• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GhaleonEB said:
I'm coming up on level 19 already, which feels a bit too fast. Anyone else worried they're going to top out their character in the 50ish range pretty quick, well before they're done playing?

Isn't the top 70? I assume it slows down as you get higher too.

pix said:
Regarding filling up soul gems. In order to fill one up you have to have a spell called "Soul Trap" which is sold by an NPC in Dragonreach. Use that on an enemy and kill it within 60 seconds.

You can also enchant a weapon with soul tap spell. Handy if you don't want to switch to spell casting. Have to switch weapon though, if needed.

Mechanized said:
Haha. I wish I had that self control. At one point early in the game I lost like 20 minutes of progress, I thought to myself, never again. Also it doesn't help that I'm playing a Rogue/Archer, if I get detected and can't snipe a few enemies I'm in for a world of hurt and probably death. Leads to me saving after every few packs of enemies. I could condense it down to just 3 save slots I regularly update I guess, but it's just easier to hit new save. lol
Dude 20 minutes of lost progress is nothing. I lost about 5 hours of progress in Oblivion from Vampirism. I ended up just re-rolling a new character. Never again!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Think I'm almost level 19, but about 30-35 hours played. Some of that was from putting the controller down and eating, drinking, and other stuff.

Meier

belvedere said:
The
execution in Solitude

Is it possible to prevent it?
Please use responsible spoilering and provide some sort of explanation as to what the spoiler may be about. You could have been referencing something that happened in the first 5 hours and therefore I would have wanted to participate in the conversation if I could. I'm not disappointed I learned this since it sounds like it's unavoidable, but if this were something much bigger I'd be disappointed.

Correct spoiler usage is something like this.

"Is it possible to prevent the
spoiler here[/-spoiler] (plot point that happens in XX town)?"

Derrick01 said:
Yes they do have their own sneak skill. I took Lydia with me yesterday and she crouched with me but she was attracting everyone in the fort and constantly blowing my cover because of her poor sneak.

The Draugrs seem to only react as you get extremely close to them. I've put arrows into them before they woke up and got credit for kills, but I'm assuming with a high sneak you could stroll past them.

Its amazing what you can get away with with a high enough Sneak skill. Couple that with a high Pickpocket skill, a necklace that increases the 'Pocket success %, and you've got yourself a method that will get you monetarily stable in a pretty short amount of time.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Derrick01 said:
Yes they do have their own sneak skill. I took Lydia with me yesterday and she crouched with me but she was attracting everyone in the fort and constantly blowing my cover because of her poor sneak.
She apparently has some of the better sneaking abilities among companions. This and setting off boobytraps means it almost isn't even worth it unless you keep going "wait here" and clearing out stuff ahead and then going back to get them. Of course, that doesn't do you much good against unexpected mobs and insane beasts.

Where is my "follower is not a dumbass" perk?

KoreanBarbecue said:
Guh, why can't you attack while riding a horse?! This must be fixed.
Not near as bad as not being able to step backwards with the horse. All horses should be tank control! Not attacking from on your horse is only really bad because you cant just jump off like a true hero, just the same old leisurely dismount no matter what is after you.

FStop7 said:
I tried at least 50 times. I would create a disruption but most of the time the headsman or the captain would take out the prisoner with their swords as he tried to run away. One time I think I finally helped him get away (I didn't see exactly what happened as I was trying to stay alive, but I'm pretty sure he got clear of all the guards) and I also managed to escape, but afterward I was treated as kill on sight by the guards in the city. As soon as I set foot back in there everyone would attack me - so I reverted to an old save and just gave up.

Werewolf form maybe? You are not held responsible for actions in this form.

TheContact

mujun said:
This game is just too good. Those are my impressions are 4 hours.

BTW, 360 version, anyone else get regular freezing the B button menus and favorite menu, sometimes for up to 2 or 3 seconds.

OMG, Yes. It's extremely annoying. I open the menu with B and try to look at items or something, and it doesn't respond, I try again...nothing...wait about 3-4 seconds and then it works. It happens most of the time, not always. Also happens with Favorites, which is extremely annoying if you're a Mage like I am and you switch spells a lot. I pray that this gets fixed as it's easily the worst bug (I hope) I've encountered.

ShogunX

Jadedx said:
What is everyone's level? How many hours have you been playing?

I've been playing for 24h 38m 49s and I'm only level 11. Like I said earlier though I enjoy exploring and harvesting as much as I can before doing any main missions. I also still have 8 perks unused that I'm not really sure what to do with at the moment.

carfo said:
OMG, Yes. It's extremely annoying. I open the menu with B and try to look at items or something, and it doesn't respond, I try again...nothing...wait about 3-4 seconds and then it works. It happens most of the time, not always. Also happens with Favorites, which is extremely annoying if you're a Mage like I am and you switch spells a lot. I pray that this gets fixed as it's easily the worst bug (I hope) I've encountered.

Pretty sure the freezing you are describing is the game autosaving when you enter the menus. It happens quite frequently as the default setting is to autosave every 15 minutes in the character menu.

STG

This game is nuts!

So I was in Rifton, doing stuff and became over-encumbered. So I was like "yeah what the heck drop some of that armour".
The townspeople started gathering around the loot and yelled at each other, "that's mine!" "no it's mine!" etc.

Apparently they could not decide who gets the loot so two people started a fucking Knife fight to death!

The Dark elves won and killed the poor women. And as a matter of fact, that dead women was a quest person so I had a message pop up that one of my quests has failed.

This is the best game ever!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gravijah said:
beating dudes you aren't really supposed to be fighting yet is always awesome. my new sword is sexaaaay.

This. Random side dungeon spoiler...
I beat the side dungeon last night where you go into a crypt and a dude is standing there saying a crazy necromancer went in and his aunt went in after him. So I went in, plowed through the undead, got to the final area and proceeded to get my ass kicked by a ton of undead the guy raises and eventually beat him by slowly sneaking and picking off everything in the room and the main guy as well.

:p

scy

STG said:
This game is nuts!

So I was in Rifton, doing stuff and became over-encumbered. So I was like "yeah what the heck drop some of that armour".
The townspeople started gathering around the loot and yelled at each other, "that's mine!" "no it's mine!" etc.

Apparently they could not decide who gets the loot so two people started a fucking Knife fight to death!

The Dark elves won and killed the poor women. And as a matter of fact, that dead women was a quest person so I had a message pop up that one of my quests has failed.

Time to start setting up bum fights.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Meier said:
Please use responsible spoilering and provide some sort of explanation as to what the spoiler may be about. You could have been referencing something that happened in the first 5 hours and therefore I would have wanted to participate in the conversation if I could. I'm not disappointed I learned this since it sounds like it's unavoidable, but if this were something much bigger I'd be disappointed.

I see where you're coming from but you have to admit the reluctance in posting even more detail about a possible spoiler.

My apologies, next time I will use your version of proper spoilering.

I'm just about to finish Dark Souls and am looking for the next game to sink my teeth into. The thing is, I really like RPGs, exploration, freedom of choice etc. but Oblivion felt like a really, really poorly made game to me, so I'm hesitant of purchasing Skyrim in fear of Bethesda disappointing me again.

So, the question for me is this: has Skyrim improved enough over Oblivion to make it a worthwhile purchase? Or is it safe to assume that since I didn't like Oblivion that I probably won't enjoy Skyrim either?

TheContact

I was under the impression that the soft level cap is 50, while you can progress past level 50, leveling slows down dramatically and you no longer gain perks.

The Prima guide is fucking amazing. Well written and comprehensive, quality to a T.

Especially if you get the Collector's Edition. This thing feels like a damn college textbook.

scy

Meier said:

To be fair, "first five hours" certainly encompasses this event depending on how you play. Besides, that event
plays out when you ENTER the city; you don't even do anything to trigger it

carfo said:
I was under the impression that the soft level cap is 50, while you can progress past level 50, leveling slows down dramatically and you no longer gain perks.

Raising skills to 100 gets you to Level 81 (and a half, I believe) for 80 total perks. Theoretically, you can get an unlimited amount if you wanted to abuse the system and lower your skills but, at that point, you can just console in all the perk points you want anyway.

anddo0

Jadedx said:
What is everyone's level? How many hours have you been playing?

Level 24 1/2

42 hours played. Only 4 story missions completed. I plan to play most of the rest of today. So it'll probably be 50 hours by tomorrow.

I'm barley out of Whiterun. I've done everything there, but still doing companion missions (do they ever end?) I've been to many locations (100+) and have done a ton of side stuff outside of Whiterun, including killing 8 dragons (2 blood dragons).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Gravijah said:
beating dudes you aren't really supposed to be fighting yet is always awesome. my new sword is sexaaaay.
Like when I was first in Whiterun and he wanted me to go get the dragonstone and I was like "oh, you mean this?" *+1000 swagger*

angelfly said:
I don't want to but I'm selling off my stash of dragon bones and scales in an effort to raise 25000 :(
Good luck finding a merchant with 25000.

If you do... sell them, steal them back, make armor with them. They'll never know.

scy said:
To be fair, "first five hours" certainly encompasses this event depending on how you play. Besides, that event
plays out when you ENTER the city; you don't even do anything to trigger it
I didn't even see it, but it's acting like I did. Maybe I entered from the wrong place?

ShogunX

carfo said:

Just in case you or anybody else missed it -

The freezing you are describing is the game autosaving when you enter the menus. It happens quite frequently as the default setting is to autosave every 15 minutes in the character menu. The way to fix this is to turn off character menu autosaving in the gameplay section.

HTuran

Glorious_Paradox said:
I'm just about to finish Dark Souls and am looking for the next game to sink my teeth into. The thing is, I really like RPGs, exploration, freedom of choice etc. but Oblivion felt like a really, really poorly made game to me, so I'm hesitant of purchasing Skyrim in fear of Bethesda disappointing me again.

So, the question for me is this: has Skyrim improved enough over Oblivion to make it a worthwhile purchase? Or is it safe to assume that since I didn't like Oblivion that I probably won't enjoy Skyrim either?
Coming from Dark Souls, the combat will feel incredibly clumsy. Skyrim definitely seems more polished than Oblivion, as I was the same (5 hours in Oblivion before I quit).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
STG said:
This game is nuts!

:lol

Numpt3

STG said:
This game is nuts!

Hah! I have to try this later.

FStop7

Banned
Let's see... 180 saves in 31 hours of playing. I just deleted all but the 10 most recent ones.

So far I've had 4 crashes to desktop, total. They seem to happen more often as I've progressed further into the game.

Darkgran

Just passed the 10 hour mark.

Its been a long time since a game has grabbed me the way this has. So many random things have happened in the short time I have played and it feels like I have done a ton.

I can easily seeing myself put 300 hours into this. Hopefully I will have that much time to play.

On a side note...the ending was freaking spoiled for me. Something about the
Dragons
Not a big deal but wish I didn't know.

bengraven

Modded the game a bit already: removed blocky faces, smoother skins, fps optimizer, and the saturation/AA mod.

Still looks eh sometimes, but whatever.

VandalD

belvedere said:
The
execution in Solitude

Is it possible to prevent it?
Dunno, but I sure tried after saving the game.
They were able to shoot him amidst my fireballs as he tried to run deeper into the town as opposed to out the front gate.
Ended up rampaging through the entire place. Was good fun. I doubt it's possible to prevent, but if it is, I'd like to know too.

xxczx

Hugs said:
Good mining location for the Orc armor mineral?
Once you get to the smithing level and get the perk, nearly all blacksmiths and general goods stores sell them. I've not found anywhere for ores though.

Meier

belvedere said:
I see where you're coming from but you have to admit the reluctance in posting even more detail about a possible spoiler.

My apologies, next time I will use your version of proper spoilering.
No worries, it's something that isn't done enough in general. I know it was heavily enforced in the Game of Thrones threads in the OT and it's quite helpful.

Glorious_Paradox said:

It has been improved a great deal but if you didn't like the core mechanics like the combat then you probably won't like it in this either. I wasn't very much into oblivion an I still have a couple of things that I really dislike about skyrim, but overall I am enjoying it a lot more that I was with oblivion here 15 hours into the game, it's up there with deus ex hr and witcher 2 for me.

But I certainly wouldn't advice against waiting a little for the modders to fix some stuff, bethesda games seems to always be much better 6 months after release.

bengraven

The hero shot near Breezehome.

RReDt.jpg

For the ladies and less straight types.

R0EDW.jpg

The missus.

bL3El.jpg

The sidekick.

Eg0Ej.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Slermy said:
This is incorrect. If you raised every skill to 100 you'd be around level 80.

Excuse me. Misremembered the info:

Ted Howard said:
While most players will max out the game at level 50, Skyrim has a "mathematical" level cap "probably somewhere in the 70s", Howard said.

MrPliskin

Banned
Would have liked to enjoy this, but between the bugs on all platforms, I'm simply not sold. Bought a PS3 copy, found out that the save file bug from Fallout 3 *AND* New Vegas is STILL in this god forsaken piece of shit engine. FFS, Bethesda, figure it out. Amateurs.

Will see you guy's in 6 months when I get a used copy for $30. Till then, see you in OT2 (or 3).

TheContact

Shogun PaiN said:
Just in case you or anybody else missed it -

The freezing you are describing is the game autosaving when you enter the menus. It happens quite frequently as the default setting is to autosave every 15 minutes in the character menu. The way to fix this is to turn off character menu autosaving in the gameplay section.

Thank you so much, they should just leave that off by default, or at least have some kind of "Saving" logo to let people know what's happening. I do need to go through the settings again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom