• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Scooter said:
So i just picked this up like 20 minutes ago and am getting started. Is there any real difference in which race you choose? Like if I'm down to deciding between Nord or Redguard?
No. Pick your preference. The racial differences are negligible.

Nords may have a better racial ability (their war cry and 50% ice resistence).

AngryMoth said:
I'm trying to decide whether to help the imperials or the storm cloaks. My natural instinct is to go for the rebels, but there're really racist, and the imperials don't really seem that bad. Is it possible to do both quest lines to a point?
struggling with that myself, as far as I can tell

Imperials
-atheist
-open to all races
-currently have a lead in the battle

Stormcloaks
-racist
-religious
-losing but gaining ground

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think the reason that the dragons are so "easy" to kill, is becuase, well, you're supposed to be a dragonborn and probably the only one who CAN fight a dragon without failing horribly.

Visceir

FuttBuck said:
So what's the best way to level smithing? Or should I say quickest? I was looking for leather straps to create 14 iron daggers but I don't know where to buy them.

Every town's smiths sell them. I just kept on visiting all the towns and doing it over and over. Seemed pretty fast to me.

Wow, now that I'm making progress, I'm starting to really fall in love with this game. Now I need some help, what do I do inside Bleak Falls Temple Inner Sanctum or whatever?

MisterAnderson said:
Can anyone tell me if enchanting an item can be "re-inchanted" if I come across a better enchant? Or is it permanently stuck with that enchant?

You can dechant an item

herzogzwei1989 said:
Wow, now that I'm making progress, I'm starting to really fall in love with this game. Now I need some help, what do I do inside Bleak Falls Temple Inner Sanctum or whatever?

...run the dungeon....?

GodfatherX said:

Imperials
-atheist
-open to all races

Stormcloaks
-racist
-religious
It's worthy to note that Imperials attempt to execute innocent passers-by on the border if they even suspect they might be a rebel (even if you're a Dunmer, who should never be helping the Stormcloaks).

They both suck. Please, Beth, don't force a decision like this on me.

StarEye said:
I think the reason that the dragons are so "easy" to kill, is becuase, well, you're supposed to be a dragonborn and probably the only one who CAN fight a dragon without failing horribly.
This. the game hinges on the ability of the player to kill dragons. They have to present a challenge, but an accessible one. Giants and mammoths, on the other hand...

narcosis219 said:
Each race has their own racial benefits. Off the top of my head, Nord has frost resistance.

Yeah, considering how much ice and snow there looks to be in this game, the ice resistence sounds to be an advantage. As far as weapons, If Im planning on almost strictly melee with little emphasis on magic, I should still be alright, right? I think I'm going to create a black Nord.

Bread

Banned
Archery gets so good when you get to level 30. I love the new perks I've unlocked since that point, and now I'm only 9 levels away from Ranger and Steady Hand 2. I can't wait to start a new character who plays completely differently though, that's what I love about Elder Scrolls games.

GodfatherX said:

Imperials
-atheist
-open to all races

Stormcloaks
-racist
-religious

Well, the imperials are also genocides that execute people only for their religious believings, and also were going to execute you without reason.

Izayoi

Banned
DangerousDave said:
Well, the imperials are also genocides that execute people only for their religious believings, and also were going to execute you without reason.
Yeah.

They're both pretty shitty.

Visceir

Buggy Loop said:
For assassin/archer build, should i put every points i can into stamina?

That's what I've done. It helps when you need to sprint and gain some ground or escape a tight situation.

Health and magica have been pretty much useless to me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DangerousDave said:
They're sadly both giant assholes.

OG Kush

trying to make a hide helmet for that lady in Whiterun, but says I need leather. Where do I get leather? (not leatherstraps, plain ol leather_

pringles said:
I can't tell either. A bit annoying.

Actually I think the menus and Quest/Inventory management are pretty bad in this.

Pretty sure two-handed weapons are "Great xxx" for instance, "Ancient Nord Greatsword" is a 2H sword.

Wait, there's a sprint?

Blizzard

Banned
OG Kush said:
trying to make a hide helmet for that lady in Whiterun, but says I need leather. Where do I get leather? (not leatherstraps, plain ol leather_
I -think- you make it using the tanning rack, also near her, from animal skins.

wit3tyg3r

Buggy Loop said:
For assassin/archer build, should i put every points i can into stamina?

Stamina doesn't seem to be AS important to archery as it was in Oblivion. You can keep the bow taught without loosing stamina, unlike Oblivion/Morrowind. So I think it's good to keep your health and stamina up as you level in Skyrim. There are obvious advantages to having stamina up for archery, though (like zooming in/slowing down time).

Ardenyal

GodfatherX said:

Imperials
-atheist
-open to all races

Stormcloaks
-racist
-religious
Imperials are also fascists... but that didn't stop me joining them mwahah. For the Emperor!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
DangerousDave said:
by the order of one officer, the hesitation of the guy with the list [and apology] demonstrates that summerary execution doesnt sit well with the whole empire.

also, you were captured crossing the boarder around the same time the enemy leader of the rebellion [on the run from murdering the king] was crossing.

Derrick01 said:
Welp I went ahead and married ysolda from whiterun. She apparently has no qualms about having sex with a lizard, so I couldn't say no to that. She probably just wants me for my money though, 20k gold aint nothin to sneeze at.

Shes apparently into bestiality as she had no issues saying no to me either...and my shit is barbed son.

Drewsky

Izayoi said:
Everyone is complaining about this, but isn't that kind of the point?
It would be better if it was an every once in a while thing, and they were really hard to kill. But they're not that hard to kill, just inconvenient, and I find them all the time.

I'm loving the hell out of this game but that does seem to be a weird design decision.

angelfly

AngryMoth said:
I'm trying to decide whether to help the imperials or the storm cloaks. My natural instinct is to go for the rebels, but there're really racist, and the imperials don't really seem that bad. Is it possible to do both quest lines to a point?
The Imperials aren't perfect but they're a lot better in my eyes than those nationalist Stormcloaks.

Wallach

Drewsky said:
It would be better if it was an every once in a while thing, and they were really hard to kill. But they're not that hard to kill, just inconvenient, and I find them all the time.

I'm loving the hell out of this game but that does seem to be a weird design decision.

I guess this is tied into main quest progression. I've fought five total in almost 30 hours.

Clevinger

DangerousDave said:

To be fair to the Imperials, though, the latter was just one particular asshole Imperial woman who went, "Ah fuck it, let's execute him anyway." But yeah, both factions are assholes. That was a pleasant surprise.

Blizzard

Banned
Izayoi said:
I've played 12 million hours (or well, 12 hours), and seen no dragons besides the start of the story. If I get one dragon per 12 hours I figure that'll be acceptable! Maybe they'll start showing up like crazy soon though.

Drewsky

Wallach said:
I guess this is tied into main quest progression. I've fought five total in almost 30 hours.
I don't know. I haven't done much of the main quest at all. I fought a dragon about an hour ago, and then about 15 minutes after I fought another. Maybe it was just bad luck.

wit3tyg3r

Drewsky said:
But [the dragons are] not that hard to kill, just inconvenient

Yeah, I have more trouble with Draugr Deathlords than dragons, which is odd. Oh well. Somebody somewhere will mod that :p

I'm ~36 hours into the game and at level 20 (I spent a LOT of time just reading in-game books lol), so I can't wait to see the more difficult dragons that spawn later in the game.

wit3tyg3r

boredofcanada said:
i ended up installing the game on launch night (360) and im wondering what would happen if i uninstall?

I remember reading an article about graphics performance actually being WORSE when the game was installed on 360...I'll look for that article again and link it here if I find it.

wit3tyg3r said:
I remember reading an article about graphics performance actually being WORSE when the game was installed on 360...I'll look for that article again and link it here if I find it.

yes i know. im just wondering if it's possible to uninstall the game.

wit3tyg3r

boredofcanada said:
yes i know. im just wondering if it's possible to uninstall the game.

I'm fairly certain it is. I've done it before, but it's been MONTHS since I've played on my 360, so I couldn't tell you how, exactly. A simple search online should provide the answer.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Izayoi said:
Not only that, but they really don't take that long to kill. It's not like fighting Yiazmat or something.

Realyn

I´m playing a badass Dunmer and was so happy when I got to Windhelm to join teh awesome rebelion. Sadly they are giant racist assholes. So I´m going to join the Imperials Sandor Clegane style!
Just arrived in Riften, which looks amazing. Oh and I so love the Elv armor. Think im gonna wear it all game long. Gonna post 2 screens :)

moojito

Realyn said:

I hope you picked that herb after you took that pic. I mean, it's right there! Looks like snowberries. Resist fire. Pick the herbs!

edit: seriously, how could you pose for a pic with a herb right there. I'm not going to be able to sleep now.

Realyn said:
I´m playing a badass Dunmer and was so happy when I got to Windhelm to join teh awesome rebelion. Sadly they are giant racist assholes. So I´m going to join the Imperials Sandor Clegane style!
Just arrived in Riften, which looks amazing. Oh and I so love the Elv armor. Think im gonna wear it all game long. Gonna post 2 screens :)
Lookin' good. There's something hilarious about the Stormcloaks being beaten into submission by someone who initially wanted to help them. Both sides are equally bad, but the Stormcloaks' racism and xenophobia make them a different kind of despicable. They're easier to hate than the more nuanced Imperials.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
moojito said:
I hope you picked that herb after you took that pic. I mean, it's right there! Looks like snowberries. Resist fire. Pick the herbs!

edit: seriously, how could you pose for a pic with a herb right there. I'm not going to be able to sleep now.

Looks like red mountain flower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom