• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

MrBig said:
Using potions only? Don't know how you haven't been wrecked.
Potions can be used instantly while paused, unlike spells that you have to cast which is time-consuming and almost impossible if you get cornered by a few enemies.

Healing potions being a bit rare is the only reason I use my healing spell from time to time.

r1chard

Bisnic said:
If i want to go with using a big badass 2h weapon, did i make a mistake in choosing a high elf at the beginning? I'm still pretty new to this franchise.
You can pretty much make any type of character work with any of the races - you just get a bit of a head-start with some combinations. Using the skills will always bring them up to speed quickly enough.

Trasher

Bisnic said:
If i want to go with using a big badass 2h weapon, did i make a mistake in choosing a high elf at the beginning? I'm still pretty new to this franchise.
I don't believe so. I think just certain races start off with a higher level in different categories. As far as I know, the higher the level just means the different perks you can eventually pick and use. As long as you focus on a certain skill and level it up high enough, you can choose the same perks which say a Nord warrior would use. You just start off at a lower level compared to them so it just takes a little more leveling up to get to the desired perks you want to unlock.

r1chard said:
You can pretty much make any type of character work with any of the races - you just get a bit of a head-start with some combinations. Using the skills will always bring them up to speed quickly enough.
Yeah. This. Haha.

dralla

this sucks. I loved Oblivion and New Vegas and from what I've played of Skyrim so far, it's great. The problem is I just don't feel like playing it at the moment. I just sank 100 hours into Dark Souls and I'm not sure I'm ready to do it all again. I think I'm going to wait a while before playing this. I'll play a little more tomorrow and see how I feel. Everything has been great so far though, oh well :[

elwes

Does anyone know why at level 62 pickpocketing and with the perk that makes gold 50% more likely to be pickpocketed, I cannot train up my level with the master pickpocketing trainer and steal my money back from her?

I don't think it's because she's the "master trainer." I don't think the game works like that. Does it have to do with the amount of money I'm stealing?

MrBig

pringles said:
Potions can be used instantly while paused, unlike spells that you have to cast which is time-consuming and almost impossible if you get cornered by a few enemies.

Healing potions being a bit rare is the only reason I use my healing spell from time to time.
I use potions all the time, but I run out quite often. Versus an instant gain of health (75) for an adept healing spell that can be reused.

Ghost23

Are you able to do the Dark Brotherhood if you are already doing the College of Winterhold storyline? And do you have to be an assassin/thief to be useful in the Dark Brotherhood?

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Armsman probably doesn't work for daggers because they already get a x15 damage bonus backstab perk.

But the One-Handed weapon perk works for daggers. And the Nightengale armor which is for thieves gives +25% to one-handed weapon damage. It must be a bug.

JoeMartin

FuzzyNorman said:
Are you able to do the Dark Brotherhood if you are already doing the College of Winterhold storyline? And do you have to be an assassin/thief to be useful in the Dark Brotherhood?

Lockpicking will be useful.

Stealth is nice as some of the kills can be rather public otherwise.

But it's completeable without either.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just woke up... I managed to sleep while playing/traveling in the game yesterday. What the fuck?

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
But the One-Handed weapon perk works for daggers. And the Nightengale armor which is for thieves gives +25% to one-handed weapon damage. It must be a bug.

Hm interesting. Do those other weapon damage bonuses stack with the backstab critical?

Recon

Banned
Damn, this game...I am minding my own business riding my horse to my next quest. And of course i get sidetracked for two hours doing a quest i find on my way...love this game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Hm interesting. Do those other weapon damage bonuses stack with the backstab critical?

As far as I can tell. I do ridiculous amounts of damage when backstabbing. The main issue regarding daggers is that they become shitty when not backstabbing without getting bonus from Armsman.

JoeMartin

Zeliard said:

Yes. If you're wearing the dark brotherhood gloves you will 30x crit things with the dagger perk (like it literally says "30.0x critical!").

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Cryptozoologist said:
Can you buff your skills over 100 using potions/enchantments, or is it capped at 100?

You can't buff your skill points per se, as far as I know, but there are things like potions and enchantments for x% improved smithing, alchemy, enchanting effects, sneaking etc. So effectively the same?

abundant

FuzzyNorman said:
Yes, none of the 4 major guilds lock you from one another. I'm currently doing the Companions and the College of Winterhold at the same time, for instance.

TheExodu5

Banned
Cryptozoologist said:
Can you buff your skills over 100 using potions/enchantments, or is it capped at 100?

Yes. You can buff them way over 100, especially since you can use enchanting to boost alchemy and alchemy to boost enchanting, so you can loop it 3 times to get even greater potions and enchantments.

Derrick01

Banned
Smash88 said:
Also I killed someone, and I still haven't gotten a visit from the dark brotherhood? Anyone have any tips on how to get them to come to you?

If you talk to inkeepers about rumors you'll eventually hear about someone trying to contact the DB. Go from there.

There's actually a good explanation for why just killing someone doesn't work this time and it's explained not long after you join.

(spoiler in case someone doesn't want to read why)
they're the only DB outfit left and they gave up the night mother tradition and most other DB traditions long ago

njr

Anyone else reading the books? If you've played The Shivering Isles in Oblivion, you have to read Myths of Sheogorath, which is located in the book room in Dragonsreach.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
As far as I can tell. I do ridiculous amounts of damage when backstabbing. The main issue regarding daggers is that they become shitty when not backstabbing without getting bonus from Armsman.

Heh I played so much Dark Souls as a backstabbing, dagger-wielding Thief that a part of me thinks there's nothing wrong with that. :p

JoeMartin said:
Yes. If you're wearing the dark brotherhood gloves you will 30x crit things with the dagger perk (like it literally says "30.0x critical!").

Haha wow

Khezu

I accidentally summoned my dragon in whiterun, turns out it totally works, I aggrod a guard and now my dragon is killing everyone. First time I used it, not sure how long he stays for, cause he's been at this for awhile now. Wonder if he can die, hmm.

balddemon

Banned
mage quest was awesome. and the reward is fantastic. JUST ONE THING IRKS ME

how come whenever i select a destruction spell, flames automatically goes into my right hand? i want to shoot two fireballs, but i definitely don't wanna use flames anymore...

Jagxyz

Smash88 said:
notrollingtest2.gif

Also I killed someone, and I still haven't gotten a visit from the dark brotherhood? Anyone have any tips on how to get them to come to you?

Non spoiler version - Follow up on any rumors you may have gotten about someone trying to summon the brotherhood.

Spoiler version -
Go to aventus arentino's house in windhelm, and complete his task. After a day or two (ingame) you'll recieve a letter from a courier from the DB. At this point you should take a nap (may only work in your own home).

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:

That doesn't really sound like a bad thing.

Zeliard said:
Wallach how are you finding the dragon fights on Master?

Well, like I mentioned before I'm up to 5 now in just shy of 29 hours. I would say that so far they have been pretty satisfying, but I haven't run into any interesting varieties yet. Now that I have Frost Atronach (and I think I can go buy Storm Atronach) it's a little easier than it was with Flame Atronach because Frost seems to have a better knack for getting enemy attention. Plus as a Breton I don't take as much damage from their breath and between that, Dragonskin and Restoration ward as long as I'm at range, I'm usually doing fine. I've actually taken to engaging them directly with bound sword once my Atronach has their attention, though the last time I tried that I did get tail stagger combo into frost breath and lived only on the strength of alchemy.

I have a pretty defensive playstyle so I can't really maul them outright like some people claim to, but they have a hard time taking me down at range too so it's been an enjoyable battle each time. My Destruction is only like 29 or something, I generally am just using staves to help out with direct damage at range if necessary.

Speaking of magery, I'm very curious about Twin Souls. Like if I have a non-Atronach summon out (particularly
Dragon Priest
) can I still summon an Atronach/undead on top of that? Even if not I imagine the Dremora type summons probably don't compete without perks like Elemental Potency. So close to getting that... with Storm Atronach and that perk (much less Twin Souls) shit is going to get real for a lot of dudes that might still think they can raise an eyebrow my direction.

Jagxyz

Khezu said:
I accidentally summoned my dragon in whiterun, turns out it totally works, I aggrod a guard and now my dragon is killing everyone. First time I used it, not sure how long he stays for, cause he's been at this for awhile now. Wonder if he can die, hmm.

How far in the story is this?
currently at the part where I'm supposed to find the dragon in the cave or some shit after getting a horn, how many more missions would you say I'd need to do to get that shout?

Dresden

TheExodu5 said:
It doesn't. It's really dumb.
Damn, that's two perks in One Handed that went to waste.

Wish you could parry and riposte in this game. Shieldplay is surprisingly fun, though. I never could stand Oblivion's combat and Skyrim's combat via dual wielding was a snore, but using a shield gives an extra bit of interactivity to it. Or maybe it's the Dark Souls flashback of it.

When it mentions "dual casting perk" do you actually have to equip the same spell in both hands and cast both spells at the same time to get the increased effect, or does it mean something different than this?

Zeliard

OJdaKiller said:
When it mentions "dual casting perk" do you actually have to equip the same spell in both hands and cast both spells at the same time to get the increased effect, or does it mean something different than this?

Yep you've got it correct. You'll know you're doing it right because your character does this neat two-handed animation.

Talon

Just started tonight after getting it in the mail. I dabbled a bit in Daggerfall, but I never got into Morrowind or Oblivion. Didn't care for Fallout 3.

Wow. I can't believe I'm so enthusiastic about playing a single player RPG in 2011. Great, great game. For some reason, I feel more comfortable just fucking around instead of worrying about a "perfect build."

Khezu

Jagxyz said:
How far in the story is this?
currently at the part where I'm supposed to find the dragon in the cave or some shit after getting a horn, how many more missions would you say I'd need to do to get that shout?

Have to complete the whole thing, you get the shout a bit before it, but the dragon doesn't give a shit about you until you defeat the big bad, then he will come and murder things for you.

Meier

As a werewolf, is it possible to contract vampirism? If I did get it while in human form, would transforming wipe it?

Also, I can never seem to feed on things I've killed..what gives?

Wanace

xelios said:
You can't buff your skill points per se, as far as I know, but there are things like potions and enchantments for x% improved smithing, alchemy, enchanting effects, sneaking etc. So effectively the same?

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant. If your skills are at 100 and you get like a 30% boost I imagine that means an effective skill level of 130, right?

TheExodu5 said:
Yes. You can buff them way over 100, especially since you can use enchanting to boost alchemy and alchemy to boost enchanting, so you can loop it 3 times to get even greater potions and enchantments.

That's what I want to hear. Makes all my points in alchemy worth it, and now I'm starting to buff my enchanting. Going to make some ultra awesome potions/enchanted gear, Morrowind style.

Complistic

Just read this on bethesda's forums. You can marry anyone if you click on them and then type
Addfac 19809 1

Figured at least someone here might find this useful. It worked on Lydia who is currently bugged.

Derrick01

Banned
So I finally decided to take Lydia with me just on a trial run. It's a good thing it was just a trial, she was ruining everything as I guess she didn't level with me and the enemies. Constantly attracting attention due to poor stealth skills, which ruined my stealth bonuses and she wasn't very strong either. I'm glad she's dead now.

sixghost

Derrick01 said:
So I finally decided to take Lydia with me just on a trial run. It's a good thing it was just a trial, she was ruining everything as I guess she didn't level with me and the enemies. Constantly attracting attention due to poor stealth skills, which ruined my stealth bonuses and she wasn't very strong either. I'm glad she's dead now.
You monster.

Try giving her better gear, she scales pretty well. I love conjuring minions along with Lydia and then using healing hands on her to keep her alive. It works really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom