• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pre

I'm hoping that Bethesda will one day learn how to put a more complex and rewarding combat system in these games. And that's coming from someone who loved the hell out of Morrowind.

Nocebo

EVH said:
Why does people in this game tell me that I look sick? I've tried eating and sleeping and they continue to make me feel like I look ill.

Also, I find a bit sad that they used the same IU for the console and PC versions. And also that you can't define some kind of weapon set-up to change them fast without going into the item menu. I'm a thief and I'm always changing from sword to bow.

Btw, this game feels a lot more polished than Oblivion.
Go to magic and look at active effects. Debuffs like diseases show up in red text. Use cure disease potions to cure disease.
What do you mean you can't easily switch from sword to bow? How about putting your sword and bow in your favorites and then hotkeying them to numbers? press 1 for sword, press 2 for bow, easy.

Kworn

Banned
Kworn said:
Guys with the 360 version of Skyrim

Are any of you having issues with the contrast in the game?

If I am in the light it is super bright, and if I am in a cave or a tavern some areas are so black I cant even see the items I want to pick up.

Maybe it's time for a tv upgrade

Anyone have the same problem? It is really bugging me

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How do I actually trigger the start of the dark brotherhood?
I've heard about some boy trying to reach them in Windhelm, which I'm at, and people talk about a butcher murdering people, but I can't actually find anything to trigger a quest here. I can't find the boy, I've found his house but it's always empty.

I also have a question about the thieves guild,
I did the first main quest for it, going to that manor to burn the beehives and steal from the safe. I forget what he told me to do afterwards, and I don't seem to have a quest for it. I thought it was to talk to Maven or whatever her name is, but she doesn't say anything. Brynjolf doesn't seem to ever be down here either.

Ugh.

So I got the game Friday and loved it, but I currently work crappy 12.5 shifts Saturday-Monday. This last night has been hell too, everything has gone wrong. I've been reading this thread all weekend and dying to play some Skyrim.

Now by the time I get home, I will be dead tired and cranky. Plan to get some sleep..and then do nothing but play this game for 4 days. I will probably eat, use the bathroom, and optionally shower during this period.

Just a couple more hours and this nightmare of work will be over, then I can get some rest...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally.

FNbk4.png

Mmmm...

Now to take a break from the serious epic fantasy RPG sandbox and try out this ridiculous urban silly chaos sandbox...

Mairu

krameriffic said:
It just becomes INCREDIBLY tedious if you do it that way and you might as well open up the console and give yourself 100 smithing and just cut out the middleman.
Well, I did make pretty much every set as I played and upgraded each of them while I was playing, but when I need a few points to get to the next part I'd make whatever I had the materials for :p
IoCaster said:
What's stopping you from picking up the object? Is it non-selectable or something else?
Non-selectable

DurielBlack said:
Ugh.

So I got the game Friday and loved it, but I currently work crappy 12.5 shifts Saturday-Monday. This last night has been hell too, everything has gone wrong. I've been reading this thread all weekend and dying to play some Skyrim.

Now by the time I get home, I will be dead tired and cranky. Plan to get some sleep..and then do nothing but play this game for 4 days. I will probably eat, use the bathroom, and optionally shower during this period.

Just a couple more hours and this nightmare of work will be over, then I can get some rest...

What kind of work do you do that requires such long shifts?

Trasher

Hawkian said:
Finally.

Now to take a break from the serious epic fantasy RPG sandbox and try out this ridiculous urban silly chaos sandbox...
What are we looking at here? You crafted this somehow? Or is it an enchant?

ArachosiA 78 said:
Sounds like hospital shifts.

jonno394

Hawkian said:
Finally.

FNbk4.png

Mmmm...

What are these, uniquely crafted or can they be found in the wild?

cackhyena

Oh God. The end of the quest line in the drinking contest. Creepy. This game is crack.

And is anyone as crazy as me with saves? 33 hours and 271 saves.

Trasher

cackhyena said:
Oh God. The end of the quest line in the drinking contest. Creepy. This game is crack.

I've saved maybe four times at the most. Autosaving is your friend.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
cackhyena said:

39 hours with about 220-ish saves. Skyrim absolutely loves to randomly close on me, so I save quite frequently.

syoaran

Went up the 7000 steps the first time, talked to the women on the way up and got killed by a pack of wolves catching me AFK'ing

Reloaded the save at the bottom, worked my way up again - as soon as I started talking to her a Dragon popped up and blasted her to bits. She had a 15%+ damage 1h ring on her to boot!

Love this game, full of surprises. Just walking about and being caught up in random set pieces, bandits randomly disguising themselves as Imperials and quests with a few twists and turns really makes this game quite engaging.

Trasher

cackhyena said:
Not nearly enough. You're crazy.
Does the PC version have crashing problems? I'm over 30 hours in (Xbox), and I've had no problems with dying and not having a good save to rely on. Every once in a while I'll zone in or out of something to trigger the autosave just to be careful, but generally it seems to save quite often.

Danielsan

I just followed a talking dog to a Daedric Shrine, where I got to meet and chat with his Deadric owner, who seems have a great sense of black humor.

cackhyena said:
Not nearly enough. You're crazy.
140 manual saves and counting here, but I'm playing on expert.

Trasher

Trevelyon said:
What trader(s) holds the most gold? is there a "golden" city for general traders.
I'm currently looking to level up my speech as much as I can so I can get the perks where every merchant has 1000 gold, and the perk where it lets you sell any type of item to any merchant you want.

Trasher said:
Does the PC version have crashing problems? I'm over 30 hours in (Xbox), and I've had no problems with dying and not having a good save to rely on. Every once in a while I'll zone in or out of something to trigger the autosave just to be careful, but generally it seems to save quite often.

Yeah and there's a timer thing that you can set so that it saves when you go into a menu. If you set it at 5 minutes (the minium) it pretty much saves every time you open it. Add that to it saving every time you leave or enter an area, and every time you wait or sleep, it is pretty much saving all the time.

ArachosiA 78 said:

"Business Control Analyst", basically I babysit the company mainframe and servers, fix stuff when it (inevitably) breaks and wake up programmers when something they (inevitably) botched during the day blows up at 3am (and they messed up a LOT of stuff this weekend).

We are 24/7/365. No holidays. I normally would work M-F on 2nd shift but we had a guy quit and I am now working this crappy weekend shift until they find a replacement which probably won't be until after the holidays :-(

It beats retail which is what I did for 10 years before finally getting a degree in IT, I get paid a hell of a lot more and the hours are actually less wacky now.

Did I hear right that there is a female necromancer companion that can be picked up somewhere? Anyone know what this characters name is?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1544 separate saves in 43 hours played, I don't take any chances with open world RPGs. I've already had a couple cases where I had to revert to an immediately prior save due to game problems. Quicksave-only is skydiving without a parachute.

Sotha Sil

I can't for the life of me create a non-pissed-off Dunmer. I'm thinking of making a happy go lucky thief as my second character, but despite all my efforts, my creations all end up looking like angry 90 year old necromancers.

Sotha Sil said:
I can't for the life of me create a non-pissed-off Dunmer. I'm thinking of making a happy go lucky thief as my second character, but despite all my efforts, my creations all end up looking like angry 90 year old necromancers.

I dislike the Elven models in this game

goodfella

Sotha Sil said:

He can either have evil red eyes, or creepy as hell white eyes.

Or, you know, one of each.

Naeblish

EviLore said:
1544 separate saves in 43 hours played, I don't take any chances with open world RPGs. I've already had a couple cases where I had to revert to an immediately prior save due to game problems. Quicksave-only is skydiving without a parachute.
Dude, that's one save every 2 minutes, that's kinda crazy. I quicksave all the time and just save new at every dungeon/town/conversation, but rotate saves after a 100.

Marv_79

Neo Member
I’m a complete noob when it come to this style of game and I am very much enjoying it thus far but wanted to ask for a little help if I may.

I’m currently a level 10 Nord (the advertising made me do it) and have been spending most of my perk points on one-handed, destruction and lock picking but after reading on here about how much fun every one is having with conjuration I thought give it a go, I’ve only spent one perk point on it so far but can’t work out what it supposed to do now, how do I cast a conjuration spell? Is my character capable of conjuration or have I wasted a perk point? What I missing folks

Many thanks in advance.

R1CHO

So... unique items scale? :(

My blade of woe makes 14 of base damage, on uespwiki there are two different values (12,19)

Somebody has that dagger?

Alastor

syoaran said:
Went up the 7000 steps the first time, talked to the women on the way up and got killed by a pack of wolves catching me AFK'ing

How do I get to these stairs? I walk around this big mountain and see no way to the top :\

Zeliard

Marv_79 said:
I’m a complete noob when it come to this style of game and I am very much enjoying it thus far but wanted to ask for a little help if I may.

I’m currently a level 10 Nord (the advertising made me do it) and have been spending most of my perk points on one-handed, destruction and lock picking but after reading on here about how much fun every one is having with conjuration I thought give it a go, I’ve only spent one perk point on it so far but can’t work out what it supposed to do now, how do I cast a conjuration spell? Is my character capable of conjuration or have I wasted a perk point? What I missing folks

Many thanks in advance.

Well, you need some Conjuration spells first. :p

Sotha Sil

goodfella said:
He can either have evil red eyes, or creepy as hell white eyes.

Or, you know, one of each.

They could at least, you know, smile. Dudes all remind me of Lena Headey, and that's not a good thing.

Amir0x

Banned
The one place where I had a real save issue, which taught me not to forget to keep saving, is when I was wandering randomly about the world and randomly stumbled into that Hag's Keep or whatever it was called. I was playing on Master difficulty, and refuse to change it. I got to the top of the keep, easily enough, but I guess I wasn't supposed to be there this early in the game (I haven't even gone to that place to learn about dragon voices yet, I've just been wandering around the world stumbling upon caves and doing everything inside). Because the boss fight at the top was insane for a hunter of my skillset. A small little area with two frost trolls that took 2/3 damage off with one hit and a Hagraven witch who could nearly kill me with one hit, and took the opportunity to do so immediately upon entering her little cliff area with a fireball. When I tried to leave, the way back was shut off to me. And the last save was ages ago, so it really pissed me off. After that I save frequently.

Alastor

Marv_79 said:

You have to buy spellbooks from various wizards or find them in the wild (but they are pretty rare form my experience). A basic spell costs around 100 gold, if I remember correctly. Then it's just one click on the book in your inventory and equipping the spell.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Naeblish said:
Dude, that's one save every 2 minutes, that's kinda crazy. I quicksave all the time and just save new at every dungeon/town/conversation, but rotate saves after a 100.

Bethesda game :D

Marv_79

Neo Member
Alastor said:
You have to buy spellbooks from various wizards or find them in the wild (but they are pretty rare form my experience). A basic spell costs around 100 gold, if I remember correctly. Then it's just one click on the book in your inventory and equipping the spell.

Ah right thank you so much, it was driving me nuts.

So I suppose there's no point in spending any more perk points on it till I get a spell book ;)

Arjen

Alastor said:
How do I get to these stairs? I walk around this big mountain and see no way to the top :\

Try to find the village Ivarstead, it's pretty easy to find from there on out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Trasher said:
What are we looking at here? You crafted this somehow? Or is it an enchant?
jonno394 said:
What are these, uniquely crafted or can they be found in the wild?
Crafted two dwarven daggers, enhanced them both to superior, enchanted one with fire damage and one with frost ;)

sturmdogg

Not sure if this isn't a silly question or not, so mock me if it is.....

I just got Oblivion, and I'm still around 10 hours in. Now that Skyrim's out, I'm itching to get this game and drop Oblivion. Is Skyrim a huge step forward from Oblivion? I don't want to drop $60 and find out it's the old game in a new skin.

Carcetti

Question about spells. College of Winterhold questline ending spoilers included:
at level 10 my mage is now the archmage of the college but I have a terrible selection of spells (killing Morokai who could 2-shot me with my just basic firebolt nearly killed my sanity...) Who sells the higher level spells or are they just hidden somewhere in the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom