• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenck

Cudder said:
I'm a Nord but after seeing some videos of how cool some of the dual handed destruction spells look, I think I want to become a magical Nord. That weird?

A smart Nord I see. Take advantage of anything in this game. Magic is really awesome and should be appreciated.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Tenck said:
What have you been having problems with? Only bug I've come across is Skeevers magically getting stuck in the roof of a hallway in a dungeon.

Oh and the one bug that had me going through solid objects. But I think that's because I attacked the Jarl and messed up with quest line because I attempted to kill him.
I wrestled with the character creator because the menu system kept freezing. Not the game just the menus. Took me 45 minutes to make my character and I knew exactly what I wanted to be (Battlemage High Elf with proficiencies in Alteration and Destruction).

Does the PC version come with the world editor this time?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blue Ninja said:
Huh?
The quest told me I should bring a follower there, it didn't specifically tell me who. I wanted to convince the priestess, I don't like her. :lol
Oh, what? I think we're talking about different things. In my quest
a guy is investigating some house and wanted me to help him. We go in and a bit in everything goes red and the deadra tells me to kill him, then he says go further "into the bowels" for my reward, which was a cave dug out from the back of the house.

My current character is a Wood Elf Archer/Illusionist:
Archery
Illusion
Alteration
Alchemy

My next character will most likely either be an Orc Warlock (Destruction, Conjuration, Enchanting, Alchemy) or an Redguard Paladin (Block, One-Hand, Restoration, Smithing). I may make both and switch back and forth.

Acidote said:
Hey guys, I just found my first big bug.

I was at the Whiterun inn, just chillin'... and suddenly everybody there died. Innkeeper, wife, possible companion, drunk, cook, bard, townsfolk... Everybody. A loud blurry mass of screams and they all dropped dead.

I reloaded a quick save and everything went fine, it was fun to see, but I would have not found it fun if my "save ocd" wasn't there and I lost a while of gameplay.
dragon

Durante

I hope all you Spellswords, Paladins and whatever realize that being a half-mage only makes you half-awesome.

Shaheed79 said:
Does the PC version come with the world editor this time?
The Toolkit doesn't ship with the game but it should be released "soon".

LOL.

So if you stack up 100% reduction in spell cost in a particular school, all spells cast in the school cost 0 magicka. It doesn't stack multiplicatively, it stacks additively. This is fairly gamebreaking as it makes it possible to spam extremely high cost spells (like destruction spells) at no cost as well as rendering the perks that reduce magicka costs of spells useless. It also makes +magicka and regeneration bonuses relatively useless as well unless you dabble in other trees and need magicka to cast those spells.

Alchemy

krameriffic said:
LOL.

So if you stack up 100% reduction in spell cost in a particular school, all spells cast in the school cost 0 magicka. It doesn't stack multiplicatively, it stacks additively. This is fairly gamebreaking as it makes it possible to spam extremely high cost spells (like destruction spells) at no cost as well as rendering the perks that reduce magicka costs of spells useless. It also makes +magicka and regeneration bonuses relatively useless as well unless you dabble in other trees.

Welcome to Elder Scrolls. There have been extremely effective ways to break the game, but thats half the fun. You spend so many hours clawing your way up the ranks, only to become a god. I have very fond memories of flying over cities in Morrowind and machine gunning everything to death with rapid fire fireballs. And swimming in lava while gaining health.

Zeliard

Yeah, seems like an oddly powerful set of perks. You need to have the spell type at a skill of 100 though you get there eventually. For some you can cheese your way to 100, but cheese is for the weak.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
So just from scanning the last couple pages of this thread I've found that you can:

1 - Hotkey items to the left/right buttons on the dpad

2 - Use soul gems to refill enchament charges

3 - Name your weapons?? Did I read that right?

Mind Blown.

Dice said:
Oh, what? I think we're talking about different things. In my quest
a guy is investigating some house and wanted me to help him. We go in and a bit in everything goes red and the deadra tells me to kill him, then he says go further "into the bowels" for my reward, which was a cave dug out from the back of the house.
That's the
Molag Bal
quest. I did that one, and more than happily killed that guy, too. He had it coming. :lol

Hmm, if I can
take that Argonian thief in Solitude with me and gut him, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Guy's annoying.

stufte

krameriffic said:
LOL.

So if you stack up 100% reduction in spell cost in a particular school, all spells cast in the school cost 0 magicka. It doesn't stack multiplicatively, it stacks additively. This is fairly gamebreaking as it makes it possible to spam extremely high cost spells (like destruction spells) at no cost as well as rendering the perks that reduce magicka costs of spells useless. It also makes +magicka and regeneration bonuses relatively useless as well unless you dabble in other trees and need magicka to cast those spells.

Yah in Oblivion, you could make an armor set of 100% Chameleon. You could walk around attacking people and they'd aggro for a split second, then forget anything ever happened to them. It was amazing.

Slermy

EschatonDX said:
I gotta say, the stealth in the Thieves guild missions was way more emphasized than the Dark Brotherhood ones.

Also they've gotta find a way to incorporate magic better into stealth builds in the future. Why can't i snipe people with spells from the darkness instead of using arrows?

Level up Illusion. There's a perk that makes spell casting quiet. There are also runes you can use (though the placement of the rune is NOT quiet) and there is also the Muffle spell.

Blizzard

Banned
stutte said:
The containers not owned by you WILL reset, though I'm not sure of what the circumstances are that make them reset, I just know that it's not a safe long term storage idea.
How can you tell if you own a container? I used a chest in my room in the mage's college, since I figured it was MY room, but I'm guessing the only things you really "own" are if you buy a house?

I enchanted an Ebony Sword with Soul Trap and named it Soulreaver. Badass.

I want Umbra or Goldbrand. :(

Dawnbreaker and Dragonbane are pretty cool, though.

Tenck

Thanks guys!

One quick question about enchanting. If I disenchant something (say bracers that give 15% easier chance to pick locks) can I keep the enchantment and use it on multiple items? Or just bracers for a one time enchantment?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Durante said:
I hope all you Spellswords, Paladins and whatever realize that being a half-mage only makes you half-awesome.

The Toolkit doesn't ship with the game but it should be released "soon".

*Does Jim Carrey Vanilla Ice dance*

PC master race and all that jazz.

I hope they brought back the Acrobat Wall Climbing skill and the wagon option for the horse. Both of those additions made life as a Thief much more fun in Daggerfall than in Morrowind or Oblivion.

pringles

GhaleonEB said:
Been thinking through my character build and planned quests, and I'm leaning toward saving the main quest for my second character, who will be more of a spell-sword. I'm playing ultra-sneaky right now, targeting the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood quest lines, along with a gaggle of side quests.

Second time round, I'll do the main quest, Companions and mage guild quest lines. Currently debating between advancing the main quest to the ponit where dragons start showing up or not. Leaning toward not, so that my second game has new elements in the world (shouts and dragons, namely).

I just wanna ride around unmolested and sneak about for now, and work on this character.

That's the opposite of what I did with Oblivion, but I'm in a sneaky/murderous/exploration mood, not for heavy battles.
Interesting idea! You're almost convincing me to do the same. I haven't advanced the main quest to make dragons appear yet either (lvl18 now) and I'm playing a sneaky archer/thief Wood Elf.

I usually do everything with one character in these games but in this game it seems trying different playstyles would be a lot of fun. At the same time it sounds like you can get pretty good at everything when you get high level.. hmm decisions decisions.

Would be cool to try a dark elf Battlemage or a two-handed Nord warrior..

mxgt

Banned
So I just wandered across the
Boethiah Cultist
. ouch. takes a right beating too, at least 5 dual cast incinerates to take it down.

Alchemy

Tenck said:
Thanks guys!

One quick question about enchanting. If I disenchant something (say bracers that give 15% easier chance to pick locks) can I keep the enchantment and use it on multiple items? Or just bracers for a one time enchantment?

When you disenchant an item, you learn that base enchantment. So you can use that enchantment on whatever armor type it works on as long as you have soul gems to feed it. The strength of the enchantment is also dependent on the strength of the soul used.

Aselith

krameriffic said:
LOL.

Good.

Wanace

Tenck said:
Thanks guys!

When you disenchant something, you only learn the actual enchantment, so you'd learn Fortify Lockpicking. If your enchanting sucks and you use a petty soul gem, maybe you'd be able to re-enchant an item with 1% Fortify Lockpicking. If you're an awesome enchanter and use a Grand Soul gem, maybe you'd get 30% Fortify Lockpicking.

You only need to disenchant an item once, so once you've disenchanted an item with Fortify Lockpicking you will never be able to do it again since you already know the enchantment. The rest (%, etc.) is up to your enchanting skill and the soul gem you use.

Hope that helps.

Trying to kill Lydia, as there's no way to get her out of my Whiterun house (she constantly sits at the table in my room and watches me sleep...brr...). I sent her up against the Giant camp outside of Whiterun. She got beaten down a few times until she was hit by a giant so hard that she went flying into the air and never came back down again.

I thought she was finished and went on my merry way, only to see the "Your follower got tired of waiting, etc" message a few days later. I wasn't incredibly surprised - she must have landed so far away that I didn't see her hit.

Any suggestions on how to kill this woman without murdering her in cold-blood?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
pix said:
Posted this on reddit but I want to post this here as well.

So I want to make all PC users aware of this mod as it completely changes the way the game looks for the better. I took some screenshots showing the difference, and I can't go back after using this.

Comparison Screens (Ultra settings)
Daytime: http://imgur.com/a/WNdEr
Nightime: http://imgur.com/a/Y2lvd
You can download the mod here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
The effects look really gaudy and overdone to me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Esch

Banned
Marcurio is the alpha companion to bring along. Put a good blade on him and he's the only backup you'll ever need. Love running through a tomb with (dark b spoilers)
Lucien Lachance
and going nuts.

Aselith

Alchemy said:
When you disenchant an item, you learn that base enchantment. So you can use that enchantment on whatever armor type it works on as long as you have soul gems to feed it. The strength of the enchantment is also dependent on the strength of the soul used.
Tip for bow users, get an item with soultrap enchant then disenchant it and add to a powerful bow with a very short duration. I did 2 sec with 70 charges. Now I don't run out of souls.

Max

I am not Max
pix said:
Posted this on reddit but I want to post this here as well.

So I want to make all PC users aware of this mod as it completely changes the way the game looks for the better. I took some screenshots showing the difference, and I can't go back after using this.

Comparison Screens (Ultra settings)
Daytime: http://imgur.com/a/WNdEr
Nightime: http://imgur.com/a/Y2lvd
You can download the mod here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
Over-saturation is never for the better

Seanspeed

Banned
3chopl0x said:
I highly recommend people finish the main quest, you get some awesome new shouts and get to see one of the coolest areas.

It's actually pretty awesome, my favorite Beth story so far.
About 40 hours in and I've finally decided I should trek my way up to High Hrothgar. Probably do a main quest or two(or three if I'm really enjoying them) and then get back to just wandering the fuck around.

And again, thanks guys for letting me know about mapping things to the left/right buttons on the d-pad. So incredibly helpful.

Zeliard

EschatonDX said:
Marcurio is the alpha companion to bring along. Put a good blade on him and he's the only backup you'll ever need.

Marcurio doesn't need a blade. He just obliterates fools with fire and lightning spells.

Echoplx

Seanspeed said:
About 40 hours in and I've finally decided I should trek my way up to High Hrothgar. Probably do a main quest or two(or three if I'm really enjoying them) and then get back to just wandering the fuck around.

And again, thanks guys for letting me know about mapping things to the left/right buttons on the d-pad. So incredibly helpful.

It doesn't take too long to finish anyway, there's no 'ending' either, you just continue playing. Was nice not being forced to sit through credits.

ezekial45

Banned
I think I'm doing the Theives guild wrong. I'm supposed to meet Brynjolf in the Ragged Falgon in the Ratway, but everyone there is hostile.

Is this supposed to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom