• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Durante said:
I'm pretty sure it is, since the stats I read on the Skyrim wiki are quite a bit higher than the ones on "mine". Not that I care much, I just gave it to Lydia. I only need spells!

(I'm so getting 1-shotted by everything now with my 100 health and 300 magicka)

The enchantment stat or the damage stat?

Edit - I ask because the damage stat is affected by skills and perks obviously, which you likely have little of as a mage. The enchantment should be
ignores 3 armor
no matter what since it does not have any leveled item IDs.

mr.beers

I love that the map shows areas cleared. Never completely finished FO3 or NV because I would walk into an already completed area.

The College of Magic quest could be a main story in another game it's so good.

Ryan_

I'm actually pretty dissapointed in the Thieves Guilds Questline.
Not that the main questline is bad or anything, it's awesome, but afterwards, when I come
back as guildmaster, everyone just treats me the same way, like I'm the new kid, shows no respect or anything and gives me ordinary jobs. I'm hoping that if I do all the small quests from Delvin and Vex, it's gonna get better but I doubt it.

Shouldn't be too hard for Bethesda to put some dynamic changes in when you reach a certain status right?

GhaleonEB

loblaw said:
If I've been investing into magic up until this point (level 10), is it too late to completely shift gears and go into stealth?
Nope.
Hitmonchan107 said:
Quick question:

Are the bad textures on the 360 version natural? I don't have the game installed, so I'm assuming they could look far worse.
They're fine on my system about 99% of the time, but the bad ones jump out big time when they show up. Performance in terms of textures, pop-up and frame rate have surprised me in their quality, really.

Though, last night in the loading screen, the object (a character) appeared with super low-res textures and stayed that way for the load. The loading screen! :lol

Durante

Wallach said:
The enchantment stat or the damage stat?

Edit - I ask because the damage stat is affected by skills and perks obviously, which you likely have little of as a mage. The enchantment should be
ignores 3 armor
no matter what since it does not have any leveled item IDs.
I did not know that the damage stat display is already including your skills in the calculation (after 30 hours of playing the game..)! Thanks for that information. All the better for Lydia.

The enchantment is
"does 3 points of extra damage, ignoring armor"

mr.beers said:
I love that the map shows areas cleared. Never completely finished FO3 or NV because I would walk into an already completed area.

The College of Magic quest could be a main story in another game it's so good.
The quest is good, and the dungeon set-pieces are spectacular (
the random fight with the undead dragon was cool
), but I was a little disappointed in the ending.
Another game where they make you the leader of their entire organization after being a member for a week, without having shown any leadership qualities whatsoever? I'd have been alot more satisfied with an ending that leaves you as a high-ranking member, or the Arch-Mage's second. I feel bad adventuring knowing that I've been made responsible for the entire College...they still treat you like an apprentice, too. At least in Oblivion they referred to you as Archmage, even if you didn't do anything to deserve the title.

A small gripe, but a valid one, I think.

GhaleonEB

-Yeti said:
Sorry if this has been asked to death, but does anyone know where a Shrine of Talos might be?
Talk to the Jarl in Solitude, she sent me on a fetch quest to one; it gets marked on your map at the quest start. I haven't seen one in a town yet, but I've only visited four so far.

Davedough said:
So, that being said. I want some quests. The Jarl or his mage don't seem to have anymore for me other than go to the Mage College, but that thing is so far up north that I'll never make it at my level. No one else in town seems to want to give me any quests. I'd read that you spend a lot of time in Whiterun but I cant seem to find a reason to stick around.

So here's a secret. Outside of Whiterun stables (and in a few other places) is a guy with a horse and cart. You can pay him to take you to any hold capital.

Winterhold is (technically) a hold capital.

Won

Random Orc: "I'm looking for a good death"
Me: "Maybe the Dragon I fight right in front of you will help you out, so stop standing around doing nothing!"

The woman who wanted me to cure her vamire thing during a dragon fight wasn't much better. I'm busy over here, shut up!

Concept17

Grisby said:
There's too much to do, :(

:D

My exact feelings lol

I only have so many hours in the day to invest in the game, so when I am playing, I want to do as much as possible, but DAMNIT THERE JUST TOO MUCH TO DO.

Also, a dragon I recently fought
frost one NE of Whiterun, WTF with the lich there? way harder than the dragon.. had to run away :(

GreekWolf

Hitmonchan107 said:
Quick question:

Are the bad textures on the 360 version natural? I don't have the game installed, so I'm assuming they could look far worse.
Depends on what you're looking at. Some of the snow textures are pretty blah, but almost everything else I've encountered has looked pretty impressive. You probably have the texture streaming bug, which can happen even playing from the disc.

I've had the glitch twice, which resolved itself after installing to the usb drive. Worked great for me, but it doesn't for everyone. Still waiting on a patch.

Noaloha

-Yeti said:
Sorry if this has been asked to death, but does anyone know where a Shrine of Talos might be?
There's one in Markarth.

Tonight I have mostly been fighting Hagravens. One on one they're okay. Two or more and daaamn, that fireball spam gets hairy. Toss in a berserk Briarheart with dual lightning weapons and I think I met my first genuine difficulty spike. That said, the climb up Lost Valley Redoubt, Gloomreach, Cradle Stone Tower was great. Even met a sweet ghost bard in one of those "I wonder if..." moments that this game keeps rewarding.

dantehemi

Blizzard said:
The game reminds me a bit of Lord of the Rings or Narnia environments, but I guess Game of Thrones is a major thing it reminds people of.

I already saw Lightbringer and Sandor Clegane mentioned. I wonder how many people are using names of people or weapons from Game of Thrones? My main character is a blonde Nord named Brienne. <3
My guys is name is just "stark"

Dresden said:
Do you know where the one in Markarth is? Need to find it for a quest.
It's really high up, one of the highest entrances in the city. Activate the quest's map marker if you really can't find it: Markarth's a goddamn labyrinth.

dantehemi said:
My guys is name is just "stark"
I couldn't do that. I need to be a part of the lore when I play, blatantly naming my character after another series just wouldn't work for me. :p

So I picked a name with significance in the TES world: Wulf.

Concept17 said:
My exact feelings lol

I only have so many hours in the day to invest in the game, so when I am playing, I want to do as much as possible, but DAMNIT THERE JUST TOO MUCH TO DO.

Also, a dragon I recently fought
frost one NE of Whiterun, WTF with the lich there? way harder than the dragon.. had to run away :(
Oh my God yes.
That dragon was a push-over, but that lich-y guy was the toughest opponent I've faced thus far.

Wallach

Durante said:
I did not know that the damage stat display is already including your skills in the calculation (after 30 hours of playing the game..)! Thanks for that information. All the better for Lydia.

The enchantment is
"does 3 points of extra damage, ignoring armor"

Luckily, unless initial information proves incorrect there does not seem to be a significant grip of leveled items. There are few enough that I don't really understand why they are used at all, and some of the ones that have leveled IDs (mostly generic robes of spell schools) do not actually have any changes in enchantments and appear to be identical.

The full list currently is here and should anything new be found will likely be added pretty quickly:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Leveled_Items

It is spoiler-marked since it is just a big list and I do not want anyone accidentally clicking through to it.

GhaleonEB said:
They're fine on my system about 99% of the time, but the bad ones jump out big time when they show up. Performance in terms of textures, pop-up and frame rate have surprised me in their quality, really.

Though, last night in the loading screen, the object (a character) appeared with super low-res textures and stayed that way for the load. The loading screen! :lol
Snow textures almost universally refuse to load in high-res for me, but now I'm thinking that's just how they look. :lol

Blue Ninja said:
I couldn't do that. I need to be a part of the lore when I play, blatantly naming my character after another series just wouldn't work for me. :p

So I picked a name with significance in the TES world: Wulf.
My character's name is Brehl. He was originally Bereawhl, a Nordic nudist. :^)

TrounceX

Sorry if this has been mentioned already but does anyone else feel like light armor is terrible? I am trying to play as a thief as much as possible but whenever the combat becomes up close and personal I get destroyed.

I'm about to say fuck it and open up the console command and give myself some heavy armor skill and live with the regret of wasting the perks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Stop spoiling that you get a certain position after beating a quest line guys :(

In reference to the thief guild thing above.

ced

GreekWolf said:
Depends on what you're looking at. Some of the snow textures are pretty blah, but almost everything else I've encountered has looked pretty impressive. You probably have the texture streaming bug, which can happen even playing from the disc.

I've had the glitch twice, which resolved itself after installing to the usb drive. Worked great for me, but it doesn't for everyone. Still waiting on a patch.

It may just be placebo effect on me, but I was running off disc to avoid the HDD install bug which sucks. I installed it on USB last night and I swear it looks better, it's like when running off disc and HDD install a lot of textures were low res, not just the hands and weapons.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hope I happen upon some more Words of Power soon. I have 4 souls stocked up from just random adventuring.

I'd rather not look online to see where to go for Words of Power (the joy of discovery is half the fun), but is it safe to say if there is a named dragon bounty, a word of power is nearby?

Also, what about major quest dungeons? I've been happening upon them in both quests and random adventuring, but the last dragon claw I got yielded no word.

Am I going to have to start adventuring more and more to get more words, or are they located in the vicinity of named dragons and quests?

conjuration question: do you skill up in conjuration just by casting the spell? or does the damage your conjured weapon/familiar/corpse/etc cause also factor in?

i only ask because i keep my flame atronach up almost all the time when roaming the wilds. she's a good indicator of when something's heading for my face and i don't notice it right away.

Davedough said:
So, that being said. I want some quests. The Jarl or his mage don't seem to have anymore for me other than go to the Mage College, but that thing is so far up north that I'll never make it at my level. No one else in town seems to want to give me any quests. I'd read that you spend a lot of time in Whiterun but I cant seem to find a reason to stick around.
Don't get caught up on quests like that, if they don't seem particularly interesting to you than don't worry about them. The quests in that Misc category are usually one-offs, not to say they don't lead to some interesting story bits, but no reason to get annoyed with.

Walk around Whiterun and listen to the NPCs, if it sounds like they complaining about something go up and talk to them and see if you can help. A lot of shop-keeps and stuff have quests for you to. If an NPC has dialogue options go ahead and click through them, usually ones like "So tell me what you think about this town" don't lead anywhere but something like "So what's this about bear problems?" or "Do you have any work that needs to be done?" will definitely net you some sort of small quest. Also continue with the main quest, you can do the next part at your level which will, without spoiling anything, definitely unlock most of what Whiterun has to offer.

As for the Mage College, as someone mentioned you can just take a cart there. Go outside Whiterun to the Stables, some dude will take you all over the map for only a few coin. Honestly, I think it would be best to avoid him for the most part but even I took that first cart ride to Winterhold because I really wanted to buy more spell tomes (not knowing of the whole cool college questline up there).

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Snow textures almost universally refuse to load in high-res for me, but now I'm thinking that's just how they look. :lol
Aya. I find a lot of snow textures where they overlap with stone are just flat white. I don't notice it elsewhere, which might be the game and might be me just not noticing, but it really jumps out when contrasted with other surfaces.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Concept17 said:
I only have so many hours in the day to invest in the game, so when I am playing, I want to do as much as possible, but DAMNIT THERE JUST TOO MUCH TO DO.[/spoiler]
Let it be whatever it is at whatever pace it wants. It will be one of the most epic games you have ever played, so just let it. Feels good, man.

Rabbitwork said:
conjuration question: do you skill up in conjuration just by casting the spell? or does the damage your conjured weapon/familiar/corpse/etc cause also factor in?

i only ask because i keep my flame atronach up almost all the time when roaming the wilds. she's a good indicator of when something's heading for my face and i don't notice it right away.
Just by casting. Though sometimes my conjuration skill will go up when I've got a bound weapon - not even hitting someone with a weapon, just standing their with it summoned - so I'm not entirely sure about this one. It definitely has nothing to do with damage, though.

Hitmonchan107 said:
My character's name is Brehl. He was originally Bereawhl, a Nordic nudist. :^)
Nice. :p

I'm already starting to think about what characters I'm going to build next, and I'm not even done with Wulf yet. :p Once I've finished the main quest, the legion questline and cleared every dungeon in the game I'm moving on to character number 2, so that'll likely take a while still.

I'm currently leaning towards a Dunmer, either a battlemage or a thief/assassin.

mxgt

Banned
The quests in this game are so fantastic and varied. I was
investigating around Markarth about the murder in the marketplace and got arrested by corrupt cops and ended up as a prisoner in a mine and had to escape
. So good.

Acheteedo

Deified Data said:
Just by casting. Though sometimes my conjuration skill will go up when I've got a bound weapon - not even hitting someone with a weapon, just standing their with it summoned - so I'm not entirely sure about this one. It definitely has nothing to do with damage, though.

I've been playing around with this and it seems there has to be an enemy nearby for conjuration to level up. Try looking at your conjuration progress bar when an enemy is about, conjure a sword a couple of times, and watch it shoot up. You can abuse this easily if the enemy can't reach you. Also, weapon conjuring works much faster than enemy conjuring, it's surprisingly rapid.

Wallach

nickbreckon said:
Save and reload -- should fix it. It's a known bug and will be fixed in a future patch.

Nick, do you know if they are going to fix it so that this does not conflict with Mage Armor? That seems like an oversight, surely?

Zeliard

It's a shame the Revenant summon can't resurrect dragons. How awesome would that have been. Probably a bit OP though. :p

Zefah said:
Holy shit! I just saw this on RPS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kElxR6PIacI

I look forward to trying this mod out tonight.

I could have sworn I saw Todd Howard or someone doing this in a demonstration of the game. For whatever reason I expected this to already be in the game. Definitely cool, though.

I have to say, however, that I don't have an issue at all with the big map. In fact, I like it a lot. I know some wanted one that's a lot more detailed and functional but I sort of prefer this one. You can see certain geographical features like streams and mountains so it's possible to plot your way through or around them to an extent to get to wherever you're going. Not to mention there's always the Clairvoyance spell if you get stuck.

I like the map specifically for its lack of great detail. It makes the various signposts around the game world far more useful and generally makes traveling around feel more adventurous and unpredictable.

Acheteedo said:
I've been playing around with this and it seems there has to be an enemy nearby for conjuration to level up. Try looking at your conjuration progress bar when an enemy is about, conjure a sword a couple of times, and watch it shoot up. You can abuse this easily if the enemy can't reach you. Also, weapon conjuring works much faster than enemy conjuring, it's surprisingly rapid.
i ran up a few levels of restoration by standing in a fire trap that was constantly on (corpse was laying on pressure plates) and casting "Healing" one-handed. the rate of healing barely outpaced the rate of damage so every so often i'd let off the spell so as not to overheal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom