• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I love the game, but I really hate the map. It's a completely useless mess of clouds and ass. They should just use the same style as the included map like with Oblivion. To make matters worse, it pisses me off every time I see that map around at assorted locations in the game. It taunts me.

mileS

Warnen said:
Saw on a wiki page that the max the gloves scale to is 25%, did that part of the at lvl 32-33 and they were at that for me.

dammit I did mine at level 29 and my gloves are 20%.. hmm Im going to load an old save and level to 30 to see if they scale any more with that one level.

You can also go back to the cave and touch the armor stone.. not sure if you level after you have the gear if it will upgrade it or something. Dammit I wish I could find better information about this.

Echoplx

Skullkid said:
LOL - just Googled it. I guess this is the +100 Fortify Magic bonus you get after completing a quest at the mage guild. Not a glitch at all.

All this talk of bugs/glitches, deleting save files, etc. has me on edge.

Where can I get this? I am the arch mage

Salaadin

The quest "The Only Cure" was awesome. Anyone do that one yet?
After I got all the items, I started the trek thru the ruins. Took me over an hour and a few near deaths and a heart attack when that giant thing started coming down the hallway at me but I survived. Great shield reward too.

cackhyena

So if I have these specs, should I even bother getting the PC version? All these mods are making me salivate.

Core 2 duo 6600 2.40 ghz
3 gb RAM
HD 4870

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The combat in this game is pretty terrible... there isn't a lock on system, which is fine, but most of your attacks take so long to develop and you go flying by the person without making contact half the time. Add in the jank and the fact your shied basically decides when it want to block and you have the recipe for frustration.

This has been my favorite game in a long time but holy shit they need to scrap this entire combat system and go back to the drawing board.

Bethesda, hire more people.

pyros

Wallach said:
I just spent like three hours in the dungeon
Mzluft
for the College of Winterhold primary quest line. Couldn't believe how huge the place was. I think my favorite part of the whole place was the
bedroom with a master-level locked door, but a key you could see through some bars on the desk inside if you were paying attention. Telekinesis and boom, you're in.

About the duder at the end, for anyone who's already done this quest:
did you let that guy walk away? Part of me thinks I ought to blast his ass into dust before I go. He seems alright, I just don't know if I need this guy going back to report to the Synod about what we're up to...

Killed him, but didn't realize how tough he was, almost died, but was the right thing to do

mxgt

Banned
Wallach said:
I just spent like three hours in the dungeon
Mzluft
for the College of Winterhold primary quest line. Couldn't believe how huge the place was. I think my favorite part of the whole place was the
bedroom with a master-level locked door, but a key you could see through some bars on the desk inside if you were paying attention. Telekinesis and boom, you're in.

About the duder at the end, for anyone who's already done this quest:
did you let that guy walk away? Part of me thinks I ought to blast his ass into dust before I go. He seems alright, I just don't know if I need this guy going back to report to the Synod about what we're up to...

Yeah that place was fucking gigantic. The next area is huge too.

And I killed him because of the stuff he was saying, he was being a right dick.

I also don't understand how people have so much money, spend that shit on skill levels at trainers. I'm permanently poor because of that.

X26

Banned
Evolved1 said:
The combat in this game is pretty terrible... there isn't a lock on system, which is fine, but most of your attacks take so long to develop and you go flying by the person without making contact half the time. Add in the jank and the fact your shied basically decides when it want to block and you have the recipe for frustration.

This has been my favorite game in a long time but holy shit they need to scrap this entire combat system and go back to the drawing board.

Bethesda, hire more people.

Shame that magic and archery were given more depth, but up close combat still seems a lot like rock-em-sock em robots going at it

Wallach

Meier said:
Probably been mentioned already but that right/left d-pad trick does not work on the 360 itself.

Are you sure? You have to hold left or right for like 2 seconds to actually hotkey something to it from the favorites list.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It is bonkers how good this game is. The sense of infinite possibilities is amazing. I was just rummaging through some books and i opened a whole new quest. Bethesda is up to witchcraft putting this game in 3.8 gigs.

I have seen my fair amount of glitches though. Particularly floating weapons going up into the sky for some reason. All common Bethesda type bugs though. Havent had texture issues outside of a few items not getting full textures in menus (not installed).

And left/right dpad works on 360 btw

NBtoaster

This area with the scale, the music, the ice, the horkers...is amazing

scamnetm.png

RyanDG

So about the stormcloak questline...

After getting the crown...

The siege of Whiterun was incredible. Especially after spending so much time questing in the area originally and even owning a home in the area. In a lot of ways the game did a good job building a personal attachment to Whiterun in general and to lay siege on it was a great way to introduce the greater conflict in the nord civil war.

Stormcloaks. Rawr!

Guys, can you help me with a secret platform? It's located in
the Shroud Barrow near Vilemyr (town at the base of Hrothgar 7000 steps). In the room of the Scarlet Dragon Claw where you get the power Kyne's Peace, to the left is a small ledge with treasure in it. To me it looks like an ebony sword a coin pouch and an urn. You cannot jump to it, I've tried for about 30 minutes in every possible way and I even clipped through the wall trying to get over there and crashed the game.
Any idea how to get to this ledge? Do I need some sort of skill/magic?

Cudder

How do you use your characters specific ability? For example, I'm a Nord, how do I use the "scream" or whatever ability I have?

Mindlog

I'm an early mage. The only thing I care about is Shock/Destruction.
I can drop some perk points into light armor. Now I am left with a dilemma while I work on getting more points for Destruction perks.
Enchanting or Smithing.
Enchanting before smithing?

I am leaning towards enachanting before smithing. Is this a good idea?

Cudder said:
How do you use your characters specific ability? For example, I'm a Nord, how do I use the "scream" or whatever ability I have?

Under magic you can equip the shout of scream then use the shout/scream button. On PC by default that is Z.

Mindlog said:
I'm an early mage. The only thing I care about is Shock/Destruction.
I can drop some perk points into light armor. Now I am left with a dilemma while I work on getting more points for Destruction perks.
Enchanting or Smithing.
Enchanting before smithing?

I am leaning towards enachanting before smithing. Is this a good idea?

For a mage, I would say Enchanting before smithing since you won't be crafting cloth armor and the passive armor enchants can be great for a mage. Smithing you probably only need the Arcane perk so you can upgrade magical armor/weapons.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So currently I raised my sneaking to 80 by doing that sneak trick. Illusion is like 70 by casting muffle over and over. Currently Im jumping on a blacksmith forge to raise my destruction magic and restoration magic but its slow.

Is there any other type of "tricks" to help raise other skills I should know?

-Got to like level 25 from just doing this random shit lol

Echoplx

Corran Horn said:
So currently I raised my sneaking to 80 by doing that sneak trick. Illusion is like 70 by casting muffle over and over. Currently Im jumping on a blacksmith forge to raise my destruction magic and restoration magic but its slow.

Is there any other type of "tricks" to help raise other skills I should know?

Whats this forge jumping destruction trick?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
3chopl0x said:
Whats this forge jumping destruction trick?
Jumping on a forge pit thing causes you to take fire damage and it will raise your destruction skill. But its really slow and probably not worth it. Im only at like lvl 20 for that skill. But Im using the damage atm to cast heal and hope to raise that skill lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy shit, when I do a backstab animation now with my new daggers, it shows the target getting frozen/set on fire as they crumple to the ground dead. Game of the forever

Forkball

Inferno313 said:
Considering investing some points into the dual-wielding skills in the one-handed tree. Is dual-wield melee fighter a good build? Or should I stick to sword + shield?
I've been trying sword and board after switching from battlemage, but honestly the damage output with magic and a melee weapon is too great to give up. Sword and board might be good for individual targets, but when a mage and two guys with giant axes are coming at you, your going to want to back away and spam fire spells while getting a few cheap shots in.

I did a few miscellaneous quests today. I went after the bandit leader in Halted Stream camp, man that was insane. First, I stole a horse near Whiterun and ventured there. Right as I got near the gates, some wolves started to chase me. I try to lose them by going straight into the camp, but a couple of bandits are there waiting for me. So I hop off my horse into a shitstorm of wolves and bandits. But then the bandits start shooting at the wolves, and my horse goes on a fucking RAMPAGE and starts murdering the bandits. It even went up a ramp on the higher level to kill some archer. I go into the camp and kill another jobber bandit, easy enough. But when I go after the bandit leader, it turns out he's a hell of a lot stronger than the guys on the outside and he hangs with an orc wielding a giant axe and a mage. It takes a few tries, but I finally get some cheap shots into the bandit leader and then haul ass back into the overworld. I expected them to come out and chase me, but they did not. I decide to go back in, and see the bandit leader stuck on a ramp or something, so I pop some arrows in him for the kill to finish the next stage of a quest. Well, I decide to check out his posse, and they're in the other room going through their stock conversation. I decide to get the jump on them and start spamming flames and knocking them back with a mace. I had to chew through some potions, but I managed to kill them and loot the surrounding area (good stuff). I also happened to find a mammoth tusk for another quest. Double whammy!

I decide to take the back exit only to find
some death pit with a deer and a high elf. Creepy.

Also, in the My Time of Need quest, how do I talk to the prisoner. He is behind the cell and it says there's a special key, but I pickpocketed the key from a guard and it didn't open. How do I talk to that guy?

And if you want some steel arrows, pickpocket them from the Whiterun guards when they are sleeping in their barracks. I got over 100 steel arrows that way (be sure to save often).

Duki

Banned
:/

why isnt dragon armour the strongest when it takes 100 skill level?

and why are ebony weapons mostly the exact same damage value as daedric ones?

this is kind of silly

edit: ive been going dual wield + sword and board

it works really well, the damage of dual wielding is ridiculous, while any time you need defense or to stunlock a tougher enemy just whip out a shield

totally recommend both tbh

Jadedx

Banned
I need help with the silver hand, I'm level 41 with really good armor but they keep killing me with two blows, my conjurations die super fast too. I did not know silver affects my conjurations too.

mik83kuu

Banned
Atomski said:
Another newb question.. to make a 2 word shout I press right and left bumper.. what do I do for a 3 word shout?
Press the pedal down. EDIT: Any pedal will do, but if you have glutch you can do 4-word shouts.

NBtoaster

Atomski said:
Another newb question.. to make a 2 word shout I press right and left bumper.. what do I do for a 3 word shout?

You hold down the right bumper for different words in a shout. Just tap it for one word, press it for 2 words and hold for 3.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So this is for no other reason except that I found this dude and was having a really tough time with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3dzRXmNd90

Frost Dragon, Master difficulty, playing as an archer. I'm level 33 with like, 80 armor rating. If I get too close, he eats me (even at full health). If I get caught in a direct shot from his frost breath, I'm dead in about 2 seconds.

So I died like, 10 times before I got the kill here. What I learned from this is that first off, not all dragons are created equal. This fight proved to me that there are definitely tiers of dragon difficulties out there. So much pain was involved in this fight, I just got super lucky with positioning and focus.

Second, this whole fight was made possible thanks to my resilient as fuck companion and atronach pulling the dragon's attention. I probably would have benefited hugely from having a frost atronach for this fight, buuuuut I haven't made time to hunt that spell down yet.

Also, I realized that as a pure archer, you almost NEED to make use of a companion. I mean, even in the wild, you're typically going after a dragon with your horse sitting around getting shat on, some random bear that decides he wants to join in, or a few villagers tossing arrows. 1v1 a high level dragon is NOT an easy task (at least not for us light armor wearers).

I know that a lot of people here are claiming that they never have trouble with ANYTHING, and high-five to you guys. Most stuff ain't too tough, I agree. But awesome dragon fights like this are pretty rad. Pretty sure this is a scripted fight based off of the location and shout you get after it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry the frame rate isn't awesome. Fraps sort of bottlenecks my frame rate (even though I had it set to record at a max of 100 FPS). I think it's just the processor enjoying the extra load.

Haven't gotten the game yet, so I got a question.

Does the game make any call backs to the Morag Tong? I was so bummed out when the Dark Brotherhood stuff in Oblivion didn't mention its
way more badass
rivals.

Atomski

nicoga3000 said:
So this is for no other reason except that I found this dude and was having a really tough time with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3dzRXmNd90

Frost Dragon, Master difficulty, playing as an archer. I'm level 33 with like, 80 armor rating. If I get too close, he eats me (even at full health). If I get caught in a direct shot from his frost breath, I'm dead in about 2 seconds.

So I died like, 10 times before I got the kill here. What I learned from this is that first off, not all dragons are created equal. This fight proved to me that there are definitely tiers of dragon difficulties out there. So much pain was involved in this fight, I just got super lucky with positioning and focus.

Second, this whole fight was made possible thanks to my resilient as fuck companion and atronach pulling the dragon's attention. I probably would have benefited hugely from having a frost atronach for this fight, buuuuut I haven't made time to hunt that spell down yet.

Also, I realized that as a pure archer, you almost NEED to make use of a companion. I mean, even in the wild, you're typically going after a dragon with your horse sitting around getting shat on, some random bear that decides he wants to join in, or a few villagers tossing arrows. 1v1 a high level dragon is NOT an easy task (at least not for us light armor wearers).

I know that a lot of people here are claiming that they never have trouble with ANYTHING, and high-five to you guys. Most stuff ain't too tough, I agree. But awesome dragon fights like this are pretty rad. Pretty sure this is a scripted fight based off of the location and shout you get after it, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sorry the frame rate isn't awesome. Fraps sort of bottlenecks my frame rate (even though I had it set to record at a max of 100 FPS). I think it's just the processor enjoying the extra load.

People keep saying the dragons are a pushover. But there is clearly a few that are hella hard. I also was stuck on a frost dragon for a good while. I had no cover to run behind and he also would just eat me if he got close enough.

Wallach said:
How do I start that quest line? I found the
Shrine of Boethiah place with the pillar of sacrifice; do I have to drag a companion up there and sacrifice them? I couldn't find any clues so I moved on to my next destination.
What I did was to simply go back to Windhelm and hire the mercenary guy in the main tavern (500 gold). With him in tow, I fast traveled there and sacrificed him. I didn't have any connection to him whatsoever, so I didn't care about killing him.

Also, I have a question. The last witness killed mechanic for removing bounties, does this not seem to work for a lot of people? I just went on a rampage outside of Solitude and butchered about 10 guards, but I still have a 10k+ gold bounty. Why? I left no witnesses alive, I made sure of that, so why didn't it all go away?

Simo

So I've had this arrow bolt lodged in my chest for a while and after saving and reloading...it's still there. It will go away eventually...right?

I've been decimated by each dragon I've faced. Apart from the first you fight, my next two 'kills' came via each dragon having the misfortune of attacking me near a giant camp. The big guys take care of the dragon, and then I take care of the big guys. Sorry fellas!

I think my problem is my load-out. I usually stumble blindly into these fights without the proper resistance and health potions. For a 2H focused character, who's going to take a lot of damage, this is a very bad idea.

angelfly

Fuck you Morokei!

After about 30 tries I just said fuck it and lowered the difficulty a notch then played hit and run with sword and shouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom