• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
vaelic said:
1. I had received my first NPC AI to tag along with me. When I died and came back to life, the NPC was nowhere to be found. How do I re-gain them?
H3xum said:
1. They probably died after you did, meaning they're gone.
Actually if you died you would of had to reload a saved game - well, it probably would of went back to the last autosave automatically... so, wherever the NPC was at that point.

Not really sure what you mean "came back to life".

lol51 said:
Treasure Hunter and Golden Touch are what make that lockpick tree. Most chests having +100 gold and more chance of enchanted items = Rich. Also the guild fence having 4000 Gold makes money gathering no sweat.

Pickpocket is useful for: (1) leveling up quick, (2) +100 weight, and (3) buy skillup and pickpocket trainer.

I dont see a benefit for speechcraft. Maybe if you are in a rush can skip sub-quests by persuading. There are many ways to solve problems, while you can persuade a guy for passage you can also kill them.

I've just been picking up random stuff and checking chests, not going out of my way to make money and it says I've "found" 40k so far. There's nothing to buy it seems like. I bought the house in Whiterun and decked it out immediately, with plenty of money left. I check the vendors and while there is an occasional magic item I want, I buy it without a second thought even if it's a couple thousand, I never run out of gold because there doesn't seem like anything to buy! No proper sinks, too much gold in the world unless I just haven't found the proper ones yet. I get hundreds in reward for random easy quests and don't even notice. It's just more in the stack.

ttocs

Zefah said:
The whole charges aspect of Enchanted weapons make me not want to bother using them.
It's really easy to recharge. Just make sure you have soul gems and (at least in the 360 version) when looking at the weapon's screen and you are on your weapon, just hit RB and assign a gem.

The benefits for some are amazing so you're going to be at a disadvantage if you don't.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I only noticed recently that unlike every other Bethesda game I've played, enemies apparently won't follow you through doors. It's saved me in some rough scrapes, but it seems somewhat of an omission.

lol51

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I've just been picking up random stuff and checking chests, not going out of my way to make money and it says I've "found" 40k so far. There's nothing to buy it seems like. I bought the house in Whiterun and decked it out immediately, with plenty of money left. I check the vendors and while there is an occasional magic item I want, I buy it without a second thought even if it's a couple thousand, I never run out of gold because there doesn't seem like anything to buy! No proper sinks, too much gold in the world unless I just haven't found the proper ones yet. I get hundreds in reward for random easy quests and don't even notice. It's just more in the stack.

Yeah I spend 20k rushing skills up without worry of not making it back again. I also think chests reset after a while.

HTuran

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Boom, exactly. You only need one house, nobody sells items better than the ones you own/find. What's there to do with the money?

belvedere

Junior Butler
DarthWoo said:
So I only noticed recently that unlike every other Bethesda game I've played, enemies apparently won't follow you through doors. It's saved me in some rough scrapes, but it seems somewhat of an omission.

Oh yes they do.

Moofers

Anyone got a good place they recommend for a burglary? I'm disappointed because all the rich people I've run into so far don't have anything all that valuable in their homes. The Black-Briar family in particular needs to be taken down a peg, but they don't have squat to take from them.

Blizzard

Banned
scy said:
Magic merchants are very much tied to your skill level. There's some spells that are only on certain vendors, yes, but there's still a skill level requirement.

Also of note, the Mage College does indeed sell Frost Spike if memory serves me, though it's only on the Destruction vendor. Last I checked, she had the same spell selection, as far as Destruction spells are concerned, as the Jarl vendor. Which, to be honest, is rather odd :/
I'll have to check again, but I was convinced they (or whoever I was talking to) didn't have it but did have other destruction spells, which annoyed me since I was wanting to save up gold for that particular spell.

In general I just feel like vendors are not all identical (skill level thing aside). Can anyone else provide feedback that all vendors are identical, or that there are variations?

JWong

Banned
Does anyone have a link to the Rolling Bear video? I can't search for it on youtube.

kodt said:
1. Does anyone know if it is possible to enchant a weapon with a constant effect? Or are there always charges?

2. Is Chameleon in the game?
Is Chameleon permanent invisible even if you take action?

There's a 30 second invisibility in the game that I use all the time. Requires Expert Illusion before you can get it.

stuminus3

Getting a stamina boost from an enchanted 1 handed weapon is priceless for those of us that like to power bash the shit out of everything with our shields.

Doesn't seem like there's much point in choosing both Pick-pocketing and Persuasion - both are skill trees designed around making shit tons of money. From what I've heard, people who choose pick-pocketing are rich beyond belief anyways.

HTuran

Moofers said:
Anyone got a good place they recommend for a burglary? I'm disappointed because all the rich people I've run into so far don't have anything all that valuable in their homes. The Black-Briar family in particular needs to be taken down a peg, but they don't have squat to take from them.
Check businesses' lockboxes.

Zefah said:
The whole charges aspect of Enchanted weapons make me not want to bother using them.

I was like that in Oblivion and was going to be like it in this, but it's really not a big deal. A lot of pre-enchanted stuff you find has a ton of charges on it and if it wears out, just wait until you pick up a filled soul gem, then restore the charges. Having to cast soul trap is dumb, there are just way too many steps for something that should be so simple. You should enchant a weapon and it's enchanted, that's it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Can you save that guy from (Solitude Spoilers)
being executed? Does it do anything?

If you disrupt the execution, the executioner will still go for the person being executed. The person being executed will die in one hit. I got it to the point where I distracted the executioner long enough that the guy getting executed runs off the state. But it soon goes into retard ai mode where it crouches at times. After awhile I lose him while he's running.

Plasmid

Does choosing a main character as a mage really affect how much your armour and melee will be used?

I want a strong mage character, but he needs to be able to use weapons correctly too.

Houston3000 said:
Doesn't seem like there's much point in choosing both Pick-pocketing and Persuasion - both are skill trees designed around making shit tons of money. From what I've heard, people who choose pick-pocketing are rich beyond belief anyways.
If the reason you're picking either of them is to get extra gold, it's a waste. Money falls from the trees without them. You can also get items with enchantments similar to some, such as (items sell for X% more) that you can equip for special occasions.

Squill

Neo Member
JJBro One said:
Am I the only one that thinks that horn helmet looks absolutely ridiculous?

I thought I was going to get sick of it, but it's nice finding them in different styles (Steel, silver, etc).

DarthWoo

Heh, I was training Restoration a bit by jumping around in a blacksmith forge and hurting myself so I could heal myself, and found that somehow setting myself on fire in a forge also trains Destruction.

HTuran

Any hints on finding the 24 stones? I have 3, they've all been stored in wealthy people's houses
or boats ;)
. This quest is pretty crazy without any hints...

DarthWoo said:
I actually noticed some of this to on the PC... not really sure what determined whether an NPC will walk through a door or not. Just yesterday I was in a dungeon full of mages, I opened a door and accidentally alerted a mob that got up and started firing icebolts at me. I closed the door and ran around the corner - waiting for her to come through but she never did. Ended up that I saw her arms clipping through the door as she tried to run through it. I eventually opened the door and killed her.

On the other side of the coin though. I actually tried to use that trick minutes later on a much stronger enemy but he opened the door immediately and rushed at me. I think it's just a intermittent pathing bug, not something you can rely upon for strategy.

DarthWoo

Houston3000 said:
I actually noticed some of this to on the PC... not really sure what determined whether an NPC will walk through a door or not. Just yesterday I was in a dungeon full of mages, I opened a door and accidentally alerted a mob that got up and started firing icebolts at me. I closed the door and ran around the corner - waiting for her to come through but she never did. Ended up that I saw her arms clipping through the door as she tried to run through it. I eventually opened the door and killed her.

On the other side of the coin though. I actually tried to use that trick minutes later on a much stronger enemy but he opened the door immediately and rushed at me. I think it's just a intermittent pathing bug, not something you can rely upon for strategy.

Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but I meant the doors that actually lead to a different area, not the ones that actually open for you between two rooms of the same area.

Derrick01

Banned
HTuran said:
Any hints on finding the 24 stones? I have 3, they've all been stored in wealthy people's houses
or boats ;)
. This quest is pretty crazy without any hints...

I'm really liking that quest because it adds another thing to find in random dungeons and houses. I only have about 8 so far.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think perks are split between tangible character progression and convenience.

HTuran

Derrick01 said:
I'm really liking that quest because it adds another thing to find in random dungeons and houses.
Yeah, it is pretty cool. A nice change from 'go here, kill this guy'. I can just imagine having 23 and pulling my hair out for the last one!

Oh yeah, just remembered something. Anyone know anything about a Bee in a Jar? It's in my misc. inventory, isn't a quest item, isn't wanted by the Thieves' Guild and has some letters inscribed on the lid. So confused!

I feel like my build is pretty much done.

Invis + sneak if I want to feel like the Nightcrawler and annihilate everything in sight without taking any damage, or Ebonyflesh + Elemental Fury if I want to gain 300 armor instantly and annihilate everything in sight in seconds.

Some quick questions....

What can I expect to learn from the Mages college at Winterhold?

Will it help me out a lot in the longrun? Im enrolled now and really want to kind of get a vague idea of what is to come.

Tripwood

Is it possible to have a destruction spells in right hand as main damage dealing source and a shield in the right?
I can't seem to pull it off, and it's fucking up my plans for a heavy armour/shield mage.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
If the reason you're picking either of them is to get extra gold, it's a waste. Money falls from the trees without them. You can also get items with enchantments similar to some, such as (items sell for X% more) that you can equip for special occasions.
I haven't used either yet so I'm not really sure.

I don't feel "money falls from trees" though so to speak... I had to save up quite a bit to buy my house in Whiterun (carrying around Dragon Bones for what seemed like forever) and furnish it. Now I'm back up at 8k or 9k with plans to buy the next house which is 10k I believe. I don't pickpocket at all though, nor do I exploit the economy. I suppose I could spend more time crafting and selling items but I'd rather explore and sell my loot like I've been doing.

JoeBoy101

Blue Ninja said:
So wait, you need to join the Mages Guild to
get the key to Saarthal
. Another quest sent me there, but apparently it's also College of Winterhold-related. That sucks, I don't plan on joining them with this character.

Just found this out last night. But, if your not a magic related character, its only something of a loss. I know which question you're talking about and what it means is out of the two, you can only wear one at a time.

The third piece gives a magicka bonus. The completed amulet gives all three bonuses of the individual ones.

Meier

I guess I need to read through the perks list.. I had no clue about the +100 carrying weight perk under pickpocketing. Haven't used it yet since I am a heavy armor kinda guy and haven't actually broken the law yet.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hell yeah, I took the bandit chief down and got a Dwarven Battleaxe of Fire - burns the target for 25 pts and while they're on fire, they'll take extra damage.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
HTuran said:
Boom, exactly. You only need one house, nobody sells items better than the ones you own/find. What's there to do with the money?
the only reason to buy a new house is for additional bookshelves to store your looted books. oddly enough, it's what i do in real life as well.

scy

Blizzard said:
I'll have to check again, but I was convinced they (or whoever I was talking to) didn't have it but did have other destruction spells, which annoyed me since I was wanting to save up gold for that particular spell.

I'll check again (at work currently) but she should have it. There's one vendor who has an assortment of spells from all schools and I don't think this is on his list (but most his spells aren't normally found as far as I know).

In general I just feel like vendors are not all identical (skill level thing aside). Can anyone else provide feedback that all vendors are identical, or that there are variations?

They're not all identical as there's some NPCs with a specific inventory. Some vendors will carry things others won't. Material quality, Spell tiers, etc. are all tied to Character Level or Skill Level, however, as far as inventory is concerned.

Though, if a vendor has something unique that they sell, it should be there regardless of CL or SL, though I'm not 100% on it. I'll have to double check the one Mage vendor I'm thinking of right now since I'm pretty sure his spells are all Adept level and I am definitely below that on my current Mage for certain schools.

Tripwood said:
Is it possible to have a destruction spells in right hand as main damage dealing source and a shield in the right?
I can't seem to pull it off, and it's fucking up my plans for a heavy armour/shield mage.

Dual wield the spell and then equip the shield? If that doesn't work then I don't know of anything :(

JoeBoy101

Meier said:
I guess I need to read through the perks list.. I had no clue about the +100 carrying weight perk under pickpocketing. Haven't used it yet since I am a heavy armor kinda guy and haven't actually broken the law yet.

There are a lotta locked chests in dem dungeons.

Plus, difficulty of the chest does not prevent you from trying. Just makes it more difficult to succeed.

I mean, I'm doing full up Barbarian and, at level 20+, I have 40+ skill in lockpicking.

No Loot Left Behind.

HTuran

scorcho said:
the only reason to buy a new house is for additional bookshelves to store your looted books. oddly enough, it's what i do in real life as well.
Haha, yeah. I've been taking every book I can find, hoping to get them all.
Will I? Nope!

I did have a worrying bug whereby all my books disappeared from a shelf, so I've been keeping them in the bedside table for now.

DarthWoo said:
Not sure how much of a difference it would make, but I meant the doors that actually lead to a different area, not the ones that actually open for you between two rooms of the same area.
Oh... well yeah, enemies don't follow through those. Don't have too many opportunities to exploit that though save for aggroing the first room of a dungeon and then running back out the entrance. I've used it once or twice during a Blood Dragon fight (run outside, see the dragon landing and attacking and then run back inside to buff and get ready before going out to fight it).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They do actually, depending on the enemy in question, but it bugs out the AI something awful.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looking up the actual myth of the Draugr on wikipedia, these things were pretty fucking broken.

They also had the ability to exert an influence that drives people insane, sort of like the precursors to the cosmic horrors in Lovecraft works.

....indirectly killing them by driving them mad, and drinking their blood. Animals feeding near the grave of a draugr may be driven mad by the creature's influence.

Draugr are also noted as being able to drive living people insane

ksimm

Was it something I ate?

4lfwap.jpg

I'm the most powerful Mage in Skyrim, but seriously I want my head back!

2ppeziv.jpg

Any ideas? lol

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I broke down and bought two copies; one for me, one for my wife. There was no way we were going to be able to share one copy of the game, especially since she's been waiting for it since Oblivion.

Now it's just another 5 hours until I can get home and play it. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom