• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh1ner

Mechanized said:
1) All trolls are vulnerable to fire. There's a book in one of the dungeons that tells you how to deal with them. I thought that was kinda neat.
2) They're unlocked by doing more main quests for the Guild.
I have at least 3 now I think, but the easiest thing to do is like wait 48 hours and they have their money back. Also in the speechcraft perks there are ones that increase vendor gold, you could try that.

Thanks for the info, when you knock them down though do they stay dead? Cause it sounds like its bloody asleep!

moop1167

Anyone running at an FOV of 80-90ish and using archery? My guy's left arm is basically clipping a bit on the left side of the screen. It's less pronounced with no armor on, but with leather armor it sticks into the screen a bit. Kind of annoying.

JoeBoy101

JumpingTheGun said:
Did you already help the Jarl out with his initial quest in Whiterun? Thats how I was able to get permission to buy the house. The realtor guy was sitting outside at that fancy diningroom table eating breakfast.

edit: it was actually the Main Questline 2nd quest after "Unbound". "Bleak Falls Barrow I think? After I completed that I was able to purchase the house.

Yeah, I'm about 5 or 6 quests into the Main and already helped Ulfric [/spoiler]conquer Whiterun and Falkreath[?] [/spoiler]. I got the house in Whiterun and Ulfric even told me I could buy a house and I have the quest for buying a house in Windhelm. But everytime I talk to the realtor guy, he always says its unavailable because of a mess. I saw in my guide that its tied to the Blood On The Ice quest, but I can't get that one to start.

SpeedingUpToStop said:
I've totally forgotten the point of soul gems and all that. How does this work again?

Enchanters gotta soul gem.

scy

webrunner said:
I wonder if we'll ever figure out how the follower-death system works.

I tried for a good hour and a half to get Drelas (Fire Mage w/ Flame Cloak, Fireball) to kill my companion. No matter what happened, she wouldn't die. Fireballs to the face, Flame Cloak persistent damage, etc. Only damage I directly caused (wide swing, shout, misfiring a spell, etc.) would kill her.

I've tried the same thing with Giants, Mammoths, and Dragons who hit wide (or breathe goddamn Fire). The only time I got her to be killed off was when the Giant landed a hit on her that sent her sky high. And I'm not even sure if that actually killed her, I just never saw her again for the next 5 minutes so I reloaded instead of trying to kill the Giant. She tanked Dragon breaths to the face while kneeling without breaking a sweat.

garath said:
Steel daggers were by far the winner. They went from value 50 to value ~700. I'm not sure if that's a bug because it's very disproportionate to every other enchant but it sure helped.

I thought it's:
BaseValue + EnchantValue = ModifiedValue

There shouldn't be any real difference between, say, an Iron Dagger and a Steel Dagger besides the difference in their original values.

HTuran

Fearing that Bethesda fatigue is setting in. Happens when the game systems become too obvious and you realise that half the skills are purely for generating money. Still, firmly in its grip!

Almost done with the Thieves' Guild after finishing the main questline then being duped into a bunch of menial tasks. Strange that they lock some of the best Guild missions behind 'perform 20 tasks where you have to travel back and forth between cities'. In any case, those Summerset Shadows got torn apart. Playing as a dagger/archer thief is incredibly satisfying.

Finally found a glass bow, probably going to ditch the
Nightingale
bow as I got it at such a low level that it's now untenable. Yay for scaling weapons!

Couple of questions remain:
1) Soul gems, how do they work? Use them to recharge enchantments, but it destroys the gem? You can fill empty gems using Soul Trap (?) or a spell? What's all this petty, common, grand, etc? Just the amount of enchantment recharged?

2) Companions Guild, are the NPCs that you go out on quests with supposed to go down in four hits? I fear that the enemies have scaled and the NPCs havent.

Any of the quests with an NPC are hellish for a stealth-based character. Gonna finish the Thieves' Guild and start the DB stuff tonight!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I've totally forgotten the point of soul gems and all that. How does this work again?

You Sell them!

I have no idea how they work. But if they already have a soul in them, I know I can use them to charge up special weapons.

But the act of putting souls into gems, no clue.

I have done just about Zero, in the areas of smithing, alchemy, Magikity making table thingy, and cooking.

I have done killing, so there's that.

scy

Lonestar said:
You Sell them!

I have no idea how they work. But if they already have a soul in them, I know I can use them to charge up special weapons.

I have done just about Zero, in the areas of smithing, alchemy, Magikity making table thingy, and cooking.

Cast Soul Trap on an enemy and then kill it; it'll go into the smallest Soul Gem that will contain it. From there, you recharge Enchanted weapons or use an Enchanting Table to apply an Enchantment of your own to an equippable item.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Lonestar said:
You Sell them!

I've been smithing up because I want dat Dragon armor and alchemy for the fuck of it (although I've rarely ran into a scenario where I even use the damn potions), but this soul gem enchantment stuff has never come up to me and I have a bunch of these things in my inventory. I guess I should sell them.

gate777

Killed my first dragon last night (non story-line). Epic battle and I lost all my arrows but I prevailed in the end. Fucker was preventing me from exploring the entire west side past Winterun.

Take that!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I've been smithing up because I want dat Dragon armor and alchemy for the fuck of it (although I've rarely ran into a scenario where I even use the damn potions), but this soul gem enchantment stuff has never come up to me and I have a bunch of these things in my inventory. I guess I should sell them.

Yeah, I've got 80-100 lbs of potions on me. I pretty much only use health when I need it in a fight. Need to actually use some. Or learn which ingredients make health potions. I always seem to only have 10 on me, and I've never bothered to see if any venders sell them.

Though, after learning Fast Healing, haven't needed health potions as much.

Icefire1424

I give up.

Anyone know how to "grab" (pick up) an item on the PC version? (Not with "E", but just to pick up the item in the world and move it around). This is driving me nuts...

I dropped a bowl on the floor of my house and I can't pick it up...lol.

Soneet said:
Help!

I've restarted the game 3 times already and am about to restart again. I just can't decide on what build I want. I think magic is awesome, but I hate the fact that I have to flee like a coward if things get hairy. I really want some sort of magic though and not just a sword and shield.

I've tried destruction magic on 1 hand, dagger in the other hand.
Tried magic + (backstab) sneaking.
Also tried dual casting, no weapons.

All felt a bit weakish.

So for my next try I'm thinking about going heavy armor for the first time with dual wielding swords + dual destruction magic (so basically trying to aim for high DPS, magic for range). Anyone got a better idea? I mostly want some sort of balanced type that's still strong and not too boring.
I've always done a battle-mage build with my first character in Elder Scrolls games. I use heavy Armour and a one handed weapon like an Axe or sword. Then I use conjuration and destruction skills heavily. Its a fun play style. Lots up close melee combat combined with aid from summoned creatures and destruction magic. Plus you can do join both the fighters guilds and the mages guilds.

scy

Icefire1424 said:
I give up.

Anyone know how to "grab" (pick up) an item on the PC version? (Not with "E", but just to pick up the item in the world and move it around). This is driving me nuts...

I dropped a bowl on the florr of my house and I can't pick it up...lol.

Hold "E." Unless you mean besides that, in which case ... uh ... Hold "E" harder?

Guesong

Dragons really are stupidly easy compared to Draugr Deathlord or other enemies.

I've got 70 % Magic Resistance when blocking (Shield Perk + Shield Enchant), you can't possibly hurt me dragon! >_>

Alastor

I considered abusing the skill system, but nah, it wouldn't be fun. I want a normal character, not overpowered cheater. Duh, I already feel like I'm cheating when I drink a bunch of potions between the blows of some orc warrior that would normally two-shot me.

H3xum

Guesong said:

I've got 70 % Magic Resistance when blocking (Shield Perk + Shield Enchant), you can't possibly hurt me dragon! >_>

Is there a general Magic Resistance spell or just like Fire? If general, do you recall what/where you got an item that I could disenchant.

I'm in desperate need of that for my 1h Nord

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Icefire1424 said:
I give up.

I dropped a bowl on the floor of my house and I can't pick it up...lol.

Use "E", but hold it instead of press it.

Deadly Cyclone said:
So do any of you with companions play as stealth? I refrained from hiring anyone because I know I'd be sneaking into an area and they'd run in and fight.

Maybe I'll hire one if I play a mage next time.

Lydia has never broken stealth and only charges if a) I've been detected and b) if the enemy is within her melee range. Otherwise she keeps her bow out.

Meier

Guesong said:
Draugr Deathlords are BEASTS! I killed one at lvl 20 after starting the mage quests. Holy cow.. even in a mix of Dwarven and Wolf heavy armor (60% increase to armor perk and then the other perk for bonus if all heavy armor equipped), he still was doing major damage to me. Took at least 4-5 minutes.. lots of unyielding force (sp?) shouts and hits then running away, healing, etc. Really need to raise my blocking more.. mostly been running sword/magic.

I died to a dragon while in werewolf form.. quite quickly. Otherwise, they have not been too bad. Think I've killed 4 outside of the 2 from the storyline thus far.

Deadly Cyclone said:
So do any of you with companions play as stealth? I refrained from hiring anyone because I know I'd be sneaking into an area and they'd run in and fight.

Maybe I'll hire one if I play a mage next time.

It actually works well in some cases, if they end up going after enemies they pull aggro and you're still technically stealthed, so you can do all your crazy sneak damage while enemies are distracted.

Meier

BruceLeeRoy said:
I am finally picking this up today. 360 owners how big a deal is this texture pop in issue?
I think you can get by without installing it for now if you can tune out the disc drive noise. I am waiting until the bug is fixed personally. Load times are surprisingly decent even without an install.

Meier said:
I think you can get by without installing it for now if you can tune out the disc drive noise. I am waiting until the bug is fixed personally. Load times are surprisingly decent even without an install.

Great thanks for the info.

webrunner

I wish I could teach my companion some spells. Giving Lydia a heal spell would be pretty damn useful.

I know giving her a staff lets her use it, though.. is there a heal staff?

Fantasmo

A friend told me to get this. I'm so glad she did. I forgot how much I loved Oblivion. I'm sucked in again. <3 Bethesda and Elder Scrolls.

webrunner said:
I wish I could teach my companion some spells. Giving Lydia a heal spell would be pretty damn useful.

I know giving her a staff lets her use it, though.. is there a heal staff?

Pretty sure there is.

Hyunkel6

Wtf. There's a snowy sabertooth tiger camping on the steps to the greybeards. I can't get past it. I tried around 10 times. I barely damage it, and it's two-shot killing me. Help!

Nista

DarthWoo said:
So I saw three random elven Justiciars walking around and since the Stormcloaks don't seem fond of elves, I thought it might be a good idea to kill them all, my decision being aided in part by the arrogant attitude of the one with whom I tried to speak. They didn't seem to have anything to say about any quests, so are they probably just randomly spawned? I did get a small bounty when I killed the first one, but it was wiped clean as soon as I killed the other two. I just don't want to ruin any quests by killing them.

I've killed two sets of these bastards, and no issues so far even in Solitude. I enjoyed all the free elven armor.

I really wish my horse had a stay command, so he wouldn't try to help me slay frost trolls.

Hyunkel6 said:
Wtf. There's a snowy sabertooth tiger camping on the steps to the greybeards. I can't get past it. I tried around 10 times. I barely damage it, and it's two-shot killing me. Help!

Can you run past it? If not, how is your character set up, what kind of gear do you have?

GhaleonEB

I'm coming up on level 19 already, which feels a bit too fast. Anyone else worried they're going to top out their character in the 50ish range pretty quick, well before they're done playing?

BruceLeeRoy said:
I am finally picking this up today. 360 owners how big a deal is this texture pop in issue?
Its not just texture pop. When you you install the game many textures won't load at certain points. Just don't install the game until they patch this. Game looks nice uninstalled.

garath

Hyunkel6 said:

Ha, I had that same thing happen to me. Overlevelled. I was around level 12 when I finally made the trek to greybeards. That thing owned me over and over again. Finally I managed to sneak around it. Of course I'm a stealth character so that (should be) my strength. You might even be able to do it without much in sneaking. I worked my way around the furthest left point, under the ridge and along the edge of the mountain. It worked out.

You could also try firing an arrow while sneaking once you are a little past him to distract him.

This is all assuming he spawned in the same spot he did for me. Seems likely though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sassy mustachioed cat who shoots lightning > all other companions.

3iDHS.jpg

Guesong

H3xum said:
Is there a general Magic Resistance spell or just like Fire? If general, do you recall what/where you got an item that I could disenchant.

I'm in desperate need of that for my 1h Nord

If you are a shield user, finish the Companions Questline. I got my shield from the final chest ; it's a named loot so I don't think it's randomized.

ALaz502 said:
Its not just texture pop. When you you install the game many textures won't load at certain points. Just don't install the game until they patch this. Game looks nice uninstalled.

And runs fine. I have a S and if you told me it wasn't installed, I wouldn't believe you.

H3xum

Guesong said:
If you are a shield user, finish the Companions Questline. I got my shield from the final chest ; it's a named loot so I don't think it's randomized.

A million thanks. That'll be the first thing I do this evening.

Mages are cleaning my clock

ShinNL

Hyunkel6 said:
I went to the grey beards by horse... I skipped the steps, I went straight up :|

Sh1ner

Hyunkel6 said:

At level 26 using all a multiple combination attack to defeat a pair of sabertooths, barely survived.
Lightning rune directly infront of me, sneak attack paralyse bow, when they get in close, switch to frost blade doing my best to cricle sprint both of them whilst slashing, Normally I have enough magika to use the second hand to dispence a destruction spell. Whilst drinking potions.

One on One, I can take em out when it hits the lightning rune infront. But it requires setup and having them come to me.

Took 8 goes to get it right. My armour rating is currently 100, light (crappy) armour I think is what did me in.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Soul Gems.

How are you guys obtaining empty soul gems to fill up? The only ones I've come across were being sold by the local mage and they were pretty expensive.

evilgreg said:
Soul Gems.

How are you guys obtaining empty soul gems to fill up? The only ones I've come across were being sold by the local mage and they were pretty expensive.

steal em. find em. buy em. simple as that. just keep an eye out and never be afraid to steal.

Sh1ner

evilgreg said:
Soul Gems.

Dungeons, castle keeps held by necromancers, thieving :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom