• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Banned
I spent 5 hours+ just lockpicking and stealing things from people's houses in the first village/town...lol

Finally beat my first Dragon, was exhilarating. Definitely the introduction and first battle is a moment in gaming history I won't forget.

Also thanks for the Dark Brotherhood tips.

elwes

Does anybody else have the level 100 pickpocketing skill? I can't seem to steal armor or weapons without the guards noticing every single time, despite the fact that it says 90% chance of stealing it for everything the guard is carrying.

Zeliard

Cryptozoologist said:
Every time I step into Markarth I have to hear: "WELL IF IT ISNT MY FAVORITE DRINKING BUDDY"

I'm going to off that bastard. I bought you a drink ONCE, to make you go away. Get drunk and die in the gutter!

Hahaha yeah he greets me similarly. Get out of here, stalker.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I need help with a lost companion:

I had the female mage from Darklight Tower following me, and then I accepted the Companion Werewolf quest. It told me that my companion was replaced with that new woman from the guild, and now that I'm done with the quest I can't find here anywhere. She's not in my house, she's not in Darklight tower... does any one have any idea where she goes?

Derrick01

Banned
I didn't know conjurers and necromancers didn't get along. I guess there's a fine line between raising the dead and summoning various creatures.

I stumbled into a cave and there's all out war going on here between the two.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love how...

Well wait, first. This game is fucking amazing. Just want to reiterate that. I find the 2 points of Metacritic score between Skyrim and Oblivion quite amusing. The difference between a 96 and a 94 does not really speak to the breadth and the depth of the experience. There is so much to do, and so much of what there is to do is worthwhile that is surprises me constantly. If you ever get bored at any point you can just decide to change course immediately and do something more awesome with no penalty. The feeling of your character getting better at what you choose to do feels legitimate, in a way that's insanely tough to pull off in an RPG. The atmosphere ranks among the best games of all time and I haven't even seen a fifth of the world. Accomplishing things feels good, dragons are awesome, combat, stealth, magic, and archery are all fun, the writing is rock solid and even funny, emergent moments are memorable as hell...

Of course there are a laundry list of bugs and flaws and dumb mechanics that made it into the game- but I don't get how anyone could argue that they don't pale in comparison to the whole game as greater than the sum of it's parts.

Ahem. Anyway...

I love how realizing you want to do something sets you out on a quest of your own without any guidance from the game. I was really interested in enchanting the superior Dwarven daggers I just crafted, so I got a couple enchantments I wanted, did a couple quests for cash and got some soul gems, and went to the arcane enchanter. But I noticed the stats were going down when it showed the preview of the enchanted weapon. Checked around and... enhanced items will be reverted to their base stats unless you have the Arcane Blacksmith perk! Aha. Looks like I'll be sticking around for a while- grinding out some more Iron Daggers to get up to 60 smithy- probably get a nice handful of levels from the bargain too.

Then I'll enchant my daggers- I'm making one frost damage and one fire damage. I'm hereby accepting Tolkienesque fire-and-ice-sounding names for the pair of blades, if anyone has any suggestions!

Then I'll finally be off to the Thieves' Guild. Then join up with the Brotherhood.

...then I'll go see the Greybeards and continue the main quest.

:D

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Got this monstrosity in today. The map makes me want to flee in terror:
DyoIv.jpg

Also, found the perfect beer to drink whilst playing Skyrim:
bFksn.jpg

Wallach

Derrick01 said:
I didn't know conjurers and necromancers didn't get along. I guess there's a fine line between raising the dead and summoning various creatures.

I stumbled into a cave and there's all out war going on here between the two.

There's probably a different reason why. Necromancy in general isn't really that big of a deal ever since the dissolution of the Mages' Guild.

Jintor

This is really pissing me off. Minor Solitude misc. quest spoilers

So I ran up to the dude that gets executed right off and took the amulet off his corpse, then ran into his wife later. Talked to the kid, gave the wife the amulet (without having to go and manually pick it up), quest didn't complete, amulet wasn't removed from my inventory. Now the damn quest won't complete. Raging.

Minor, but annoying.

Clevinger said:
Nazeem is such a dickhead. I wonder if he's related to any quest.
There is a Companions quest where he gets kidnapped and you save him

I accidentally killed him the first time and reloaded my game. Should have left him dead

sixghost

Hawkian said:
I love how...

Well wait, first. This game is fucking amazing. Just want to reiterate that. I find the 2 points of Metacritic score between Skyrim and Oblivion quite amusing. The difference between a 96 and a 94 does not really speak to the breadth and the depth of the experience. There is so much to do, and so much of what there is to do is worthwhile that is surprises me constantly. If you ever get bored at any point you can just decide to change course immediately and do something more awesome with no penalty. The feeling of your character getting better at what you choose to do feels legitimate, in a way that's insanely tough to pull off in an RPG. The atmosphere ranks among the best games of all time and I haven't even seen a fifth of the world. Accomplishing things feels good, dragons are awesome, combat, stealth, magic, and archery are all fun, the writing is rock solid and even funny, emergent moments are memorable as hell...

Of course there are a laundry list of bugs and flaws and dumb mechanics that made it into the game- but I don't get how anyone could argue that they don't pale in comparison to the whole game as greater than the sum of it's parts.

Ahem. Anyway...

I love how realizing you want to do something sets you out on a quest of your own without any guidance from the game. I was really interested in enchanting the superior Dwarven daggers I just crafted, so I got a couple enchantments I wanted, did a couple quests for cash and got some soul gems, and went to the arcane enchanter. But I noticed the stats were going down when it showed the preview of the enchanted weapon. Checked around and... enhanced items will be reverted to their base stats unless you have the Arcane Blacksmith perk! Aha. Looks like I'll be sticking around for a while- grinding out some more Iron Daggers to get up to 60 smithy- probably get a nice handful of levels from the bargain too.

Then I'll enchant my daggers- I'm making one frost damage and one fire damage. I'm hereby accepting Tolkienesque fire-and-ice-sounding names for the pair of blades, if anyone has any suggestions!

Then I'll finally be off to the Thieves' Guild. Then join up with the Brotherhood.

...then I'll go see the Greybeards and continue the main quest.

:D
Same here. I'm like 25 hours in and I haven't been to see the Greybeards yet. The mage guild was pretty awesome, now I'm starting the Thieves and DB quests. This game could have no main story and it would still be great.

Also, I love the setting in this game. I just love snow and mountains so much.

bengraven

I got some shit from friends for not upgrading my system. "A 9800GT 512mb video card and an Athlon Quad 2.5? You are just asking for trouble".

I don't know, man, I may have had to put most of the settings on medium high or even medium low, but for a "shitty" system, this game still looks fucking great.

ITfsI.jpg

KD1o5.jpg

GrHgH.jpg

YOBsS.jpg

4bV4m.jpg

Yes, that's Lydia with dwarf armor yet an iron helm. I didn't want to cover up her face. :(

thebeeks

Banned
Man, I spent way too long
solving the rock/gate puzzle in Ustengrav

The worst part is
I figured out pretty quickly that all I needed to do was dash through there and the lights were kinda irrelevant
, I just couldn't get the timing down.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dresden said:
Yeah, only reason I go for dagger kills really.

I also like the 'stab in the back' animation that you sometimes get when you chase someone down and the killing blow is delivered to their back. Wish the animations outside of backstab kills played more.
You don't know what it means to be a badass until you backhand someone's head clean off with a mace.

How do you even do that with a blunt object? FUCKIN DRAGONBLOOD, THAT'S HOW!

pringles

Zeliard said:
You doing any of the main quests? Don't think any dragons show up until after you do the first couple of quests for the Jarl at Whiterun. I stopped the main quest after getting the house offered there.

I'm actually curious myself if I should progress the main quest any more to see other types of dragons. I have to imagine meeting the Greybeards will start some stuff.
No I haven't progressed more than meeting the Jarl in Whiterun, giving the dragonstone I already had and then getting told to go to some watchtower.

I was actually on my way to doing that because I was thinking I probably need to do it so dragons show up.. but I was in Riften and a guy challenged me to a drinking contest. So I thought what the heck, should be a quick quest right?

Couple of hours later and I'm trying to get out out of jail in a city on the opposite side of the map, still not finished with the drinking quest.

Wallach said:
When I read this post, I wasn't sure who you were talking about, until I thought about voices I recognized. Then I did F3 -> "Goof Troop", and yes. I have heard this guy on more than one character and I adore his voice.

I wonder what other disney characters I will run into in the land of Skyrim

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
EschatonDX said:
So Nocturnal's cloak spell isnt turning me invisible :\
You need to sneak to go invisible. If you break it with an action, just stand up and sneak again.

Philia

Okay guys. Is there any quest conflicts in this one?

I just encountered one. I was doing a bounty from Proventus in Fort Greymoor and there happens to be a named NPC there. Agnis to be specific, she's not a bandit but a maid. I accidentally killed her without seeing her as being named. She did look out of place though.

There was a contract quest for her from the Dark Brotherhood that I haven't done yet. Can I just leave her dead?

finowns

Why is there a red 15 (archery) in my skill tree when my level is actually 26. Is it because I bought lessons?

Active Effects: Fortify Magicka and Resist Frost.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
finowns said:
Why is there a red 15 (archery) in my skill tree when my level is actually 26. Is it because I bought lessons?

You probably have a disease or something. Try using a shrine. Go into Magic > Active Effects or whatever it is to see what debuffs you have.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Can you build your own machines? They break down into all their parts when you kill them. I wasn't totally suspicious until I saw the power core. I mean, why have those items if you can't do anything with them and they are heavy and don't sell for much?

Mothman91 said:
Just bought a home, and now I want a wife. Point me the way gaf.
My post which I will update later. In the meantime, go to Riften and gt your hands on a Amulet of Mara so you can work your magic when you do decide.

fbi said:
Markarth....they are all dead....all of them...they tried to arrest me...

the beast in me....
The last witness has been killed. 40,000 bounty removed.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This fucking game. I am about 15 hours in and am still in the first town. I did some dungeons though. I did the dungeon where
You find a crypt and a dude outside saying a crazy necromancer went in and his aunt went in after him. The whole area was easy until the final dude. I died a handful of times until I could kill all his minions and then I hid and took pot shots at him to kill him. Got a nice orcish axe out of it

I also stole an elven bow from the companions which I am now a part of. Picked an expert lock. Bow is 6 points better than the one I had. :p

Agh. Bed now. I need to get up at 6am...

HELP! Why am i moving so slow? I am in Volunruud and I am stuck in slow mode. I dropped enough items to get my carry wieght down below the limit but Im still moving slow, i don't know what to do.

tigerin

so i just created my guy and started using dual fire/spark spells exclusively....don't know if that is the right choice since everyone wants a fist fight or give me armors/swords i don't need.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
herzogzwei1989 said:
HELP! Why am i moving so slow? I am in Volunruud and I am stuck in slow mode. I dropped enough items to get my carry wieght down below the limit but Im still moving slow, i don't know what to do.

Look in your magic-> active effects

You may have a disease or some such

finowns

herzogzwei1989 said:

xelios said:
You probably have a disease or something. Try using a shrine. Go into Magic > Active Effects or whatever it is to see what debuffs you have.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
herzogzwei1989 said:
Are you walking? On pc at least (not sure about consoles) caps lock will turn on/off auto run.

bengraven

Dice said:
The last witness has been killed. 40,000 bounty removed.

That happened to me the first time yesterday and I was shocked. I found this merc who was walking down the road and asked me to join up with her. I accidently quit out and she assumed I wasn't coming along. So I followed her anyway, so see where she was going. She was taking her time and going the way I had just come from, so I killed her.

That's how I got the message: "the last witness has been killed: 40 gold bounty removed".

That's also how I got the dwarf armor.

BFIB

Ok, so I joined the Companions and did the main quest to join, and now I cannot find Lydia. She's carrying my gear, any idea where to look?

KingK

Lidya and I took on a Blood Dragon and two Cave Bears at the peak of a snowy mountain in a blizzard. Fucking epic.

I also took some GAF advice and spammed a bunch of iron daggers to level up my smithing. It's at about level 50 now (I'm level 22), and I've got all of my gear in Superior status, which really helped my armor rating. I also came across a bandit leader wearing a full set of Plate Metal armor, which made a nice replacement for my Dwarven armor (which I then gave to Lidya, along with a superior Dwarven sword).

And finally, I started messing around with enchantments. Enchanted my Skyforged Steel sword to do +12 fire damage (and more if target is already on fire), which is super effective when combined with the fire magic I usually have in my left hand. I named the sword Lightbringer (ASoIaF reference).

I wasn't supposed to play at all today. My plan was to get some work done that I need to do this week, but instead I ended up playing Skyrim for 6 hours. This game is already destroying my real life...

kevm3

nemss said:
Ok, so I joined the Companions and did the main quest to join, and now I cannot find Lydia. She's carrying my gear, any idea where to look?

She should either be in the castle or your house if you purchased one.

T Ghost

kswiston said:
Live in GF or Wife? They use that as a test. See that you are really enjoying your newest video game. Feel like they are not getting proper attention, and then try to lure you away with the promise of sex. If there was no game, there would be no sex offered.

At least that tactic is better than some alternatives. Like when it all of a sudden becomes critically important for you to do 50 different menial tasks around the house immediately because you are playing a videogame. Never mind that you let your SO sit on the couch reading, or watching TV the day before while you were doing house/yard work.

This is SOOOOOO fucking true... XD

mxgt

Banned
Just became
the arch-mage of the College
. What an incredible quest line.

Plus my mage now looks like a total badass

2011-11-15_00001fb800.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom