• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
gdt5016 said:
Why is this game's audio so low? The dialogue is like a whisper. Anything I can do to the PC version to get it louder?
I have that issue on the PS3 as well, I have to crank my speakers a few notches above what I usually have it at. Might have something to do with the insane compression? Not going to pretend I know anything about this...

Mairu

3chopl0x said:
Wow, smithing has made me so OP

lvl 34 and I have an armor rating of 600 and my 1H axe does 180 damage. And I also have adept level destruction magic in the other hand.

I am pretty much indestructible, I can take on multiple giants and mammoths at once.
How'd you get it so high? I'm using the Daedric armor+sword+shield and my rating is only at 455 and my atk is 78 D:

cackhyena

3chopl0x said:

lvl 34 and I have an armor rating of 600 and my 1H axe does 180 damage. And I also have adept level destruction magic in the other hand.

I am pretty much indestructible, I can take on multiple giants and mammoths at once.
What's the best way to level? Does it matter if i keep smithing low level stuff?

What is everyone's favorite of the major cities? Mine is Markarth aesthetically and Whiterun practically.

What about smaller settlements? Riverwood is beautiful and so is Ivarstead.

Echoplx

Mairu said:
How'd you get it so high? I'm using the Daedric armor+sword+shield and my rating is only at 455 and my atk is 78 D:

I made it legendary by doing the extra upgrade on the table while i had a ring of minor smithing on, so it stacked another 12%

Also I have my boots and gloves enchanted with 13% extra 1H damage each as well as a ring that add another 15% damage.

lil smoke

Banned
Dumb question.

I need a torch, don't like dark areas :p I remember easily having them in Oblivion, here level 4 and haven't come across one. at this point considering jacking a guard for his.

Wallach

gdt5016 said:
Why is this game's audio so low? The dialogue is like a whisper. Anything I can do to the PC version to get it louder?

My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> SkyrimPrefs.ini -> fAudioMasterVolume=4.0000

Use ctrl + F to find fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000 and change it. Can set it lower if 4.0000 winds up being too high.

Pandaman said:
by the order of one officer, the hesitation of the guy with the list [and apology] demonstrates that summerary execution doesnt sit well with the whole empire.

also, you were captured crossing the boarder around the same time the enemy leader of the rebellion [on the run from murdering the king] was crossing.

But they say that they jail and kill people that believe in Talos.

Talos is the god of humanity, and the Tiber Septim, the first of Septim dinasty. So that make him an ancestor of Patrick Steward. This is reason enough to not join the Legion.

Also, Talos was the first Dragonborn and you, well, are the last Dragonborn, so probably a descendant of Talos. So, by the plot, it give more sense to follow the Stormcloacks than the Legion.

What's up with multiple characters talking over each other? It's really hard to listen to speech sometime when there's like 3 people speaking at once.

Sarcasm

Okay..do some minor quests not pop up in the misc section?

Some lady told me to meet her in her home at night or something..yet I do not remember who and its not in my journal.

Salaadin

I just came across a bunch of gold ore and I want to turn it into Ingots but I dont see an option for that at the blacksmith forge. Do I have to be a certain level?

MrBig

lil smoke said:
Dumb question.

I need a torch, don't like dark areas :p I remember easily having them in Oblivion, here level 4 and haven't come across one. at this point considering jacking a guard for his.
They are less common. You can jack some torches from wall mounts. I recommend just using the candlelight spell

Sarcasm

Salaadin said:
I just came across a bunch of gold ore and I want to turn it into Ingots but I dont see an option for that at the blacksmith forge. Do I have to be a certain level?

Don't you need to smelt before forge?

TekDragon

Banned
Salaadin said:

You need a smelter. It looks like a big cone shaped oven. You can find one at the female smith's forge in the first main town.

goodfella

Any mages here find that they can continue to cast some spells like sparks, flames and regeneration when their magicka has run out?

I almost think it is a glitch in my game because it makes some fights really easy.

DangerousDave said:
But they say that they jail and kill people that believe in Talos.

Talos is the god of humanity, and the Tiber Septim, the first of Septim dinasty. So that make him an ancestor of Patrick Steward. This is reason enough to not join the Legion.

Also, Talos was the first Dragonborn and you, well, are the last Dragonborn, so probably a descendant of Talos. So, by the plot, it give more sense to follow the Stormcloacks than the Legion.

Well they banned Talos worship because a hostile elven empire beat them in a war and forced it on them. The Empire is in a pretty shitty state and can't oppose the Thalmor.

angelfly

3chopl0x said:

Wow I haven't been investing in smithing but I think I should.

Derrick01

Banned
I just realized that out of all the shit I have to do already, I still haven't been to Winterhold or Dawnstar and who knows how many big villages/settlements. Goddamn I'm busy.

NBtoaster

Found a random encounter location, and kept reloading to see the different things that could happen. I saw:

Dog being attacked by skeevers
An adoptable stray dog
3 stormcloaks attacking 3 imperial soldiers
3 stormcloaks attacking 3 justicars
3 hostile justicars
A wannabe mage attempting to ressurect a wolf. You can buy or take his staff.
A lone flame atronach
Miaq the Liar

gdt

Ok, yesterday I was kind of meh on the game after 40 minutes.

But I just started my first quest (the Bandit thief one in Riverwood)....and I leveled up.

OMG at the leveling up system. I saw that and I had an orgasm.

And this snowy mountain is gorgeous. The snow is the watchtower looked like white paint, but it was all stunning.

Realyn

Was inside Riften keep and hit "y" by accident. Was like "oh jeez, hope I didnt set someone fire" - luckily I did not. Walked out and some guy gave me a letter saying "We saw your shout .. and got a quest for you"

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game really dug it's talons into me over the weekend. I haven't sat down and played a game for 5+ hours straight in a long, long time. It's really impressive how deep and immersive this game is, a true gem!

gdt

Wallach said:
My Documents -> My Games -> Skyrim -> SkyrimPrefs.ini -> fAudioMasterVolume=4.0000

Use ctrl + F to find fAudioMasterVolume=1.0000 and change it. Can set it lower if 4.0000 winds up being too high.

Thanks. I put it to 3.0, I have a 5.1 system, I'll try it out now...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So what you're really saying is, at some point far in the past, a descendant of the dragonborn got it on with a Khajit?

Hawt.

r1chard

Salaadin said:
Thanks guys. I didnt see a smelter anywhere but probably didnt look hard enough.
I completely missed it myself until it was pointed out to me - there's one in Whiterun at the smithy next to the front gate. It's the big oven out behind the forge.

Derrick01

Banned
Dresden said:
Are the pickpocketing perks worth it? Or is it like lockpicking where no perks are necessary at all?

Some are worth it. The 100 pound carrying capacity and the steal equipped weapon ones are worth it, especially if you find a really tough enemy with a nasty weapon. Not so tough coming at you with fists :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I find only the 100 additional capacity to be worth it.

Equipped weapons suck, and I'm going to assume equipment sucks as well. This wouldn't be true if important named NPCs had named or special/unique armor as well, but they don't.

Although if you're doing the training exploit, you'll need to max pickpocketing for only 50% chance to pickpocket 1700g.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Man getting dragons never gets old. Had some really unique scenarios already and ill be damned if the music doesnt get me in the mood to fillet a flying lizard.

Noricart

The 26 hours total I've played over the weekend were great.
On the first
Thieves Guild mission
this guy pops out to cause some mayhem.
Z3x8L.jpg

Then i was told at a mountain there was a dragon. But before I could fight that one, two popped up right before it.
FuHd5.jpg

The dragons are so few and far in-between that they aren't too annoying, I've fought about six total, two in Winterhold.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

How do you map 8 spells to the D-Pad (all the directions of the D-Pad) on the PS3? For whatever reason I can only equip a spell in my left and/or right hand and the "favorite" system doesn't seem to make sense to me when it comes to switching spells.

I can't believe this game would make switching spells as clunky as it seems to me (I go into favorites during battle and equip two spells at a time or just switch to the one I want from my list).

balddemon

Banned
QVLCi.jpg

oh hot damn i look like a bamf
killing this guy was pretty easy
once he got stuck on something lol
just sniped him with fire arrows

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OJdaKiller said:
I'm sorry if this has already been asked.

How do you map 8 spells to the D-Pad (all the directions of the D-Pad) on the PS3? For whatever reason I can only equip a spell in my left and/or right hand and the "favorite" system doesn't seem to make sense to me when it comes to switching spells.

I can't believe this game would make switching spells as clunky as it seems to me (I go into favorites during battle and equip two spells at a time or just switch to the one I want from my list).

It's as clunky as it seems. On the consoles, you can only hotkey your left and right d-pad buttons by highlighting the item/spell in your favorites menu and holding down either button.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Man, this game really dug it's talons into me over the weekend. I haven't sat down and played a game for 5+ hours straight in a long, long time. It's really impressive how deep and immersive this game is, a true gem!
Same here. I haven't been this into a game since Oblivion and Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Every time I play I know I'm going to be playing for a few hours. As good as it is though, it's not going to keep me away from watching a Packer game :p

I also recommend everyone pickup the guide for this. So much info in this thing. Happy to have ordered the hardcover version early since I see it's going for $70 on Amazon.

Edit: And the built in bookmark is awesome too.

Zefah said:
It's as clunky as it seems. On the consoles, you can only hotkey your left and right d-pad buttons by highlighting the item/spell in your favorites menu and holding down either button.

Thanks for the response even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I swear in Oblivion you could hotkey 8 spells on the D-Pad. Just having, at most, 4 at your disposal doesn't make playing a magic user seem like as much fun as it used to be.

styl3s

How viable is playing a character with no magic? just straight up heavy armor, bow and dual wielding, 1h/shield or 2h?

Wallach

OJdaKiller said:
Thanks for the response even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I swear in Oblivion you could hotkey 8 spells on the D-Pad. Just having, at most, 4 at your disposal doesn't make playing a magic user seem like as much fun as it used to be.

Yeah, it's not a bad system but I don't think I would have taken away so many hotkey options to employ it. I'd rather they had left all 8 directions on the d-pad as hotkeys, moved favorites to tapping back/select, and made the wait function holding back/select for 2 seconds.

Edit - I also would have liked to see a quick save function on the controller via holding start for 2 seconds.

Arde5643

styl3s said:
How viable is playing a character with no magic? just straight up heavy armor, bow and dual wielding, 1h/shield or 2h?
Very viable since my character can't even cast any useful spells - but I do a lot of stealth though.

DopeyFish said:
You need restoration... Neeeeeed

It's not really essential. Potions work just fine and are pretty easy to find.

styl3s said:

It's completely viable. I'm playing through the same way, except I haven't even used bows much.

styl3s

Arde5643 said:
Very viable since my character can't even cast any useful spells - but I do a lot of stealth though.
eh i don't really want to do stealth i just want to be conan the barbarian and just destroy things.

i guess ill just stick with my conjure battlemage.

If i did go full on tank warrior whats the best race? i dont want to get creamed by stupid casters or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom