• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. This game. Booted up to check out some new settings. Thief comes up to me and demands stuff from me. As I'm considering my options my controller vibrates and a blood dragon lands beside us. Thief decides that it's more important to help fight the dragon than try to steal from me.

I have a problem; I can't manage to keep my companion fighters alive. Lydia died off pretty quickly, I've had two more since her and my fourth guy just died :(. I do try to keep them in good shape and such (I buy them iron grade equipment, and steel grade equipment when I can afford it!) but they always seem to die. They can handle the tough shit like dragons and trolls, but for some reason they just keep dying...

Blizzard

Banned
Tenck said:
Seriously fuck this game.I had hundreds of items worth thousands upon thousands gold coins. Left them in the damn Winterhold college room since you know, it's my room. Turns out everyone helped themselves to my stuff. If I don't get a house soon, I will murder someone.
Thanks for the heads up, I also left some of my first things in the college room. I guess whoever said things start vanishing from containers after three days was right.

If the only safe place is a house you own, can you own more than one house? I guess I need to go hunting the cheap house in Whiterun very soon, as long as I can upgrade later.

Atomski

Grinchy said:
Even at 60 freakin dollars for a download, I couldn't resist. I'm 8% in on my download and I can't wait to start playing. This will probably be the last game I buy for a while.
Game is worth every penny.

Blizzard

Banned
Blizzard said:
Thanks for the heads up, I also left some of my first things in the college room. I guess whoever said things start vanishing from containers after three days was right.

If the only safe place is a house you own, can you own more than one house? I guess I need to go hunting the cheap house in Whiterun very soon, as long as I can upgrade later.
Answering my own question:

http://www.gamefront.com/skyrim-house-buying-guide/

You can own more than one house.

dalin80

Banned
Tenck said:
Seriously fuck this game.I had hundreds of items worth thousands upon thousands gold coins. Left them in the damn Winterhold college room since you know, it's my room. Turns out everyone helped themselves to my stuff. If I don't get a house soon, I will murder someone.

Oh fuck, thats about 4000 worth of rare pickups gone for me then.

seriously, has this game got all of oblivions shit.

Tenck

CyReN said:
Anybody have trouble with the map? For some reason I have random areas constantly selected on the map, keep selecting random areas somehow. Wish they would have done something more friendly like Fallout 3. Maybe it's just me, but again this is a very very minor problem for me. Still GOTY by far.

What I did, yea I know it's cheap.

If this works on the PS3 I will love you. The reason I even stored all my stuff in the college was to get enough for a damn house!

ajf009

One of the best perks of being a werewolf is
the 100% resistance to disease

take THAT you lying alchemist bitch!

Blizzard

Banned
dalin80 said:
Oh fuck, thats about 4000 worth of rare pickups gone for me then.

seriously, has this game got all of oblivions shit.
It may not all be gone, just go check it quick. I suspect it may depend on how long it's been left.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn the A Night to Remember quest takes you all over the damn place. I cannot imagine how you people playing with zero fast travel could tolerate this :lol

Atomski

Blizzard said:
Answering my own question:

http://www.gamefront.com/skyrim-house-buying-guide/

You can own more than one house.
Im working on the Solitude house right now.. 4k gold to go. I could get it pretty easy but waiting on vendors to get enough gold has slowed me down.

Also I thought it was a givin not to leave stuff in random places. Guess Bethesda needs to make it more clear.

I never find good loot. Do I have to craft it or what? I've never been into crafting things, I'd rather explorer. :(

The more you level up the better loot will get. I find an amazing peice now and then. Outside of enchanting I dont craft any gear.

Hyunkel6

How does sneak level up? Is it like in Oblivion in which you could go back and forth behind an enemy and keep gaining levels? Doesn't seem to work in Skyrim.

MustacheBandit_ said:
You actually have fun playing the game like that? Might as well just edit your .ini file and raise all your stats. I never understand people who lime to glitch their way to higher levels in games, seems like it takes any sense of accomplishment away.
It doesn't make sense to do it on core skills. The support skills (enchanting and smithing) are next to impossible to level really high with regular play though. I was at around 80 smithing and 70 enchanting when I got bored of making 5 billion iron daggers and enchanting them with drain magicka and selling them for a net profit when I just said "fuck it" and found the console command to raise them the rest of the way.

If this was an MMORPG, I might dedicate myself to boring grindy bullshit, but not in an SP game.

Blizzard

Banned
Atomski said:
Also I thought it was a givin not to leave stuff in random places. Guess Bethesda needs to make it more clear.
Well the issue is something like this:

• This is my first Bethesda game besides a little Fallout 3.
  • The room at the college is called YOUR room.
  • Unlike most other places in the college rooms, the bed isn't owned, and you're not stealing if you take stuff from the drawers.
  • It seems difficult to get 5000 gold really quickly, or at least not without getting several hundred pounds worth of stuff you might want to save.

Because of the above factors, it seems to me you find yourself running low on space before you can manage to get 5000 gold together.

BadTaste

cartoon_soldier said:
The landscape in this game is amazing

CNmEc.jpg

My character - Light armor + Robes = awesome

Where did you get that mask? I'm level 34 and haven't found anything THAT cool.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I got up to level 8 playing with my Redguard (focusing on archery, one-handed (dual wielding) and light armor) but after getting one-or-two-hit killed by just about anything that's not a regular bandit or draugr I started over, this time with a Breton focusing on destruction, restoration, heavy armor, one-handed and smithing. So far it's a hell of a lot easier, not to mention more fun. This is the first ES game where I've ever seriously used magic.

Playing on expert, by the way.

Atomski said:
Im working on the Solitude house right now.. 4k gold to go. I could get it pretty easy but waiting on vendors to get enough gold has slowed me down.

The more you level up the better loot will get. I find an amazing peice now and then. Outside of enchanting I dont craft any gear.
I'm at level 23..... My sneak is 71, archery is 62. I feel like I'm not running up against enemies scaled to my level. Most enemies I can just sneak up on and slice their throats. Maybe I just need to venture out into further territory.

BadTaste105 said:
Where did you get that mask? I'm level 34 and haven't found anything THAT cool.
It's from one of the last quests for the College of Winterhold.

subversus said:
WAIT, so you can put on light armor AND ROBES?
Only gloves, boots, and helmets/masks.

FlyinJ said:
If I join the anti-Imperial side in the war, are all guards in Imperial-sympathizing cities going to attack me?
No.

Raitosaito said:
Is one of the Mage school side quest. In a chest.
It's on a corpse actually.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If I join the anti-Imperial side in the war, are all guards in Imperial-sympathizing cities going to attack me?

dalin80

Banned
Hyunkel6 said:
How does sneak level up? Is it like in Oblivion in which you could go back and forth behind an enemy and keep gaining levels? Doesn't seem to work in Skyrim.

Its exactly the same, iam just hoping that it doesn't pull the same 'everytime you level up everyone in the world also levels up meaning your sneaking is less effective BS.

Basileus777 said:
Is the Morokei mask glitched for anyone else? Ever since I upgraded it (or at least that's when I noticed it), it turns my face invisible.

You can save and reload but it's going to happen again. Been happening to me for a long time. Can't wait to find something better. I like seeing my characters face!

Wallach

subversus said:
WAIT, so you can put on light armor AND ROBES?

It does work for most robes, yes. Some robes have hoods built-in and helms will remove the robe entirely if you try to equip them. Makes me wonder about the bug people were experiencing with
Morokei and Archmage's Robe
since the latter is one of the types with a built-in head portion. I wonder if the fix they are planning (and the reason it is bugged in the way it is) will make that combination impossible.

That said, if you're a mage be careful of those masks in general. They are classified as light armor which will prevent you from getting the benefit of Alteration's Mage Armor perk if you're using it.

angelfly

I didn't have any issue with the Winterhold dorm but that may be because I checked it often to prevent it from reseting. I stored a ton stuff in there as soon as I got it and and kept it there until I bought a house. The only safe storage spots are houses you're specifically given a key to live in.

B68286D326AFDB1AEDC38CB4572DF73852EB1D5E

This is one of my favorite moments in the game so far. I found a dragon on the map and started to fight it. I went to get the Shout first, but that caused a super powerful ghost dude to come out of a coffin. Him and the dragon killed me almost instantly causing the Dragon to do IT'S kill animation where it scooped me in its mouth, shaking me, and letting me go flying off the side of a mountain. :D

I also had a similar moment that I didn't catch where I was trying to get a dragon that was at the bottom of the mountain I was on. I slipped on my way down and died right in front of it.

Then the dragon ate my body.

angelfly

Atomski said:
Legion seems like douche bags to me.
Those Stormcloak rebels saw justice at the end of my blade for their insurrection against the empire. In these troubled times we not to fight amongst ourselves and divide our people. Let all who dare challenge the empire remember them and their plight and where it took them.

Long live the empire!

Einbroch

Banned
angelfly said:
Those Stormcloak rebels saw justice at the end of my blade for their insurrection against the empire. In these troubled times we not to fight amongst ourselves and divide our people. Let all who dare challenge the empire remember them and their plight and where is took them.

Long live the empire!
Preach it.

Long live the Empire!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sitting at work and just thinking about this game; can't wait till I get off to go home and play again. Bethesda you done good. Real good.

Jintor

What's this bullshit about non-level-matching enemies? Bandits in the overworld have all gotten their act together and are now being led by chiefs and maruaders that can tank like motherfuckers. Total bullshit.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Even with a shit camera and a shit TV, Solitude is still fucking gorgeous.

1aUJ2.jpg

That mission for the Thieves Guild where you have to
follow this guy is so ridic. No stealth involved at all, I literally followed 2 steps behind the guy the whole time. It was nuts, I am fighting guys RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM and like, my cover is just not blown whatsoever. It was hilarious. And then I had to put his ass down because he went nuts when I dragonshouted in his direction because some crazy frost mage was fucking my shit up.

Seriously, not getting paid for these thieves guild missions blows. Sure I'm disobeying orders, but fuck, come on, a brother is risking his life while you pansies ain't doing shit. If I get the chance to betray you shitbirds, I will. Your whole organization is shoddy as fuck. I mean, two loading screens t get to your hideout? Fuck out of here. You and the Black Briars are gonna eat shit off my boot if I have anything to say about it.

Also, I think I might side with the Legion when I eventually get around to those missions. They just all together have their shit together. I like their leaders more of the cities I've been too (Whiterun & Solitude vs Riften's corrupt as shit assholes). They're pretty much asking for a couple concessions like religion (which to the people in Solitude at the top, they don't even follow all that strictly) whereas the Stormcloaks got this power hungry asshole breaking everything up. It's not all this clear cut, but for me these are the things it comes down too. At the end of this game I imagine I'll be rather high ranking in this world and I don't feel as though I'd like my rank to have little meaning by allowing a rebellion to break up the empire. Unless I uncover some more dastardly shit against the empire, this is just how things are gonna be to me.

Wallach

BigJonsson said:
How do I get filled soul gems?

You have to cast Soul Trap on something living, then kill it before Soul Trap wears off. Then the soul will place itself into the smallest empty soul gem in your inventory that it can fit inside. There are also weapons that have enchantments to auto-cast Soul Trap on striking, and a perk in Conjuration will make it so any weapons summoned through Bound Weapon spells do the same. Souls of people are considered "black" and will not go into any kind of soul gem except black soul gems; only souls of creatures can be captured in normal soul gems.

Be mindful when going soul trapping, as weak souls will place themselves into large gems if they have no smaller empty soul gem to go into. For example, if you soul trap a Skeever and the only empty soul gem you have is a Grand Soul Gem, you're going to be a sad panda.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
So whats the level cap for the game? I have been looking at the skill trees and damn I want to max out a few of them.

Skyrim just killed my BC launch PS3.

Looks like I'll be trading the game in for the 360 version after all.

And to think I avoided the 360 version because I was afraid of it killing my 360 :(

dalin80

Banned
I have a couple of reanimate spells which work quite well if you need a companion in a pinch and its quite nice at times to bring a bandit back to a bandit camp just so the camp can be attacked by one of its own.

An assassin was sent to kill me, I turned him into a puppet to do my bidding.

civilstrife said:
Skyrim just killed my BC launch PS3.

Looks like I'll be trading the game in for the 360 version after all.

And to think I avoided the 360 version because I was afraid of it killing my 360 :(

I can't play for more than 3 hours on my PS3 :(

dalin80 said:
I have a couple of reanimate spells which work quite well if you need a companion in a pinch and its quite nice at times to bring a bandit back to a bandit camp just so the camp can be attacked by one of its own.

An assassin was sent to kill me, I turned him into a puppet to do my bidding.

my fav part of the game so far

Wallach said:
You have to cast Soul Trap on something living, then kill it before Soul Trap wears off. Then the soul will place itself into the smallest empty soul gem in your inventory that it can fit inside. There are also weapons that have enchantments to auto-cast Soul Trap on striking, and a perk in Conjuration will make it so any weapons summoned through Bound Weapon spells do the same. Souls of people are considered "black" and will not go into any kind of soul gem except black soul gems; only souls of creatures can be captured in normal soul gems.

Be mindful when going soul trapping, as weak souls will place themselves into large gems if they have no smaller empty soul gem to go into. For example, if you soul trap a Skeever and the only empty soul gem you have is a Grand Soul Gem, you're going to be a sad panda.

Guess I should try and grab that spell then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom