• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

ReaperXL07 said:
Ok I need some feedback if anyone knows the answer to this question.

I thought that Beth took out Weapon/Armor Degradation? I'm asking because in two different instances now I have had weapons become destoryed on me, an elven dagger, and the Nightingale Blade(lucky I had a recent save to go back to). In both cases I was fighting Draguer, so maybe they have a special ability to destory weapons?

It just alittle aggitating because now I don't want to use my more rare weapons because they might have some invisible degrading stat on them. Has anyone else come across this at all?

Some draugr have
the disarm shout, which causes you to literally drop your weapons on the ground.

zon

Bah, ordered my copy on Sunday on a website that said it had the game in stock. Today they changed it to "We'll have the game on Wednesday!". Motherfuckers.

Loxley said:
It finally came, totally worth it.
I'm a tad disappointed that unlike a few other strategy guides, they didn't throw any concept art or anything in there. So, believe or not, all 655 pages of this thing are pure business.

They even include a freakin' guide to the Dragon language, including an English-to-Dragon (lol) translation for various words and phrases. An assload of work went into this thing o_O
yeah it's pretty cut and dry as far as strategy guides go, not to say it isnt good, so far ive only really used it for character building

and this is probably a dumb question, but this is the first ES game ive gotten into (put a few hours into oblivion then it was pawned along with a lot of my other shit by an ex) but can I not sale stolen goods? or are there only certain people that will buy them?

GhaleonEB

narcosis219 said:
Ask about rumors at your local tavern
I was hoping for a trigger something like Oblivion. I have murdered some innocent folks, unprovoked, and fended off an assassin from the Dark Brotherhood that ambushed me out in a field. I thought that would be my initiation, alas.

I'm saving the Dark Brotherhood for later, like a good dessert.

Valygar

Cryptozoologist said:
I walked into Riverwood and heard the sounds of a fight. People were screaming "Thief!" I'm thinking to myself, oh great, some botched up AI routine is causing the villagers to fight each other.

Nope, right there was actually a thief NPC, getting pummeled from every side by the people of Riverwood. I joined in and helped them put him down. So awesome.

That was awesome, but imagine my face when I looted all I could take and more from the Jarl palace at Riften. I go out by the main door, thinking "Bethesda should do something about the stealing, the guards are never suspicious if they see you going out of a house at night". Then, the two palace guards start shouting "Thief!!" and I almost crapped my pants, because I had not saved in a long time. I was starting to make a run, even using special powers, till I see they are not shooting me, but ANOTHER thief. It was hilarious. I even think they put to scare thief characters.

GodfatherX said:
yeah it's pretty cut and dry as far as strategy guides go, not to say it isnt good, so far ive only really used it for character building

and this is probably a dumb question, but this is the first ES game ive gotten into (put a few hours into oblivion then it was pawned along with a lot of my other shit by an ex) but can I not sale stolen goods? or are there only certain people that will buy them?

You can sell them if you join the Thief's Guild, in the city of
Riften
. To join them, just go
to the middle of the merchant's plaza and if it's by the day, a shaddy guy will give you a quest about stealing things.

ReaperXL7

Acullis said:
Some draugr have
the disarm shout, which causes you to literally drop your weapons on the ground.

Ahh ok, well it's good to know that, thanks alot, I guess I just missed that part in the fight.

Fou-Lu

Blablurn said:
Where do i join the dark brotherhood?
Go to Windhelm.

Is my battle mage going to be screwed if I don't put perks in enchanting? Seems like I'll end up dying way to easy if I can't enchant my armour and weapons.

moojito

Are there any decent vendors to offload your stuff? Like that scamp guy in morrowind. It's annoying that the vendors in whiterun only have like 1000g.

Mairu

Visceir said:
Were you inside the
star artifact
already? The quest bugged out on me once too when I got pulled out of there and the NPC was nowhere to be found. Anyway, you should consider fixing it as supposedly you get one of the most powerful items in the game (enchantment related)

Go do the thief guild quests and return once you've finished those, the door should be open then and you can proceed.
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything I can do outside of waiting for some editor to come out that lets me toggle the objective as complete. I tried going back to the shrine and there's nothing there, talking to Nelacar still doesn't complete any objectives as there's no new information, and the star at the end of the dungeon is untargetable, probably due to the fact that the previous objective is still listed as being incomplete.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mairu52/screenshot/595828084918554020?tab=public (objectives)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mairu52/screenshot/595828084918576708/?tab=public (nelacar)

Visceir

purg3 said:
Anyone investing into the sneak tree? I originally started with a Dark Elf and was going to play a battlemage type character. But the more I play, I find myself sneaking and taking dudes out from distance with a bow. Up close I use a one hand sword, sneak tree gives good bonus to that and of course the bow, will probably pick those up now. Seems like it could be pretty viable compared to Oblivion.

Archery and sneaking are pretty much the only perk trees I've put points in. Both are almost maxed now, although I still haven't raised the first sneaking 10% perk any higher (think 30% is the max). Most of my gear is sneaking related too: ring 10% sneaking, necklace 15% sneaking, shoes that muffle my steps and occasionally wearing a hat that gives me 30% sneaking, but I much rather wear the 30% bonus to bow dmg headgear. Undead monsters seem to be completely blind in regards to me.

The only thing I really don't know is what to do with the magica/health/stamina bonus I get every level up as I don't really need any of those. I don't need more health as I never get hit, I have more than enough stamina and I never use magica. I wish they had done more with stamina...maybe given you faster walking speed or more jumping power...or even longer underwater breathing. Or faster attack speed.

balddemon

Banned
ok so i'm trying that trick of training and stealing the gold back, but i have 0% chance to steal the gold.

does that just mean my pickpocketing skill is too low? i'm wearing the thief armor and my PP is lvl 21.

fake edit: i just tried added 100 to my PP skill (with equips it went to like 136), and still only had 85% chance to steal the 800 gold the trainer had on her. max is 90% i believe, so what gives? are people just saving and reloading with like a 30% chance to steal??

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
Fuck yeah. Candlelight users represent.

I'm addicted to Candlelight and Magelight. The latter is awesome in some of the ruins, where you can just shoot it upwards and watch it light the environment as it travels to the ceiling.

Valygar said:
You can sell them if you join the Thief's Guild, in the city of
Riften
. To join them, just go
to the middle of the merchant's plaza and if it's by the day, a shaddy guy will give you a quest about stealing things.
thanks, but can I join only 1 guild? had my eyes set on the dark brotherhood

moojito

Just found this interesting money making tip on that reddit enchanting thread. I'll spoiler it in case people think it's an exploit or something.

if you enchant an iron dagger with a petty soul gem with the enchantment banish set to the highest possible level, the dagger becomes worth ~ 2k

fbi

Banned
This might be a stupid question but how do you tell the difference between a one handed and two handed weapon. Is it only the weight you have to go on. Anything around 10 is one handed, anything around 20 is two handed?

zon said:
Bah, ordered my copy on Sunday on a website that said it had the game in stock. Today they changed it to "We'll have the game on Wednesday!". Motherfuckers.

I ordered mine with release day shipping, it didn't turn up Friday or Saturday. I'm away from my desktop/gaming rig for the week and guess what turns this morning right after I leave?

MEATER

I just ran out of lockpicks... Went to several merchants but couldn't find more than 3(!) single lockpicks on sale...

There must be some merchant who sells them - can anyone please tell me where?

Also I could use a hint or two on how to pick a lock and stay unnoticed. There is this house I need to get into to find prove on a lady but the lock is hard to pick and there is a guard running by every now and then... Does time freeze while I try to pick the lock? How will I now I got spotted before entering the house and getting caught?

I even know who has the key to that door but stealing it seems to be impossible for me (first time I try to pick someone's pocket) - the guy always spots me when I try it...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
balddemon said:
ok so i'm trying that trick of training and stealing the gold back, but i have 0% chance to steal the gold.

does that just mean my pickpocketing skill is too low? i'm wearing the thief armor and my PP is lvl 21.

fake edit: i just tried added 100 to my PP skill (with equips it went to like 136), and still only had 85% chance to steal the 800 gold the trainer had on her. max is 90% i believe, so what gives? are people just saving and reloading with like a 30% chance to steal??
Using the Thieves Guild equipment you should have decent pickpocketing success, and it levels so quickly.

MEATER said:
I just ran out of lockpicks... Went to several merchants but couldn't find more than 3(!) single lockpicks on sale...
Fences sell like 30 at a time for me.

Valygar

As an almost werewolf myself (Khajiit here), I have a question about this werewolf thing:

Can I turn into a werewolf without joining the companions? I read some spoilers about that, but I don't want to join the guild/ do a lot of quests with this thief character. But I would love to be a werewolf, I would be like those sabrecats that always kill me!

I don't have any problem with lockpicking. I've wasted 2 points there, and now that I realize loot is random and there are plenty of lockpicks, I don't plan to level it more. Plus, it's more fun if it's hard to do.

pringles

fbi said:
This might be a stupid question but how do you tell the difference between a one handed and two handed weapon. Is it only the weight you have to go on. Anything around 10 is one handed, anything around 20 is two handed?
I can't tell either. A bit annoying.

Actually I think the menus and Quest/Inventory management are pretty bad in this.

AngryMoth

I'm trying to decide whether to help the imperials or the storm cloaks. My natural instinct is to go for the rebels, but there're really racist, and the imperials don't really seem that bad. Is it possible to do both quest lines to a point?

pringles said:
Pretty sure you can join every guild.
awesome guys, thanks..I had to start over after an hour or so because i hit the wrong button when entering my characters name and after searching discovered i couldnt change it, so didnt want to go down a path I couldn't change later

I'm shopping for some spells and I came across these two tomes:

Stoneflesh (Alteration): Improves the caster's armor rating by 60 points for 60 seconds.
$283

Steadfast Ward (Restoration): Increases armor rating by 60 points and negates up to 60 points of spell damage or effects.
$274

Am I missing something? Why would you go with Stoneflesh? Is Steadfast Ward a channeled spell or something and Stoneflesh is a cast and forget spell?

Lakitu

st5fu
ssolitare said:
Dragons are enemy grunts confirmed. They are special, but arent THAT special.

I agree with this. I've not had any trouble with dragons yet. I kill them quite easily, usually. It's disappointing.

Anyway, another long day of playing and another long day of adventuring. So much shit to talk about but there was so much that happened that it would be so hard to condense into a post.

I've seen the great green canyons of The Reach
after accidentally ending up there in a drunken splendor
, I spent more time in Falkreath, I enchanted my first item (Dwarven Sword with 20 magicka damage), I did a lot of smithing, cooking and alchemy (tomorrow I'll try woodchopping and mining), I went through the tundra with the Northern Lights shining down and it took my breath away. I did a few mini-quests and larger quests,
I spared a werewolf, I handed in a Redguard fugitive, I killed a vampire collective for the Companions
, got lost and accidentally ended up in The Rift only to bump into a dragon on top of a word wall, got lost again in a blizzard and got lost again in a mountain range. I killed a
feisty Orc in Falkreath's Inn
a shit ton of bandits, spriggans, wolves, mudcrabs, Thalmor and dragons. Got pummeled by a giant 5 times, donated some money to some Helgen refugees,
freed a Thalmor prisoner on the road only for him to be killed by thugs
, found a sunken ship in a massive lake and much much more. Yet I've barely scratched the surface.

This fucking game.

AngryMoth said:
I'm trying to decide whether to help the imperials or the storm cloaks. My natural instinct is to go for the rebels, but there're really racist, and the imperials don't really seem that bad. Is it possible to do both quest lines to a point?
Wondering about this, too. I really hope I can resolve the Alduin situation without having to pick a side in the Imperial/Stormcloak conflict. They're both kind of shitty.

MisterAnderson said:

Stoneflesh (Alteration): Improves the caster's armor rating by 60 points for 60 seconds.
$283

Steadfast Ward (Restoration): Increases armor rating by 60 points and negates up to 60 points of spell damage or effects.
$274

Am I missing something? Why would you go with Stoneflesh? Is Steadfast Ward a channeled spell or something and Stoneflesh is a cast and forget spell?
Stoneflesh is cast and forget (for one minute), wards in the Restoration school have to be maintained by holding down the shoulder button and constantly draining magicka. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Spokeys

So I have a Standing Stone effect activated. Am I able to also choose a shrine effect from one of those things they have in the worshipper churches also without it replacing my Standing Stone effect?

Visceir

MEATER said:
Also I could use a hint or two on how to pick a lock and stay unnoticed. There is this house I need to get into to find prove on a lady but the lock is hard to pick and there is a guard running by every now and then... Does time freeze while I try to pick the lock? How will I now I got spotted before entering the house and getting caught?

I even know who has the key to that door but stealing it seems to be impossible for me (first time I try to pick someone's pocket) - the guy always spots me when I try it...

Pretty sure time does freeze, just go into sneak mode and make sure you're hidden before you try to pick locks. My lockpicking is already 70+ and I can get open pretty much any lock without having ever invested a point into lockpicking perk tree. That's also why I decided to give up the
skeleton key
, although just the thought alone of having that thing is really awesome.

Fou-Lu

MisterAnderson said:

$283

$274

Exactly. Steadfast Ward is basically a magical shield as long as you hold the button. Meanwhile, Stoneflesh is a timed buff.

So what's the best way to level smithing? Or should I say quickest? I was looking for leather straps to create 14 iron daggers but I don't know where to buy them.

MrBig

MisterAnderson said:

$283

$274

A ward acts as a shield that blocks incoming magic attacks.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
FuttBuck said:
So what's the best way to level smithing? Or should I say quickest? I was looking for leather straps to create 14 iron daggers but I don't know where to buy them.
You make Straps on the Tanning Rack, just make Iron Daggers and Leather Bracers.

Anyone have any data on Armor Rating and what the damage mitigation is? I've done some searches, but can't seem to find anything. I know that Armor Rating goes up or can go up with perks, but I am wondering where the diminishing returns are...

Bukana

My friend told me there is an update he got (1.02), I didn't get it, tried deleting the data on my PS3 hard drive , I only got the 1.01 patch.

What to do Skyrims !?

Izayoi

Banned
AngryMoth said:
It's really choosing which is the least bad in your eyes. They're both evil in their own special way. Really, I would've preferred a third option to take on both of them, or work with both.

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:

$283

$274

Steadfast Ward is a channeled spell and will shatter and stagger you if you take a spell hit stronger than what it is protecting you from. Stoneflesh is a passive effect with a duration.

So i just picked this up like 20 minutes ago and am getting started. Is there any real difference in which race you choose? Like if I'm down to deciding between Nord or Redguard?

Ninja Scooter said:
So i just picked this up like 20 minutes ago and am getting started. Is there any real difference in which race you choose? Like if I'm down to deciding between Nord or Redguard?

Each race has their own racial benefits. Off the top of my head, Nord has frost resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom