• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

I asked yesterday but didn't get many responses. Any high level (>30) pure Destruction mages in here? Mind sharing your experience thus far and how viable Destruction magic is at higher levels?

Eteric Rice said:
Made a Mage.

Is there a way I can get a partner to help me out in the ruins? Shit is hard when you're a mage, bro.

have you done the quest that lets you become the Thane of Whiterun? You get someone to be with you then.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
sturmdogg said:
Not sure if this isn't a silly question or not, so mock me if it is.....

I just got Oblivion, and I'm still around 10 hours in. Now that Skyrim's out, I'm itching to get this game and drop Oblivion. Is Skyrim a huge step forward from Oblivion? I don't want to drop $60 and find out it's the old game in a new skin.
Get Skryim and never look back. It's a world of difference.

Carcetti said:
Question about spells. College of Winterhold questline ending spoilers included:
at level 10 my mage is now the archmage of the college but I have a terrible selection of spells (killing Morokai who could 2-shot me with my just basic firebolt nearly killed my sanity...) Who sells the higher level spells or are they just hidden somewhere in the world?

Higher level spells become available in shops when your character level is higher. It's all based on the level scaling.

Luthos

So my first guy has been a sword and board character.

Yet I found a blizzard scroll. And after using it, I'm so stoked for whenever I make my mage character (which'll be my next one). The two handed spells are so crazy looking. And the blizzard filled up the whole room I was in. It was so insane that I nearly died because I just kept staring at it.

So who's playing on expert? As soon as the game started, I put the game on its highest difficulty setting. So far, I'd say it's more challenging then difficult. I have to think about my next move and just do more than simply bashing enemies with my weapon. I am liking it very much so far.

NBtoaster

AuthenticM said:
So who's playing on expert? As soon as the game started, I put the game on its highest difficulty setting. So far, I'd say it's more challenging then difficult. I have to think about my next move and just do more than simply bashing enemies with my weapon. I am liking it very much so far.

Master is the highest difficulty, not expert.

glaurung

Can someone explain me how the lockpicking method scales with levels?

I understand that with higher level locks (expert, master) the gap to find the correct position for the lockpick is narrower.

Does boosting the skill mean that the gap becomes wider (makes no sense) or something else? Or does it just increase lockpick durability?

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Killed a big ass wolf then quick saved with low health, right after the quick save another wolf came at me..

Had to revert back 20 minutes of gameplay :(

Crazetex

glaurung said:
Can someone explain me how the lockpicking method scales with levels?

I understand that with higher level locks (expert, master) the gap to find the correct position for the lockpick is narrower.

Does boosting the skill mean that the gap becomes wider (makes no sense) or something else? Or does it just increase lockpick durability?

Both.

AuthenticM said:

As said above, Master is the highest, I myself am playing on Expert and have been the entire game. My only issue is that I feel like I've been leveling a bit too quickly to experience content at the pace I wanted to, which could be a side-effect of having to hit more often/take more hits.

glaurung

Eteric Rice said:
I'm in the beginning still. Where NPC do I need to talk to, to get this started?
You should be able to get these quests from the Jarl and from his court wizard. Could be that you need to do some odd tasks for the townspeople, but I became a Thane rather quickly.

You also get to buy a house, but it costs 5000 gold so I had to save up for it. Whiterun is nicely in the middle of the map so having a storehouse there is convenient.

NBtoaster

Mudcrabs in this game are kind of cool. These guys were actually giving me a hard time (there were 5 around a pool of water)

mudcrabcvc7e.png

And it's awesome when wildlife joins in against dragons. If a bit unfair :p

tesv2011-11-1523-20-313e7p.png

Should have left the mudcrabs alive, seen what they would do :f

Nocebo

Eteric Rice said:
Made a Mage.

Is there a way I can get a partner to help me out in the ruins? Shit is hard when you're a mage, bro.
Hard to believe you're having trouble in the beginning as a mage. Which ruins are you talking about anyway? There are many. You're probably just playing poorly? There's nothing that can't be soloed in this game.

jonno394

mescalineeyes said:
With being able to fast travel, does that really matter?

I don't fast travel because the world is too awesome to not want to walk about in as often as possible, that may change after 40 hours or so.

The only time I fast travelled was when I was saving up to buy my house in White Run, took lydia to Dustmans Cairn to loot all the armour, weapons and general crap i'd left in my wake.

Took two trips and just fast travelled between there and White Run and it took my an hour or so to do even then!

ElyrionX said:
I asked yesterday but didn't get many responses. Any high level (>30) pure Destruction mages in here? Mind sharing your experience thus far and how viable Destruction magic is at higher levels?

With dual casting pure destruction you will be one and two shotting everything. Mages are super OP at higher levels. The only hard time I had was during the first handful of levels.

syllogism

Basileus777 said:
Higher level spells become available in shops when your character level is higher. It's all based on the level scaling.
In the case of mage college, it's based on the appropriate skill rather than your level. I imagine they were worried about a) players basically never using low-mid level spells or b) players attempting to use higher level spells, but not really have enough mana for them.

mxgt

Banned
ElyrionX said:

That was my intention but I've delved deep into restoration and illusion along with destruction. You definitely need some form of control over enemies as pure mage is the very definition of glass cannon. I get 1 shot frequently by enemies I come across so I rely on Lydia to soak damage while I stand back and unleash fiery death on the enemies while healing her if needed and calm/fearing other enemies

That's on Master difficulty

mxgt said:
That was my intention but I've delved deep into restoration and illusion along with destruction. You definitely need some form of control over enemies as pure mage is the very definition of glass cannon. I get 1 shot frequently by enemies I come across so I rely on Lydia to soak damage while I stand back and unleash fiery death on the enemies while healing her if needed.

That's on Master difficulty

Are you low level? I don't have a problem at all with my Mage. Things die before they get close enough to hit me. In a rare emergency I can just shout them far away from me and repeat the process.

*never mind just saw your edit that you are playing master difficulty. I am playing default whatever that is.

mxgt

Banned
MustacheBandit_ said:
Are you low level? I don't have a problem at all with my Mage. Things die before they get close enough to hit me. In a rare emergency I can just shout them far away from me and repeat the process.

*never mind just saw your edit that you are playing master difficulty. I am playing default whatever that is.

If it's one or two enemies I can just destroy them from range before they get to me (dual cast incinerate lololol) but I often struggle with 3-4 enemies at once.

And those damn sabertooth cats that pretty much 1 hit kill me and are super fast.

Pure mage is definitely viable though and very fun

Sotha Sil

mxgt said:
If it's one or two enemies I can just destroy them from range before they get to me (dual cast incinerate lololol) but I often struggle with 3-4 enemies at once.

And those damn sabertooth cats that pretty much 1 hit kill me and are super fast.

Put some points into stealth and archery. Arrow "backstabs" will help you tons.

Loving the game so far. Got tired of my melee class at around level 14 though, so decided to start a new file. I decided to take advantage of the little sneak skill exploit to boost my new character's level up a bit. Just a rubber band and I'm good to go surf the net, grab some breakfast, etc, lol.

MedIC86

Anyone know were i can get a nice dagger in Skyrim? all i've found were with some magical properties like fire, but nothing nice.

markot

Banned
I hated Oblivion, I really like Skyrim.

Skyrim is everything Oblivion should have been >.< (.... you know what I mean!)

Oblivion isnt worth even playing imo. Its just a bad game.

Tom Penny

Game is amazing. It's so freaking big. Just got done using the caravan to go to the towns I haven't visited then it's time to really dive in. The map is retarded big.

Jintor

Fuck me. I left my companion outside a transition zone into a 'forbidden area' so I could do some thieving, and when I came back he was gone. Turns out he had followed me into the zone (probably a byproduct of the transition zone thing where NPCs that are still talking to you will follow you through the transition) and now he refuses to budge. I can't tell him to follow me because he just endlessly repeats "You're not supposed to be in here". Amusingly, I can still order him around by holding down e, I just can't get the fucker to follow me.

Goddamnit Skyrim

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Nocebo said:
Hard to believe you're having trouble in the beginning as a mage. Which ruins are you talking about anyway? There are many. You're probably just playing poorly? There's nothing that can't be soloed in this game.

Definitely but I wouldn't have made it through dwarf dungeons without Lydia.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Acheteedo said:
I'm 40 hours in and I still feel like I'm just starting out.

16 hours here and I've just (The Companions spoiler)
become a werewolf
. I'm avoiding the main quest line for as long as possible, though I think all of the miscellaneous quests available to me lie at opposite ends of the map.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So yeah...just started playing the game, went with following the rebel to his hometown. Everyone is being nice and all, and i decide to kill some random chicken on the street...now everyone wants to kill me.

Wtf guys, its just a chicken!

Spent about 35 hours in the game so far, cleared out the main quests in Whiterun, did the Thieves Guild, I think I'm going to just do all the story missions so I can start a new character and try some magic.

Outside of healing myself with the lowest level resto spell I haven't used magic at all, and there's some really cool magic stuff in this game. Unfortunately I wanted my main character to be a pure neutral rogue. As awesome as he is, I think my Mage is just gonna burn shit. Burn everything and everyone. Can you make an old ass looking wizard guy with a beard? It's either that or an Imperial lady that doesn't wear clothes.

Interfectum

question... if I choose to join the empire or the rebellion is that a permanent choice that influences the story of the game? And I take it I cannot join both, correct?

markot

Banned
Bisnic said:
So yeah...just started playing the game, went with following the rebel to his hometown. Everyone is being nice and all, and i decide to kill some random chicken on the street...now everyone wants to kill me.

How would you feel if someone killed your chicken in the middle of town for fun!?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bisnic said:

Haha, I did the very same thing. Their overzealous reaction caught me wondering...

b9x0v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom