting this by talking to the mage at the Inn at Winterhold. However, after speaking to the mage I spoke to the Innkeeper who redirected me back to the mage. I had already spoken to the mage and when I went up to him there was no new dialogue lines. Unfortunately, when I tried to complete the third objective
which involves going into Ilinalta's Deep,
I couldn't pick up the item at the end. It appears that I have no way to complete this quest as neither objective is achievable. I'm kind of bummed out because there's now no way to get this out of my quest log, and the time between starting the quest and finding this out is too long to just go back and load an early save.

So if anyone gets on that quest in the future, talk to the Innkeeper first or don't talk to him at all :(

I did that quest but for me it started
at the azura temple and it's actually a way to get the Azura's Star item
, so maybe go visit that place and you'll probably be able to complete the quest.

Edit: 54 hours in now and I'm lvl 32, wearing dark armor, riding a black horse with glowing red eyes and being accompanied by a ghost of an assassin who keeps on telling me how we should kill random strangers for fun. I'm like the end-boss of a game, haha.

I'm doing Dark Brotherhood now. OMFG!!!!!:O

It was cool in Oblivion but this.. jesus christ. this should be the main plot. this is better than the other storylines. I don't even...

Okay I've FINALLY made some progress. I found Whiterun and I've made it to Bleak Falls Temple, and I need some help. I'm inside the temple. I cannot get the gate to open, because it keeps closing and I get shot with arrows. What is the puzzle I have to complete. HELP, I'm actually starting to really enjoy this game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom