• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're doing 2h weapon specialization, I'd recommend getting the perk that gives a chance at beheading. It's the most satisfying thing ever.

zlatko

Banned
evilgreg said:
Soul Gems.

How are you guys obtaining empty soul gems to fill up? The only ones I've come across were being sold by the local mage and they were pretty expensive.

I steal a shit load from houses and come across them a lot in dungeons.

evilgreg said:
Soul Gems.

How are you guys obtaining empty soul gems to fill up? The only ones I've come across were being sold by the local mage and they were pretty expensive.

Any type of enemy mage in the world will sometimes drop them, they're plentiful on shelves/desks of any dungeon that has mage enemies in it as well.
I would say don't worry about restoring charges in magic weapons early in the game. Eventually you'll have tons of soul gems, or at least the money to buy as many filled ones as you want.

Crazetex

Sh1ner said:
Dungeons, castle keeps held by necromancers, thieving :)

Yup. Necromancer dens are loaded with them. I suggest a really cool dungeon called Illida's Deep (iirc), found
west and slightly south of Riverwood, in the lake at the foot of the mountain cluster Bleak Falls Barrow is on.
It's fairly low-level, has lots of soul gems and is a
sinking fortress

Possibly my favorite dungeon so far, aesthetics-wise, although nothing beats the crazy traps of Nordic ruins.

ced

evilgreg said:
Soul Gems.

Dwemer robots seem to have a lot. I just found my first Dwemer dungeon last night.

SPEA

pedrothelion said:
I've always done a battle-mage build with my first character in Elder Scrolls games. I use heavy Armour and a one handed weapon like an Axe or sword. Then I use conjuration and destruction skills heavily. Its a fun play style. Lots up close melee combat combined with aid from summoned creatures and destruction magic. Plus you can do join both the fighters guilds and the mages guilds.
That's exactly how I'm playing. Really fun.

my mage has been kicking some serious ass up until I hit level 10.

now I run out of Mana trying to kill the tougher enemies, and if there are 3 or 4 I have to resort to using a 1h sword.

what am I doing wrong?

ShogunX

Probably get brushed over but -

What difficulty does everyone play this game on? Just upped the difficulty from Adept to Expert after about 24 hours of play (still pretty early on - I like exploring everywhere).

Much prefer feeling threatened by enemies rather than just hacking and slashing my way through everything. On Expert difficulty encounter with the saber tigers are a hell of a lot more tense and often require some retreating to patch up your wounds.

ShogunX

Dresden said:
Master difficulty
but I tone it down to Expert sometimes

Damn really? That must make some of the encounters pretty tough.

What prompted the difficulty change was the ease of defeating a random Dragon I fought in the wild. Wasn't happy about just hacking it in the side until it was dead :(

Seeing a Dragon should be a ''Oh shit I'm in trouble'' moment.

AEREC

Shogun PaiN said:

What difficulty does everyone play this game on? Just upped the difficulty from Adept to Expert after about 24 hours of play (still pretty early on - I like exploring everywhere).

Much prefer feeling threatened by enemies rather than just hacking and slashing my way through everything. On Expert difficulty encounter with the saber tigers are a hell of a lot more tense and often require some retreating to patch up your wounds.

Im still plugging away on Adept..even though I usually prefer a good challenge in my games.

Ill bump up the difficulty once I complete the main storyline and just tell myself that my character is getting older and doesn't hit as hard as he used too =p

Esch

Banned
I gotta say, the stealth in the Thieves guild missions was way more emphasized than the Dark Brotherhood ones.

Also they've gotta find a way to incorporate magic better into stealth builds in the future. Why can't i snipe people with spells from the darkness instead of using arrows?

Dresden

Shogun PaiN said:
What prompted the difficulty change was the ease of defeating a random Dragon I fought in the wild. Wasn't happy about just hacking it in the side until it was dead :(

Seeing a Dragon should be a ''Oh shit I'm in trouble'' moment.
Yeah, dragons are actually tough now (instead of the flying rats that they usually are in Adept), which is cool. The other side is that some more mundane enemies become demi-gods, though.

Sh1ner

belvedere said:
The
execution in Solitude

Is it possible to prevent it?

I tried to talk to them about it but they didnt want to listen, I then walked up onto the stage to talk to the guy being
executed
, instead everyone pulled out their swords pretty much killed me with a few seconds.

After that I didnt even bother as I dont want to piss off the entire city.

webrunner

The balance between dragon and non-dragon enemies is kind of wonky.

I wonder if the reasoning is that you're naturally strong agianst dragons being the Dragonborn?

belvedere said:
The
execution in Solitude

Various reviews have alluded to the fact that it might be preventable, but I've found no way to do it. I guess you could cheat and use the console to kill all the guards and see what happens, but I reckon it wouldn't do anything.

Numpt3

So I was just taking a stroll in the woods when I happened upon a quaint little cottage with an old lady busy sweeping up at her front door. Being the kind, courteous and upstanding citizen of Skyrim that I am I decided that a swift arrow to the head would put the old crone out of her misery and I would be free to raid her vegetable patch and kitchen cupboards.

Two minutes later and my barbecued corpse lay lifeless at her door, lesson learned: don't mess with old lady's in Skyrim.

Jadedx

Banned
This game is too damn addictive, seriously. Since I got this game I left a party early, cancelled on friends, and I did not study at all for my Spanish test.

H3xum

webrunner said:

I wonder if the reasoning is that you're naturally strong agianst dragons being the Dragonborn?

Agreed. Trolls and the likes take it to me way harder than dragons. I kind of wish they would stand out more. Where it's at now I feel my controller rumble and look up directly in the sky and run towards the dragon, I should feel my controller rumble and then crap my pants during a retreat.

Esch

Banned
webrunner said:

yeah, but it makes little sense that the key enemies of the game are pushovers.

And that illiterate hide armor wearing bandit chiefs are harder to kill than some of the most powerful creatures in TES lore.

Hey does the Sneak stat of your followers affect you in any way, like say if I have a really high sneak stat and my follower is sneaking with me is there a chance that the enemy might hear them and blow my cover?
Also, can you sneak past the zombie/mummy guys while they're in the wall or are they set on triggers?

These are questions from my roomate.

xxczx

I've got 10,000 gold to waste on a new home.
I've got one in Whiterun with all the upgrades, the house in Solitude is 25,000 gold and I have no idea about the other cities.

I was thinking of Riften but I'm not taking my chances; I don't want my home robbed!

FStop7

Banned
belvedere said:
The
execution in Solitude

I tried at least 50 times. I would create a disruption but most of the time the headsman or the captain would take out the prisoner with their swords as he tried to run away. One time I think I finally helped him get away (I didn't see exactly what happened as I was trying to stay alive, but I'm pretty sure he got clear of all the guards) and I also managed to escape, but afterward I was treated as kill on sight by the guards in the city. As soon as I set foot back in there everyone would attack me - so I reverted to an old save and just gave up.

HTuran

SilentProtagonist said:
Hey does the Sneak stat of your followers affect you in any way, like say if I have a really high sneak stat and my follower is sneaking with me is there a chance that the enemy might hear them and blow my cover?
Also, can you sneak past the zombie/mummy guys while they're in the wall or are they set on triggers?

Don't bother with stealth and NPCs. It'll cause headaches.

You can sneak attack the zombie guys before they wake up, so you don't have to deal with them.

prowler_ said:
I've got 10,000 gold to waste on a new home.
I've got one in Whiterun with all the upgrades, the house in Solitude is 25,000 gold and I have no idea about the other cities.

I was thinking of Riften but I'm not taking my chances; I don't want my home robbed!
I don't think your homes can get robbed. Riften and The Reach houses are both only 8k.

scy

Shogun PaiN said:

Started on Master. Haven't lowered it yet on either of my characters (Stealth Archer, DW Mage). Kind of want something above Master to be honest; closest I've gotten to making things rougher is my Mage is level ~23-ish with about 15 of those levels being purely from non-combat skills. Things take longer to kill but still basically the same way for everything to pan out.

I will note one oddity, though. My Stealth Archer at 300-ish Health is mauled to death by Bears. My 130 Health Mage can tank one for 3-4 hits. What the hell? Bears must scale a ton between the mid-20s and the mid-30s.

Cutwolf said:
The lack of Mage gear is frustrating.

Kinda worries me about making a mage, all the mage gear I see looks like the default robes just different colors. However I'm sure you must get some cool gear when you do the Mage College/Guild/Whatever.

Dresden

from the bethsoft forum:

Spent some time in the College of Magic experimenting with magic (appropriate, right?) on Lydia with flames/fire bolt/fire rune and console commands.

-In most cases, dual-casting deals roughly 10% more damage than single-casting twice. It definitely deals more damage than single-casting twice, but it's hard to be exact with the percentage, since you can't hurt yourself with your own spells (including Fire Rune, which won't go off if you or your companions walk over it, and even won't damage you (but will damage your companions) if you set it off with something like Flames).
This is comparable to the Conjuration dual-casting bonus, though, where dual-cast Conjuration spells last exactly 10% more than twice the single-cast duration, as determined by the effect's description on the Active Effects page.

-In all cases examined, dual-casting costs exactly 40% (well, with some rounding to whole numbers) more mana than single-casting twice.

-As your Destruction skill goes up, Destruction spell costs go down. For example, increasing Destruction from 21 to 100 lowered spell costs to 65%-70% of their original value. This is true for spells both covered and not covered by your mana cost-reducing perks, e.g. Novice Destruction.

-Magicka regeneration stops while "holding" a pre-cast spell (obvious) and while channeling spells like Flames (maybe not so obvious)

-Flame Cloak is a bugged exception: it still has 280% of the single-cast mana cost, but according to the Active Effects page gains nothing (i.e. neither damage nor duration) from being dual-cast.

Derrick01

Banned
SilentProtagonist said:

Yes they do have their own sneak skill. I took Lydia with me yesterday and she crouched with me but she was attracting everyone in the fort and constantly blowing my cover because of her poor sneak.

The Draugrs seem to only react as you get extremely close to them. I've put arrows into them before they woke up and got credit for kills, but I'm assuming with a high sneak you could stroll past them.

Derrick01 said:
Yes they do have their own sneak skill. I took Lydia with me yesterday and she crouched with me but she was attracting everyone in the fort and constantly blowing my cover because of her poor sneak.

The Draugrs seem to only react as you get extremely close to them. I've put arrows into them before they woke up and got credit for kills, but I'm assuming with a high sneak you could stroll past them.
Ah, I see, cool thanks :)

AEREC

Mechanized said:
How many saves do you guys have? I'm up around 300 at 30 hours played.

1 quicksave

I like to be stuck with the choices I make. I mean are you really going to go back load up a previous save from hours earlier in the game?

Dresden

AEREC said:
1 quicksave

I like to be stuck with the choices I make. I mean are you really going to go back load up a previous save from hours earlier in the game?
It's not about sticking with choices, it's about not getting boned by Bethesda.

pix

Regarding filling up soul gems. In order to fill one up you have to have a spell called "Soul Trap" which is sold by an NPC in Dragonreach. Use that on an enemy and kill it within 60 seconds.

Cutwolf

Mechanized said:
Kinda worries me about making a mage, all the mage gear I see looks like the default robes just different colors. However I'm sure you must get some cool gear when you do the Mage College/Guild/Whatever.

Best item I have is from that quest, but I've been using it for like 20 levels.

Meier said:
Wow. I have 3 manual saves and I think it does a few Autosaves, right? Probably around 20 hours.

Haha. I wish I had that self control. At one point early in the game I lost like 20 minutes of progress, I thought to myself, never again. Also it doesn't help that I'm playing a Rogue/Archer, if I get detected and can't snipe a few enemies I'm in for a world of hurt and probably death. Leads to me saving after every few packs of enemies. I could condense it down to just 3 save slots I regularly update I guess, but it's just easier to hit new save. lol

belvedere

Junior Butler
FStop7 said:
I tried at least 50 times. I would create a disruption but most of the time the headsman or the captain would take out the prisoner with their swords as he tried to run away. One time I think I finally helped him get away (I didn't see exactly what happened as I was trying to stay alive, but I'm pretty sure he got clear of all the guards) and I also managed to escape, but afterward I was treated as kill on sight by the guards in the city. As soon as I set foot back in there everyone would attack me - so I reverted to an old save and just gave up.

Ok that's nearly exactly what happened to me.
I tried at least a dozen times, most times the guy would get chased down and killed. Once or twice he ran out of sight, but I wasn't sure what ultimately happened to him and if he made it out alive or not. I swore that on one of the occasions where he got away, I saw a quest update message.

So is there a quest associated with that event or was I just imagining things amidst all the chaos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom