• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hit level 21 tonight.

I've been grinding smithing, alchemy, restoration, destruction, one-handed, blocking and lockpicking.

I haven't been using stealth or achery much, but those things I'll probably use at a higher level on low level characters / dungeons as I build them up.

Anyway, some highlights from my playthrough today:

-
Bloodlet Throne was rad. Killed the master vampire
, it was thoroughly creepy and insane at the same time.
-Got attacked on the road by Thalmor Justicars. They killed me, when I went back through that same spot, they didn't appear. I hate them. Most annoying enemies the game coming from a lore point of view.
-Falkreath's Jarl is a jerk. But I'm still a Thane for that hold.
-My enchanted greatsword is fucking amazing.
-Encountered my first Blood Dragon, in Falkreath. Every time I visit there the dragon's skeleton just hovers around the area.
-I was in the tundra near Throat of the World, when I saw a dragon.
Only this dragon didn't attack me. It just flew around near the mountain, I did everything to get it's attention but nothing happened. It just roared and went away.
What gives?
-I ascended the 7000 steps up to High Hrothgar. I demolished everything in my path.
-I thought the
training sequence with the Greybeards was very well done. Can't wait to have the full version of Unrelenting Force.
-I got the first shout for Whirlwind Sprint. <3
-I tried killing the Greybeards, in fact, one of them let me take a few swipes at him but let it go. Eventually he got fed up and just used a shout to freeze me into ice. I didn't die, I was just lying there unable to move. There was no death prompt or load screen.
-I stole a book from the Greybeards monastery, then one of them came up to me and just took the book back. Chill.
-Some girl in Falkreath hates bears.
-I've not done much of the A Night to Remember quest as I'm still working on other things, but
Ysolda came up to me and told me I was supposed to get married. I now have to go retrieve the ring and most probably I'll find out who I was supposed to marry.
I'm going to love this quest.
-Fought my first Wispmother. Terrifying.
-Took out two forts with bandits in them.
-I got decapitated by a bandit chief. I didn't think that was possible.
-Went into Shrouded Hearth Barrow for that quest near Ivarstead.
The guy in there went insane and pretended to act like a ghost. He had been there for months looking for the sapphire claw. Went back to the innkeeper who gave me this quest and showed him the guy's journal. He then rewarded me with the sapphire claw. I love shit like that.

Dragnet

I always liked the loneliness and solitude of TES games, but playing a Dungeon earlier with Lydia on one side and reanimated Mages on the other helping me fight made me think that this game would be fuck awesome with co-op dungeons. Seriously, just blitzing through rooms and enemies with people at my side was so much fun. Leave the multiplayer out of anything other than dungeons though, or just have a small number of players per world, 8 or so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dragnet said:
I always liked the loneliness and solitude of TES games, but playing a Dungeon earlier with Lydia on one side and reanimated Mages on the other helping me fight made me think that this game would be fuck awesome with co-op dungeons. Seriously, just blitzing through rooms and enemies with people at my side was so much fun. Leave the multiplayer out of anything other than dungeons though, or just have a small number of players per world, 8 or so.

I think it would be just about the coolest thing ever if you could set it up like a Minecraft server and have multiple people in your Skyrim world.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
EasyTGT said:
has anyone had any success with unarmed? I just started a new Khajit, gonna make him a mystical ninja type with unarmed and illusion/conjuration. I'll be using mainly unarmed and bound weapons but it seems like there is really no help for anyone attempting pure unarmed build... there's only one perk, thats in heavy armor, for unarmed... pretty lame.

Well... you can get enchantments that raise unarmed... this stacks with the +15 from their natural race ability, it's pretty good.

My Kat owns every tavern brawl.

Esch

Banned
I beat missing in action by leveling a bit, bringing Marcurio, summoning spectral assassin, and just going nuts. One of the few tougher quests in game.

zethren

Banned
Dragnet said:

Yeah, a multiplayer co-op similar to how Diablo 2 handled it would work out I would think. The enemies and loot would scale to how many players are in the "room/server/game/etc". Think it could be done, without putting the single player experience at much risk.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I should have lvl'd enchantment instead of alchemy.

Ugh... I wanted to poison people but it's not really working out for me. And enchantments are so much more powerful.

Spokeys

Are diamonds, garnets, rubies and the like pretty much only useful for selling? I've been hoarding them thinking they might be useful for something but if not, i'll just sell them and get the gold.

Timber

Still not sure which side of the civil war I'm gonna be on. I was in Winterhold earlier and these Imperials attacked and got WRECKT by the Stormcloak guards, so I'm thinking the rebels are a good bet. But they let my people live in squalor in Windhelm and are generally a bunch of supremacist assholes. I'll probably win the war for them and murder them all afterwards.

Clevinger

-Fought my first Wispmother. Terrifying.

Oh man. I fought one last night. She kicked my ass completely and I ran across a river to get away from her only to find a fucking troll running toward me. Thankfully it didn't care about me and it crossed the river to try and kill her. The Wispmother killed him in a few hits. After that, she got stuck in the river's current against a rock and I just kept pelting her with arrows. She sent a shit load of copies of herself after me (I had to hop all around on the river's stones to keep away from them), but she finally died. Then those copies died with one hit each.

It was terrifying, but awesome.

Fjordson

Spokeys said:
Are diamonds, garnets, rubies and the like pretty much only useful for selling? I've been hoarding them thinking they might be useful for something but if not, i'll just sell them and get the gold.
I second this question.

Alchemy

Evolved1 said:
I should have lvl'd enchantment instead of alchemy.

Ugh... I wanted to poison people but it's not really working out for me. And enchantments are so much more powerful.

You want both leveled. So you can make potions that fortify your skills and go crazy with them.

Fortify Enchanting Potion -> Fortify Alchemy Enchantments -> Repeat until you reach all the caps and become an item creating god. I'm throwing in smithing into the cycle just to top things off.

Spokeys said:

They are alchemy ingredients. For instance, an invisibility potion calls for diamond

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Forbet what I asked about the digital guide. I realized you can sort of check it out on Prima's website. Man, it blows. Wikis for the game will absolutely destroy it in due time.

anddo0 said:
Red Eagle wow! That was one tough fight.
Hardest one I've played in the game yet.
I gave the sword to Lydia. It has been great for her.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Spokeys said:

You can use them to make necklaces and rings with blacksmithing, which you can then enchant, but its not really worth it so I just sell them.

If you really need a ring or necklace you can just buy one.

BrettWeir

Ive got over 40 hours into this game, but god damn. It's CTD'ing every 5 minutes now. I've done the sound "fix" (yeah....).

They need to get on the damned ball and fix this crap ASAP
Because Skyrim is crack. I NEED it!

Deacan said:
You can use them to make necklaces and rings with blacksmithing, which you can then enchant, but its not really worth it so I just sell them.

If you really need a ring or necklace you can just buy one.
The jewelry tends to sell better than the ingredients used to make them, so it's worth it.

Visceir

So I spent the better half of my evening doing the Thief Guild quest after the whole Nightingale thing.

I started doing the little thief guild missions (heist, fishing etc.)
in hopes I would eventually get somewhere with it and after 7 - 8 missions I got an unique mission where I ended up getting an additional merchant with its' own store into the thief guild. Had to do this for about 4 times.

Each time I restored the thief guild honor in a town and ended up getting more members into the thief guild. Another merchant, alchemist, blacksmith and there were some new NPC's walking around, one explained how exactly he ended up in the guild.

Bonuses and items I got from the whole row of quests:
*merchants in most towns who accept stolen goods
*guild master armor set that gave massive bonuses to lockpicking, pickpocketing and discount + additional weight capacity
*amulet that makes almost any persuasion work.
*guild treasure chest key. One of the members said I'd be getting a cut from all the loot but I didn't bother checking up on it if it fills up with gold and how fast it does...I'll check it tomorrow.
*armguards that give 25% bow bonus
+ ~15 000 in gold that accumulated from doing all those quests.

Eventually everyone showed up and they officially made me the guild leader.

My character is overpowered now when using bows, so I adapted a new playstyle and for the first time in the game used a melee weapon, a dagger. I cleared an entire dungeon by just doing stealth backstab kills (30x dmg), was really fun and I found a love for the shout that allows me to see all living beings in the area.

61 hours in now, lvl 37. 7 perks unused, not sure what to do with those. 400 people killed, I'm starting to slowly think that when it comes to me and dragons then the dragons might actually be the lesser of the two evils.

Also, that torture chamber in Dark Brotherhood guild sanctuary is really messed up, but I suppose I could always use those people there to power my enchanted weapons :D

Edit: I really wish this game had the Assassin's Creed guild managing system where I could assign jobs to my thieves and assassins. That'd be cool.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Deified Data said:
The jewelry tends to sell better than the ingredients used to make them, so it's worth it.

Ah, I may give it ago then.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is there a better understood way to trigger A Night To Remember yet? Last I saw in here people were saying to go to the inn in Whiterun and talk to a guy. I've been in every inn on the map a couple times and seen no such guy.

Dice

Deified Data said:
That is, if it's early in the game where you actually still have things to buy.

Esch

Banned
Dual wielding fully perked out combined with the shout that raises your weapon speed is ridiculous. Guaranteed kill on anything ive encountered so far.

Echoplx

Blue Ninja said:
Wait 'till you meet an Elder Dragon.

Anywhere I can go to find one? Or is that part of the level scaling shit? I already have the most powerful weapon/armor in the game so I shouldn't have to wait to level :<

Tenck

Looking for a particular song that starts when you fight. Don't know how many there are, but if anyone can just post any song they think it is, I'd be grateful.

Noricart

Emerson said:
Is there a better understood way to trigger A Night To Remember yet? Last I saw in here people were saying to go to the inn in Whiterun and talk to a guy. I've been in every inn on the map a couple times and seen no such guy.
He's at
The Bee and Barb in Riften

Dakota47

Funny how this game works. I was about to look online on how to join the Dark Brotherhood when the Brotherhood 'found' me. Looks like I am going to put all my other activities in Skyrim on hold for a while.

pringles

Where is everyone getting a hold of better soul gems semi-early in the game? I'm lvl 18 and seems all I find are petty gems.

I'm trying to do more smithing and enchanting but everything I enchant gets like 1% effect because (I assume) mostly my poor soul gems.

Do you find a lot of them in certain dungeons or do I have to buy them at the super-expensive prices (find myself not having much money, it goes away quickly when you buy training, and merchants really rob you when you sell them loot)?

odin toelust said:
They are alchemy ingredients. For instance, an invisibility potion calls for diamond
I was pretty surprised when I found a pearl that was counted as an 'ingredient'.

And I could then eat it to find out one of it's effects. LOL.

pringles said:
Where is everyone getting a hold of better soul gems semi-early in the game? I'm lvl 18 and seems all I find are petty gems.
Steal them, some NPCs have them lying around their houses (The Archmage at the Mage College for example). Just wait until he's in the other room and take them. Use them to enchant your gear, the gem will be tagged as stolen but the item you craft from it won't be. No one else is the wiser... you don't need good sneak skill or anything.

Dice

Deified Data said:
Such is the dilemma of every game featuring currency. Can't be helped.
They (any developer) should make DLC you can buy with in-game money. That gives a nice reward for people who have thoroughly enoyed the game and need something to spend the leftover gold on, but people who haven't and are impatient (top characteristic of DLC-buyers) will still purchase it. Naturally you'll have weirdos who will spend hours grinding away to get it "for free" but there is no helping such people.

Dice said:
They (any developer) should make DLC you can buy with in-game money. That gives a nice reward for people who have thoroughly enoyed the game and need something to spend the leftover gold on, but people who haven't and are impatient (top characteristic of DLC-buyers) will still purchase it. Naturally you'll have weirdos who will spend hours grinding away to get it "for free" but there is no helping such people.

I like it. Like when you introduce new gold-sinks in patches or expansions for MMOs.

Dice said:
It's not time consuming to get tons of money, there are extremely simple ways to exploit the system. Tying it to real cash rewards would be terrible, most people would just look up the exploit and take advantage of it. There are very legitimate, non-"noob" ways to play where you won't earn in-game gold very quickly.

Eeikod

I just lost everything I had stored
in the dark brotherhood, burnt down to ashes, all the dragon skin and bones I had accumulated up to level 25, gone. :(

Dice

Man, I'm so tempted to get Oblivion with this sale after reading the mods thread for it, but I don't know if it would be worthless to me, even with mods, after playing Skyrim.

Houston3000 said:
It's not time consuming to get tons of money, there are extremely simple ways to exploit the system. Tying it to real cash rewards would be terrible, most people would just look up the exploit and take advantage of it.
I think you overestimate the competency of your average DLC-buyer.

Duki

Banned
anyone found a nice way to cheese enchanting and alchemy like iron daggers are for smithing? they level up so damn slowly for me qq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom