• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
Yeah, it's not a bad system but I don't think I would have taken away so many hotkey options to employ it. I'd rather they had left all 8 directions on the d-pad as hotkeys, moved favorites to tapping back/select, and made the wait function holding back/select for 2 seconds.

Edit - I also would have liked to see a quick save function on the controller via holding start for 2 seconds.

This is exactly the control scheme I thought would work better. Really, 'wait' doesn't need it's own dedicated button on the controller. It could easily be moved to one of the sub menus without too much inconvenience.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
styl3s said:
eh i don't really want to do stealth i just want to be conan the barbarian and just destroy things.

i guess ill just stick with my conjure battlemage.

If i did go full on tank warrior whats the best race? i dont want to get creamed by stupid casters or anything.

Orc... They are about as barbaric as they come plus they are the strongest out of the gate

I stumbled upon a Stormcloak Camp and wiped it out except for
Thorgy Sun-Killer
who I couldn't kill. I guess he's important to the story somehow.

Zefah said:
It's as clunky as it seems. On the consoles, you can only hotkey your left and right d-pad buttons by highlighting the item/spell in your favorites menu and holding down either button.

So if you select a hotkeyed spell, how do you get back to the spell that was originally in that hand? Is there a way to reequip what you already had, or are stuck with whatever you switched to? (without having to go into the favorites menu, that is)

Started to fight an ice dragon and was getting dominated. I ran back in the cave I came from and appeared on the other side along with a random witch and spider wtf!!!! Lol Ended up going bitch mode back to the cave to fight the dragon alone and came out victorious! This game is lining up to be game of a lifetime for me.

Dresden said:
Think I'll pass on it for now. Gotta get that archery and block up first.

Also, goddamn at the master-level Destruction spells.

They do look cool but are pretty underwhelming in practice I find. The fact that they have about a 5 second wind-up to cast and plant you in place while casting make them really hard to get any good use out of. I think if either one of those restrictions were removed they could be really useful, but with both I find you get much more mileage out of spamming expert level spells while still being able to move and all.

I'm sure some mods will show up to address those issues.

More generally, my biggest gripe with destruction is the lack of variety in spells at a given level. They have a good enough number of spell types, I just wish they had all (or most) of them available at each level. Expert level aoe spells would be nice, for example, and I really like the constant stream starter spells but they become obsolete pretty quickly.

Finally for anyone who does want to play a destruction mage, some advice--the targeted, single shot lightning spells have basically instant traversal and great range so you can effectively spell snipe with them. If you want one tree, to perk up in, that's the one I'd recommend. Although the bonus effect perk is a bit throw-away, and sometimes makes corpses a lot harder to find and loot, as well as making dragon deaths look stupid instead of awesome.

styl3s

OJdaKiller said:
So what is the best town for buying conjuration spells?

So far I have raise dead and my Breton already had conjure familiar.
that guy in the castle thing in the first town has a butt load of conjure stuff

i don't have much i just have a conjure sword and that demon chick that spits fire.. i am disappointed because my conjure is like 50 and my conjured pets or whatever die super quick and i have the perks.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm at North Skybound Watch, and there is something that says "Activate Pedestal" and when I hit a nothing happens. I'm still very early in the game, is it supposed to do anything?

styl3s said:
that guy in the castle thing in the first town has a butt load of conjure stuff

i don't have much i just have a conjure sword and that demon chick that spits fire.. i am disappointed because my conjure is like 50 and my conjured pets or whatever die super quick and i have the perks.

I guess this brings up a second question I have. While your skills level up (you have 50 in conjuration), how do you go about casting higher level versions of the same spells? Basically, how will I know when I've gone from Novice Spells to Apprentice or something higher? Will that be noted in the spell? I just hate how, like you, my conjured creatures and zombies die right away.

r1chard

styl3s said:
How viable is playing a character with no magic? just straight up heavy armor, bow and dual wielding, 1h/shield or 2h?
I've ignored magic and found that I still need to use restoration every now and then - potions get gulped down very quickly during intense battles. Of course I also use shouts, but they don't count as magic, right? :)

1h + shield all the way. Loving the shield action (I don't remember them being so well-integrated into battle in Oblivion.)

The Chef

I started off as a Nord, light armor/stealth/one handed. But two handed just looks so damn bad ass I am going that route, which I thought would be odd considering I'm light armor and stealth. But to my surprise its been working out beautifully. If they are able to get close enough to me after my onslaught of arrow then I just bust out my enormous sword and they're toast.

OJdaKiller said:
I guess this brings up a second question I have. While your skills level up (you have 50 in conjuration), how do you go about casting higher level versions of the same spells? Basically, how will I know when I've gone from Novice Spells to Apprentice or something higher? Will that be noted in the spell? I just hate how, like you, my conjured creatures and zombies die right away.

A spells level won't change, but if you go to a spell vendor when you're skill level increases you can buy higher level spells.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Question. Is there a max overall skill cap? Im not talking about one skill, but point wise for every skill. Like can I level up every skill as much as I want without hurting the chance of leveling up other skills?

Corran Horn said:
Question. Is there a max overall skill cap? Im not talking about one skill, but point wise for every skill. Like can I level up every skill as much as I want without hurting the chance of leveling up other skills?

You can level up every skill to 100 if you want. The cap is on perks, I believe you stop gaining them after level 50.

Oblivionmancer said:
A spells level won't change, but if you go to a spell vendor when you're skill level increases you can buy higher level spells.

Good to know. Do you have any tips for when spells become obsolete? Such as when does the initial spell "flames" need to be upgraded? At level 6, I'm not too impressed by it, other than against random junk wolves...But not the ice wolf...lol..

Dresden

Hawkian said:
Ooomg, the "throat cut" assassinate animation is so satisfying.
Yeah, only reason I go for dagger kills really.

I also like the 'stab in the back' animation that you sometimes get when you chase someone down and the killing blow is delivered to their back. Wish the animations outside of backstab kills played more.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that really pisses me off about this game: showing me awesome enemies and loot before I encounter them in the game. It's pretty frustrating when the game itself spoils things for you.

Trasher

MrBig said:
Using potions only? Don't know how you haven't been wrecked.
Very rarely I use them, but yeah. I usually freeze an enemy or force push them with my shouts. They usually die before they get back up on their feet. I had a little trouble with a Frost Dragon, but I eventually killed him by luring him towards other enemies and letting them help weaken him first. I think I used three health potions during that fight. Every other dragon before that I've been able to kill in about six to eight hits as soon as they land. Sometimes less if I get a big critical hit.

Midou

Trasher said:
I'm level 21. 2hander weapons only. Have never used any healing spells.

This is 100% me right now, though towards the end of level 20, 2 hander, no healing spells. I might use a couple of potions on ending fight in a dungeon, but most things die in one hit with a power attack. Can kill a dragon after it lands once.

Trasher

Midou said:
This is 100% me right now, though towards the end of level 20, 2 hander, no healing spells. I might use a couple of potions on ending fight in a dungeon, but most things die in one hit with a power attack. Can kill a dragon after it lands once.
Yup. Most things die incredibly fast. Although I'm not really sure how fast things die to people who use one-handers, bows, or magic, but it seems like most things die fast to 2-handers in my opinion.

MrBig

Oblivionmancer said:
Expert level aoe spells would be nice, for example, and I really like the constant stream starter spells but they become obsolete pretty quickly.
Really? I've got ~40 hours and am still stuck on the basics.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Midou said:
Wow. What 2 hander are you using?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Forkball said:
Is there an enchanter... thingy in Whiterun? I wanna enchant some shit.

Yes, in Dragonsreach. When you're in the main room looking at the throne, there is a door to the right with an enchanting thingy.

edit - gah, beaten

Smash88

Banned
notrollingtest2.gif

Also I killed someone, and I still haven't gotten a visit from the dark brotherhood? Anyone have any tips on how to get them to come to you?

Trasher

kayos90 said:
Wow. What 2 hander are you using?
I'm still using the Skyforge Steel Battleaxe. It's got a base damage of 54, and I have the axe perk that causes bleeding damage as well. I'm honestly not sure what the best type of 2-hander is. The hammers seem to do the most damage, but I wonder which type of the three (sword, axe, hammer) is considered the best overall?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If i want to go with using a big badass 2h weapon, did i make a mistake in choosing a high elf at the beginning? I'm still pretty new to this franchise.

Dresden

Bisnic said:
If i want to go with using a big badass 2h weapon, did i make a mistake in choosing a high elf at the beginning? I'm still pretty new to this franchise.
High Elves are designed for pure magic builds. Won't cripple you but it's definitely not optimal.

Nords or Orcs are the way to go for big 2 handers.

Wallach

Bisnic said:

Not really, you just won't start with any kind of bonus in the Two-Handed skill. Also their racial powers are all magicka-based.

Zeliard

Oblivionmancer said:
Finally for anyone who does want to play a destruction mage, some advice--the targeted, single shot lightning spells have basically instant traversal and great range so you can effectively spell snipe with them. If you want one tree, to perk up in, that's the one I'd recommend. Although the bonus effect perk is a bit throw-away, and sometimes makes corpses a lot harder to find and loot, as well as making dragon deaths look stupid instead of awesome.

An additional note for those who may not be aware - spell types have extra properties.

Fire = enemies take more damage while on fire

Ice = saps enemy stamina

Lightning = saps enemy magicka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom