• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Ninja said:
Nice. :p

I'm already starting to think about what characters I'm going to build next, and I'm not even done with Wulf yet. :p Once I've finished the main quest, the legion questline and cleared every dungeon in the game I'm moving on to character number 2, so that'll likely take a while still.

I'm currently leaning towards a Dunmer, either a battlemage or a thief/assassin.
Hah, yeah, my first was an Altmer Battle-Mage named Zetheles. He's still going strong (and becoming almost godlike), but I've got my next few characters planned out, too. My next character will be a nice-guy Nord warrior who has to come to terms with his inherent ferocity (which may lead him down dark paths). After that, a thief is probably in the works. Maybe a female Argonian.

Echoplx

I highly recommend people finish the main quest, you get some awesome new shouts and get to see one of the coolest areas.

It's actually pretty awesome, my favorite Beth story so far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Door2Dawn said:
You know what?

Fuck magic. Just fuck it. It's so much easier to just pick up a big ol' two hander and go to town.
Magic is awesome. Most encounters I burn the fuck out of my enemy and then finish him off with a nice THWACK to the head with my mace.

sfedai0

Banned
Whats the learning curve on this game? Let me preface this by saying the only TES game Ive played was on Xbox and I was not particularly impressed. Is this game open like the Fallout series, just set in a fantasy setting?

Door2Dawn said:
Too bad it's almost impossible to kite someone in this game.
Fortunately I have Stoneskin and Lightning Cloak. Combine that with a summoned Atronach and a Fireball spell and I become a very unpleasant enemy to engage at close quarters.

I'm a battle-mage, though, so I get the best of both worlds.

Wallach

Door2Dawn said:
Too bad it's almost impossible to kite someone in this game.

I can kite just fine in this game. It's not quite as brainless as S + left click like it was in the past, but still plenty doable. Unnecessary as a conjurer most of the time though, especially given how powerful crowd control shouts are.

And that quest has the best ending ever. Well, not really, but I certainly didn't see it coming. :lol

Also, I just noticed something in the Quest Journal today...
Main quests, sidequests, guild quests and daedric quests each have their own different header
. I never noticed that before.

Door2Dawn said:
You know what?

Fuck magic. Just fuck it. It's so much easier to just pick up a big ol' two hander and go to town.
Sword and shield, bro, sword and shield.

Tenck

I love Skyrim, but I can't see myself playing another epic character again!!

Hopefully I am lying to myself, and go with a melee character next :eek:

Right now I'm going the Archer/Mage with that flame witch thingamabob. What sucks is when anyone even lands a hit on me :/

Back away fools, redirect your attention to my witch!!!

mkenyon

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Nice. :p

I'm already starting to think about what characters I'm going to build next, and I'm not even done with Wulf yet. :p Once I've finished the main quest, the legion questline and cleared every dungeon in the game I'm moving on to character number 2, so that'll likely take a while still.

I'm currently leaning towards a Dunmer, either a battlemage or a thief/assassin.
I have a Dunmer battlemage assassin. It's pretty rad. Assassinate as much as possible, and if the shit hits the fan, here comes fireballs from both hands. Level 13 now, pretty good combo so far.

I always play Dunmer since Morrowind popped my Elder Scrolls cherry, though I did play a Nord on my first Morrowind playthrough. Have a soft spot in my heart for the Dunmer because of that game.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I can't believe that I was actually stupid enough to buy an ES game at launch. Stupid reviewers. Every ES game got rave reviews dating back to Arena and every ES game was subsequently buggy enough as to be nearly unplayable upon release. From the Character creator on down my experience has been a hassle.

stufte

Complistic said:
So we careful with who you have drinks with in this game, lmao.

HAHA! NO WAY! That was one of the best side quests I've run across so far in the game, and one of the best end-quest loot reward!

Tenck

Shaheed79 said:
I can't believe that I was actually stupid enough to buy an ES game at launch. Stupid reviewers. Every ES game got rave reviews dating back to Arena and every ES game was subsequently buggy enough as to be nearly unplayable upon release. From the Character creator on down my experience has been a hassle.

What have you been having problems with? Only bug I've come across is Skeevers magically getting stuck in the roof of a hallway in a dungeon.

Oh and the one bug that had me going through solid objects. But I think that's because I attacked the Jarl and messed up with quest line because I attempted to kill him.

Has anyone tried storing items in just random locations? I've been using a barrel outside the blacksmith's in white run. Stuff has stayed put for the last couple of days. Seems like a house is a waste if you're just looking for storage. Just seeing if anyone else has had similar luck.

mkenyon

Banned
Is there anything important on the loading screen tips? Playing this game with it installed on my Corsair Force GT SSD, and I literally can't even get three words in before it finishes loading. Feel like I'm missing out.

Zeliard

My experience has been remarkably bug-free, I must say. I haven't even had weird physics glitches outside of that usual - albeit rare - one where you enter a room and various items just go flying.

stufte

SmellyHands said:
Has anyone tried storing items in just random locations? I've been using a barrel outside the blacksmith's in white run. Stuff has stayed put for the last couple of days. Seems like a house is a waste if you're just looking for storage. Just seeing if anyone else has had similar luck.

The containers not owned by you WILL reset, though I'm not sure of what the circumstances are that make them reset, I just know that it's not a safe long term storage idea.

balddemon

Banned
ok. so i got my 100 smithing. now i want to enchant some sweet dragon armor with magicka enhancements. heres the priority in case anyone cares

1. magicka regen
2. +base magicka
3. lower destruction cost
4. lower conjuration cost
5..x doesn't matter

anyways is it possible that i can enchant my own gear as good as something like the gear you get from the mage quests? because i love that top and it looks sick, but i want full dragon armor. obviously i'd need 100 enchanting so i can put 2 enchantments on there. then will i need to improve them as well?

Tenck said:
What have you been having problems with? Only bug I've come across is Skeevers magically getting stuck in the roof of a hallway in a dungeon.
My first major bug was the incredible persistent arrows stuck in my hide. I had an arrow stuck in my Altmer's clavicle and an ice shard stuck in his gut. I had to get shot by more arros for those to go away. Also had the game's textures strobe in and out after I left a foggy dungeon (the one where the Nord wants you to help him kill a necromancer). It stayed like that until I shut off my console and reloaded.

30 hours in, I've only had it freeze once. That's a landmark for a Bethesda game.

GeoramA

haha

Began a fight with a Dragon near Markarth and notice it's health was being completely drained. When I got closer it died and a group of Imperial soldiers were standing around it. They killed it fast. When I went to loot the corpse, the imperials demanded 100 gold from me. I refused and killed them.

Random shit like this is why I love this game.

Zeliard

stutte said:
The containers not owned by you WILL reset, though I'm not sure of what the circumstances are that make them reset, I just know that it's not a safe long term storage idea.

Many things in the game reset after three in-game days have passed. I was never one for storing stuff in random places but that's probably the case with that as well.

NBtoaster

mkenyon said:
Is there anything important on the loading screen tips? Playing this game with it installed on my Corsair Force GT SSD, and I literally can't even get three words in before it finishes loading. Feel like I'm missing out.

I think it's just lore and basic tips.
I do like reading the lore and spinning the models around while it loads, but even on a regular 7200rpm its super fast loading.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Blue Ninja said:
And that quest has the best ending ever. Well, not really, but I certainly didn't see it coming. :lol

Also, I just noticed something in the Quest Journal today...
Main quests, sidequests, guild quests and daedric quests each have their own different header
. I never noticed that before.

Sword and shield, bro, sword and shield.
You can't half ass magic in an ES game. You either make a character adept at magic or you leave it alone all together except maybe a few useful Restoration spells.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Blue Ninja said:
So, the (Deadric Spoilers)
Boethiah quest
demands that you
murder someone
before being allowed to speak? That sucks.
No way.
That guy completely accepted his fate, which showed that he knew the risks of going after a deadra. "You first" he said, and then I did a cutscene kill of me backspinning his head right off with my mace. I guess the deadra was correct in his estimation of our strength levels.
You gotta e a bit ruthless in this game. No heroes are totally clean.

xxczx

mkenyon said:
Nah, it's either tips that you'll forget in seconds and then get mad when it shows up again or something about the place you're going to. Like if I was going to Riften, it'll say Riften is most known for the Thieves Guild.

GeoramA said:
haha

Began a fight with a Dragon near Markarth and notice it's health was being completely drained. When I got closer it died and a group of Imperial soldiers were standing around it. They killed it fast. When I went to loot the corpse, the imperials demanded 100 gold from me. I refused and killed them.

Random shit like this is why I love this game.
Those were bandits, dawg. Those scamps try that trick all the time. I've killed them twice already.

Deified Data said:
Just by casting. Though sometimes my conjuration skill will go up when I've got a bound weapon - not even hitting someone with a weapon, just standing their with it summoned - so I'm not entirely sure about this one. It definitely has nothing to do with damage, though.

Does wielding a bound weapon also level that respective weapon skill, ie one handed weapons?

Tenck

mkenyon said:

You're not missing much. Talks about the Ancient civilizations, stones (like the thief one or assasin one(and even then it just tells you what they do for one day)).

Honestly, I wish I could avoid them like you :/

Shaheed79 said:
You can't half ass magic in an ES game. You either make a character adept at magic or you leave it alone all together except maybe a few useful Restoration spells.
A battlemage definitely wouldn't be as tough as a health/stamina-focused warrior. I might give it a shot, though.

Durante

Door2Dawn said:
You know what?

But that's exactly why magic is so awesome. You have to adopt your strategy to the situation, you have to be ready at all times with your buffs and summons, and if you mess up once you're dead. On the other hand you can lay waste to numerous enemies in seconds, the powers of Oblivion heed your call, and the realm trembles in your wake. That's exactly how magic-based gameplay should play out, and how it never did in Elder Scrolls games. Huge props to Bethesda for this.

I just need someone to mod in Levitation and it will be perfect.

mkenyon said:
Heh, this actually annoys me as well. The game loads so fast that I have no chance at all of reading the tips or looking at the art.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It sounds like outside of money, Spellswords have a pretty easy time in the game compared to light armor characters.

This seems especially true if you're investing in the Juggernaut Heavy Armor perk.

I'm using Destruction and one handed swords, and rarely have much trouble. I pull out a shield if things are getting a little hairy, and have a dual cast restoration to heal myself up.

Cudder

I'm a Nord but after seeing some videos of how cool some of the dual handed destruction spells look, I think I want to become a magical Nord. That weird?

TheMan

So sorry if this has been asked but this thread is just too massive. Numerous times I've experienced a certain bug with Lydia- she'll attack an enemy using a magic staff that emits lightning. Even after the enemy is dead she'll keep shooting lighting. Eventually she stops attacking but she'll then stand still until I reload the area. Is this issue being addressed with the patch?

thetrin

Cudder said:
I'm a Nord but after seeing some videos of how cool some of the dual handed destruction spells look, I think I want to become a magical Nord. That weird?
Dual Cast Flames is fun. It's like shooting a constant hadouken at enemies.

Dice said:
No way.
That guy completely accepted his fate, which showed that he knew the risks of going after a deadra. "You first" he said, and then I did a cutscene kill of me backspinning his head right off with my mace. I guess the deadra was correct in his estimation of our strength levels.
You gotta e a bit ruthless in this game. No heroes are totally clean.
Huh?
The quest told me I should bring a follower there, it didn't specifically tell me who. I wanted to convince the priestess, I don't like her. :lol

And imo there's a difference between being a bit ruthless (leading an Elder Dragon right into the middle of a Stormcloak encampment and letting it go to town) and just chopping someone's head off for no reason. :p

GeoramA said:
Really? They were pretty fucking tough for bandits.
Bandit leaders then, probably.

Blue Ninja said:
A battlemage definitely wouldn't be as tough as a health/stamina-focused warrior. I might give it a shot, though.
Generally you trade brute strength for flexibility, though with a level cap of 50 you can excell at just about whatever you want.

GhaleonEB

Been thinking through my character build and planned quests, and I'm leaning toward saving the main quest for my second character, who will be more of a spell-sword. I'm playing ultra-sneaky right now, targeting the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood quest lines, along with a gaggle of side quests.

Second time round, I'll do the main quest, Companions and mage guild quest lines. Currently debating between advancing the main quest to the ponit where dragons start showing up or not. Leaning toward not, so that my second game has new elements in the world (shouts and dragons, namely).

I just wanna ride around unmolested and sneak about for now, and work on this character.

That's the opposite of what I did with Oblivion, but I'm in a sneaky/murderous/exploration mood, not for heavy battles.

Zeliard

Cudder said:

You're pretty wise, for a Nord.

Acidote

Hey guys, I just found my first big bug.

I was at the Whiterun inn, just chillin'... and suddenly everybody there died. Innkeeper, wife, possible companion, drunk, cook, bard, townsfolk... Everybody. A loud blurry mass of screams and they all dropped dead.

I reloaded a quick save and everything went fine, it was fun to see, but I would have not found it fun if my "save ocd" wasn't there and I lost a while of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom