• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Eteric Rice said:
Think I'm going to go Fire and Frost.

Also, conjuration. :)

Is this good?

Conjuration is really awesome - upgraded atronachs are simply additional followers that can take the heat off of you in a high stress encounter. I'm using it on my archer with wonderful results.

Interfectum

Bisnic said:
So yeah...just started playing the game, went with following the rebel to his hometown. Everyone is being nice and all, and i decide to kill some random chicken on the street...now everyone wants to kill me.

Wtf guys, its just a chicken!

Go into a small town in real life, pull out a gun and blow a dog's brains out in the middle of the street. See what kind of reaction you get. ;p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
markot said:
How would you feel if someone killed your chicken in the middle of town for fun!?

Free chicken for everyone? I was just thinking about saving them the trouble to kill it themselves.

ElyrionX

mxgt said:
That was my intention but I've delved deep into restoration and illusion along with destruction. You definitely need some form of control over enemies as pure mage is the very definition of glass cannon. I get 1 shot frequently by enemies I come across so I rely on Lydia to soak damage while I stand back and unleash fiery death on the enemies while healing her if needed and calm/fearing other enemies

That's on Master difficulty

I'm on Adept and with Destruction at level 47 and character level 15, I am feeling the glass cannon-ness of the build. Getting two-shotted by frost sabre tigers and against enemy mages, I can't seem to hold my own if I don't break their wards after one or two spells. If more than two mages gang up on me, it's pretty much a lost cause. Currently, my life is only 100 so it goes down fast in any kind of intense scenario. My crowd control comes in the form of fireballs as I don't like Illusion-type spells.

However, I am an assassin-mage and I've leveled Sneak so basically I am sneaking around unseen and dual-casting fireballs and catching enemies off-guard. If I can't kill them with two fireballs, I back off and hide until they lose their suspicion and I go back and cheese them again. Pretty effective thus far. Therefore, I only intend to grab the Silent Casting perk (and the pre-reqs) from the Illusion tree to help with the Sneak.

I was considering going down the Restoration perk tree but decided against it in the end. It's meaningless to get better healing spells when the Fast Healing spell restores 75 health and I only have a 100 to begin with. So I'm just going to grab the Novice Restoration and +50% cure and +50% magicka regen perks from that tree and leave it at that.

I will be grabbing a whole lot of the Alteration perks though I am currently debating Mage Armour because I heard some of the masks are awesome and since those are considered light or heavy armour, Mage Armour wouldn't work with them.

Not currently planning to go down Conjuration at all. And in line with the assassin mage build, I will be grabbing the 15x dagger backstab damage perk. Now I'm wondering if I can squeeze 5 of the +20% one-handed damage perk into my build.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys I am a level 8 Redguard. Where/what is the fastest and best way to grind for both gold and leveling up?

isamu said:
Guys I am a level 8 Redguard. Where/what is the fastest and best way to grind for both gold and leveling up?

I'm at level 8, too. Last night I just decided to walk all the way across the map from Whiterun to Markarth to get the Lovers Stone. That took me from 6.5 to 8.5 without even going in any caves or dungeons and just battling along the way. Also probably picked up 4000-5000 gold in loot and coin.

Am I the only one that isn't using a follower? I dunno, I just feel like I don't want to have any help. In the Fallout games I always did, since I'd save on ammo (plus the skill system was different). Here I figure I'd also be missing out on leveling up skills as much.

IoCaster

Mairu said:
Well, I did make pretty much every set as I played and upgraded each of them while I was playing, but when I need a few points to get to the next part I'd make whatever I had the materials for :p

Non-selectable

Kinda late on the reply, but you could try to use the console to get it. Just bring up the console and click directly on the object to get the ID#. Then use the "player.additem ID# 1" command. It's worth a shot.

ElyrionX

flashburn2012 said:
Am I the only one that isn't using a follower? I dunno, I just feel like I don't want to have any help. In the Fallout games I always did, since I'd save on ammo (plus the skill system was different). Here I figure I'd also be missing out on leveling up skills as much.

Nope, I roll solo as well. Real assassins don't need no backups.

Maybrick

Neo Member
How do you guys feel the Soundtrack on Oblivion compares to Skyrim? Maybe the music in the game isnt much of a big deal to people but for me it made me enjoy Oblivion tenfold with that soundtrack.

I personally think the Soundtrack for Skyrim is amazing although at the moment I'm struggling to compare it with Oblivion as to which triumphs!

Lakitu

st5fu
Heh, just had my first
Blood Dragon encounter. In Falkreath, no less. Pretty funny that the town goat was just sitting there while me and a bunch of guards were trying to kill the dragon. That goat is pretty chill.

flashburn2012 said:

As a stealth character I don't like using followers, however the other reason is I just don't want them to die and be wiped out of existence lol. Probably I should just hire a random merc. Anyone that's like story or quest relevant in the least I don't like dragging out into the world so they can get killed(Lydia, Erik). Haha I'm weird.

Arjen

flashburn2012 said:

Nope, i've been rolling solo to. I felt overpowered in New Vegas with companions, so i decided not to use them anymore.
And i'm a sneaky archer, doesn't feel right to have someone trailing along.

mil6es

isamu said:

yay another redguard!!! I to need to know this information, trying to build a battle mage, gonna be epic

Trevelyon

Am I fucked?

I can't reach the quest giver who help cure my stage 4 vampirism, if I'm lucky enough to even sneak through Falkreath with embrace of shadows to reach the bar, as soon as I enter, I'm attacked on sight by an agry horde, embrace doesn't help conceal me in close proximity.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Trevelyon said:
Am I fucked?

I can't reach the quest giver who help cure my stage 4 vampirism, if I'm lucky enough to even sneak through Falkreath with embrace of shadows to reach the bar, as soon as I enter, I'm attacked on sight by an agry horde, embrace doesn't help conceal me in close proximity.

Can you (spoiler) tell me the pros and cons of being a vampire?

flashburn2012 said:
I'm a lone warrior as well, followers get in the way.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
nicoga3000 said:
You can max all of you skills but NOT all of your perks.
The FIRST mod i'm going to apply to my game, no matter when it comes out, is the mod that allows you to get each perk as soon as you reach the desired level, Oblivion style.

I want everything. I want destruction spells, one handed combat, heavy armor, speech, enchanting, smithing and restoration perks. ALL OF THEM

Numpt3

Maybrick said:
How do you guys feel the Soundtrack on Oblivion compares to Skyrim? Maybe the music in the game isnt much of a big deal to people but for me it made me enjoy Oblivion tenfold with that soundtrack.

I personally think the Soundtrack for Skyrim is amazing although at the moment I'm struggling to compare it with Oblivion as to which triumphs!
I can't comment on the Oblivion soundtrack since I haven't played it, but the music in Skyrim is absolutely fantastic.

Chairhome

I know its been asked a couple times, and I'm guessing the answer is "no", but has anyone found a way to call (or at least locate on the compass) your horse or companions?

Fun times last night: fought a dragon, he flew towards some giants and they took care of the rest... then I ran there to loot the body and the giants shot me to the moon :-(. Luckily I was able to load a save that was just before the fight.

Every time I'm at work thinking of Skyrim I just think of the Oblivion main theme. Which is a shame because the music is Skyrim is goddamn amazing. But that Oblivion main theme is just too damn good.

Trevelyon

Toma said:
Can you (spoiler) tell me the pros and cons of being a vampire?

I couldn't really say anything positive, you get a shitty invisibility cloak that certainly isn't doing me any good right now, despite my sneak skills, some better night vision and a resurrection spell, and the trade off is basically all of Skyrim wants to stake you, at all times.

I can't seem to get to the quest giver, voice of the emperor doesn't help either. I just came off "diplomatic immunity" so all my scrolls and potions aren't with me.

Acheteedo

flashburn2012 said:

I kept killing mine, so I've ditched em for good. Being a mage is dangerous for everyone in the immediate vicinity.

epmode

flashburn2012 said:
Am I the only one that isn't using a follower?
Same here. Screw those guys, trying to steal my glory. Didn't use them in Fallout 3/New Vegas either.

And as a pure mage, I really hate having to watch my spells when a follower is around. Electric death for EVERYONE.

..but since I have almost no HP, I've specced into Conjuration and I love it. You can hit them as much as you like and they won't complain!

Chairhome said:
I know its been asked a couple times, and I'm guessing the answer is "no", but has anyone found a way to call (or at least locate on the compass) your horse or companions?

Fun times last night: fought a dragon, he flew towards some giants and they took care of the rest... then I ran there to loot the body and the giants shot me to the moon :-(. Luckily I was able to load a save that was just before the fight.

Nope. However if you fast travel your horse will end up next to you. If it doesn't it's dead.

Haha okay, glad to hear I'm not the only one rolling solo. I might try taking along a follower, but I don't see me sticking with it. In fact, I can already tell I'll be likely to turn on them and kill them in the middle of a dungeon crawl.

This game...fuck. There's JRPGs, WRPGs, KRPGs, MMORPGs and then there are Bethesda RPGs. Till now I liked RPGs now I freaking love RPGs.

amazing. Just amazing. And I feel like I have barely scratched the surface...

I also don't see anyway the Bethesda owners not making them launch a MMO from this.

I mean a roughly 100 person team gave us this game in approx. 3 years. Hats Off Bethesda.

Am I the only one that isn't using a follower?

I have Lydia since she can tank for me. I might part ways after I get my sneak up more.

I have spread my perks and leveling around so much, I am not really a master at anything. Little bit of sneaking, little bit of one-handed, little bit of Smithing, little bit of Enchanting, Light Armor. lol

I'm going to spend time today leveling up sneak, restoration, and smithing from the suggestions here and UESP. When my character is able to level up, should i do it or just keep him at the same level and keep leveling up those skills to my heart's content until i want to go to the next level? I'm afraid leveling him up before i have the gear and stuff i want will cause some combat inequalities with higher level enemies. Is this based in something or should i just level the shit out of my dude? Might be a stupid question but idk

xxczx

How many perks can you get? 50 like the max level?

If so, shit. I've wasted about 5-6 on stuff I don't use anymore.

Dyno

Dragon's don't like me! Destruction magic pulls them out of the sky!

Here is a classic Elder Scrolls event: I thinned out my possessions so that I could scrape together 5,000gp. before I left Whiterun. Why? So that I would have a fat purse when I went to the College of Wizardry? No! So that I could buy a home. A home that I can't afford to furnish. I home where I put in half a dozen books and around ten ingots and that's it.

But it's a house, my home. I guess I needed it. Elder Scrolls man. How does it work?

Nocebo

Bisnic said:
So yeah...just started playing the game, went with following the rebel to his hometown. Everyone is being nice and all, and i decide to kill some random chicken on the street...now everyone wants to kill me.

Wtf guys, its just a chicken!
Almost everyone in Skyrim is a member of PETA, just so you know.

webrunner

Is it possible to get a faq added way up high in the OT, or something? Or make the thread title "GO TO YOUR MAGIC SHOUTS MENU TO SPEND SOULS"

Wanace

Yes, I can finally buy the house in Solitude. Just need to sell a few things from my stash and I'll have enough to pimp it out.

Wish the mudcrab merchant from Morrowind made a return so I don't have to trek all over the world time and time again to sell all my crap. Being an alchemist is pure money in the bank but unless you're also a Speech expert it's impossible to sell it all at once. I took every last ingredient of mine and made as many potions as I could. I had hundreds in my inventory, it will take me forever to sell them all, especially since some of them are worth 100+ gold each.

Salaadin

When do you stop earning perks? 50? Do you ever hit a point where you get 2 perks per level? And Im also guessing that theres no re-spec either until someone mods that in?

Anteater

man, those 2 handers and mages (magic) hits hard for my light armor character, I have to move away/dodge their attacks, but then my light armor isn't leveling up at all!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Salaadin said:
When do you stop earning perks? 50? Do you ever hit a point where you get 2 perks per level? And Im also guessing that theres no re-spec either until someone mods that in?

70 is supposedly the hard limit.

And the game isnt structured to be able to do everything in one play through. Wait for mods or play again with a different playstyle.

Nocebo

DoctorWho said:
Is there any reason to keep all the dragon bones you get from killing a dragon? Should I just sell them?
They're only used for crafting as far as I know so if you don't do any crafting I'd sell them. If something is actually important for something I'm pretty sure the game won't let you discard it.

xxczx

DoctorWho said:
Is there any reason to keep all the dragon bones you get from killing a dragon? Should I just sell them?
No reason to keep them but once you get 100 in smithing, you can make Dragon Armor (there's both light and heavy armor)

Victrix

*beard*
Ok that was epic

Artifact spoilers

Azura's Star

So I just hit level 20 and I figured I should go investigate the rumors of the Star.

Azura's shrine is way up on a mountaintop, way way up.

The final step is returning the incomplete star, I take it back to her shrine maiden and...

A fucking dragon strafes the mountaintop shrine, flying over us both and hovering in midair torching the place.

I'm now fighting a dragon on a mountain top in the middle of a blizzard

Flinging spells up at the beast, its finally defeated and then...

Artifact spoilers again

I have to go into the Star to cleanse it. Except, as it turns out, its filled with heinously powerful mage creatures who nuke the shit out of me if I show my face.

I puzzle over this for a few moments, then resolve it by sprinting to my target, using my voice to get there faster, and dual wielding magic staves, which I use to nuke the shit out of my target, killing him before the others can catch up to me.

Unscripted awesome. So good.

I'm trying to find a dragon sign in Forelhost. I can get past the hordes, but then I get stuck behind a rock. The journal seems to say to use a shout, but I can't get any love.

Any clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom