• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendelrt

Does the base skill of enchanting increase the effect on a item. So say you are lvl 25 in enchanting and you get x% enchantment, if you were level 50 (with no additional perks) would you get x+y% enchantment (y being some number from scaling). Or is it all based on perks?

Salaadin

Lonestar said:
Finally made it over to Riften last night. Traveled along the northern ridge (past Mzulft? Which looks cool), then south into the city. Saw my first werewolf, I guess. Or maybe it's a black haired troll. Spooked me at first, it basically looks like BigFoot.

Me and my Horse proceeded to get the hell outta there.

There are werewolves that roam Skyrim? I havent seen any yet.

I finished a small quest inside a cave yesterday and, right after I walked out, this dragon starts circling around me and then flies off somewhere nearby, swooping close to the ground. I didnt know what he was after so I chased him.
Suddenly, he stops and hovers to blast fire at something. I get close enough to see and it turns out that there was this NPC out there in the middle of nowhere trying to solo this dragon.

The dragon circles again and blasts the NPC one more time and I see him fall to the ground on one knee and start limping. I pulled out my bow and fired, music started blaring, and the dragon was now after me.
After a few bouts on the ground, NPC dude recovers and we take down the dragon together. It just felt so amazing.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
TBH, I kind of feel like murdering both groups but she's a Redguard like me sooooo, I dunno.

I let both options play out to decide from there but I didnt know who to trust in the end. I saved her because the other dudes were being protected by bandits. I dont like bandits and didnt appreciate having to hack my way through that cave just to speak to their leader.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Salaadin said:
There are werewolves that roam Skyrim? I havent seen any yet.

Big, creepy, hulking, black haired humanoid. Standing over a formerly alive Elk. Me am getting out.

JoeBoy101

Does ANYONE have an idea how you start the Blood On The Ice quest in Windhelm? I've been trying to buy the house there, but that side quest is necessary to do, otherwise the stewart just keeps saying the house is not available because of a 'mess'.

I know I'm supposed to stumble across a murder scene at night in the graveyard to start the quest and that it doesn't start until you have entered and exited Windhelm at least four times. I'm at about 30 times in and out, and still haven't gotten any murder scene.

Meier

gdt5016 said:
I really, really, REALLY wish Bethesda would just straight copy/paste the Demon/Dark Souls combat in this. It's just so meh. I can't even tell if my sword connects half the time, always need the blood spray to be sure.

The Souls combat would fit so perfectly here, it's sort of similar in the first place.

Edit: Could someone theoretically mod that into the game?
Snooze. Dark Souls wishes it did anything better than Skyrim. The Elder Scrolls is a first person series, if you choose to play in 3rd person, you deal with the consequences.

Leunam said:
Welp, I won't be going back to Markarth anytime soon. Without going into too much detail, let's just say I am indirectly responsible for the deaths of nearly every person there. Shame, I actually really liked the place.
You can have a good outcome from that:
Kill Madanach while in the prison.

ShinNL

Help!

I've restarted the game 3 times already and am about to restart again. I just can't decide on what build I want. I think magic is awesome, but I hate the fact that I have to flee like a coward if things get hairy. I really want some sort of magic though and not just a sword and shield.

I've tried destruction magic on 1 hand, dagger in the other hand.
Tried magic + (backstab) sneaking.
Also tried dual casting, no weapons.

All felt a bit weakish.

So for my next try I'm thinking about going heavy armor for the first time with dual wielding swords + dual destruction magic (so basically trying to aim for high DPS, magic for range). Anyone got a better idea? I mostly want some sort of balanced type that's still strong and not too boring.

Leunam

Dave Inc. said:
You can have a good outcome from that:
Kill Madanach while in the prison.

I thought about that, but in retrospect, I'm kind of satisfied with the result. :D

I'm sure I'll go back eventually and serve my sentence/escape from prison.

LCfiner

zephervack said:
So talking about Vampirism.

I remember in Oblivion you have the choice but somehow im now a Vampire in Skyrim without anyone asking me!!!

I was fine with it, but now, i cant even enter towns, everyone just attacks me, game is rendered unplayable without being able to buy/sell, talk to people about quests etc.

Is there any way to fix it or somehow remain a vampire without everyone hating me?

Thanks

you can feed off someone at night in their house to look more human. that will allow you to walk around during the daytime without getting assaulted.

there is a cure for vampirism. it's a multistep process and you need "soul trap". learn that from the Jarl's court wizard.

the rest is up at the skyrim wiki. google will give you the answer.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
So for those who did the Companion side stuff...

How when do you activate your werewolf capabilities? How long do they last? What are they good for? Can you level up when doing stuff as a werewolf? Can I fairly use werewolf in a fist fight? Shit like that, it wasn't explained well in the game.

Lonestar

earlier yesterday, I decided to take on this dragon quest that was at something called Bonestrewn Crest. I show up, and Boom... 2 dragons. Fuuuunnnn....

3 or 4 tries later, I finally got those bastards.

Need to pick up another companion...but I worry that they too might end up with the same fate as Lydia.

Did find Mercucio that people have talked about.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
SpeedingUptoStop said:

How when do you activate your werewolf capabilities? How long do they last? What are they good for? Can you level up when doing stuff as a werewolf? Can I fairly use werewolf in a fist fight? Shit like that, it wasn't explained well in the game.
Finding out you have skyrim, makes me wish there were cross platform multiplayer capabilities.
And also has convinced me to play again today. And I was hoping I'd get my life back :(

Salaadin

Lonestar said:
Big, creepy, hulking, black haired humanoid. Standing over a formerly alive Elk. Me am getting out.

That was my mom! You bastard!

SpeedingUptoStop said:

I activate them for a variety of reasons. For fun, if something is too tough, or even for travelling since a sprinting werewolf is sooo fast and stamina regen is great. It only lasts a few minutes unless you feed on the enemies after you kill them. Feeding is done by standing over a body and hitting the prompt (I think its A on 360)

I dont think you level at all in wolf form since they dont use any real skills. Id I had to guess, maybe Hand to hand levels? I havent seen any skill ups on it yet, though.

I dont know about fistfights but I personally wouldnt do it because villagers dont like werewolves and will probably attack.

One thing to note is that enemies who use Silver weapons will destroy you in wolf form.

Lonestar

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Vague memory from reading the guide
Werewolf mode can be activated like a spell/power, you become uber strong, and gain seconds to your beast mode timer when you feed. I believe you "might" be able to level up. The downside is, you can't loot items off of bodies. I'm sure there's another downside, but I can't remember it.

Crazetex

scy said:
Well, they're useful for grinding Enchanting.

Petty soul gems are good for recharging weapons, especially with the early Enchanting perk for +rechargment* from soul gems.

*Rechargment is the term for the mysticality of using soul powenergy to rechargerize your weapons

JoeBoy101

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Oh its good.

When you change, its once a day, for (I think) 60 seconds. This can be extended though. I think you get a hit point boost. No weapons, obviously, but you hit like a truck with your claws. You can't go into first person mood and no magic. In fact, many in game menus are disabled. You don't regen health, but can feed off corpses which regains health and extends your period of lycanthropy. Anyone seeing you change will become hostile, but actions taken while changed do not count against you.

There is no fist fights with werewolves. Its all claws. Also, there is a roar ability tied to the shout button that has some kind of effect. During the Companion missions you will learn a cure, but the cure will not come easily. In fact, when you finally go to cure yourself, you'll be in for a tough fight.

JoeBoy101 said:
Does ANYONE have an idea how you start the Blood On The Ice quest in Windhelm? I've been trying to buy the house there, but that side quest is necessary to do, otherwise the stewart just keeps saying the house is not available because of a 'mess'.

I know I'm supposed to stumble across a murder scene at night in the graveyard to start the quest and that it doesn't start until you have entered and exited Windhelm at least four times. I'm at about 30 times in and out, and still haven't gotten any murder scene.

I bought the house and Blood on the Ice isnt complete yet.

scy

Lonestar said:
Werewolf mode can be activated like a spell/power, you become uber strong, and gain seconds to your beast mode timer when you feed. I believe you "might" be able to level up. The downside is, you can't loot items off of bodies. I'm sure there's another downside, but I can't remember it.

Guards commenting on your stench.

...or maybe that only bothers me...

SpeedingUptoStop

Veidt said:
Finding out you have skyrim, makes me wish there were cross platform multiplayer capabilities.
And also has convinced me to play again today. And I was hoping I'd get my life back :(
Me too, broham. After school and a nap today, it's Skyrim grinding all night. I wanna co-op with you. Bosses fighting dragons, breathing fire, ruling the land. A shared Kingdom.

Lonestar said:
Hm hm hmmm...

Would you say it would be a good idea to
go werewolf
against a dragon?

Amneisac

This has probably been asked before, but I didn't see it:

Does the quality of the item you smith/enchant/cook affect how much skill you receive? I'm smithing 50+ and I keep getting points every few iron daggers / hide bracers I make.

JoeBoy101

JumpingTheGun said:
I bought the house and Blood on the Ice isnt complete yet.

Do you have the quest? For some reason, even though the Jarl says I can buy property, the stewart keeps giving me the same excuse with not being able to buy the house.

Amnesiac said:
Does the quality of the item you smith/enchant/cook affect how much skill you receive? I'm smithing 50+ and I keep getting points every few iron daggers / hide bracers I make.

Not entirely sure, BUT, I do know that the more perks you put into smithing, the bigger the upgrades are unlocked. So, even a basic iron dagger has levels of upgrade that can be put on it. For example, I was at Exquisite and have gone to Flawless now.

JoeBoy101 said:
Oh its good.

When you change, its once a day, for (I think) 60 seconds. This can be extended though. I think you get a hit point boost. No weapons, obviously, but you hit like a truck with your claws. You can't go into first person mood and no magic. In fact, many in game menus are disabled. You don't regen health, but can feed off corpses which regains health and extends your period of lycanthropy. Anyone seeing you change will become hostile, but actions taken while changed do not count against you.

There is no fist fights with werewolves. Its all claws. Also, there is a roar ability tied to the shout button that has some kind of effect. During the Companion missions you will learn a cure, but the cure will not come easily. In fact, when you finally go to cure yourself, you'll be in for a tough fight.

The roar fears enemies.

JoeBoy101 said:
Do you have the quest? For some reason, even though the Jarl says I can buy property, the stewart keeps giving me the same excuse with not being able to buy the house.

Yup, Ive had it for awhile actually and started it, but didnt complete it. Got distracted ;b

H3xum

Ever the ambitious traveler I find myself coming across a lot of mages that just wreck my shop (1h nord). I have a high heavy armor score (upper 60s) and have an armor rating overall in the low 200s (level 25ish).

Anyway, I'm working on my enchanting and was wondering what's the best thing to put on heavy armor to counter the aforementioned mage destruction. Best bet to go just reduction % of elemental damage? Should I not worry until later in the game as I'll likely find armor to deconstruct that will provide better magic protection?

Sh1ner

Are frost trolls invunerable? It took me like 20 stealth arrow attacks to knock one down and the damn thing sounds like its asleep. Will it get back up? I need to know as theres a dungeon full of these bastards and I want to clear it. If they wake up no chance in hell I am going there until I can knock em down with 3 shots.

Thieving Guild related:
Also I need more fences. The first fence does not recharge her money fast enough. I am carrying around 4k worth of stolen stuff. I have done a number of missions for the guild yet no second fence. What gives?

JoeBoy101 said:

As far as I can tell this quest is bugged all over the place. I'm stuck at the end as I can't do anything with the murderer. Other people can't get the quest to start. Some can't get the investigating to work.

JoeBoy101

JumpingTheGun said:
Yup, Ive had it for awhile actually and started it, but didnt complete it. Got distracted ;b

See, I know I haven't missed it because the woman who is dead at the murder scene (
Susannah?
) is still alive.

MrBeanTroll said:
As far as I can tell this quest is bugged all over the place. I'm stuck at the end as I can't do anything with the murderer. Other people can't get the quest to start. Some can't get the investigating to work.

Uh-oh. Was worried about that. I don't want to start back to when I saved before I started on the Civil War stuff but it might come to that.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I saw three random elven Justiciars walking around and since the Stormcloaks don't seem fond of elves, I thought it might be a good idea to kill them all, my decision being aided in part by the arrogant attitude of the one with whom I tried to speak. They didn't seem to have anything to say about any quests, so are they probably just randomly spawned? I did get a small bounty when I killed the first one, but it was wiped clean as soon as I killed the other two. I just don't want to ruin any quests by killing them.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Me too, broham. After school and a nap today, it's Skyrim grinding all night. I wanna co-op with you. Bosses fighting dragons, breathing fire, ruling the land. A shared Kingdom.

Hm hm hmmm...

Would you say it would be a good idea to
go werewolf
against a dragon?

Keep in mind
you're a sitting duck during the transformation, you still take damage while it happens. But if you're careful I don't see why not. I'm still a werewolf but I always forget to use the power lol

Lonestar

Sh1ner said:
Are frost trolls invunerable? It took me like 20 stealth arrow attacks to knock one down and the damn thing sounds like its asleep. Will it get back up? I need to know as theres a dungeon full of these bastards and I want to clear it. If they wake up no chance in hell I am going there until I can knock em down with 3 shots.

Thieving Guild related:
Also I need more fences. The first fence does not recharge her money fast enough. I am carrying around 4k worth of stolen stuff. I have done a number of missions for the guild yet no second fence. What gives?

Hate those guys.

I ran past the one on the tall mountain, but I've since taken out 2 of them. My strategy is either "get them hung up on a ground glitch" or "run away, turn around, blast him a few times, then run by them, turn around, blast him a few times, repeat until dead"

JoeBoy101 said:
See, I know I haven't missed it because the woman who is dead at the murder scene (
Susannah?
) is still alive.

Did you already help the Jarl out with his initial quest in Whiterun? Thats how I was able to get permission to buy the house. The realtor guy was sitting outside at that fancy diningroom table eating breakfast.

edit: it was actually the Main Questline 2nd quest after "Unbound". "Bleak Falls Barrow I think? After I completed that I was able to purchase the house.

SpeedingUptoStop

Mechanized said:
Keep in mind
you're a sitting duck during the transformation, you still take damage while it happens. But if you're careful I don't see why not. I'm still a werewolf but I always forget to use the power lol
Yea, like, it's totally cool that
I'm a werewolf and all
, but I'm never really overwhlemed in a scenario so much that I gotta use it instead of my greatsword.

Maybe taking down giants and mammoths would be easier with it.

Sh1ner

Lonestar said:
Hate those guys.

I ran past the one on the tall mountain, but I've since taken out 2 of them. My strategy is either "get them hung up on a ground glitch" or "run away, turn around, blast him a few times, then run by them, turn around, blast him a few times, repeat until dead"

Just read they are weak to fire. No more info available. I do have a paralyse bow now. So I might so if that will be any good against them. If they are resistant to that then a straight up run away! Unless I can sneak up and dagger them, 15X damage. That might work.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TheExodu5 said:
I was striking a ton of people yesterday and no charges were getting taken off my dagger. Gonna have to retest it tonight.

Really? I assumed they worked the same, but I know that the enemy has a slight purple hue every time I use my Soul Trap Bow on them, and my charges were going down. It would be pretty crappy if bows were bugged like that.

Sh1ner said:

Thieving Guild related:

1) All trolls are vulnerable to fire. There's a book in one of the dungeons that tells you how to deal with them. I thought that was kinda neat.
2) They're unlocked by doing more main quests for the Guild.
I have at least 3 now I think, but the easiest thing to do is like wait 48 hours and they have their money back. Also in the speechcraft perks there are ones that increase vendor gold, you could try that.

Salaadin

The most fun about *early companion quest spoilers*
being a werewolf is
when you come across a fort and the enemies inside draw their weapons and say "Thats far enough!" and "Dont come any closer!".
Transform, maul them to death.

Dont tell me what to do!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So do any of you with companions play as stealth? I refrained from hiring anyone because I know I'd be sneaking into an area and they'd run in and fight.

Maybe I'll hire one if I play a mage next time.

H3xum

Salaadin said:
The most fun about
being a werewolf
is when you come across a fort and the enemies inside draw their weapons and say "Thats far enough!" and "Dont come any closer!".
Transform, maul them to death.

Dont tell me what to do!

Dude. There

Kajiba said:
Thanks. Is there a church In whiterun?

Yep, right outside of the big tree. It's in the same wing as the Companion's Hall and the stairs up to the castle. I think the NPCs call it the Cloud District

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
the randomness of this game is pretty great.

i took on a sidequest in Whiterun to retrieve the sap of some tree, and in the process someone overhearing the conversation requested to join on the trip since he's long wished to visit that location. i agreed, but whenever i tried to talk to him afterwards he gave a curt, dickish response.

i fast traveled to a location close to the tree and, as i ran ahead a giant appeared and started attacking. i was hit a couple of times and ran back to heal myself, leaving my companion to fend off the giant with his bow and arrows. the straggler ran in to join the fight as well with two fists raised.

forward a few seconds later i healed and came back to finish off the giant, only to find that the straggler was nowhere to be found. my companion was still there, but i couldn't even find anything other than the giant's body. it took a few seconds to realize that the giant launched the poor guy into the air as i ran off and healed.

not a single fuck was given by me.

garath

Halycon said:
Petty gems are worthless for just about 99% of enchantments.

They're great for levelling up though. 1-40 you can pretty much get a skill point per enchantment just using petty gems.

They're also great for making some quick money. I hit a few dungeons and filled up ~25 petty and lesser soul gems. I also collected a ton of cheap steel weapons. I enchanted all of those with absorb health using the petty and lesser soul gems and sold them for a tidy profit.

Steel daggers were by far the winner. They went from value 50 to value ~700. I'm not sure if that's a bug because it's very disproportionate to every other enchant but it sure helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom