• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Seanspeed said:
About 40 hours in and I've finally decided I should trek my way up to High Hrothgar. Probably do a main quest or two(or three if I'm really enjoying them) and then get back to just wandering the fuck around.

And again, thanks guys for letting me know about mapping things to the left/right buttons on the d-pad. So incredibly helpful.

Wat!?

lol... how do you do this? i was driving to class today thinking how they should let us map stuff to those buttons since they serve no purpose.

holy crap haha

stufte

ezekial45 said:
I think I'm doing the Theives guild wrong. I'm supposed to meet Brynjolf in the Ragged Falgon in the Ratway, but everyone there is hostile.

Is this supposed to happen?

yep, everyone in the ratways is hostile, KILL EM ALL! You'll get to a door that says "the ragged flaggon" and everyone in there will be friendly... or at least they should be....

As good as this game is, I've definitely started to get that MMO-grindy feeling now at about 30 hours in. Feels like all I'm doing is following the quest-arrow mindlessly to kill some skeletons or fetch some item for some arbitrary reason that's entirely uninteresting for everyone. It instantly became more fun when I disabled the quest-marker and actually had to use my brain again, but unfortunately the quest-logs are so unspecific and basic that it's often impossible to figure out where to go without that fucking arrow, unless you remember the conversation that got you the quest ~10h earlier that is. More options for route-planning and detective work would make this game so much better, for me at least.

And dragons spawn too goddamn often at the higher levels. Get the hell out of my face when I'm riding!

Davedough

Evolved1 said:
Wat!?

lol... how do you do this? i was driving to class today thinking how they should let us map stuff to those buttons since they serve no purpose.

holy crap haha

Pull up your favorites menu by pressing the UP d-pad. Then scroll to the items you want to hotkey. If you like your bow for instance, hold Left on your D-pad for a couple seconds and it'll have a 1 next to it. Go to your next hotkey item that you want and hold Right for a couple seconds and a 2 will go beside it. Then back in gameworld, press the respective direction to instachange your weapon

scy

krameriffic said:
LOL.

So if you stack up 100% reduction in spell cost in a particular school, all spells cast in the school cost 0 magicka. It doesn't stack multiplicatively, it stacks additively. This is fairly gamebreaking as it makes it possible to spam extremely high cost spells (like destruction spells) at no cost as well as rendering the perks that reduce magicka costs of spells useless. It also makes +magicka and regeneration bonuses relatively useless as well unless you dabble in other trees and need magicka to cast those spells.

This is the sole reason why I've been picky with my perks; no reason to raise them when I can get away with just doing this down the road. Good to know it goes as far as I thought it would've.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I'm curious now, are there any other silly ways to train various magical skills like how I found jumping up and down in a blacksmith forge to damage myself slowly trained destruction?

Evolved1

ezekial45 said:
I think I'm doing the Theives guild wrong. I'm supposed to meet Brynjolf in the Ragged Falgon in the Ratway, but everyone there is hostile.

Is this supposed to happen?

Later there's neat story bit...
those guys in the tunnels are the washouts who couldn't make it in the guild. So they're (unwittingly) there to serve as part of trial for other, more promising recruits. They don;t realize they're just fodder.
:)

Davedough said:
Pull up your favorites menu by pressing the UP d-pad. Then scroll to the items you want to hotkey. If you like your bow for instance, hold Left on your D-pad for a couple seconds and it'll have a 1 next to it. Go to your next hotkey item that you want and hold Right for a couple seconds and a 2 will go beside it. Then back in gameworld, press the respective direction to instachange your weapon

Thanks man, that's awesome.

Splatt

Missing in Action is such a shitty quest.

I've searched the web to try and find a diplomatic way to end it, but apparently the only way you can solve it is by going Rambo on the dumb guards. That made the decision to not bring Avulstein and his band of merry men into battle a very very stupid one. That's why I decided to not give a fuck, turned the difficulty down and killed everyone in that stupid watchtower and nonchalantly led the inprisoned brother to freedom.

Max said:
Over-saturation is never for the better
There are 6 different versions of it with different settings. One of them is labeled "lower saturation", but I'm not sure just how much lower it really is. I can't test it because that particular one crashes my game.

I can say that it uses a crappy hardware level FXAA and sharpening implementation that does deal with jaggies, but it also affects everything else, including the UI. It makes text and health bars look all funny.

Aselith

Crescendo170 said:
As good as this game is, I've definitely started to get that MMO-grindy feeling now at about 30 hours in. Feels like all I'm doing is following the quest-arrow mindlessly to kill some skeletons or fetch some item for some arbitrary reason that's entirely uninteresting for everyone. It instantly became more fun when I disabled the quest-marker and actually had to use my brain again, but unfortunately the quest-logs are so unspecific and basic that it's often impossible to figure out where to go without that fucking arrow, unless you remember the conversation that got you the quest ~10h earlier that is. More options for route-planning and detective work would make this game so much better, for me at least.

And dragons spawn too goddamn often at the higher levels. Get the hell out of my face when I'm riding!
Just look at where you need to go on the map and walk that general direction but let yourself be sidetracked. Don't beeline.

Splatt said:

I've searched the web to try and find a diplomatic way to end it, but apparently the only way you can solve it is by going Rambo on the dumb guards. That made the decision to not bring Avulstein and his band of merry men into battle a very very stupid one. That's why I decided to not give a fuck, turned the difficulty down and killed everyone in that stupid watchtower and nonchalantly led the inprisoned brother to freedom.
Shit, really? That's another quest I won't be finishing on this playthrough then.
I fucking hate the Thalmor, but I'm not gonna bust a goddamn Stormcloak out of their custody when I have no qualms with sending an Elder Dragon to burninate his friends.

Not sure how long I've played but I'm only at level 9. At the moment, I can't get past all the fug inside the game. Subscores that rank the visuals above 6 are not to be trusted IMO. I can play some lousy looking games and ejoy them but Bethesda's usual "bland" is hurting the experience IMO. If some other company competed with them and put out a quality product with only average character models, art, textures, etc....... I doubt the Elder Scrolls games would get above an 8. The lack of quality competition in this space allows them to get away subpar work and not get docked for it.

All that aside, I'm having alot of fun but I'm hoping the game opens up more and convinces me that this is more than Oblivion 1.5. I've probably sunk well over 300 hours into the series and I'm expecting Skyrim to seperate itself. So far, it hasn't for me.

Evolved1

Eh... the quick-switch with the d-pad could've been done a lot better.

Unequipping the weapon isn't quite as useful as having access to two options for each hand. And down to get to favorites is redundant. Down could've been used to alternate between two pre-selected shouts/powers.

But I guess this is better than nothing.

Sh1ner

my paralyse bow just tears frost trolls apart now. After I correctly enchanted it. They can sometimes resist the paralyse but it doesn't take more than 2 shots normally. Then you can get in close when their health is low if you want to take the soul.

I will never be threatened by frost trolls ever again! :D

balddemon

Banned
pix said:
Posted this on reddit but I want to post this here as well.

So I want to make all PC users aware of this mod as it completely changes the way the game looks for the better. I took some screenshots showing the difference, and I can't go back after using this.

Comparison Screens (Ultra settings)
Daytime: http://imgur.com/a/WNdEr
Nightime: http://imgur.com/a/Y2lvd
You can download the mod here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

wow i really like this. lot more colorful..time to see what it looks like in riften. that place is literally gray.

zethren

Banned
So I shouldn't bother enchanting any of my weapons without the use of a grand soul gem? I'd like to be able to name a weapon, is why I'm asking. haha

moojito

Grrr, comodo firewall is a pain in the ass. Whenever it bugs me about updating it minimises skyrim and I lose all the progress since my last save.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
"Silent Roll" has to be one of the coolest skills. I love drawing the enemy out of some area (a single arrow in a strategic spot) and rolling up behind the straggler, killing him and then dealing with the others in the same fashion.

I'm also able to one shot Giants (sneak critical) with my Lv.26 Thief with a mixture of the correct perks and gear.

Ketch

has anyone had any success with unarmed? I just started a new Khajit, gonna make him a mystical ninja type with unarmed and illusion/conjuration. I'll be using mainly unarmed and bound weapons but it seems like there is really no help for anyone attempting pure unarmed build... there's only one perk, thats in heavy armor, for unarmed... pretty lame.

Echoplx

moojito said:
Grrr, comodo firewall is a pain in the ass. Whenever it bugs me about updating it minimises skyrim and I lose all the progress since my last save.

alt tabbing can work, in fact it does most of the time.

What you have to do is alt-tab back to the game (you will see a black screen) then proceed to alt tab back into the game again while it's still in focus and the game will resume.

So basically alt tab twice

Home

Maxed out smithing today, crafted myself 2 sets of dragon armor, one for me and one for my companion. Now I need to level enchanting so I can put some sick bow damage enchants on em.

moojito

3chopl0x said:
alt tabbing can work, in fact it does most of the time.

What you have to do is alt-tab back to the game (you will see a black screen) then proceed to alt tab back into the game again while it's still in focus and the game will resume.

So basically alt tab twice

Ah that's very handy to know, cheers.

On an unrelated note, I just tested out soul trap on a chicken. Big mistake.

If there's one thing we can all take away from this game it's never fuck with a skyrim man's chicken.

edit: I said "with"!

Alchemy

zethren said:
So I shouldn't bother enchanting any of my weapons without the use of a grand soul gem? I'd like to be able to name a weapon, is why I'm asking. haha

You need to enchant stuff to raise your enchanting skill, so I suggest burning through all the weaker gems first and saving your grand gems for more awesome enchantments.

Aselith said:
Tip for bow users, get an item with soultrap enchant then disenchant it and add to a powerful bow with a very short duration. I did 2 sec with 70 charges. Now I don't run out of souls.

Conjured bow + perk that auto soultraps dudes = win. Helps for farming petty souls.

So Mage's College sidequest minor spoilers (I guess - not part of the main storyline, mostly just a funny thing that happened)

Anyone else experience the Dark Elf Student (can't remember her name) experimenting on you with some magic? She ended up turning me green for about 15 real-time minutes, and I had to wait that long for my screen to lose the green tint before coming back. Had a laugh when it happened.

Also got J'zargo to be a follower if I need him after testing out some "flame cloak" scrolls on undead for him.

Zeliard

CarbonatedFalcon said:
So Mage's College sidequest minor spoilers (I guess - not part of the main storyline, mostly just a funny thing that happened)

Anyone else experience the Dark Elf Student (can't remember her name) experimenting on you with some magic? She ended up turning me green for about 15 real-time minutes, and I had to wait that long for my screen to lose the green tint before coming back. Had a laugh when it happened.

If you go back to her now you can recruit her.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Home said:
Maxed out smithing today, crafted myself 2 sets of dragon armor, one for me and one for my companion. Now I need to level enchanting so I can put some sick bow damage enchants on em.

how long does it take to max? Did you just keep making daggers? I spent yesterday leveling some of my secondary skills and some of them take forever.

moojito

herzogzwei1989 said:
Is it me or do towns generally have bad framerates? Playing on a PC with a GTX 460 1 GB.

I have an amd 6850 which I think is pretty similar to the 460, and I find towns fine, but in dungeons I see the frame rate dropping more than anything.

Home

purg3 said:
how long does it take to max? Did you just keep making daggers? I spent yesterday leveling some of my secondary skills and some of them take forever.

It took quite a while. I started just doing it casually making myself gear but when I hit 60 or so I relly wnted to empty out some of those dragon scales/bones, so I just made Iron Daggers and Hide bracers after that. The reason it took me a long time was due to vendors running out of materials.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Does anyone have the Steam version of the guide? I know it's pricey but when it says it is "searchable" depending on how that works, it would be FANTASTIC and much better than flipping back and forth through a book.

That is... assuming it's a proper digital format, not PDF, which I hate navigating, is clunky as hell, and looks like shit on screen.

CarbonatedFalcon said:

Also got J'zargo to be a follower if I need him after testing out some "flame cloak" scrolls on undead for him.
Hah, that was amusing.
My Altmer did not appreciate being turned into a yak...

Alchemy said:
Conjured bow + perk that auto soultraps dudes = win. Helps for farming petty souls.

Ooh, I thought there might be a conjured bow, but I hadn't encountered the tome for it yet. I'll have to look around (Don't tell me! I'm trying to experience the game with as little help as possible this first time through at least.)

I've taken up a liking to conjured swords recently, to go along with my destruction magic.

It kind of freaks out dual-casting it though as it will only give you one when dual-casting, not two. So a bug/odd thing there.

I'm thinking going more towards battle-mage in armor than pure mage, so the conjured weapons really fit in.

Esch

Banned
Zeliard said:
Marcurio doesn't need a blade. He just obliterates fools with fire and lightning spells.
I gave him a nightingale blade so he can absorb a little health. Better than that wimp ass dagger anyway.

moojito said:
I have an amd 6850 which I think is pretty similar to the 460, and I find towns fine, but in dungeons I see the frame rate dropping more than anything.

Weird. I usually get smooth 60fps in dungeons, but it drops alot when I enter a city like Windhelm or Riften.

bengraven

Shogun PaiN said:
Is that the PC version and if so what settings? I swear the 360 version looks better than that.

No, it's PC. I have shit like shadows and grass turned down to only pop in when fairly close (really close in the regards to shadows).

Trust me, the 360 version doesn't look better even with my lower end settings. Plus, I'm getting 50-60 fps. :p

Boogdud said:
CANNOT unsee Techno Viking.

techno-viking.jpg

Haha, never even thought about that!

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
pix said:
Posted this on reddit but I want to post this here as well.

So I want to make all PC users aware of this mod as it completely changes the way the game looks for the better. I took some screenshots showing the difference, and I can't go back after using this.

Comparison Screens (Ultra settings)
Daytime: http://imgur.com/a/WNdEr
Nightime: http://imgur.com/a/Y2lvd
You can download the mod here: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131
Looks worse. And it makes dark areas even darker.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Splatt said:

It is this mission that I was glad I chose to become a
werewolf. As an archer I couldn't stand a chance against all those Thalmor, so I destroyed them all in beast form. It was amazing. They seriously did not stand a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom