• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Snuggler said:
Check Magic -> Active Effects. What does it say? And have you tried removing your ailments at a shrine?

shrine? where? I've yet to check my active effects...will do so.

GhaleonEB

En route to Thieves Guild quest, I decided to try out a cave I came across. I knew from my last ride through the enemies in this area were scaled way above my level and wanted a high risk/reward challenge. Oh boy did I get one.

I've been chipping away at a Tovald's Cave, which is so far above my current level it's sort of absurd. Well over an hour into it, I've learned I can just barely handle enemies one on one - and that's after I put a 3x damage, poisoned flaming arrow in their back from sneak to open things up. These
Ice Wraiths and Falmers
are no joke.

I just got done hiding under a waterfall from a swarm of dudes after my latest long-range arrow took one of their own down for good. While I was hiding under it, I found a treasure chest with some absurdly awesome loot in it, my 3d piece of 500+ gold armor. Fucking win.

*slinks out from under waterfall for another shot*

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So, the way you level up in this game...

When you increase a level for each skill does it actually increase attributes or are you just gaining access to a higher level perk? Like for archer, with every level is my archery getting stronger in addition to the perks I'm obtaining to make it stronger?

I would think yes, but I want to make sure.

Complistic

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Where the hell does Camilla Valerius go after you marry her? I put a ring on that broad and she straight up vanished. Figures. Should've married Jordis.

She's standing to the right and behind you when you exit the temple. You need to talk to her there to finalize the marriage.

DanielJr82 said:
Maybe you have to sleep and eat?

It means you're sick and you need to take a cure disease or go to a shrine.

Trasher

Verano said:
shrine? where? I've yet to check my active effects...will do so.
The easiest shrine to find for you is most likely the one in Whiterun. It's sort of in that mid-tier area where the priest is usually talking to everyone. There's a big statue and the shrine is located right in front of it I believe.

Enchanting seems to be really easy to level up. I hadn't used it much and de-enchanted a whole bunch of magical junk I had stored up and gained 24 levels in the skill in a manner of seconds.

Chris R

So I just discovered that dragons can pick you up and throw you for massive damage :( I had almost killed it too!

At least I know now for the future.

Aright, i'm doing Silenced Tongues, how do I defeat the boss Kvenel at Volunruud? I'm at level 7 and just completed the Grey Beards mission learning a word of power. Am I strong enough to face it? I keep getting my ass kicked because he summons enemies and shouts alot. FUCK. someone HELP. thanks in advance.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Trasher said:
The easiest shrine to find for you is most likely the one in Whiterun. It's sort of in that mid-tier area where the priest is usually talking to everyone. There's a big statue and the shrine is located right in front of it I believe.

I have the Bone Break Fever according to my Active effects and will visit that shrine

zlatko

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Enchanting seems to be really easy to level up. I hadn't used it much and de-enchanted a whole bunch of magical junk I had stored up and gained 24 levels in the skill.

Illusion magic is even easier. Sit in town casting Muffle on yourself over and over. I gained like 20+ in 15-20 minutes. :p

Dresden

Quick Reflexes perk in the Block tree is so sweet. Goes into bullet-time whenever someone launches a power attack, letting you sidestep and slash into their sides.

VandalD

I've had people tell me I look sick right after using a shrine. Might be because most folks are Nords and I'm a pale Breton. Or maybe it's a bug. Or maybe they're trying to sell me cure disease potions.
Fantastical said:
When you increase a level for each skill does it actually increase attributes or are you just gaining access to a higher level perk?.
You gain access to a higher level perk and get a little better at what you do. I'm not familiar with marksman personally, but I know with the spell school skills, as you get higher in skill, the spells get cheaper to cast. The game doesn't say anything about this that I know of. Even the manual doesn't say anything about what skills do when you actually raise them. For a while I thought they just give perk access.

After having some time to play tonight after work I finally got a chance to take advantage of the 50% Chance to Stagger Archery Perk I earned last night... holy shit! I'm absolutely destroying fools now. They don't even have a chance to react.

Also, people were mentioning healing spells and their "necessity" a page or two back - I never cast heal save for some Dragon encounters; I don't even have the Heal spell in my Favorites. It's all about potions for me, I craft so many potions it's crazy; I'm worried the chest in my home alchemy station in Whiterun is going to hit a weight limit (is there one on chests? I'm damn close if there is). To be fair I rarely ever fight more than one enemy at a time thanks to Frenzy spell, and then that last enemy is just Charmed if I notice I'm taking too much damage too quickly so I can have time to reorient and restealth myself. I would imagine restoration would be handy but with all the Alteration and Illusion spells I cast I don't want to waste mana casting Resto spells.

Seth C

Artanisix said:
For anyone who is curious:

It took me approximately 4k gold and 1 hour to powerlevel smithing to 100 on a test character. Totally recommend against it though, running around with full dragonscale/plate early is pretty boring.

I disagree. I did it last night and I say go for it. I've slowly been replacing my dragonscale anyway, as I find cool unique items that I am incapable of enchanting myself. Spamming enchanting to 100 would take forever.

Do companions die? (on adept)

My first companion was Sven, and he we got into a fight with Trolls. Now, even on normal mode these fuckers were tough - and Sven took some damage and then kneeled off in the corner, then came back into the fight, and then kneeled again after he took some more damage, but the trolls never finished him off.

Did I just get lucky, or can companions not die. I want to put the game on hard mode (expert) but I don't want to be concerned with my companions on such high difficulty. But - if they can't die, then I'll put it on expert.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EviLore said:
??? I haven't used any trainers at all, Yoshi. Calm down (yes, I know that's a futile suggestion).
Hawkian said:
Oh Yoshi... :lol
Trasher said:

I already knew that everyone hated me on GAF but EviLore also :(?

KorrZ

Hawkian said:
Oh Yoshi... :lol

Those trainers are just time-savers essentially. They're wholly unnecesssary. Actually the gold is probably better spent on other things, although if you're not against pickpocketing...

Why...why have I never thought of this? This. Changes. Everything.

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Do companions die? (on adept)

My first companion was Sven, and he we got into a fight with Trolls. Now, even on normal mode these fuckers were tough - and Sven took some damage and then kneeled off in the corner, then came back into the fight, and then kneeled again after he took some more damage, but the trolls never finished him off.

Did I just get lucky, or can companions not die. I want to put the game on hard mode (expert) but I don't want to be concerned with my companions on such high difficulty. But - if they can't die, then I'll put it on expert.

Companions can permanently die. But when they are almost dead they usually go into this kneel down pose and enemies often leave them alone, which is why they don't die as often as they could. But if they are hit in the pose, they will die.

Agentnibs

Updated ps3 version withe the newest patch and now I'm experiencing major lag! The game is damn near unplayable now, it'll play for 2 seconds the freeze for 3, dialog is slow to load, and loading times have become 2 times longer. In all the camotion I seem to have lost my buddy from dawn star too! He had all my stuff! :(

Game is making me a sad panda now, anyone having the same problems?

hlhbk

I am about to start Skyrim on my PC for the first time (just back into town and opened the CE I got on Friday, it's awesome!). What is better for controls with Skyrim? KB/mouse or 360 gamepad?

zlatko

Banned
Yoshichan said:

It's cuz you're green. :p

Don't worry at all about the leveling trainers. I haven't used one yet, and I'm almost level 30 with 30 hours of play. This game scales damn well to be just the right amount of challenge for your play style.

Your character is fine. ;)

KorrZ

Agentnibs said:
Updated ps3 version withe the newest patch and now I'm experiencing major lag! The game is damn near unplayable now, it'll play for 2 seconds the freeze for 3, dialog is slow to load, and loading times have become 2 times longer. In all the camotion I seem to have lost my buddy from dawn star too! He had all my stuff! :(

Game is making me a sad panda now, anyone having the same problems?

How many save files do you have? Apparently keeping more than 2-3 save files on the PS3 causes MAJOR slowdown. Deleted all my save files except for 2 and now the game runs perfectly smooth again.

r1chard

sixghost said:
I remember when I started Oblivion, I had about 8 different characters, all with about an hour on them because I couldn't decide what kind of character I liked. I guess I just got lucky in Skyrim because I enjoyed the first character I rolled.
I did a similar thing.

Oblivion made a big deal of choosing specifics about your character right at the start before you'd had a chance to figure out how you wanted to play the game.

Skyrim doesn't lock you into a specific character when you start. Sure you choose one of those stone things, but apart from that you get some modest racial bonuses which are pretty much ignorable. Then you mould the character through actually playing the game the way you want to, and you're immediately and directly rewarded by how you play it. It's awesome :)

Basileus777 said:
Companions can permanently die. But when they are almost dead they usually go into this kneel down pose and enemies often leave them alone, which is why they don't die as often as they could. But if they are hit in the pose, they will die.

thanks. seems like a fair balance. i'll keep it on adept though, it's a reasonable challenge...though it's starting to weaken on me, hopefully things get harder. (haven't gotten gotten to white run yet (level 13)

hlhbk said:
I am about to start Skyrim on my PC for the first time (just back into town and opened the CE I got on Friday, it's awesome!). What is better for controls with Skyrim? KB/mouse or 360 gamepad?
Menus work really well with a gamepad but, as always, aiming with bows and spells will be quicker and easier with them mouse. I use the mouse personally but if you're really awesome with twin-stick aiming it's definitely not a bad option to use a controller.

If you do use mouse make sure you disable mouse acceleration though or it feels really floaty, there's a small line you add to your ini file.

Edit:
1. Open C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini
2. Search for [Controls]
3. Add bMouseAcceleration=0 to the bottom of the controls section
4. Save/Overwrite

Trasher

Yoshichan said:
We don't hate you, bro! It's just somewhat comical how upset you get over certain insignificant things. It's all gonna be ok! :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hawkian said:
But i'm in love with you :'(
Sometimes I feel that everyone is against me... both in Skyrim and GAF! ;_;
Technosteve said:
Hey Yoshi how's your thumb?
Fully healed, sir :D I won't be growing a nail though, which is unfortunate but I'll take that over blood poisoning and death!
zlatko said:
It's cuz you're green. :p

Don't worry at all about the leveling trainers. I haven't used one yet, and I'm almost level 30 with 30 hours of play. This game scales damn well to be just the right amount of challenge for your play style.

Your character is fine. ;)
Yeah, I just want to know why my 100% caster is having trouble against other casters and I wanted to blame something :( The first 20 levels, I was burning everything left and right with next to zero problems (kiting for the win!)... but now I feel so weak against mages! ._.

edit: playing on the hardest difficulty on PC btw.
Trasher said:
We don't hate you, bro! It's just somewhat comical how upset you get over certain insignificant things. It's all gonna be ok! :)
But this is how I am! I can't possibly change over a day! ._.

I have about 10 hours on a mage but I really want to try a woodelf build that dual wields swords and uses bows for long range.

Is this viable? Lol

hlhbk

Houston3000 said:
Menus work really well with a gamepad but, as always, aiming with bows and spells will be quicker and easier with them mouse. I use the mouse personally but if you're really awesome with twin-stick aiming it's definitely not a bad option to use a controller.

If you do use mouse make sure you disable smoothing though or it feels really floaty, there's a small line you add to your ini file.

In Oblivion I was primarily a hand to hand combat type (such as blades and axes and such), and only use magic for healing. I am pretty sure I will do the same in Skyrim. Gamepad best for this?

hlhbk said:

Oh since you have the CE could you take the Making Of Skyrim DVD and upload it to Youtube, or is that asking too much? Maybe after you've enjoyed the game for awhile....

Trasher

Any other heavy armor wearers think that this perk is completely worthless:

Unarmed attacks with Heavy Armor gauntlets do their armor rating in extra damage
I don't see the point of it other than that it might make brawling easier...which I've used a total of two times so far in the game and it was already plenty easy without that perk.

I think I will just skip it.

Loxley

hlhbk said:

I think many would suggest a 360 gamepad since the interface was clearly designed with it in mind. Personally, because I don't own a wired gamepad, I've been using KB/mouse. It takes some getting used since it is awkward, but once you get used to it it's not a real problem.

I'm holding out for an interface mod (probably by DarN) to make it more keyboard and mouse friendly. Until then I would suggest using a 360 pad if you have one.

Wallach

Yoshichan said:
Yeah, I just want to know why my 100% caster is having trouble against other casters and I wanted to blame something :( The first 20 levels, I was burning everything left and right with next to zero problems (kiting for the win!)... but now I feel so weak against mages! ._.

edit: playing on the hardest difficulty on PC btw.

How are they giving you trouble, specifically? Like is it the ones that have summons or are you just taking a lot of damage? Restoration ward spells are really important to use as a mage on Master, if you're actually their target. I also took the entire bound weapons line in Conjuration (I'm actually taking the entire Conjuration tree because it is pretty good in general) so if they have summoned pets I can just swat them out of existence.

Dresden

JetBlackPanda said:
I have about 10 hours on a mage but I really want to try a woodelf build that dual wields swords and uses bows for long range.

Is this viable? Lol
Anything is viable in Skyrim!

And fuck am I loving the Block tree. Bullet-time shield dodges, power bashes, and elemental resistances later on. Shields <3.

hlhbk said:
In Oblivion I was primarily a hand to hand combat type (such as blades and axes and such), and only use magic for healing. I am pretty sure I will do the same in Skyrim. Gamepad best for this?
I would definitely recommend trying both and seeing what feels better. I tried the gamepad and really liked it but I play an Archer and fire Charm/Fury spells everywhere... mouse ended up being better for me. If I was melee I might of stuck with the controller. Since I sneak a lot though it's a little annoying having to hold down Shift to walk instead of just using the analog stick.

Add that line I mentioned in my last post to your INI file and try both though. I think you may prefer the controller with your play-style though. The menus work wonderfully with one.

Yoshichan

Wallach said:
How are they giving you trouble, specifically? Like is it the ones that have summons or are you just taking a lot of damage? Restoration ward spells are really important to use as a mage on Master, if you're actually their target. I also took the entire bound weapons line in Conjuration (I'm actually taking the entire Conjuration tree because it is pretty good in general) so if they have summoned pets you can just swat them out of existence.
Yeah I'm having trouble with the destruction mages, especially those who shoots electricity and uses warden... not only do they survive around 6-7 fireballs, but that warden they use is broken, straight up :(!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Technosteve said:
Anyone else leveling a kajiiit assassin? The night eye perk effect hurts my eyes, but in bar fights the claw bonus is awesome.
I am, and I couldn't be happier with how he plays.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Damnit started smithing daggers and enchanting them for skill...now i realized I sold my enchanted souls weapon without realizing what it does earlier lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
mudkyp said:
Just popping in to tell everyone to do the
Dark Brotherhood
quests immediately. Amazing and utterly epic in scope.
Putting them off for the Thieves Guild just because I want the fucking Nightingale armor so bad.

Of course, I'm putting of the Thieves Guild just to get to 60 smithing so I can get my fire-and-ice dagger set.

Yoshichan

Hawkian said:
I am, and I couldn't be happier with how he plays.
I've always imagined you as a cat so this makes perfect sense &#9829; I've been playing as a cat in both Morrowind and Oblivion so I still don't understand why I didn't choose them in Skyrim :'(

Wallach

Yoshichan said:
Yeah I'm having trouble with the destruction mages, especially those who shoots electricity and uses warden... not only do they survive around 6-7 fireballs, but that warden they use is broken, straight up :(!

Maybe try advancing Alteration. Distract them with a summon or a shout, then Paralyze them so they can't defend themselves with a ward.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
mudkyp said:
Just popping in to tell everyone to do the
Dark Brotherhood
quests immediately. Amazing and utterly epic in scope.

Where can I start these fucking things...lol. I had the assassin chase after me, and got a book that said to rub myself with nightshade...but I don't think those are related...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom