• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevm3

This game is way better than Oblivion. It finally fixes what was wrong about a lot of Elder Scroll games in the past, which is all of the randomly generated content. They give you all this freedom and now the dungeons and things are actually interesting to explore so you WANT to see what's in them.

Hyunkel6

Unbelievable. I can survived 10 dragon breaths withno problem at all, but am getting two-shot killed by frigging blue sabertooth cats.

Forkball

This game is just a blast. I got far enough in the Companions quest to
become a werewolf. I declined though. I assume there's some quest to get rid of lycanthropy because the other companion was looking for a cure?

I also did part of the Nettlebane quest. I was just strolling along and then all of the sudden I'm getting my ass kicked and I can't see by what. Then I finally realize there are witches dodging around in the trees, throwing lighting and shit at me. I get up close and mace all of them, but there are still massive fireballs coming down from somewhere and I have no idea where it is. Eventually I figure out it's the hargraven on top of the mountain, so I try to find some cover and regroup. I get far enough where it can't see me, but I can still hit it through the trees with arrows. So I keep popping it with arrows, thinking that I'm going to cheese kill it, but when it gets low, it rushes at me and starts going crazy, so I haphazardly pull out my mace and get a few desperate swings in to take it down.

It was quite the rush, but I ran out of healing potions. So I go to Arcadia's Cauldron in Whiterun to get some potions, but they're pretty expensive. I buy two, and then browse the shop. Luckily, Arcadia barely moves so I pretty much stole everything out of that shop. Potions, ingredients, even a bowl for the hell of it. I tried to pickpocket her but she noticed me, what's a good way to boost this skill?

Also I got into a fistfight with a chick in a bar. Awesome.

RANDOM SCREENIES

132FF986FE298CB9D0B17E5863DD0AC7688BBDD5

4D5A82CCAAE3D209FB3F2126BA4863F7D40C8A03

6D96510E272FA195BD1AF1DA17AD0F82E55C792C

B16F92D486D493F58D40B44F24B7790B77A1FDBC

A0C7AA4373A73204B0A6D6082614FC8333557699

Cutwolf

1. So I went exploring some today (main quest line made me go to the middle of nowhere) and realized there's a whole little section of the map I hadn't wandered, opening up a ton of new dungeons when I felt like I was starting to run out.

2. Not only that, I discovered my first treasure map. Labeled like Treasure Map VII. SO MUCH TO DO. Too bad the map is super vague and I have no idea to where it refers.

3. One thing I do like in Oblivion more than Skyrim, and I mentioned this early, is the whimsical fun in Skyrim. Where is the item that creates an evil clone of enemies, for example? The most fun item I've found is the
Wobbajack
, but that's not even predictably fun.

dreamer3kx said:
PC version is absolutely beautiful.

Yep. The lows are pretty low. There's some awful looking shit in the game. But when it looks good, it's absolutely breathtaking and one of the best visual experiences in gaming thus far.

FHIZ

So, I've got a question, I'm not a mage character, like, at all, so much so that I didn't even have enough magic to cast the spell that the lady at the college required me to do to pass the gate. So assuming I do and can join the Mage's guild at some point, how reliant is that quest line on actual magic? Could I realistically just hit everyone with my sword and kill them with sneak arrow shots, like I usually do?

woober

Skyrim gives me a lot of Avatar: The Last Airbender vibes. You are the only dragonborn (possibly) as Aang was the only airbender. And then these shout abilities like whirlwind feel like bending abilities.

I would love to have an Avatar game made like Skyrim.

I love the 30x dmg From behind with daggers. I've yet to run into an enemy I can't 1 shot with a cick ass stealth takedown.

Also, i don't mean to bring fable into this, but there's a lot of things that skyrim took from fable and did much much better.

Damn spent the last couple of hours skilling to 100 smithing. Going to go back, as it kinda of takes a lot of the challenge away from the encounters (level 31). Being able to one shot trash is not fun.

DanielJr82

Something I noticed today, or rather learned. When you buy your house and furnish it, you can store more stuff other than the chest! I felt really stupid finding this out myself, lol. All those books? Put them in the bookshelf! (It holds 18, I believe.) You know those amulets or rings you don't want to get rid of just yet? Put them in the drawers! Potions in the cupboards, food in the sacks by the kitchen, etc. Leave your valuable dragon scales and bones, working tools, and other armors in the chest. :)

Time flies for me in this game for me, just decking out my home and doing a couple of quests was a 2 hour affair. :p

Pat

I have some questions about assassin/thief perks:

- I almost finished the sneak tree and I just got the Silent Roll and Silence. With Silent Roll, I can... roll while in stealth. The hell that do?

- For Silence, I'm not sure I follow what the description tells. It says "Walking and running does not affect detection". Does this mean I can now run like a fool without anyone seeing me?

- Since English is not my primary langage, I don't quite understand the description of Power Shot (archery tree) which says "Arrows stagger all but the largest opponents 50% of the time". What does "stagger" mean? Google Translate doesn't help me at all. :(

Thanks for the answers.

Hyunkel6 said:
Unbelievable. I can survived 10 dragon breaths withno problem at all, but am getting two-shot killed by frigging blue sabertooth cats.
You shouldn't even get hit by breaths.... Just shout at the dragon and he'll stop. ;)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, I just realized I fucked my save up royally. No wonder everyone is higher level than me... I had no idea you could train your skills at a merchant every time you level up. Fuck, now I feel like quitting.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Need help!

I'm in Falkreach and have just slain a dragon in the town. Unfortunately with all the dragon bones and scales I have now I'm overencumbered and have sold all non-essential items.

Is there anywhere I can store the dragon stuff where it won't get stolen? I don't have the money (nor the favour yet) to buy a house.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yoshichan said:
Well, I just realized I fucked my save up royally. No wonder everyone is higher level than me... I had no idea you could train your skills at a merchant every time you level up. Fuck, now I feel like quitting.

??? I haven't used any trainers at all, Yoshi. Calm down (yes, I know that's a futile suggestion).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Witchfinder General said:
Need help!

I'm in Falkreach and have just slain a dragon in the town. Unfortunately with all the dragon bones and scales I have now I'm overencumbered and have sold all non-essential items.

Is there anywhere I can store the dragon stuff where it won't get stolen? I don't have the money (nor the favour yet) to buy a house.

If you get a companion they can act as your mule.

Mothman91

Yoshichan said:
Don't they cost alot? I remember I saw my smithing at 50, and he wanted like 1200gold for a level up. Seems too much for me.

Complistic

I haven't used a single skill trainer either. Level 18. Not really having too much trouble. Enemies are tough sometimes but it is a game afterall.

sixghost

Yoshichan said:
Are you talking about the trainers that can level up skills for you? I've never done that once and I'm 25 hours in, you're fine.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Mothman91 said:
Any tips on enchanting? Haven't tried it yet, so beginner tips.

Keep anything that has enchants on it to disenchant to learn stuff. Buy gear that has the enchants you want to learn/use later. You can only learn new enchants by disenchanting stuff (at least from what I've seen).

Get a soul trap spell or weapon with soul trap on kill. That will save you a world of hurt when trying to fill 30+ soul gems.

All that gear you make/find that you just end up selling? Save it and enchant it first. It's easy to level enchanting this way, and helps make a few coin in the process (enchanted gear sells for more).

Your enchants will suck until you pump perks in and level it up. Alchemy can get you some potions to increase enchanting effects by x% for 60 seconds. Very useful to make some higher tier stuff.

Enchanting is sort of an all or nothing skill. Yeah, you don't HAVE to put perks in or level it high to get some benefit, but to really reap the rewards of well enchanted gear (which I've found to be the difference between life and death on Master difficulty), you're going to have to consider it a "main" skill.

Pat said:
- Since English is not my primary langage, I don't quite understand the description of Power Shot (archery tree) which says "Arrows stagger all but the largest opponents 50% of the time". What does "stagger" mean? Google Translate doesn't help me at all. :(

I can answer this one! It will make the enemy stop in their tracks and take a few steps back, stopping their advance. They "stagger back".

Ezduo

Banned
Mothman91 said:
Don't they cost alot? I remember I saw my smithing at 50, and he wanted like 1200gold for a level up. Seems too much for me.
You can just pickpocket it back if your level is high enough. Seems like this could fuck with the leveling system though, level up noncombat skills too much and all the enemies will scale too high.

Pat said:

- I almost finished the sneak tree and I just got the Silent Roll and Silence. With Silent Roll, I can... roll while in stealth. The hell that do?

- For Silence, I'm not sure I follow what the description tells. It says "Walking and running does not affect detection". Does this mean I can now run like a fool without anyone seeing me?

Thanks for the answers.
Stagger means that they will stop charging you and stumble around for a couple of seconds.

Aesius

Jibber Hack said:
Damn spent the last couple of hours skilling to 100 smithing. Going to go back, as it kinda of takes a lot of the challenge away from the encounters (level 31). Being able to one shot trash is not fun.

This is why I'm glad I haven't touched enchanting/smithing yet. Seems way too easy to cheese it up and just become Godlike quite early on in the game.

The inevitable rebalance mods will be nice indeed.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I told the mage that was following me from
Darklight tower
that she had to leave and she told me she was going home. I checked my house and
Darklight tower
where I found her, and she's in neither place.

Where the hell did she go? She was an awesome companion. I hope she's not glitched out of existence.

Mothman91

Anyone else try another character very early in the game? After leveling my mage to level 4, went and tried out a duel wielding orc. Really fun, and am wanting to try out a third one real quick. Maybe a stealthy rogue or archer.

Wanace

Pat said:

Thanks for the answers.

1. Don't know about that, don't have that perk.

2. Means you can run when you are rouched without a penalty to your stealth. Usually if you are crouched you need to walk (hold shift or toggle caps lock) to remain as quiet as possible.

3. Stagger means that they will fall back and not be able to attack or move for a few seconds (you will see an animation for this).

Aesius

EschatonDX said:
Dual wielding is super satisfying if you have the perks for it leveled up. Walking wheat thresher.

I love going stealth+archery from a distance on a bandit camp and then unleashing my Double Mace of Facefucking Fury Attack on them once they try to rush me.

Also, I think it was a great idea for them to get rid of Blunt. I always wanted to use axes/maces in Oblivion, but I loved swords too much to go that route. Now I get to use both and it's AWESOME.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
dammit! Everyones saying I look sick. I took the cure disease potion just to find out Im still sick to the NPC's still.

Help me GAF

Raxus

I feel really bad for leveling so fast. I had to knock my difficulty down to adept in order to handle the onslaught of dragons and tough enemies.

Almost have my second skill to level 100.

I had to train to get my destruction to 50 since it leveled so slowly when I was playing on master mode.

Alucrid

Banned
Yoshichan said:

Wait. You mean you get 5 trains per level per skill?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Verano said:
dammit! Everyones saying I look sick. I took the cure disease potion just to find out Im still sick to the NPC's still.

Help me GAF

Check Magic -> Active Effects. What does it say? And have you tried removing your ailments at a shrine?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yoshichan said:
Oh Yoshi... :lol

Those trainers are just time-savers essentially. They're wholly unnecesssary. Actually the gold is probably better spent on other things, although if you're not against pickpocketing...

sixghost

Mothman91 said:
Anyone else try another character very early in the game? After leveling my mage to level 4, went and tried out a duel wielding orc. Really fun, and am wanting to try out a third one real quick. Maybe a stealthy rogue or archer.
I remember when I started Oblivion, I had about 8 different characters, all with about an hour on them because I couldn't decide what kind of character I liked. I guess I just got lucky in Skyrim because I enjoyed the first character I rolled.

WARNING when starting a New Game while having previous saves!

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, so apologies if so. I'm on PS3, but I assume it applies to all platforms as it's related to saving. If you already have a save on your system, be careful going through the intro... The game makes that standard save (meaning not an auto-save) right before character creation, and if there are previous saves on the system the oldest standard save is overwritten to make that first "new game" standard save. Has this been mentioned yet? Bethesda's forums don't have a known issues thread. Should I/could someone post this to their forums? ...Yet another reason to keep multiple saves.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Where the hell does Camilla Valerius go after you marry her? I put a ring on that broad and she straight up vanished. Figures. Should've married Jordis.

ajf009

haha so I thought there were a couple bandits wandering the road, so I snuck up and sniped them without even thinking about it. Turns out they were followers of Stendarr. Oops

Trasher

EviLore said:
??? I haven't used any trainers at all, Yoshi. Calm down (yes, I know that's a futile suggestion).
lololol

Seriously, Yoshi, it isn't that big of a deal at all. You can train any skill you want five times per level up, and the more times you purchase the level ups, the more expensive they get. So go ahead and find the specific trainers with the skills you are interested in giving a little boost to. That's what I usually save them for anyways. I generally just do it whenever I happen to run into one of the trainers and don't even care what skill it is (as of late that is). My super high leveled (and preferred) skills cost like over 2k now to do that for. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom