• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BoobPhysics101 said:
My lvl 21 dark elf mage/assassin/thief has 15x stealth damage with daggers, +15% to one-handed weapons, and +60% to one-handed weapons.

I one-hit draugrs with stealth attacks, even on Master. So much fun sneaking through a dungeon and trying to one-hit all the baddies.

Picking perks is so hard though... at one point I had 8 perk points un-used. I really need to respec some of them!

Don't bother. The highest you should go is Assassin's Blade.
Really? Silent Roll sounds awesome to me. I hate how slow I have to move crouched.

I've got Ebony Chain armour, and it's effect is that it does 5 damage per second to any enemy who gets close enough. The problem is it turns me and the enemy completely black. I'm wondering if it's intentional or a visual bug. Does anyone else have it who can comment?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please tell me what is happening when I loot something and it explodes with light? Is it a beacon to enemies or something? It's happened to me with both treasure chests and a random sabre cat carcass. This is my third time asking... :-\

legbone

omg.kittens said:
Can someone please tell me what is happening when I loot something and it explodes with light? Is it a beacon to enemies or something? It's happened to me with both treasure chests and a random sabre cat carcass. This is my third time asking... :-\

i'm sorry, i have seen you asking but i have never had it happen to me. does it do damage? maybe it's some type of trap?

BoobPhysics101 said:
My lvl 21 dark elf mage/assassin/thief has 15x stealth damage with daggers, +15% to one-handed weapons, and +60% to one-handed weapons.

I one-hit draugrs with stealth attacks, even on Master. So much fun sneaking through a dungeon and trying to one-hit all the baddies.

Picking perks is so hard though... at one point I had 8 perk points un-used. I really need to respec some of them!

Don't bother. The highest you should go is Assassin's Blade.

How are people stealthing and backstabbing?

I seem to trigger the enemy whenever i get close and I have some points into stealth already....

Do I have to max out the first skill in the tree under Sneak and the armor one as well?

EDIT: Also how do you deal with patrolling NPCs? They are turning nonstop so I freak out...

Or are you guys using your distracting shout constantly?

Addnan

I've made one piece of the armour!

ce3382d8.jpg

Sarcasm

So been trying to get to Northwest Keep. Took the carriage since I don't know anything near it to Solitude. Than get ambushed by assassin and a dragon..die to guards somehow LOL.

Now I found 6 places yet still can't find my way down to the keep...so lost =S

TurtleSnatcher said:
How are people stealthing and backstabbing?

I seem to trigger the enemy whenever i get close and I have some points into stealth already....

Do I have to max out the first skill in the tree under Sneak and the armor one as well?

EDIT: Also how do you deal with patrolling NPCs? They are turning nonstop so I freak out...

Or are you guys using your distracting shout constantly?

Well the stealth can be kinda lame, but I'll give you some tips.

Stealth depends on how fast you move, and how much noise you're making. So if you have the spell 'Muffle', cast it. Or use muffled boots.

Different enemies have different sneak detection prowess. For example, there's some enemies you can literally run in front of while sneaking and dance around them and they'll have no clue, while others can detect you much faster. ALSO, the DIRECTION you're sneaking from determines how easily you're detected! It's much easier to be detected if the enemy is facing you than if the enemy is turned around, so ALWAYS go for the backstab.

If it's a high-detect enemy, I slowly creep up on them, watching my 'stealth-eye' indicator. Once close enough, I just do a quick swing. Don't do a power attack, it'll make you very easy to detect. If you're successful, in the top left corner it'll say Struck for 15x damage! or something like that. Otherwise it'll say you're detected and you won't get the bonus.

I only did the first level of the first perk into stealth because wasting perks for an extra 5-15% less detection seemed lame to me, so I kept on going til I got the 6x backstab and 15x with daggers backstab.

IoCaster

Hawkian said:
Apparently Faendal died while I was just getting my revenge on Illnata's Keep (owned me at level 1). I didn't even notice... he just doesn't seem to be around anymore. Didn't even get to say goodbye :-/

Well shit, Aranea the Azura priestess didn't last long at all. She got caught in a fire trap right after I hired her. It was the first dungeon we went to together. I couldn't even get back to her body to grab the elite gear I had her carrying for me. :mad:

Wanace

Trasher said:
End game question. How far am I from completing the main quest line?
My current quest is called Alduin's Bane. I'm currently delivering the elder scroll to Septimus or whatever his name is. Am I getting really close to the end?

You still have one more act to go. Might take you a while.

Echoplx

I found the best heavy armor trainer, a wild mammoths tusks. All i have to do is cast restoration spells and use some mana potions.

Kworn

Banned
Guys with the 360 version of Skyrim

Are any of you having issues with the contrast in the game?

If I am in the light it is super bright, and if I am in a cave or a tavern some areas are so black I cant even see the items I want to pick up.

Maybe it's time for a tv upgrade

Wallach

IoCaster said:
Well shit, Aranea the Azura priestess didn't last long at all. She got caught in a fire trap right after I hired her. It was the first dungeon we went to together. I couldn't even get back to her body to grab the elite gear I had her carrying for me. :mad:

I hope your character earns a reputation for that shit, haha.

"Being Dragonborn must be as dangerous as it sounds... people that go out adventuring with him don't come back!"

The Xtortionist said:
What's the best way to level the various magic schools? Specifically Illusion, Conjuration and Alteration.
I know that Bound weapons are really great for Conjuration. Can't say anything about the other skills though.

The Xtortionist said:
What's the best way to level the various magic schools? Specifically Illusion, Conjuration and Alteration.
There are cheesy ways to level some of them. The Muffle spell (which I believe is either illusion or conjuration) will basically level up that tree every time you double cast it. You can literally just stand there and cast it over and over again to power level yourself. Since these are all support trees, I'm guessing there are several self-buff spells that you can just repeatedly cast.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
legbone said:
i'm sorry, i have seen you asking but i have never had it happen to me. does it do damage? maybe it's some type of trap?
It's cool. This thread moves so fast that some questions are bound to get overlooked. I think it must be some sort of beacon to alert enemies... But I'm not terribly familiar with the Elder Scrolls games, and so I wanna make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

So far I've put nine hours into the game. After Helgen, I traveled to the first little Riverwhatever village, said hi to the locals, learned how to craft, accepted some missions, and then promptly ignored the missions in favor of exploring. I headed west through a beautiful valley filled with bunnies (haven't killed any yet), wolves, a few sabre cats (shat my pants the first time I saw'em), and a giant! The giant was chill, ridin' solo. I came across several bandits, a few camps with random people and soldiers, and a bunch of Forelorn.

The first cave I entered was filled with wolves... And some crazy ass humanoid tree creature, who kicked my ass. I reloaded and tried fighting it like four times with varying techniques, but no dice. So, I decided to give up on that cave and continue exploring.

The first big city I found was Markarth. What a miserable skeezhole. EARLY MARKARTH QUEST SPOILERS:
I enter the city, see the murder, and help the guy investigate. I go to the inn, and make the mistake of asking the innkeepers about the murdered woman. Somehow I didn't find her room on my own, otherwise I would have just picked the lock and found what I needed to find. Upon leaving the inn, a guard told me to knock it off and mind my own business. I ignored him, of course, and went on to loot the murderer's room and confront the guy pulling the strings. (I forget all the names.) Anyways, apparently I did this all wrong, cause the city guards confront me and I have no option but to sprint away for dear life. Kinda sucks, but oh well.

Oh yeah, and another question: I have a small bounty on my head, and some folks attacked me with a contract signed by "Hunter". Now, the only guy I can think of is this random hunter who I stole some pelts from (and later bought some pelts from). But when I pickpocketed him, he didn't detect me. So... It can't be him who put out the contract, right?

And no dragons so far. Can't wait till my first encounter. :)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
les papillons sexuels said:
Sneaking is even easier,
in front of whiterun is a guard post where he doesn't move, just keep walking backwards and into the corner tie down the controller and do something for a couple hours
(abusing the game mechanics) instant mastery.
:eek: an hour later I went from like 15 to 55.

Tr4nce

I don't own this game (yet :p ), but I was just wondering. Is there something like the Arena quests, like Oblivion had? It's not a gamebreaking issue or something, I was just curious. I don't think I have read or heard about it yet.

GhaleonEB

-Yeti said:
I know that Bound weapons are really great for Conjuration. Can't say anything about the other skills though.
For Conjuration, wander around summoning a buddy over and over.

Finished the dungeon. Took a second lap through it with a torch and found a ton of loot I'd missed, including a chest with 1,000 gold the badass at the end was guarding. I walked in with 6,000 gold, left with 7500, and have 10,000 now that I've sold stuff off. 2/5 of the way to my house in Solitude where I can unload these 50 lbs of books.

I leveled up three times, advanced sneak 10 levels and archery about eight. 4 1/2 hours to find, loot, and return from one dungeon. And it was near town. One. Freaking. Huge. Dungeon.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
zmoney said:
You're going about this game the wrong way...it's not really a check list to complete but an sensation to experience.

Relax, just let the game flow.

You're free to play the game how you want. I'm simply asking if there are any more major quest lines, as the ones I listed are the only ones that are made apparent. As much as I'd like to just wander around the game, I simply don't have enough time to find everything on accident. Therefore I'd like to see the big quest chains the game has to offer and move on until I've got more time to play again.

3chopl0x said:
Oh my god, how is this possible

ibzBTD50qyrHZz.png

:O

Is that loot or crafted?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:

Finished the dungeon. Took a second lap through it with a torch and found a ton of loot I'd missed, including a chest with 1,000 gold the badass at the end was guarding. I walked in with 6,000 gold, left with 7500, and have 10,000 now that I've sold stuff off. 2/5 of the way to my house in Solitude where I can unload these 50 lbs of books.

I leveled up three times, advanced sneak 10 levels and archery about eight. 4 1/2 hours to find, loot, and return from one dungeon. And it was near town. One. Freaking. Huge. Dungeon.
This post makes me want to go back and play more, but it's 12:43 in the morning, and I have to get up at six. :lol

This game is so damn good.

IoCaster

Wallach said:
I hope your character earns a reputation for that shit, haha.

"Being Dragonborn must be as dangerous as it sounds... people that go out adventuring with him don't come back!"

I think this character is snake bit. I don't do the PanderWare™ romance stuff, but I went ahead and married one of the NPCs in this game for shits and grins. Turns out that Camilla has her ex-suitor Faendal over for visits when I'm gone. I caught him coming down from the bedroom of our cozy little Whiterun cottage a couple of hours ago.

I go out adventuring day and night just to provide her with a decent standard of living. Braving the worst that Skyrim throws at me all the while losing companions left and right. This is how she treats me? Bah, I want a divorce. >:|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

leng jai

Alright the random crashes are getting annoying now. Is there a patch scheduled? The framerate is all over the place as well, dropping at strange times while staying at 60 outside with huge draw distances :S

Echoplx

vitaminwateryum said:
:O

Is that loot or crafted?

Full set of crafted Legendary Deadric armor plus all the heavy armor perks = nothing can touch me. I just finished the main quest with my eyes closed :lol

Naeblish

How do you know from afar if a npc is hostile or not on the outside? Like right now i go into stealth, then quick save and first check if they are an enemy by going close, but that should be easier.

Also, as an archer, is the perk that slows down time while zooming in with a bow worth it?

Dresden

Clearing dungeons with nothing but throat-slitting = so good.

Also found a ring and an amulet that, combined, gives me +25% damage reduction on blocks.

Filth

Naeblish said:
How do you know from afar if a npc is hostile or not on the outside? Like right now i go into stealth, then quick save and first check if they are an enemy by going close, but that should be easier.

Also, as an archer, is the perk that slows down time while zooming in with a bow worth it?

for the archer time perk 100% YES!

Luthos

Question about the main story:

Does it continue to give you access to shouts only available through the main quests? As in they give you second level Unrelenting Force, and first level Whirlwind Sprint on the mountain. I just did the quest to get the horn (which wasn't there), but I want to know if I should continue because I can only get cool shouts through doing the main quests, or not.

Dizzy-4U

Corran Horn said:
:eek: an hour later I went from like 15 to 55.
You can also do this with Ulfr, the blind old man in White River Watch (east of Whiterun). Toggle walk next to him against the table and watch the sneak skill go up.

The Xtortionist said:
For speeding up conjuration, go to any river and look for "slaughterfish". Once the fish sees you, get out of the water so it can't hit you. Now you can spam "Bound Sword" or "Bound Battleaxe" over and over and your conjuration level will raise very fast. Or you can use soul trap to your companion, but this is very slow.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Luthos said:
Question about the main story:

Does it continue to give you access to shouts only available through the main quests? As in they give you second level Unrelenting Force, and first level Whirlwind Sprint on the mountain. I just did the quest to get the horn (which wasn't there), but I want to know if I should continue because I can only get cool shouts through doing the main quests, or not.

There are a couple that you get in the main quest that aren't necessary, but are really useful. However,you find the majority of your shouts scattered throughout the world, not just the main quest, and they are really fucking cool.

okenny

Banned
I just saw something that was amazing (but made sense). A dragon was doing bombing runs across the landscape as I emerged from the thief's fort I was raiding. The thing was this dragon was seriously raging on anything and everything: deer, wolves,... bunnies! I mean it was seriously going spastic and even doing what seemed like elbow drops as it dived down on a prey from the sky. It was all a dragon's gangsta paradise until two things that probably don't go well together came together.... this frost dragon and... mammoths. I spare you the details and just say... the mammoths won :( Aparently mammoths aren't bothered much by cold at all :/

Trasher

Luthos said:
My dude is level 25, and currently sitting on 35-40k gold.

I need to find something to buy. Perhaps another house, or two.
Holy crap. Where do you get all your gold from?

GhaleonEB said:

I bet you are gonna freak when you see the dungeon I just finished. It's part of the main quest line. Can't wait to see what you think of it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom