• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deified Data said:
Just play as you like. Stop. Don't worry about how everyone else is playing. Creep stealthily at a snail's pace around every corner, if it pleases you. Delete your save file and create a new character from the bottom-up every time you die, if it pleases you. These are valid ways of playing. So is reloading if things go wrong.

I'm not suggesting different play styles are not invalid. You just said this: "Precisely. TES isn't about punishing mistakes, it's about immersion." in response to my idea. That suggests that you think my idea of a persistent save file would be less immersive than the current system where you lose a ton of progress if you don't manually save often.

scy

herzogzwei1989 said:
Okay I've FINALLY made some progress. I found Whiterun and I've made it to Bleak Falls Temple, and I need some help. I'm inside the temple. I cannot get the gate to open, because it keeps closing and I get shot with arrows. What is the puzzle I have to complete. HELP, I'm actually starting to really enjoy this game now.

You should see some panels on the left wall that you can interact with; likewise, there's some stones above the door you're trying to unlock with the same animals from the panels on the left wall. Match the ones on the left with the three above the door.

Piggus

What's the best way to be contacted by the Dark Brotherhood? I murdered someone but was never contacted. Also, a Dark Brotherhood Assassin tried to kill me earlier. >__>

scy

Piggus said:
What's the best way to be contacted by the Dark Brotherhood? I murdered someone but was never contacted. Also, a Dark Brotherhood Assassin tried to kill me earlier. >__>

Ask for a rumor at an Inn until you get the one about
the boy trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood
; alternatively, you can just head to
Windhelm
and get the quest from the quest giver there. Completing that quest gets you your Dark Brotherhood start, not murdering innocents.

Dakota47

Did the dean of the Bard Academy just flirt with me? He gave me some coin and said something like: "This doesn't mean we are an item yet." What is this I don't even ...

pringles

thetrin said:
Seriously? I feel like those assholes are fucking EVERYWHERE. I have more dragon souls than I have words of power. They're just showing up everywhere now. I think it ramps up as you play more.
I've probably played 25-30 hours and haven't seen a dragon besides the one in the introduction.

I also have about 50 active quests (between real quests and miscellaneous) and I've only been to like 3 towns.

Fuck this game. Never played a game this dense. The world is huge and there are ruins, caves or dungeons every 5 meters. There are plants to pick, bugs to catch and animals to hunt. Every person gives you atleast one quest, and some books do to. Sometimes you just overhear a discussion and BAM a quest. Innkeepers can give you 3-4 quests in 10 seconds. Almost all quests are long with multiple objectives, not rarely taking you far away from where you first got the quest.

There are quilds to join, women to marry, companions to hire, horses to buy. You can mine metals, chop wood, make potions/armor/weapons and enchant things.

And then there is a main quest.

Fuck this game. My life as I knew it was over the moment I pressed 'new game'.

..GOTY.

Piggus

scy said:
Ask for a rumor at an Inn until you get the one about
the boy trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood
; alternatively, you can just head to
Windhelm
and get the quest from the quest giver there. Completing that quest gets you your Dark Brotherhood start, not murdering innocents.

Thank you kind sir.

A poor bartender has died in vain. ;_;

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
EschatonDX said:
The nightingale armor is so. fucking. badass.

Looks pretty sick! I just got done with a quest in Markarth and got this SICK MACE! The Mace of Molag Bal!

tumblr_lrscm9jWdz1qdjg0ko1_500.jpg

bengraven said:
Weird how everyone talk about how strong sabre cats are, yet I've never had a problem with a single one.
I have not had any trouble with any enemy in the game because the skill in the destruction tree that causes dual casted spells to stagger enemies is completely overpowered. I can stunlock anything by just spamming firebolts at it, which I can basically spam all day long with how much magicka and regen I have.

scy

Piggus said:
Thank you kind sir.

A poor bartender has died in vain. ;_;

I murdered a bunch of random Hunters and named people I saw on the side of the road.

In hindsight, I think I just wanted to kill NPCs.

Zefah said:
I'm not suggesting different play styles are not invalid. You just said this: "Precisely. TES isn't about punishing mistakes, it's about immersion." in response to my idea. That suggests that you think my idea of a persistent save file would be less immersive than the current system where you lose a ton of progress if you don't manually save often.
Wasn't really commenting on your idea, so much a stating the series' priority. I don't think any enjoyment would be added for punishing the player for their mistakes. Save whoring is low, to be sure, but there's no one telling you that's how you have to play.

Trin3785 said:
Looks pretty sick! I just got done with a quest in Markarth and got this SICK MACE! The Mace of Molag Bal!
Hah, I'm not going to ask you what horrible deed Molag Bal had you do to get that.

Zeliard

I'm having like an inverted experience from some of you. Big cats and bears get a beatdown. Even my horse smacks them around. Dragons are an appropriate work-out.

GhettoGamer said:
So good, just going around stalking bandits as a werewolf

Also, werewolf form is faster than a horse for getting around.

Karish

As someone who never got into Oblivion, I am way more into this game than I expected. I've been thinking about it all day at work.

inky

Vigilant Walrus said:
I'm doing Dark Brotherhood now. OMFG!!!!!:O

It was cool in Oblivion but this.. jesus christ. this should be the main plot. this is better than the other storylines. I don't even...

I'm glad to hear this. I considered DB pretty my main storyline in Oblivion (well, the thieves guild was cool as well) so it's good to know it is still awesome. I hate this stupid week, so much work to do plus I haven't even bought the game. This sucks.

Echoplx

iEiOlx3DFhAu.png

I've done 7 side quests ~100 miscellaneous quests and all the guilds.

I wonder how many proper side quests there are, I could be fucked here >.>

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
scy said:
I murdered a bunch of random Hunters and named people I saw on the side of the road.

In hindsight, I think I just wanted to kill NPCs.

I was walking to a mission and this guy was on his horse with a guard following him. I went to talk with him and found out he was a noble of some house. He told me to leave him alone and that he didn't speak with people such as myself. So I decided i would kill him and stealthily snuck on top of a rock to snipe him with my bow. I killed him with one shot to the dome and his horse just stopped and his guard just looked at his dead body. I kill the guard too just incase and steal that noble P.O.S's horse to help me get to the mission I was heading to. This game is awesome because of things like this! haha

kai3345

Banned
Doing the quest where the Necromancer
Raises that dude's ancestors.

I'm fighting the Necromancer in the final room, but jesus fuck is there some secret to beating this? The enemies keep coming and coming? I would just straight up kill the Necromancer but he keeps teleporting throughout the room.

Trin3785 said:
I was walking to a mission and this guy was on his horse with a guard following him. I went to talk with him and found out he was a noble of some house. He told me to leave him alone and that he didn't speak with people such as myself. So I decided i would kill him and stealthily snuck on top of a rock to snipe him with my bow. I killed him with one shot to the dome and his horse just stopped and his guard just looked at his dead body. I kill the guard too just incase and steal that noble P.O.S's horse to help me get to the mission I was heading to. This game is awesome because of things like this! haha

I was waiting for the part about how the guard just didn't give a fuck and kept going

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
3chopl0x said:
iEiOlx3DFhAu.png

I've done 7 side quests ~100 miscellaneous quests and all the guilds.

I wonder how many proper side quests there are, I could be fucked here >.>
I wish I had that kind of time. I feel like I've been playing every opportunity I've had, and I'm only at 23 hours.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
narcosis219 said:
I was waiting for the part about how the guard just didn't give a fuck and kept going

Haha, i actually did wait to see if he would leave so I could steal the horse with no witnesses but the bastard just kept staring at the dead body of the noble he was to protect. haha

Wallach

kai3345 said:
Doing the quest where the Necromancer
Raises that dude's ancestors.

I'm fighting the Necromancer in the final room, but jesus fuck is there some secret to beating this? The enemies keep coming and coming? I would just straight up kill the Necromancer but he keeps teleporting throughout the room.

I ran into that quest myself on my trek to Winterhold. What kind of character are you playing? On Master that shit was pretty intense and I burned through two staves (one of which I got from
Krosis
) to get myself out of that. My suggestion is to save him until last, and try to get rid of what else is in the room first. Use the room to get out of line of sight of that fucker as much as possible so you don't catch an ice spike in your ass.

scy said:
You should see some panels on the left wall that you can interact with; likewise, there's some stones above the door you're trying to unlock with the same animals from the panels on the left wall. Match the ones on the left with the three above the door.

Okay thanks I got it. Now where do I find the claw? And how do I do the next puzzle. Thanks for all your help guys.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
herzogzwei1989 said:
And how do I do the next puzzle.

Oh yeah I wanted to ask about this too. I got frustrated and just Googled the answer, how was I supposed to know what the solution was?

I'm talking about the
three rings/claw
puzzle.

Mairu

Visceir said:
I did that quest but for me it started
at the azura temple and it's actually a way to get the Azura's Star item
, so maybe go visit that place and you'll probably be able to complete the quest.

Edit: 54 hours in now and I'm lvl 32, wearing dark armor, riding a black horse with glowing red eyes and being accompanied by a ghost of an assassin who keeps on telling me how we should kill random strangers for fun. I'm like the end-boss of a game, haha.
Yeah I was mistaken in the part where I started it, but I haven't tried going back there.

MrBig

Please help
Doing some the quest where I get information from the Thalmor and have to go talk to Endsryl (or some name to that effect) in the Ratways from the Red Flaggon. When I get to him, subtitles from him talking to him show up, and the dialogue box comes up with the thing I'm supposed to say, but he doesn't say anything and when he's supposed to open the door he doesn't. I can't open it and for some reason TCL doesn't want to work. Save and load doesn't work.
What can I do?

Dakota47

Borgnine said:
Oh yeah I wanted to ask about this too. I got frustrated and just Googled the answer, how was I supposed to know what the solution was?

I'm talking about the
three rings/claw
puzzle.

The answer is in the palm of your hand ....
Just look at the claw in your inventory, it should have the correct sequence of signs on it.

Coins

Banned
My only complaint about this game is tradeskills. They should not be tied to experience and I should not have to put perks into them.

So I just started playing today even though I had the game since launch. I'm nowhere near the places you guys are at, so I should have bailed out this OT. I already spoiled myself so I might as well tell some of my experiences.

First off, I must be the most bug prone player on the 360 version. Texture pop ins and screen tearing happens quite often. The game also fails to load sometimes after leaving an area, so I have to start from another save. Luckily I am use to my luck in Bethesda games, so I prepared multiple save files. (Like 8 or something)

So far I just left Whiterun after doing multiple side missions, and
beating the dragon the Jar sent me against
. Right after I left a randomly generated dragon appeared and I was so ready to kill it. Well, I hurt it a lot with my arrow, but after spending like half of my arrows it flew away......

And I don't know if it opens up later, and I might get hated on for this, but Skyrim just feels way to familiar to Bethesda's past games that I can guess what those side quest are going to ask of me. I know it should be expected, and I thought after such a long time since an Elder Scrolls game I wouldn't mind, but I just had that feeling nagging me. Maybe later on it'll pick up.

After all that, is not like I didn't enjoy the game. The combat is improve, and I like how it levels base on your actions. It's a more streamline approach that works well, not making you feel restricted like their previous RPGs. Also just watching dragons fly around randomly is pretty awesome. The graphics also I thought was a step up especially with the landscape and skyboxes. Bethesda has learn a thing or two about presentation.

As of right now I really like this game, but the hype probably cause my disappointment.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
With regards to earlier discussion about loot -

I definitely feel the loot is lacking when you compare it to other games. But then again, I don't think Skyrim (or any of the Elder Scrolls games) have ever been about getting sweet loot. There always is some unique items (Umbra, etc) but the game is more about questing/adventuring then a consistent loot grind.

In my opinion, of course.

Borgnine

Dakota47 said:
The answer is in the palm of your hand ....
Just look at the claw in your inventory, it should have the correct sequence of signs on it.

OH MOTHERFUCKER.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
MrBig said:
Please help
Doing some the quest where I get information from the Thalmor and have to go talk to Endsryl (or some name to that effect) in the Ratways from the Red Flaggon. When I get to him, subtitles from him talking to him show up, and the dialogue box comes up with the thing I'm supposed to say, but he doesn't say anything and when he's supposed to open the door he doesn't. I can't open it and for some reason TCL doesn't want to work. Save and load doesn't work.
What can I do?
that guy is a walking pile of glitches.

for me what i did was mash E to open the door, then went back and killed a thalmor i had missed, returned to his section and the door was open.

this is just the start for him, but i can say ive been able to eventually complete all his stuff without reloading saves or using the console. so its possible.

Borgnine said:
OH MOTHERFUCKER.

Yeah, it was written in the journal of the dude who you got the claw off of. Lol.

And about that :
who the fuck writes the passcode on the goddamn key. WTF. best security measure ever.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Anyone investing into the sneak tree? I originally started with a Dark Elf and was going to play a battlemage type character. But the more I play, I find myself sneaking and taking dudes out from distance with a bow. Up close I use a one hand sword, sneak tree gives good bonus to that and of course the bow, will probably pick those up now. Seems like it could be pretty viable compared to Oblivion.

Visceir

Mairu said:
Yeah I was mistaken in the part where I started it, but I haven't tried going back there.

Were you inside the
star artifact
already? The quest bugged out on me once too when I got pulled out of there and the NPC was nowhere to be found. Anyway, you should consider fixing it as supposedly you get one of the most powerful items in the game (enchantment related)

MrBig said:
Please help
What can I do?

Go do the thief guild quests and return once you've finished those, the door should be open then and you can proceed.

Borgnine

narcosis219 said:
Yeah, it was written in the journal of the dude who you got the claw off of. Lol.

That's the first place I looked, I thought I was so smart. And then it gave the clue, but I thought it was just referring to, like, having to
use the claw as a key
and holding it in your hand. God damn it. Anyway I spent like 45 minutes walking around looking at the walls spamming Candlelight. Which brings up another thing, Candlelight is totally awesome, it's so wizardy, but it only lasts 60 secs. I hope there's an extended one later, or something permanent.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Been using a sword&shield burly nord, I have allot of fun playing in 3rd person with the shield, bashing things and following up with a nice power attack.

Oh and I don't want to change armour, I love my horned helm.

Wallach

Borgnine said:
That's the first place I looked, I thought I was so smart. And then it gave the clue, but I thought it was just referring to, like, having to
use the claw as a key
and holding it in your hand. God damn it. Anyway I spent like 45 minutes walking around looking at the walls spamming Candlelight. Which brings up another thing, Candlelight is totally awesome, it's so wizardy, but it only lasts 60 secs. I hope there's an extended one later, or something permanent.

You can double cast Candlelight for more duration, and there's a perk which further extends duration of any Alteration spells (which is incredibly useful for both offensive and defensive spells).

ReaperXL7

Ok I need some feedback if anyone knows the answer to this question.

I thought that Beth took out Weapon/Armor Degradation? I'm asking because in two different instances now I have had weapons become destoryed on me, an elven dagger, and the Nightingale Blade(lucky I had a recent save to go back to). In both cases I was fighting Draguer, so maybe they have a special ability to destory weapons?

It just alittle aggitating because now I don't want to use my more rare weapons because they might have some invisible degrading stat on them. Has anyone else come across this at all?

kafiend

Borgnine said:

I'm talking about the
three rings/claw
puzzle.

If you are talking about those doors where you can move the three rings the answer is to
manipulate the claws picture in your inventory until you can see the palm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom