• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wallach said:
Maybe try advancing Alteration. Distract them with a summon or a shout, then Paralyze them so they can't defend themselves with a ward.
WOW. I was so blind after I got the thunder shout, so I completely forgot about the shout that pushes them back! That'll definitely work when they start using ward, FUCK I'm such a dumbass. THANKS!

Should I feel bad about not reading most books unless they pretain to a quest? They're just so long, it's great that Bethesda puts the effort into them, but I don't really feel like sitting there reading 10 pages when I could be adventuring, haha.

KorrZ

Yoshichan said:
Yeah I'm having trouble with the destruction mages, especially those who shoots electricity and uses warden... not only do they survive around 6-7 fireballs, but that warden they use is broken, straight up :(!

They seriously must have some secret hidden best ward spell in the game. They can somehow easily ward for pretty much ever all while still spamming lightning/fire etc at you. I wish I had that kind of magicka pool!

Wallach

Yoshichan said:
WOW. I was so blind after I got the thunder shout, so I completely forgot about the shout that pushes them back! That'll definitely work when they start using ward, FUCK I'm such a dumbass. THANKS!

That and Ice Form are my two most used shouts just for that reason. As a mage I'm usually just looking to get something off me, or stop their offense/advancement. Ice Form is more of a last ditch effort though with how long the cooldown is. Most of the time it's Unrelenting Force just to get a mage or dragon to drop a channeled spell.

KorrZ said:
They seriously must have some secret hidden best ward spell in the game. They can somehow easily ward for pretty much ever all while still spamming lightning/fire etc at you. I wish I had that kind of magicka pool!

Maybe they have the Restoration perk. ;)

bengraven

Kind of interesting that with my higher leather armor perks I'm seeing things like iron and steel actually LOWERING my armor rating compared to my hide boots and leather cuirass. lol

I need some badass leather gear, so I might just do the DB quests, though if Oblivion is an example, it might be better to do the TG quests first to get some sneaking/pickpocketing/lockpicking skills and training, which will make the DB quest more fun.

Plus, why not put off the best questline?

Philia

Technosteve said:
Anyone else leveling a kajiiit assassin? The night eye perk effect hurts my eyes, but in bar fights the claw bonus is awesome.

I am and EXTREMELY happy with it. :D :D I'm level 19 and already just about unlocked all of my sneak perks saving for the last one (100 skill points). I rolled as one in Oblivion and that really got me into TES altogether. :D

KorrZ

So, Whirlwind Sprint level 3 is pretty damn awesome. I love seeing a chasm now and instead of thinking oh fuck I have to find a way around, BOOSH!!! Zip right across with my sprint. I'm pretty impressed with how far you actually shoot forward.

Wallach said:
Maybe they have the Restoration perk. ;)

Wow, I really need to take some time and peek into the perk trees that I don't use ><

mxgt

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Well, I just realized I fucked my save up royally. No wonder everyone is higher level than me... I had no idea you could train your skills at a merchant every time you level up. Fuck, now I feel like quitting.

I wouldn't worry about it, it gets insanely expensive at higher levels. I'm on 75 destruction and it costs 2.5k per point currently.

bengraven

KorrZ said:
So, Whirlwind Sprint level 3 is pretty damn awesome. I love seeing a chasm now and instead of thinking oh fuck I have to find a way around, BOOSH!!! Zip right across with my sprint. I'm pretty impressed with how far you actually shoot forward.
<

Wait, what perk is that?

I thought that was a shout? And if so, where do you get it?

Trasher

KorrZ said:
How do you unlock the different levels of it? Do you have to find the words?

I now feel really silly for sitting on tons of crummy soul gems after getting a soul trap weapon and NOT power leveling enchanting on all the random crap I vendor.

Almost as silly as I felt for wandering for 15 hours before stepping foot in Whiterun.

Guess I'm playing more than 6 hours today.

Clevinger

WanderingWind said:
Where can I start these fucking things...lol. I had the assassin chase after me, and got a book that said to rub myself with nightshade...but I don't think those are related...

Go to taverns and ask the barkeeps about rumors.
They'll tell you about a little boy in Whiterun (or some other town) who wants to summon the Dark Brotherhood.
It'll pop up in your misc quests.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Clevinger said:
Go to taverns and ask the barkeeps about rumors.
They'll tell you about a little boy in Whiterun (or some other town) who wants to summon the Dark Brotherhood.
It'll pop up in your misc quests.
Thanks.

Branson

Video card blewd up :(. So I can't play Skyrim till I get a new computer. It sucks broz. On the plus side I'll be able to run it at ultra once I do get back to it lol.

KorrZ

bengraven said:
Wait, what perk is that?

I thought that was a shout? And if so, where do you get it?

It is a shout, you get the first level of it by following the main story for a while.
The mission where you have to go see the Greybeards, they teach it to you

Trasher said:
How do you unlock the different levels of it? Do you have to find the words?

Yeah you do have to find the word walls. I just stumbled onto them while exploring the world.

If you want to know where the last 2 words are:
- One is in a place called Dead Man's Respite, south-west of Morthal
- Second one is west of Solitude, can't remember the name, but this one is just a word wall outside, Up on a mountain not an actual dungeon.

Tanolen

Just got 100 sneak and picked up the shadow warrior perk, got to say it is the most OP thing i have encountered, all you have to do is crotch in front of the person attacking you then swing your dagger immediately after and bam! 30x sneak attack.

Also, are daggers not considered 1 handed weapons? Gloves I got add 20 percent to 1 handed weapons and none of my daggers get the bonus.

Spokeys

I'm doing a Khajiit specializing in Sneak and Archer. Bows are so fun in the game and I'm enjoying the stealth system though it's super easy to stay hidden as enemies are brain dead and will not even see you while they search even while you're just around the corner. More sneak attacks for me!

But as far as I know, there is no Khajiit's to wed? :( I really wanted one for my guy...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I proudly present the newest Harbinger of the Companions: Ryker!

tesv2011-11-1501-08-13i7mh.png

He's decked out in the Ancient Nord armor which I feel totally fits him. I need to find an Ancient Nord Sword so I can craft the Nord Hero Sword.

So it took me about 10 hours of this game to realize that it is the most beautiful game I have ever played. It may not be the most graphically impressive or technical, but goddamn, when the art style and awesome lighting combine they just create this awesome ancient nordic feeling.

Yep, I love this game. I've played it for 49 hours now and Haven't gotten the least bit bored. My quest list is still fucking full (and growing) and I have yet to touch the majority of the Main Storyline, Companions, Imperial/Stormcloak War, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, and tons of other things that slip my mind.

It's been said literally a million times, but I feel there is no other way to put my feelings about this game into words:

THIS FUCKING GAME. GOTY.

Wallach

Tanolen said:
Just got 100 sneak and picked up the shadow warrior perk, got to say it is the most OP thing i have encountered, all you have to do is crotch in front of the person attacking you then swing your dagger immediately after and bam! 30x sneak attack.

Also, are daggers not considered 1 handed weapons? Gloves I got add 20 percent to 1 handed weapons and none of my daggers get the bonus.

Daggers are considered separate from one-handed weapons.

Help! So I'm trying to get married. The guy in the temple tells me that the ceremony will last from disk til dawn, so I use the wait feature until dusk the next morning. After I wait, like 3 women appear, including Lydia's dead body! After that, everyone tells me to just leave and I get a message that says that I failed my wedding. Is there a fix for this?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Spokeys said:
But as far as I know, there is no Khajiit's to wed? :( I really wanted one for my guy...
I've seen one... and she hates me right now :( She's in Riften, in the pub.

Spokeys

Yoshichan said:
I've seen one... and she hates me right now :( She's in Riften, in the pub.

Awesome! How exactly do you woo the ladies in Skyrim? Do you shower them with gifts or do favors and quests for them?

Yoshichan

Spokeys said:
Awesome! How exactly do you woo the ladies in Skyrim? Do you shower them with gifts or do favors and quests for them?
Do their quests! :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wallach said:
Daggers are considered separate from one-handed weapons.
Dude what... the fuck

Tanolen said:
Using them seems to raise the one handed skill, do they benefit from perks in that tree?
There are perks in the tree that pertain ONLY to daggers! How could they not count?

Agentnibs

KorrZ said:
How many save files do you have? Apparently keeping more than 2-3 save files on the PS3 causes MAJOR slowdown. Deleted all my save files except for 2 and now the game runs perfectly smooth again.

I have maybe 10 or so not including the auto saves. I guess I could try it but Ill have to wait till tomorrow. The slow downs ruined solitude for me. I saw it from a distance and was floored then when I actually got there the game decided to kill itself :(

Hopefully I can fix this because i ve been loving the game. Only complaint I have is that seems every quest always makes you travel across skyrim to continue than back again. Its fine every once in a while but it gets old after about the 10th time. Minor gripe, I know but traveling across tyhe map just takes so much longer with all the mountains

Tanolen said:

I'm pretty sure this is a bug because daggers get the damage bonus from perks, but not from item enchantments.

Wallach

Tanolen said:
Using them seems to raise the one handed skill, do they benefit from perks in that tree?

Yeah sorry, I'm only referring to the perks. The skill is still used to determine base damage, so it will raise one-handed if you use daggers, but nothing in the perk tree works with daggers as far as I know.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wallach said:
Yeah sorry, I'm only referring to the perks. The skill is still used to determine base damage, so it will raise one-handed if you use daggers, but nothing in the perk tree works with daggers as far as I know.
Seriously. The points I've put into Armsman, Dual Flurry , are having no impact on my dual-wielded daggers?

Derrick01

Banned
You really only need daggers to use that sweet 30x stealth damage anyway. If anything lives past that just finish them off with conventional weapons.

Wallach

Hawkian said:
Seriously. The points I've put into Armsman, Dual Flurry , are having no impact on my dual-wielded daggers?

I'm not certain, I can't really test them as a mage. Just forwarding what I was informed. It could be that only the flat "+X% to one-handed damage" modifiers don't work with daggers specifically; on UESP someone has claimed that Bladesman works with daggers even though it specifies swords? I'd test it myself but I am way too busy playing my own character right now. :p

Yoshichan

Mage Guild seems fun this time around!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fucking blood dragon. Why aren't I getting attacked by "weak" dragons people were complaining about? :(

On the plus side, I pcikpocketed a ton of good shit from people in the thieves guild and it shot my pickpocketing from 43 to 50, so I now got the perk for +100 carry weight, which I desperately needed.

Anteater

Spent a few hours last night just killing shit for souls, pissing off some justicars on the road and enchanting shit, enchanting at 50 and smithing at 45, getting soul gems is kind of time consuming :(

Yoshichan

It's worth engaging the dragons just for the music!

Blizzard

Banned
I normally hate things that have limited charges and are not easily renewable. I found a staff, was like whoa this thing zaps wolves in one shot, then realized it was using up its magic charge.

When you refill something with a soul gem, do you lose the gem entirely? And if so, do you have to then wait for shopkeepers to restock gems (aside from ones you can find in dungeons etc.), and then fill the gems so you can refill your staves and reload your armor? Is there some armor or weaponry that is/can be enchanted, but doesn't wear off?

ckohler

Anyone else accruing assaults they can't explain? I entered Whiterun with four asaults on my record. I told the dude there I killed some bandits and when I left town it said I had five. I didn't touch a soul in town. WTF? Does killing bandit leaders considered an assault? They hit me first. :/

Dina

GhaleonEB said:
En route to Thieves Guild quest, I decided to try out a cave I came across. I knew from my last ride through the enemies in this area were scaled way above my level and wanted a high risk/reward challenge. Oh boy did I get one.

I've been chipping away at a Tovald's Cave, which is so far above my current level it's sort of absurd. Well over an hour into it, I've learned I can just barely handle enemies one on one - and that's after I put a 3x damage, poisoned flaming arrow in their back from sneak to open things up. These
Ice Wraiths and Falmers
are no joke.

I just got done hiding under a waterfall from a swarm of dudes after my latest long-range arrow took one of their own down for good. While I was hiding under it, I found a treasure chest with some absurdly awesome loot in it, my 3d piece of 500+ gold armor. Fucking win.

*slinks out from under waterfall for another shot*

I did that cave last night. While it was fun, I believe you should only enter this when you have a quest. Cause I didn't, and while a three tiered cave is fun and long and the falmer/dremer theme is nice, you get no loot whatsoever at the end. No chest, no drops, no nothing.

Filth

Blizzard said:
I normally hate things that have limited charges and are not easily renewable. I found a staff, was like whoa this thing zaps wolves in one shot, then realized it was using up its magic charge.

When you refill something with a soul gem, do you lose the gem entirely? And if so, do you have to then wait for shopkeepers to restock gems (aside from ones you can find in dungeons etc.), and then fill the gems so you can refill your staves and reload your armor? Is there some armor or weaponry that is/can be enchanted, but doesn't wear off?

there is either in the conjurer tree or a spell you can enchant that will recharge your enchantments when you use them.

Otheradam

How are you supposed to engage dragons if they are just flying overhead? It's almost impossible to try to shoot them with a bow. I'm playing a melee character and have had a few dragons roaring and flying over head but they don't want to engage me... I've tried shouting at them.

Yoshichan

Otheradam said:
How are you supposed to engage dragons if they are just flying overhead? It's almost impossible to try to shoot them with a bow. I'm playing a melee character and have had a few dragons roaring and flying over head but they don't want to engage me... I've tried shouting at them.
If you stand on a specific place, he'll fly down to you!

Wanace

Blizzard said:

Yes, gems are used up and destroyed when you recharge an item or enchant an item. Armor and apparel with effects will never lose their charge, only weapons and staves that you can use will.

There is a daedric quest that will allow you to solve your gem issue. I don't want to spoil things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom