• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina

Witchfinder General said:
Where's the closest one? I'm waddling around the town doing baby steps.

If you have a potion of strenght, drink it (it increases your carrying capacity (which is kinda weird because the stat stamina increases your carrying capacity), then quick travel to whiterun and hire one of the two mercenaries or talk to lydia.

Thieves guild question:
I need to clear a bounty without losing my stolen stuff. Someone in the dark brotherhood told me that the thieves guild can do that. HOOWWWWW!? WHEN DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can't you like, store the stolen stuff or sell them to a fence?

kevm3

Alucrid said:
Wait. You mean you get 5 trains per level per skill?

You can train 5 times max per level, so you can do 3 persuasion and 2 heavy armor for example. It's best to train skills that aren't your main skills but will come in handy, especially since training skills that you are proficient in is very expensive and you will just naturally level up those most used skills.

Pollux

Mothman91 said:
Anyone else try another character very early in the game? After leveling my mage to level 4, went and tried out a duel wielding orc. Really fun, and am wanting to try out a third one real quick. Maybe a stealthy rogue or archer.
I started as a sword and board nord. Got to lcl 20 and started A pure Mage dark elf. Got to lvl 4 and started an assassin khajit now on lvl 10 with him. The stealth character is the most fun I've had in a video game in a long time.

zlatko said:
Illusion magic is even easier. Sit in town casting Muffle on yourself over and over. I gained like 20+ in 15-20 minutes. :p

Sneaking is even easier,
in front of whiterun is a guard post where he doesn't move, just keep walking backwards and into the corner tie down the controller and do something for a couple hours
(abusing the game mechanics) instant mastery.

IoCaster

Well fuck, Skyrim sure is rough on my companions. I've had Lydia, Erandur and now Jenassa die on me. Lydia went down in a battle with a dragon, 2 giants and 2 mammoths. I'm not sure which one got her, but I think she might have gotten stomped by one of the mammoths. Erandur got mauled by some cave bears in
Brood Cavern
. I barely got out of there with a sliver of health left. Jenassa got killed in
Swindlers Den
and I have no idea who or what killed her. I noticed she wasn't following me and went looking for her. All I found was a pile of ashes. WTF!?

I don't usually lose henchmen this often in games since I generally deal out and receive most of the damage. Also, most games have the enemy AI focus on the player to a ridiculous degree. In this game my companions have been getting battered almost continually. Oh well, I guess I'll go grab that Azura priestess and give her a shot. :/

Wanace

Otheradam said:
How are you supposed to engage dragons if they are just flying overhead? It's almost impossible to try to shoot them with a bow. I'm playing a melee character and have had a few dragons roaring and flying over head but they don't want to engage me... I've tried shouting at them.

There is a main quest shout you can get that will
force them to land

DO NOT READ BELOW UNLESS YOU'VE COMPLETED THE MAIN QUEST.
Also, does anyone know how to
get rid of the frickin' Elder Scroll? It weighs 20 pounds but I can't drop it because it says it's a quest item. I'm getting a bit tired of having it in my pack, I'd rather display it somewhere.

balddemon

Banned
guys, because of this game, i'm going to school tomorrow. i skipped all last week because i was depressed from not having a job, and was sleeping from 2-4am until 2 or 3pm. then i got this game saturday morning, played about 22 hours since, and now i want to go to class. and not because i'm tired of the game, it's because i'm full of energy again. which is weird, because i've been sitting on my ass the past week.

this game is magical

Man, about 2 hours into my first Bethseda game and I can tell why it consumes people's lives. There's already a ton of shit I can (and want) to do that has nothing to do with what seems to be the main questline. Sucks that I have to go to work tomorrow, but Im gonna be putting some heavy time into this during Thanksgiving break. Especially if MW3's netcode continues being dogshit.

Lach

Beautiful Game! Haven't really been anywhere other than
Whiterun and High Rothgar and the Area inbetween

I kinda wan't AC's Leonardo in this game so I can deltaglide down the highest mountain and engage in air battles with dragon.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Dice said:
Okay this will be the marriage options post. I got sucked into a lot of missions as I did it so I didn't get through everyone (and some I couldn't find) but I will edit those in. After I post this I need to eat and sleep and finish it later. I got the game for free so this is my form of giving back.

First off, it must be acknowledged that it seems they purposely designed some more appealing options here and there but didn't make them available. Why? I don't know. Maybe trying to keep some distance from BioWare/Witcher style of relationships. I used + = - to signify what I think of them.

[North]
- Aeri - Nord. Runs Anga's Mill in the Pale. A workin woman, kinda cold. Sounds Eastern European.

[Central - Whiterun]
= Aela the Huntress - Nord. A bit dramatic, both life perspective and with the facepaint. Sideboob, lol.
+ Jenassa - Dark Elf. She talks like an epic narration. Kinda cool. Looks like she's from Avatar.
= Lydia - Nord. Faithful with a personality like saltine crackers. She does grow on you a bit, though.
- Njada Stonearm - Nord. Total bitch at the start. Don't know how/if she changes her tune.
= Ria - Imperial. Kinda freaky. Very friendly.
- Uthgerd - Nord. Rough lady.
+ Ysolda - Nord. Aspiring merchant. Sweet but kind of... quaint.

[South]
= Camilla Valerius - Imperial. Riverwood. Two dudes were fighting over her but she seems a bit cheap. (forgot to screencp her due to dragon)
- Temba Wide-Arm - Nord. Ivarstead. Uhhhh... really fucking hates bears. Gotta tell her about dragons sometime, let her know that her life ain't so bad.

[Northwest]
- Taarie - High Elf. Solitude. Stuck up and judges your sweet-ass armor as an excuse to sell you shit.
Jordis the Sword-Maiden - Nord. Proudspire Manor in Solitude but I couldn't find her. It was all locked up.
Borghak the Steel Heart - Orc. Mor Khazgur. Haven't been there yet.

[West]
+ Muiri - Breton. Markarth. Young, cute, kind. Get her before she becomes jaded like the others.
+ Orla - Nord. Markarth. Priestess of Dibella (basically Skyrim's rather NSFW Aphrodite-type goddess, heyoooo)
++ Senna - Imperial. Markarth. Priestess of Dibella and my personal pick.
+ Anwen - Redguard. Markarth. Dibella priestess. Doppelganger of the cook in Whiterun.
- Ghorza gra-Bagol - Orc. Markarth. Blacksmith. Seems to have a good heart... but she's a fuggin orc!

Quote for the new page, also is same sex marriage okay in Skyrim?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Level 23 and I've nearly maxed out everything in the archery skill tree.

Literally nothing can take me out. Frost trolls, dragons, etc. If I'm fighting one on one, it is dead.

Only problem comes when I'm fighting groups. But good thing I'm stealth, because I can dwindle most fights down to 1v1
3AQmK.gif

Loving Stealth/Archery

I haven't even tried using melee.. I find it hard to get behind guys without being noticed.. Guess I just need to keep leveling up so I can do that. For now I am pumping people full of arrows. 1 shotting them from a distance is so satisfying :)

I guess one day I'll learn how to backstab ! :(

But leveling 'Sneak' is really simple. The shout that distracts people is also a godsend.. I love it. Been using it like crazy and it auto levels your sneak. Likewise its great to see what enemies are ahead or around a corner without aggroing them.

Went from Lvl 10 to 16 tonight. Upgraded Blacksmithing to 50.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Complistic said:
She's standing to the right and behind you when you exit the temple. You need to talk to her there to finalize the marriage.

She just walked out after I married her, haven't seen her since. Went back to the temple and she's nowhere to be found. Weird.

Well whatever, her loss. I'm rolling in coin.

legbone

zmoney said:
I started as a sword and board nord. Got to lcl 20 and started A pure Mage dark elf. Got to lvl 4 and started an assassin khajit now on lvl 10 with him. The stealth character is the most fun I've had in a video game in a long time.

i'm using a sword and board nord myself. i think the next character i will play as will be a khajit thief/assassin. my nord is honorable and does not steal. my khajit will not give a single fuck.

TurtleSnatcher said:
Loving Stealth/Archery

I haven't even tried using melee.. I find it hard to get behind guys without being noticed.. Guess I just need to keep leveling up so I can do that. For now I am pumping people full of arrows. 1 shotting them from a distance is so satisfying :)

I guess one day I'll learn how to backstab ! :(

But leveling 'Sneak' is really simple. The shout that distracts people is also a godsend.. I love it. Been using it like crazy and it auto levels your sneak. Likewise its great to see what enemies are ahead or around a corner without aggroing them.

Went from Lvl 10 to 16 tonight. Upgraded Blacksmithing to 50.

I'm playing as a sneaky archer too. I absolutely love the game but if there's one complaint I have, it's that you can only walk very slowly backwards, unlike Oblivion where you could run backwards whilst blasting arrows into the enemy. It's only really a problem in tight dungeons where you can't kill an enemy with one shot and they reach you quickly. I totally understand that they did it because animating a character running backwards would look like shit, I forgive them :)

Wallach

PumpkinPie said:
I'm playing as a sneaky archer too. I absolutely love the game but if there's one complaint I have, it's that you can only walk very slowly backwards, unlike Oblivion where you could run backwards whilst blasting arrows into the enemy. It's only really a problem in tight dungeons where you can't kill an enemy with one shot and they reach you quickly. I totally understand that they did it because animating a character running backwards would look like shit, I forgive them :)

Actually they did it specifically to deter you from running backwards and shooting shit at enemies.

Mairu

Man, can't seem to trigger Blood on the Ice to start. Everyone in the town is talking about
the murder, but there's no one to start any quests or investigation. I wasn't there when the crime happened and I can't seem to buy the house until this "matter" is taken care of. It's annoying because I really want to move out of that tiny house in Whiterun :(
Anyone have any ideas on how to get this going?

Lach

So I keep hearing about the
Bard College
. Can I actually learn to
play instruments
? Would be cool.

legbone

Wallach said:
Actually they did it specifically to deter you from running backwards and shooting shit at enemies.

and i think there may be a perk for 2 handers or one handers specifically made for power moves when walking backwards. i cannot remember which (tired at the moment).

edit: yes, chuck norris. i am avoiding the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild until i play my second character which will be thief/assassin. doing companions and other shit with my nord.

mug

I'm trying to escape Cidhna Mine the nonviolent way. Is there a way to unlock that door to escape without doing what Monanach wants? I tried pickpocketing everyone but I can't find a key, only a note.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
IoCaster said:
Well fuck, Skyrim sure is rough on my companions. I've had Lydia, Erandur and now Jenassa die on me. Lydia went down in a battle with a dragon, 2 giants and 2 mammoths. I'm not sure which one got her, but I think she might have gotten stomped by one of the mammoths. Erandur got mauled by some cave bears in
Brood Cavern
. I barely got out of there with a sliver of health left. Jenassa got killed in
Swindlers Den
and I have no idea who or what killed her. I noticed she wasn't following me and went looking for her. All I found was a pile of ashes. WTF!?

I don't usually lose henchmen this often in games since I generally deal out and receive most of the damage. Also, most games have the enemy AI focus on the player to a ridiculous degree. In this game my companions have been getting battered almost continually. Oh well, I guess I'll go grab that Azura priestess and give her a shot. :/
Apparently Faendal died while I was just getting my revenge on Illnata's Keep (owned me at level 1). I didn't even notice... he just doesn't seem to be around anymore. Didn't even get to say goodbye :-/

Trasher

legbone said:
and i think there may be a perk for 2 handers or one handers specifically made for power moves when walking backwards. i cannot remember which (tired at the moment).

edit: yes, chuck norris. i am avoiding the dark brotherhood and the thieves guild until i play my second character which will be thief/assassin. doing companions and other shit with my nord.
Yeah there is a 2hander perk like that.

GhaleonEB

Good lord.

I'm now approaching 4 hours into what was once Tolvald's Cave; it has evolved into something else entirely. The journals I've found only hinted at this place. My planned Thieves Guild quest is long forgotten.

The enemies are numerous and gonzo powerful. I'm still stealthing it - an arrow from sneak from long range, a slinky get away, then return a minute later for another. More and more
dwarven ruins and machines - still active - are showing up. I'm deep into Tolvald's Crossing now, and just ran into something called a Falmer Nightstalker,
and my arrows (shot from about 50 yards away) barely make a dent in it. It's the 3rd class up of its kind, and the first level can crush me in 1 on 1 combat. I think it's guarding something.

So far I have four, maybe five pieces of epic loot, including a staff of shock damage worth 1,500 gold that can do 40 points of damage per blast, tripling my previous most expensive item, and most powerful staff. It is as good as I am in over my head. And I'm way the hell in over my head. The high risk, high reward exploration I wanted from Skyrim is here, in spades.

I'm terrified of these guys, and keep having to ditch food and leather to carry my loot. I have no idea how much further this place goes, but I'm not going to bed until I find out.

This game. This freaking game.

So is anything interesting supposed to happen after you get married? I married my shieldmaiden Jordis and nothing really changed. No new dialogue options except for asking her to cook food or sell me stuff (no "join me in bed" option lol).

balddemon

Banned
cartoon_soldier said:
So, I am having a really hard time lockpicking...apart from just doing trial and error, move pick randomly and rotate lock.

Any tips?

nope, thats the only way to do it i guess. i just gave myself 100 lockpicks because i broke 30+ on a master lock.

player.additem a 100 if you're interested

So pretty much the only other Khajiit I know (besides myself) is also a mage...and he wants to tag along!

Skyrim didn't see this coming...

markot said:
I dont think quest items add to your weight do they?

They do. I've had this Staff of Charming that I haven't been able to get rid of for hours and have no idea what quest it is for. Don't even remember where I got it.

weighs 8 :p

braves01

Banned
This game bruh...

I was admiring the beautiful night sky wishing I could take a nice screen cap when a dragon flies across my field of vision. It was gloriously epic...

...until i realized how bad my ps3 was chugging. I killed the dragon before the textures loaded so it looked like I was fighting a giant flying turd.

No game has made me want a high end PC more. GOTY

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I think it's pretty much confirmed that Skyrim will either be my GOTY or runner-up. Skyward Sword is the only game left that can top this. No other game is beautiful enough to still have me stop what I'm doing to just look at the world 20 hours into it. And there is just so much to do in this game. I never progressed far in Oblivion because I found it boring and ugly as hell. I could have modded it, but I had other games to play. Skyrim had me hooked from the moment I was on my own, and I see no signs of slowing down. God I love this game.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Walk out of Riften and a dragon attacks, I pull out my bow and start shooting at. Horses race past me and start attacking the dragon. These things are all up in that dragon's grill. I'm laughing, then my game closes. Of course.

zmoney said:

My lvl 21 dark elf mage/assassin/thief has 15x stealth damage with daggers, +15% to one-handed weapons, and +60% to one-handed weapons.

I one-hit draugrs with stealth attacks, even on Master. So much fun sneaking through a dungeon and trying to one-hit all the baddies.

Picking perks is so hard though... at one point I had 8 perk points un-used. I really need to respec some of them!

subversus said:
are silent rolls are effective? have to decide if I want to invest in sneak tree further.

Don't bother. The highest you should go is Assassin's Blade.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oh my fucking god...just got attacked by two dragons at once. Ended up taking one out, the other flew off and was replaced by a THIRD dragon, this one being a blood dragon. I ran back to a giant camp and teamed up with some bros to kick its ass. They then chased after me and I used whirlwind sprint to cross over a river, living to see another day. Holy shit. I didn't even get to loot the second dragon!

Cudder

Theres a Campfire north of Whiterun that has a Mammoth and 2-3 giants just wandering about, I tried to take on a giant but the fucker 1 hit kills me every time. jeeeez. left that shit alone after that. i'll be back to put a cap in that giants ass later.

Trasher

End game question. How far am I from completing the main quest line?
My current quest is called Alduin's Bane. I'm currently delivering the elder scroll to Septimus or whatever his name is. Am I getting really close to the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom