• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vire said:
Could anyone point me in the direction of an easy to find Enchanting station?

I can't seem to remember any spots with one.

Dragonsreach(or whatever the Whiterun castle is called). Go to the mage on the right side of the throne.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm getting my ass kicked trying to ascend
the 7000 steps...
are we "supposed" to do this early in the game, or should I lvl first?

Been doing other stuff for a while... I'm lvl 21 but I feel like I need to move the main quest forward
regarding my shouts.

I've killed a half dozen dragons... but only
have the one shout

Can anyone link to where you can report quest bugs? I'm having some issues with turning one quest in(the Children of the Sky quest) and one quest not disappearing from active quests list even though I've completed it. I tried looking on the Bethesda website as well as googling it with no luck.

ced

GarthVaderUK said:
I got married to a woman from Whiterun, can't remember her name (lol) and I've no idea where she is - she's not in my house and she isn't where I met her - is this a bug or have I overlooked something?

She is banging the Jral!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

Been doing other stuff for a while... I'm lvl 21 but I feel like I need to move the main quest forward
regarding my shouts.

have the one shout
I think you can do it any time but beware that there's a
frost troll
that will own you if you're not prepared.

Meier said:
Interesting, I don't believe this is explained anywhere in the game. I'm excited to go home and check it out -- will be quite handy! If you set a potion to this, does it automatically use it?

I haven't tried setting a potion to it actually

edit: Also, if you're using a spell for one of the hotkeys, you press the hotkey once to activate it in your left hand, then press it again to additionally put the spell in your right hand. Pretty sweet system, which is why I'm so annoyed they didn't include down on the d pad as an additional one.

Meier

Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

regarding my shouts.

have the one shout
I did this around lvl 12-13 at most. I ran from the yeti but I believe that was the only real time I was in danger.

markot

Banned
Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

regarding my shouts.

have the one shout
I did it at like lvl 10 >.< its always hard, stupid ice troll mainly. Just use potions and crap.

Zhaanie

Banned
How do I replace a companion that is presumably dead?

I haven't seen Lydia in ages, and I'm pretty sure she died somewhere. But when I try to replace her with someone else, they keep saying something like "you're already with someone". How to fix this problem?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
HTuran said:
Is there any good way to quickly level Enchanting? Soul gems are the limiting factor, right?

Yup. Your first few disenchants are pretty awesome for exp, but otherwise, start buying/stealing gems and get a Soul Trap enchanted weapon to start filling gems and enchanting junk gear.

Derrick01

Banned
Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

I don't think it's meant to be that tough but I don't know. I talked to a guy before I did that and he said "oh don't worry there's just wolves up there".

Bitch please, there was anything BUT wolves. Bears, ice wraiths, trolls. I spent more time fighting those than I did on the actual trip.

ttocs

Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

regarding my shouts.

have the one shout

I don't think you have to be really strong for this. I was around 8-12 or so when I first went up there. Just watch out for
that damn snow cat that pops out around the top.
It killed me the first time because I wasn't keeping an eye on my health.

HTuran

nicoga3000 said:
Yup. Your first few disenchants are pretty awesome for exp, but otherwise, start buying/stealing gems and get a Soul Trap enchanted weapon to start filling gems and enchanting junk gear.
Will do, thanks. Been ignoring it so far, but heard a lot of people saying it's essential. Plus, as a Thief, I really don't need to worry about selling weapons for money :)

To clarify, using a soul gem to refill a weapon destroys the gem, right? Or does it just empty the soul from it?

Mr_eX

Sol.. said:
Have you given Lydia stuff? I gave her everything I couldn't use (i'm a mage) and she's very very capable under most circumstances. I'm going to try the mages soon since i just unlocked the beastlike melee pet. The dark elf girl seems to be illusion based so fuck her. I'm told you can get that annoying cat dude with the expert level destruction spells. I'm sure he's going to be amazing once i give him the shock staff.
I give her all sorts of stuff but she's always running ahead. She's been dieing fast recently so I constantly have to heal her so she or I'll have to reload my save as she has way too much of my stuff on her to take off her dead body. I even gave her a bow which is useful against dragons but in dungeons she never uses it.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

regarding my shouts.

have the one shout

you can do it real early, just run from the dangerous stuff. I say that because the dungeon after is super easy. So i can't imagine them wanting you to be all that high of a level.

Firebrand

I really do wish there was some indicator on the level of the enemy. I was doing this little bandit killing quest, and I see this lone Bandit Marauder guy in a pit wearing nothing but light fur armor. I'm wearing plate and shield. Easy.

NOPE. He proceeded to kill me, over and over and over. It was only with Lydia's help I finally managed to kill him off. If I screwed up the timing on my blocks, he could almost one-shot kill me with a combo.

They should have sent THAT guy to kill dragons.

Rengoku

Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

regarding my shouts.

have the one shout

I was level 13 when I ascended
the 7000 steps
, so I think you should be fine, the only issue I had was the
snow sabre cat
. But as long as you take your npc companion with you, it should'nt be too hard.

Try doing a couple more dungeons, and quests, those will give you more
shouts

ttocs

Mr_eX said:
I give her all sorts of stuff but she's always running ahead. She's been dieing fast recently so I constantly have to heal her so she or I'll have to reload my save as she has way too much of my stuff on her to take off her dead body. I even gave her a bow which is useful against dragons but in dungeons she never uses it.

Yeah, it's frustrating when you want a companion to use a certain weapon but the free will system doesn't allow it. They think they know how to play better than me? Shit...I'm a dragonborn.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mr_eX said:

can you remove the other stuff except the bow? I wonder if she will avoid using a default weapon.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Meier said:
I did this around lvl 12-13 at most. I ran from the yeti but I believe that was the only real time I was in danger.

I'm not built for combat... I'm a sneaking character. This has seemed pretty OP for most of the game, but then I get on the steps and suddenly there are like clairvoyant freaking animals I can't sneak around (lvl 71 sneak!). The first damn bear basically OHK's me in direct combat... it's pretty sad. :(

Chairhome

Evolved1 said:
the 7000 steps...

regarding my shouts.

have the one shout
I haven't done the greybeard quest yet and I have two shouts. If you do some more exploration and side quests, you'll eventually come across a few more dragon words in dungeons. After you learn them, just unlock them with the dragon souls that you currently have.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Johnlenham said:
Suggestions for places to sell all my loot?? Most merchants have 1k tops but I've got ALOT of crap to sell

Unfortunately, the amount of money merchants carry seems to scale with your level. I remember when I first got to Whiterun, merchants only had like 700 gold, but now at level 31, they have over 3,000.

Goddamn, I hate scaling. Kills any sense of discovering something cool.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
HTuran said:
Will do, thanks. Been ignoring it so far, but heard a lot of people saying it's essential. Plus, as a Thief, I really don't need to worry about selling weapons for money :)

To clarify, using a soul gem to refill a weapon destroys the gem, right? Or does it just empty the soul from it?

Sorry, yeah - using the gem will destroy it (be it for enchanting or recharging),
unless you have Azura's Star, which is infinite use.

As a thief/stealth type, enchanting is huge. +% damage with your main weapon of choice will make your life even easier.

JoeBoy101

Dice said:
I don't know how to reveal this without spoiling something for someone, so I will do increased levels of spoiler and you will know if you should stop or not.

Confidential mission related to Riverwood bar.

From "A friend"

Off to Kynesgrove and...

HOLY FUCKING SHIT A NECROMANCER DRAGON AND I'M TALKING TO THEM WHILE FIGHTING BEST GAME EVARRR

That was awesome. Aldruin was busy talking shit to me about how I didn't even understand their language yet take the name of Dovah and all. At that point, fairly pissed, I just said, "I understand this, FUS RO DAH!"

Aldruin suddenly realized he left the oven on back at whatever cave he came from, as I jumped all over the stunned other dragon.

Now THAT's how you do a quest.

UFRA said:
Wow, you can marry people? lol

You sir, just sold me on the game.

I've been peeking at this thread lately and I can't resist this game any longer....

More than that, your wife/husband will continue their profession afterwards. So, if a merchant, they will keep selling things and you can make some profit. If a warrior/mage/mercenary, you can bring them on adventures with you, etc.

So is the guy you talk to after doing the Hangover quest actually
Sanguine in disguise again? He sounds kind of ominous after you steal that ale for him and he gets up and you talk to him again. If you're not sure who I'm talking about after you get transported out of Sanguine's realm you're back in the Inn and a drunk starts talking to you, he actually gives you a quest to steal Ale from the same Inn and after you finish it he sounds rather evil
. I hope that is the case because it was a really cool way to finish it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm an archmage now. I feel ultra badass.

screenshot41630vf.jpg

OG Kush

Need some help here.. Went to upgrade a skill with a perk but on the skill tree menu my Descrtion has been lowered from 35 to 20 and the text is red. This is obviously a bad sign. I went to the temple to pray and nothing happaned. No one even says I'm sick. What has happened here?

Just getting into enchanting. If a high level enchanted item is disenchanted, does it give you better stats when you disenchant than that of a lower quality enchanted item? (I know better soul gems increase the stats).

So, I'm exploring the northern parts of the land, and I come across a lone lighthouse. I step inside...
Goddamn Falmer tunneled inside and killed everyone who lived there.

Dresden

So I guess Quick Reflexes is bugged - it procced on a bear, and then a few wolves jumped in, and basically time stayed slowed down for like thirty seconds while I hacked everything down and had to wait for it to fade.

Blue Ninja said:
So, I'm exploring the northern parts of the land, and I come across a lone lighthouse. I step inside...
Goddamn Falmer tunneled inside and killed everyone who lived there.

That place freaked me the fuck out. That goddamn scratching noise.

JoeBoy101

OG Kush said:
Need some help here.. Went to upgrade a skill with a perk but on the skill tree menu my Descrtion has been lowered from 35 to 20 and the text is red. This is obviously a bad sign. I went to the temple to pray and nothing happaned. No one even says I'm sick. What has happened here?

Did you have an item that boosted your skill which you subsequently removed/took off?

Blue Ninja said:
So, I'm exploring the northern parts of the land, and I come across a lone lighthouse. I step inside... Goddamn Falmer tunneled inside and killed everyone who lived there.

Ooooh, I think I know exactly where you are talking about. I think I went by it when trying to
save Thorald(sp?), the son of the woman in Whiterun
. DEFINITELY checking their tonight.

Also, just gotta say, I LOVE the Civil War quest lines.

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Just getting into enchanting. If a high level enchanted item is disenchanted, does it give you better stats when you disenchant than that of a lower quality enchanted item? (I know better soul gems increase the stats).
I don't think so. It won't let you disenchant, say, a weapon that does 30 fire damage if you already disenchanted one at like 10 fire damage.

tigerin

Question for you guys. I just killed my first dragon, now I need more magic and health potion. Where can I but a tons of those?

tigerin said:
Question for you guys. I just killed my first dragon, now I need more magic and health potion. Where can I but a tons of those?

You can get potions from the alchemist and general goods shops in Whiterun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Smithing is so easy to exploit. Just buy a ton of Iron Ingots and Leather Strips and you can get up to 100 skill with like 20k gold and craft Daedric items.

HTuran

nicoga3000 said:
Sorry, yeah - using the gem will destroy it (be it for enchanting or recharging),
unless you have Azura's Star, which is infinite use.

As a thief/stealth type, enchanting is huge. +% damage with your main weapon of choice will make your life even easier.
Sweet, thanks for the help. Will look into that spoiler!

Last question for the night. What's with the trainers' levels? i.e. Some are 'Common', some are 'Expert'. Is it just the maximum level they can teach to? BTW, love that you can pickpocket the money back!

This game came out of nowhere for me. It's so beautiful, and the environments are so well done. After I did most of the quests in Whiterun, I decided to make my next stop the College of Winterhold since I'm going primarily mage (I started Imperial, but most of my skill increases have been in Conjuring, Destruction, and Enchanting - I think I'm level 50 Conjuring already) and god, the Winterhold environment just blows me away.

I was in the middle of the College of Winterhold questline and had
just talked to the Augur in the Middens
and decided to take the bottom exit instead of the top, and ended up at the bottom of the cliff underneath the College. And it felt so bleak, staring out into the frozen sea with the wind whipping snow around me: I really felt like I was at the end of the world. Then I just spent the next half hour exploring the bottom of the cliffside, found a gold ore vein to mine and some ruins, and my exploration culminated with finding
a crazy guy who has a lead on an Elder Scroll
, which started a whole new questline for me.

This game is amazing. Unlike, say, Fallout, where exploration leads you to finding some unique stuff, but usually just like bottlecaps or food or whatever, Skyrim really makes you feel rewarded for exploration and going off the beaten path.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
AllIsOneIsNone said:

What you're doing when you DE gear is learning the general enchant. So if you DE a piece of gear with Lockpicking +20%, you are learning "Fortify Lockpicking". Your skill (and gem) in Enchanting is what determines the strength of that enchant.

ttocs

tigerin said:
You are just going to have to go around and look for them from merchants. Go to all the big cities and find the alchemist. Plus, you can also buy raw ingredients and make health potions. Early game the health potion is wheat and something else. They sell it at most places.

Also, learn the healing spell and raise it with use. It will save your hide when you run out of potions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dresden said:
So I guess Quick Reflexes is bugged - it procced on a bear, and then a few wolves jumped in, and basically time stayed slowed down for like thirty seconds while I hacked everything down and had to wait for it to fade.
I really wish it stacked with the Slow Time Shout (which still seems like the best Shout in the game as far as I can tell). It would be absurd but it's annoying to not be able to zoom in during the shouts duration.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I forgot to put that first perk in enchanting before I made my daggers, d'oh

boundedseven said:
Might've been asked before but I love the Dragon Age and The Witcher series but hated Oblivion. Will I like Skyrim?
Dude it's so good. I don't know. But it's so good.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
boundedseven said:
Might've been asked before but I love the Dragon Age and The Witcher series but hated Oblivion. Will I like Skyrim?

What did you hate about Oblivion?

Rengoku

tigerin said:

You can also mix your own with Alchemy. Basically, you want to mix 2 ingredients that have the same attribute together. So for example, Butterfly Wing and Blue Mountain Flower both have "Restore Health" attribute, so if you mixed them, you should get a Potion of Restore Health.

I found this page pretty useful to figure out the attributes of each ingredient:
http://www.flesheatingzipper.com/games/2011/11/skyrim-guide-alchemy-fez-style/

Alternatively, you can also discover the attribute of an item by eating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom