• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Tanolen said:
Most OP ability in the game.

Hmm. I wasn't going to finish the sneak tree since the roll didn't seem that useful and the silence can be had with items but if Shadow warrior is that powerful I may do it. Sure will help me when I'm trying for that sneak kill.

I can already one shot giants though. How much sicker can it get? lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Confidence Man said:
I talked to everyone, no one has any dialogue to purchase the house. There must be some condition that has to be met.

you should talk to the guy with an italian surname. He usually resides on a top of a castle. And you must kill your first dragon.

GhaleonEB

Confidence Man said:
I talked to everyone, no one has any dialogue to purchase the house. There must be some condition that has to be met.
Is there a quest the Jarl has associated with them? That's how I got access to the one in Solitude - she wouldn't offer a home to me until I'd done two quests.

Blue Ninja said:
I engaged that Elder Dragon, lured it about a bit, keeping it from really hurting me by using Become Ethereal. There was a fort nearby that happened to be inhabited by Stormcloaks, so I jumped down the mountain, leading the dragon to them. It killed half of the Stormcloaks, I killed the dragon. :lol

I tried to do that with a regular Dragon, but the stupid mages at the fort I brought it to decided to attack me instead of the dragon and all of us died to one fire breath attack. I was like "YOU IDIOTS!"

ajf009

GhaleonEB said:
Is there a quest the Jarl has associated with them? That's how I got access to the one in Solitude - she wouldn't offer a home to me until I'd done two quests.

That's how it is in Whiterun too, so I assume it's like this in every city. do a certain quest or amount of quests for the Jarl and then you'll be allowed to buy one

Mifune

Mehmber
10 hours in, Level 7 here.

I dabbled in Morrowind, put about 20 hours into Fallout 3, but this is the first Bethesda game I've played at launch.

My biggest problem with F3 was how much work it took to even find quests. Exploration for the hell of it never seemed to be all that rewarding, since what could I expect to find in an apocalyptic wasteland. But Skyrim bends over backward to make me feel welcome and show me a good time.

My first impression wasn't glowing, though. The beginning of the game felt like Dragon Age with worse writing and voice acting. And the first quest I attempted, Ill by Moonlight, was bugged to hell and back. (Still can't even complete it)

But once I got into the rhythm of the game and grew to understand what type of character I wanted to play (sniping bandits by moonlight never gets old), I could feel it start to get its hooks in me.

My job ends Friday and I'm scared to think of how much time I'll lose to this game in the coming weeks.

stufte

Ikuu said:
No you need to do them to unlock other quests, but they don't seem to be appearing.

I've only done 2 repeatable quests for the thieves guild, and I'm pretty close to the end of the guild questline.

nicoga3000 said:
What you're doing when you DE gear is learning the general enchant. So if you DE a piece of gear with Lockpicking +20%, you are learning "Fortify Lockpicking". Your skill (and gem) in Enchanting is what determines the strength of that enchant.

Thank you, so much, for this info.

subversus said:
you should talk to the guy with an italian surname. He usually resides on a top of a castle. And you must kill your first dragon.

In Riften? I think you're talking about Whiterun.

The Jarl or any of her people don't seem to have any quests aside from fetching a sword for one of her kids.

I'm guessing Lydia is part of the companions line? I've never encountered this person but she's all I hear about over and over. I'm avoiding the companions line till my next play-through.

The only companion I've ever found is a mage called Illia, and she's a fantastic companion. She throws around so much power.

FreakinSyco said:
I'm guessing Lydia is part of the companions line? I've never encountered this person but she's all I hear about over and over. I'm avoiding the companions line till my next play-through.

The only companion I've ever found is a mage called Illia, and she's a fantastic companion. She throws around so much power.
Yes Lydia is a follower but not a Companion (Fighter's Guild member)

scy

So any thoughts on the usefulness of the Speechcraft tree? I'm in need of money, sure, but I can just ... sell things more often, I imagine. I don't quite get the usefulness of investing in merchants or raising their gold cap when there's more merchants around than I could ever possibly exhaust before they restock their gold supply.

But ... better prices ...

FreakinSyco said:

She's part of the story. You get access to her after
saving Whiterun from the Dragon and being given the title Thane

vaelic

Banned
2 quick questions:

1. I had received my first NPC AI to tag along with me. When I died and came back to life, the NPC was nowhere to be found. How do I re-gain them?

2: Is there a way to summon your horse or do you need to run to where he roamed to?

scy said:
So any thoughts on the usefulness of the Speechcraft tree? I'm in need of money, sure, but I can just ... sell things more often, I imagine. I don't quite get the usefulness of investing in merchants or raising their gold cap when there's more merchants around than I could ever possibly exhaust before they restock their gold supply.

Damn I am posting a lot today but I've read that Speechcraft is especially useful if you are also a Blacksmith. It is apparently the best way to make money at end-game.

Doing the companions missions now and got the breath fire shout. This game is so good. And from reading this thread I've barely scratched the surface 13 hours in.

Question: Where is the best place to buy destruction spells?

masterkajo

Have encountered my first dragon today! Awesome! I tried to kill it mid air but apparently the dragon just lands once he got a certain amount of damage... Is there no option to kill it in mid air and then it falls to the ground? Would have loved that!

HTuran

scy said:

She's part of the story. You get access to her after
saving Whiterun from the Dragon and being given the title Thane
Speechcraft and Lockpicking are fairly useless. If you want money, just start pickpocketing people.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
scy said:

I have a few points in the better prices perk of Speech. Outside of that, I can't see myself needing anything more. There are enough places for me to go to be able to sell all my stuff, and I honestly don't mind waiting for a few in game days for shop owners to restock.

H3xum

vaelic said:
2 quick questions:

1. I had received my first NPC AI to tag along with me. When I died and came back to life, the NPC was nowhere to be found. How do I re-gain them?

2: Is there a way to summon your horse or do you need to run to where he roamed to?

1. They probably died after you did, meaning they're gone.

2. Nope

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
upJTboogie said:
Doing the companions missions now and got the breath fire shout. This game is so good. And from reading this thread I've barely scratched the surface 13 hours in.

Question: Where is the best place to buy destruction spells?

I'm pretty sure that, like all other merchants, magic merchants are the same. What they sell is based on what level you are, which fucking sucks.

Zefah said:
I'm pretty sure that, like all other merchants, magic merchants are the same. What they sell is based on what level you are, which fucking sucks.
Oh well that does suck, I hope I get some good shit at level 12.

scy

HTuran said:
Speechcraft and Lockpicking are fairly useless. If you want money, just start pickpocketing people.

Yeah, I'm pretty hard pressed to not get Pickpocketing on any character I make. It'll be a grand exercise of willpower on my next character to completely forgo that tree. I may get Speechcraft then, lol.

But, seriously, I haven't seen a huge need for the tree. More money per sale (or lower cost per item bought) is nice, sure, but ... it's not like you can't just sell more. Even Petty Soul Gems + Iron Dagger with pretty common Enchants can net you a 300-ish value item to sell (or up to like 2000 with some other Enchants).

HTuran

Quick question repost, as it got lost:

What's with the trainers' levels? i.e. Some are 'Common', some are 'Expert'. Is it just the maximum level they can teach to?

scy said:
Yeah, I'm pretty hard pressed to not get Pickpocketing on any character I make. It'll be a grand exercise of willpower on my next character to completely forgo that tree. I may get Speechcraft then, lol.

But, seriously, I haven't seen a huge need for the tree. More money per sale (or lower cost per item bought) is nice, sure, but ... it's not like you can't just sell more. Even Petty Soul Gems + Iron Dagger with pretty common Enchants can net you a 300-ish value item to sell (or up to like 2000 with some other Enchants).
Yeah, it gets to a point where money isn't an issue. I've got a fully upgraded house and 50k in the bank, just by doing thief missions and pickpocketing people. Haven't invested in the pickpocket tree, either.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HTuran said:
Quick question repost, as it got lost:

What's with the trainers' levels? i.e. Some are 'Common', some are 'Expert'. Is it just the maximum level they can teach to?

Yes!

I think Common is up to 50 or so, Expert is up to 75 or so, and Master is up to 90.

Dresden

Zefah said:
Your destruction level, yeah. New tier of spells opened up when destruction hit 40.

Thieves Guild question...
Is there any reason to actually turn in the Skeleton Key? Do you get some equal reward? Unbreakable(?) Lockpick seems too good to toss.

Derrick01

Banned
Confidence Man said:
In Riften? I think you're talking about Whiterun.

The Jarl or any of her people don't seem to have any quests aside from fetching a sword for one of her kids.

There's a quest about skooma dealers given by her I believe. After I did all that I left, did some things around Riften for a few minutes then I had a quest all of a sudden to go back to the Jarl. She gave me the title and house after she said how word was getting around that I was helping Riften.

So I guess you have to do a certain amount of Riften quests first.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dresden said:
Your destruction level, yeah. New tier of spells opened up when destruction hit 40.

If that's the case, then that's cool. No different than having level requirements on certain spells, which I have no problem with.

Are you sure it's only your destruction level, though? I'm pretty sure that the guy in Dragonsreach in Whiterun is selling a lot more books now that I'm level 30 then he did when I first visited.

HTuran

Mechanized said:
Thieves Guild question...
Is there any reason to actually turn in the Skeleton Key? Do you get some equal reward? Unbreakable(?) Lockpick seems too good to toss.
You get the choice of three spell/skills: 1)120s of invisibility when crouching, 2)Beam of darkness that steals 100 damage, 3)Enrage everyone in an area so they attack each other.

It's a tough choice, as they can only be used once a day. On the other hand, lockpicking is super easy and lockpicks cost 6 gold.

I went with invisibility. Looks fucking amazing.

Blizzard

Banned
Zefah said:
Merchants are not the same, and magic merchants are not the same. I'm almost certain.

In particular, the mage at the Jarl's house in whiterun had a nice selection of spells (including frost spike very early on, I think, which I still need to go back and buy). In contrast, people at the mage's college don't even sell frost spike in my game, last I checked, and I'm 2-3 levels higher than I was when I saw it in the earlier store.

In addition, I thought even normal merchants have different sorts of stuff you can buy. One might specializer in odds and ends, another in blacksmith stuff, etc.

HTuran said:
You get the choice of three spell/skills: 1)120s of invisibility when crouching, 2)Beam of darkness that steals 100 damage, 3)Enrage everyone in an area so they attack each other.

It's a tough choice, as they can only be used once a day. On the other hand, lockpicking is super easy and lockpicks cost 6 gold.

Oh those are the
Agents Karliah speaks about? It's weird, she told me about them before we even went to kill Mercer and I didn't have a clue what she was talking about.
Thanks!

So wait, you need to join the Mages Guild to
get the key to Saarthal
. Another quest sent me there, but apparently it's also College of Winterhold-related. That sucks, I don't plan on joining them with this character.

kodt

Banned
1. Does anyone know if it is possible to enchant a weapon with a constant effect? Or are there always charges?

2. Is Chameleon in the game?

lol51

HTuran said:

Treasure Hunter and Golden Touch are what make that lockpick tree. Most chests having +100 gold and more chance of enchanted items = Rich. Also the guild fence having 4000 Gold makes money gathering no sweat.

Pickpocket is useful for: (1) leveling up quick, (2) +100 weight, and (3) buy skillup and pickpocket trainer.

I dont see a benefit for speechcraft. Maybe if you are in a rush can skip sub-quests by persuading. There are many ways to solve problems, while you can persuade a guy for passage you can also kill them.

ttocs

kodt said:
1. Does anyone know if it is possible to enchant a weapon with a constant effect? Or are there always charges?

2. Is Chameleon in the game?

I'm pretty sure it's charges. I have yet to see anything that states otherwise. And not sure about Chameleon.

scy

Blizzard said:
Merchants are not the same, and magic merchants are not the same. I'm almost certain.

In particular, the mage at the Jarl's house in whiterun had a nice selection of spells (including frost spike very early on, I think, which I still need to go back and buy). In contrast, people at the mage's college don't even sell frost spike in my game, last I checked, and I'm 2-3 levels higher than I was when I saw it in the earlier store.

In addition, I thought even normal merchants have different sorts of stuff you can buy. One might specializer in odds and ends, another in blacksmith stuff, etc.

Magic merchants are very much tied to your skill level. There's some spells that are only on certain vendors, yes, but there's still a skill level requirement.

Also of note, the Mage College does indeed sell Frost Spike if memory serves me, though it's only on the Destruction vendor. Last I checked, she had the same spell selection, as far as Destruction spells are concerned, as the Jarl vendor. Which, to be honest, is rather odd :/

HTuran

lol51 said:
Treasure Hunter and Golden Touch are what make that lockpick tree. Most chests having +100 gold and more chance of enchanted items = Rich. Also the guild fence having 4000 Gold makes money gathering no sweat.

Pickpocket is useful for: (1) leveling up quick, (2) +100 weight, and (3) buy skillup and pickpocket trainer.

I dont see a benefit for speechcraft. Maybe if you are in a rush can skip sub-quests by persuading. There are many ways to solve problems, while you can persuade a guy for passage you can also kill them.
Yeah, but really, money doesn't matter. Extra gold in chests means nothing when you're carrying 50k with nothing to buy! Enchanted/rare items are the only benefit I'd like.

Mechanized said:
Oh those are the
Agents Karliah speaks about? It's weird, she told me about them before we even went to kill Mercer and I didn't have a clue what she was talking about.
Thanks!
I think so. There's some really weird dialogue in that questline.
Brynholf told me I would run the guild when it's all over, that was a lie! I went back and everyone was like: "You're new here. I don't trust you!"

Blue Ninja said:
So wait, you need to join the Mages Guild to
get the key to Saarthal
. Another quest sent me there, but apparently it's also College of Winterhold-related. That sucks, I don't plan on joining them with this character.
Quoting for new page. I seem to have a talent for making the last post on a page. ><

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The whole charges aspect of Enchanted weapons make me not want to bother using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom