• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Forkball said:
What's the point of rings, necklaces, circlets etc? I can craft a bunch of silver rings with different jewels but they don't give me any stat bonuses.
So you can enchant them, or sell them. I think thats it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mr_eX said:
I'm getting annoyed with Lydia, are there better companions? There was this elf lady at the College of Winterhold that turned me into a horse(and a few other things) that I can have as my companion, is she any better?
J'zargo at the Winterhold College will join you, and he's a boss. Mages seem like the best companions, as their spells do good consistent damage with effects and they're less likely to run into any dangerously stupid positions.

Davedough said:
Is there any real reason to hold onto the dragonbones and such? I'm afraid to sell anything for fear that i'll need it.

You can craft armor out of them. I'd keep them in a chest in a house rather than keep them on you. They weigh so much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
mileS said:
Is that the Krosis mask? thats the only one I got thus far but I know theres like at least 5-6 other marks that look similar. Krosis was a bitch but the mask is sooooo good I'll probably use it for the rest of the game.

It's Volsung, dunno what the rest do but this is 20% better prices at stores, 20 extra carry weight, and let's me breathe underwater(but I'm Argonian so that doesn't matter). I heard about there being more...I'm afraid.

markot

Banned
Davedough said:
Is there any real reason to hold onto the dragonbones and such? I'm afraid to sell anything for fear that i'll need it.
I think for smithing, the higher tier stuff is dragon so you need dragon bits!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
markot said:
Yeah, UI needs alot of work >.<'

Can you get a dog/wolf companion in this game? Also one that never dies.
I'm sure mods for both are in the works.

Forkball said:
What's the point of rings, necklaces, circlets etc? I can craft a bunch of silver rings with different jewels but they don't give me any stat bonuses.
Moneeeeeyyyy

You can enchant them

Dyno

Cutwolf said:
The lack of Mage gear is frustrating.

What do you really need though?

My two-fisted Destruction Mage has a great set of clothes. I wear good armour gloves and boots. Plus I found an Orcish dagger that absorbs 10 mana a hit. If I ever run out of mana during a fight I pull the dagger, do a couple quick stabs, and it gives me enough for another spell. Add to that a Sneaking amulet and I feel good to go.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Papercuts said:
It's Volsung, dunno what the rest do but this is 20% better prices at stores, 20 extra carry weight, and let's me breathe underwater(but I'm Argonian so that doesn't matter). I heard about there being more...I'm afraid.
70 extra stamina Dragon Priest mask seems like the best one I've found so far, but I'm still missing a few.

Cudder

gdt5016 said:
I got to Whiterun, did some quest killing a bandit, explored the area, stayed the hell away from those Giants, and got back to talk to the Jarl. Put a few more quests-to-be-solved in my journal too. Now I guess we're going to fight a dragon.

Any general tips for this early part of the game?
That's pretty much where I am right now, but I'm not going to fight the dragon just yet, I don't like when my quest log gets backed up with too much to do, so right now I'm just checking off some side quests.

Dresden

The combination of Silent Roll + Silence makes stealth gameplay so much more fun. Silent Roll in particular is totally awesome - get detected? Roll away into hiding. It makes sneak much faster. Also joined the Dark Brotherhood and while the armor looks dumb (and thus I won't be using most of it) the Cowl and the Gloves are sick.

I wonder how overpowered Shadow Warrior will be.

markot

Banned
Also as well.

Where is the biggest house you can own? The one in Whiterun or whatever its called (First big town you get to) is kinda small >.>

mileS

The Khajiit in this game are awesome. I haven't ran into many this far, but I love talking with them just to hear the cool accent. There's just something about them this time around that is incredibly engaging. I kind of wish they were used more often but maybe I haven't been to a town or place that has more of them.

Papercuts said:

ah okay yea the Krosis mask I have gives you 20% more damage with archery, 20% easier lockpicking and 20% better alchemy or something. Seeing as how I mainly use archery I'll probably stick with this mask for the rest of the game.

Davedough

narcosis219 said:
You can craft armor out of them. I'd keep them in a chest in a house rather than keep them on you. They weigh so much.

I'm too poor for a house. I've been hovering around 900 gold and then I start buying spells. (Only lvl 7)

ced

This game is so content rich I just can't complete a quest without getting involved in some other thing like a dungeon etc, it's not good on my ADHD.

Some of the coolest stuff is not even quest related, or maybe it's a quest I just have yet to find:

I was just starting the mage quest line and found a small floor access door in some part of the mage area in Winterhold. It is some creepy place called The Midden where some students have been doing bad bad things. The whole place seems like they are keeping some beast down there and offering it sacrifices but I'm not sure. I then found a daedric glove and by that a note and key from an investigator. He mentioned that the rings that were on the glove are in the arcadium so tonight I'm going to go searching there.

Blizzard said:
What concrete suggestions would you recommend? The UI has been quite functional for me so far, and I'm glad the mouse wheel works in it. There could be more options, and the biggest bug I have encountered is that sometimes the wrong dialogue option gets selected.

I agree I think the UI is great, it's clean, functional. My only gripes are sometimes you can click out of the menus for no apparent reason.
Also you should be able to hotkey Left+Right combinations. Really dumb that you can't. And yeah clicking the wrong dialogue option sometimes is an issue.

Other than that I don't have any problems with it.

Cudder

For some reason, when I started out I thought that the quests under "Misc." were the side quests. I was focusing on finishing them before I advanced the story. It's safe to say that side quests are the ones that are above Misc in the menu, and have the big letters when you start one? (Ex. "NEW QUEST: BLAH BLAH BLAH")

Also, it may sound silly but I just realized that I shouldn't be upgrading the skills that my character is good at/constantly use all the time because those are going to level up quickly naturally.

markot

Banned
Cudder said:
Also, it may sound silly but I just realized that I shouldn't be upgrading the skills that my character is good at/constantly use all the time because those are going to level up quickly naturally.
You mean perks or buying levels from dudes?

Perks are great >.<, if you use something alot, perks make them alot better.

I'm stumped as to why they didn't give us at least 3 hotkeys. 2 isn't enough for a mage. Why not make up on the d-pad the only way to access favorites, where down could simply be the number 3?

ckohler

Someone several pages back said you could hotkey stuff to the left and right on the d-pad on the consoles. Is this true or were they full of it? I tried but couldn't get it to work.

ckohler said:
Someone several pages back said you could hotkey stuff to the left and right on the d-pad on the consoles. Is this true or were they full of it? I tried but couldn't get it to work.
On the 360 its up on the dpad

Mr_eX

I just read that after you do the main quest line for The Companions you can have any of them be your companion and apparently Aela the Huntress is great. They're all suppose to be good though and don't lag behind your level as much.

Dice

I don't want better buy/sell prices I just want stores to have more money themselves. So annoying when you have to go to 7 different places to sell your stuff because you have so much and it all kicks ass and it takes 3 different stores to even accept the different types of loot you pick up.

Mr_eX said:
I just read that after you do the main quest line for The Companions you can have any of them be your companion and apparently Aela the Huntress is great. They're all suppose to be good though and don't lag behind your level as much.
If you want her before that, you can marry her.

GhaleonEB

Deadly Cyclone said:
Isn't the top 70? I assume it slows down as you get higher too.
My understanding is, the soft cap (when it really slows progress down) is 50, and the hard cap is 70. But after three days of playing, I'm at 19, and things haven't slowed down. I'm worried that two weeks from now I'll be past the soft cap.

Meier

ckohler said:
As mentioned, it's up on the 360. It's somewhat cumbersome in that it isn't like an instant cast or change or anything and you have to go through a menu selection, but it's the best we can get. You "favorite" an item/spell/etc. with Y and then it gets added to the list. Not sure if there is a cap on number of things that can be favorited or not.. I have about 15-20 things.

ckohler said:

Just go into favorites by pressing up on the d pad, highlight your intended spell/item, hold onto left or right on the d pad. done.

edit: this is the pc version with the 360 pad, I figured it would be the same.

Meier said:
As mentioned, it's up on the 360. It's somewhat cumbersome in that it isn't like an instant cast or change or anything and you have to go through a menu selection, but it's the best we can get. You "favorite" an item/spell/etc. with Y and then it gets added to the list. Not sure if there is a cap on number of things that can be favorited or not.. I have about 15-20 things.

The up on the d pad just gets you into your favorite selection. left and right on the d pad ARE instant.

ttocs

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Just go into favorites by pressing up on the d pad, highlight your intended skill/item, hold onto the left or right on the d pad. done.

I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out!

ckohler said:

Bring up your quick favourites menu, scroll to the favourite you want to hotkey, hold left or right on the dpad to assign it (numbers 1 or 2 will appear next to a successfully hotkeyed favourite) - voila!

Edit: late, lol.

Davedough

Meier said:

Not sure of a limit myself either, but Brad from GiantBomb's QL of the game had easily double that amount of things in his favorites.

Dice

Question for someone who is married with multiple houses.

If I marry this priestess now, I assume she will go back to my house in Whiterun because she lives in her temple and has no place of her own, yes? Now, if I buy a new house, will she show up in any house I go to or will she stick to just one place? I will be putting this info in my marriage post, too.

PM me the answer because this thread moves too fast and I'm playing now.

Dresden said:
Fucking wispmothers, man.
I know that feel, bro.
FIRE! BLAZING INFERNO THAT BITCH!

Vire

Wow the end to the main quest line was so incredibly epic.

What an improvement over Oblivion. Bethesda should be incredibly proud of their work, I've enjoyed it immensely.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mr_eX said:
I'm getting annoyed with Lydia, are there better companions? There was this elf lady at the College of Winterhold that turned me into a horse(and a few other things) that I can have as my companion, is she any better?

Have you given Lydia stuff? I gave her everything I couldn't use (i'm a mage) and she's very very capable under most circumstances. I'm going to try the mages soon since i just unlocked the beastlike melee pet. The dark elf girl seems to be illusion based so fuck her. I'm told you can get that annoying cat dude with the expert level destruction spells. I'm sure he's going to be amazing once i give him the shock staff.

Cutwolf said:
The lack of Mage gear is frustrating.

I agree, but the Mage College line leaves you so well off it's ridiculous. Outside of that you can also try enhancing. I think you can enhance magic items for most of your slots. One thing i'm looking to experiment with is elven armor. I found a elven helm with -17% cost on conjuration spells. So that implies I can enhance all eleven armor with those stats which would be so much swag it's ridiculous.

UFRA

Dice said:
Question for someone who is married with multiple houses.

If I marry this priestess now, I assume she will go back to my house in Whiterun because she lives in her temple and has no place of her own, yes? Now, if I buy a new house, will she show up in any house I go to or will she stick to just one place? I will be putting this info in my marriage post, too.

PM me the answer because this thread moves too fast and I'm playing now.

I know that feel, bro.
FIRE! BLAZING INFERNO THAT BITCH!

Wow, you can marry people? lol

You sir, just sold me on the game.

I've been peeking at this thread lately and I can't resist this game any longer....

I got married to a woman from Whiterun, can't remember her name (lol) and I've no idea where she is - she's not in my house and she isn't where I met her - is this a bug or have I overlooked something?

Interfectum

GarthVaderUK said:
I got married to a woman from Whiterun, can't remember her name (lol) and I've no idea where she is - she's not in my house and she isn't where I met her - is this a bug or have I overlooked something?

She ran off with an elf.

Meier

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Just go into favorites by pressing up on the d pad, highlight your intended spell/item, hold onto left or right on the d pad. done.

edit: this is the pc version with the 360 pad, I figured it would be the same.

The up on the d pad just gets you into your favorite selection. left and right on the d pad ARE instant.
Interesting, I don't believe this is explained anywhere in the game. I'm excited to go home and check it out -- will be quite handy! If you set a potion to this, does it automatically use it?

Vire

Could anyone point me in the direction of an easy to find Enchanting station?

I can't seem to remember any spots with one.

garath

Vire said:
Could anyone point me in the direction of an easy to find Enchanting station?

I can't seem to remember any spots with one.

Whiterun, the jarl's castle, the mage's little room next to the jarl's throne. I use that one all the time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Glorious_Paradox said:
I'm just about to finish Dark Souls and am looking for the next game to sink my teeth into. The thing is, I really like RPGs, exploration, freedom of choice etc. but Oblivion felt like a really, really poorly made game to me, so I'm hesitant of purchasing Skyrim in fear of Bethesda disappointing me again.

So, the question for me is this: has Skyrim improved enough over Oblivion to make it a worthwhile purchase? Or is it safe to assume that since I didn't like Oblivion that I probably won't enjoy Skyrim either?

Buy the game. Enough said.

I liked Oblivion, but was well aware of the jankiness and awkwardness of it all, Skyrim so far is much, much improved. Combat is still similar, but even it has improved some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom