• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I figured, if my character is going to do lots of Violence on her Skyrim journey, might as well be called Violence.

Slermy

Blizzard said:
As I mentioned earlier, I named my character after someone from Game of Thrones (Brienne), and so did at least one other person in this thread.

Two time-related questions:
  • Is there a way to track your gameplay time outside of Steam, since the Steam "played" hours are inaccurate as far as I know (judging from TF2 etc.)?
  • Is there a way to see what the ingame time is, so you can tell when 48 hours have passed etc.? I know the time appears if you choose to wait/sleep, but can you just view the current time without waiting?

Your Save Game will list hours played on the save/load list.

Pulling up your menu will list the current time in the bottom right hand corner.

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon said:
Married Orla, a Priestess of Dibella. I know, right? However, when I try to get her to move home, she agrees but stays in the temple. Some coding issue is causing her to stay at the Temple rather than go home. I did find the AddFac command, and figured I might be able to remove her faction marker for the Temple of Dibella, but have no idea as to how I can find that id#. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts here?
Quoting because this got buried.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ckohler said:
What is the level cap? Some places say 50 but others don't. Which is it?

Ted Howard:

"We do balance this game," he said. "The levelling is faster. Oblivion and Fallout 3, we think of them as 1-25 games. This is a 1-50.

"But what that means is we just sped it up. It's not like it's going to take you longer. There are so many perks and the power really comes from the perks, we wanted to get it going faster.

"You level faster in the beginning and then it slows down."

While most players will max out the game at level 50, Skyrim has a "mathematical" level cap "probably somewhere in the 70s", Howard said.

Slermy

DEO3 said:
Is it wrong to dress Lydia in Forsworn armor, even though I could craft her Legendary Dragonplate? If so, I don't want to be right.

It's only wrong if you don't at least improve the armor through smithing or enchantments.

MacBosse

Ok so the dude at the bottom of the 7000 steps ...

Freakin' liar! "I've only battled with wolfs up there, nothing to challenging for the likes of you". Sweet! No ... So far I have met a ice sabre that kicked my ass, then a frost troll that kicked my ass and then a dragon swoops down and starts handing me my ass ...

Sigh, Skyrim how I love you.

Woorloog

Banned
abundant said:
The hardcap is 80. To do that requires you to grind all 18 skills to 100.
According to UESP:
The game imposes a soft cap at level 50. Past level 50, leveling up happens much more slowly. The theoretical level cap (maximum level) is level 81, reached by increasing all skills to 100.(tested with player.advskill console cheat)

One implication of the leveling system is that although it is possible to create a character with 100 in all skills, it is not possible for one character to unlock all skill perks. There are more than 250 total skill perks (including multi-point perks), but only around 80 of them can be unlocked by any given character.

ckohler

abundant said:
The hardcap is 80. To do that requires you to grind all 18 skills to 100.
So wait. I still don't understand. Why does Tod Howard say it's 50 when it's really 80? What happens when I reach level 50? Is it impossible for me to get more perks?

scy

ckohler said:
So wait. I still don't understand. Why does Tod Howard say it's 50 when it's really 80? What happens when I reach level 50? Is it impossible for me to get more perks?

1-50 is a normal leveling curve; 51+ takes longer. You will still earn perks. Also, I believe the scaling mechanic (for enemies) cuts off at 50, though I'm meaning to test that theory out with some level 200+ characters when I get the chance this weekend.

Basically, up to 50 is normal progression; 51 to 81 (the cap when you 100 all your skills) will take more time than you'd normally expect.

pahamrick

Dice said:
Marriage is bugged all to fuck. I just got married 7 times trying to figure out what was going on.

1. When I said "I do" she started walking the fuck out while the priest was still talking. If you let her do this, she will disappear forever. Spam B to get out of the priest-talk and talk to her.

2. If your wife doesn't live in an actual house, like Senna, who I married, you must tell them to live with you or they will disappear forever.

3. I lost two fucking hours of gameplay because I didn't expect this bug and didn't realize there was no finding her until all my autosaves were post-bug. Ugggghhh...

I had this same exact thing happen, but for me she didn't disappear forever she just ended up going back to the temple. Waiting about 12 hours then going back to the temple should fix it.

Two questions:

1) Is there a way to tell my companion what to equip? When I look at Lydia's inventory, it's showing her as wearing no chest or bracer items whatsoever, yet she is carrying a steel armor and steel gauntlets that she doesn't bother putting on.

2) How am I supposed to be using negative effect potions? It's not like I can force my enemy to drink them, is it? I was told you can slip it in their pocket while pickpocketing, which I find silly and nonsensical, but I'm not much of a sneaky type character so are there other uses to those potions?

Woorloog

Banned
Kurtofan said:
Playing on Xbox360, I can't switch to first person mode ever since I became a
werewolf
My saves before that are fine.
Desing, not a bug. Probably. You can't use first person while riding either.
xtrasauce said:
Two questions:

1) Is there a way to tell my companion what to equip? When I look at Lydia's inventory, it's showing her as wearing no chest or bracer items whatsoever, yet she is carrying a steel armor and steel gauntlets that she doesn't bother putting on.

2) How am I supposed to be using negative effect potions? It's not like I can force my enemy to drink them, is it? I was told you can slip it in their pocket while pickpocketing, which I find silly and nonsensical, but I'm not much of a sneaky type character so are there other uses to those potions?
1)Companions equip only better stuff than they're currently wearing. Steel stuff isn't good enough alone for Lydia apparently. Improve them and try again.
2)To use a poison, ie Negative potion, "drink" it while you have a weapon equipped. The weapon is now poisoned. Hit something. If you poison a bow, you better hit or the poison is lost.

B-Dex

ckohler said:

It means they balanced the end game around being lvl ~50.

pahamrick

xtrasauce said:
Two questions:

From what I've seen Lydia only equips that stuff whenever you take her with her, in my experience at least. I've given her a full set of Orcish armor and she's wearing it when she's with me, but whenever I send her back to the house she's wearing her default outfit.

Darkone

i really want to start the game but i dont know know if i should becuase of its being a time consuimg, i am thinking of focusing on the main story quests.

are the side quests worth doing here, are they giving good rewards?

Has anyone really hit their "stride" with Alchemy yet? I only have the first perk unlocked but I am finding the effects very short lived on my bow. Does it get better? Do you find that poisons become worth it with additional perks?

I love foraging for shit so I might as well use them, just wondering if I should save my perks for other skills.

This game is amazing. I thought Morrowind and Oblivion were horrid but I can't get enough of this game. I just think about my Skyrim "to do list" all day at work.

Woorloog

Banned
Kurtofan said:
I can't switch when I'm not transformed either.
*frown* ookaayy... that's a bug then... probably. You sure you're pressing the correct button (right stick by default)? You haven't changed it?
Just making sure. Try starting another character and see if that one can use first person.

bengraven said:
I still think it's going to be Elswyr. The treatment of the Khajiits and their long talks about Elswyr makes me wonder.

You think a game featuring cat people is gonna go well with mainstream? It'd have to be a race that resembled white people (DAS WASIST etc.). So we've done Imperials and Nords, now we have Breton. Maybe Bosmer or Altmer would pass too.

I totally want Elswyr =(. Would make M'aiq happy to be on warm sands

scy

gutterboy44 said:
Has anyone really hit their "stride" with Alchemy yet? I only have the first perk unlocked but I am finding the effects very short lived on my bow. Does it get better? Do you find that poisons become worth it with additional perks?

Bow poisons are one-shot wonders. You can eventually get Poisons that basically kill the target with the front-loaded damage (or via Lingering Damage as you get better damage out of it) though; somewhere in the 120-140 mark isn't impossible later.

However, Alchemy functions a lot like Enchanting in that you basically need to boost it via perks to get the most out of it. If you're going to use Alchemy, be prepared to actually need to invest in the +20-100% perk.

xtrasauce said:
Lydia is wearing a full set of Steel armor by default when you get her, including a steel sword and shield.

Kurtofan

Woorloog said:
*frown* ookaayy... that's a bug then... probably. You sure you're pressing the correct button (right stick by default)? You haven't changed it?
Just making sure. Try starting another character and see if that one can use first person.
I'll just restart the ceremony and if the bug's still there, I'll just skip that thing.

ckohler

Thanks everyone for explaining the level cap thing. Bethesda and most places don't make it very clear. They should just say:
  • Players will level up to level 50 normally (providing 50 perks)
  • Levels 51-80 take considerably longer (providing 30 additional perks)
  • Enemies only go to up level ~50

Wilbur

Banned
AiTM said:
The Mighty Nord
0DB5876F038B71C8C6876047F98BA72689E348CF

This is early game, first few hours, im 50 hours in now.
What is this armour? I saw someone earlier saying they wore wolf and deer, I thought you could only make it into leather?

Dresden

narcosis219 said:
You think a game featuring cat people is gonna go well with mainstream? It'd have to be a race that resembled white people (DAS WASIST etc.). So we've done Imperials and Nords, now we have Breton. Maybe Dunmer or Altmer would pass too.

I totally want Elswyr =(. Would make M'aiq happy to be on warm sands
It'd work if Elsweyr was settled or in the process of being settled by Aldmeri colonists.

Somewhere desert-ish would be cool too - maybe some love given to Redguard lands.

AiTM

Banned
Wilbury said:
What is this armour? I saw someone earlier saying they wore wolf and deer, I thought you could only make it into leather?

That was like hour 2 in the game, and I'm on hour 50, so I dont really remember. I didnt make it though, it was loot off a body. Probably wouldn't be hard to find off a bandit, just try some on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How do I find out who has been sending the Dark Brotherhood after me? The only notes assassins have on them is a notice that I'm now a target.

Do I have to join the DB to find out?

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
A couple of housemates were watching me when I was doing character creation, one of them said something like "Call him Windy Flaps".

So I named him Whindflaps.

Izuna

Banned
ckohler said:
Thanks everyone for explaining the level cap thing. Bethesda and most places don't make it very clear. They should just say:
  • Players will level up to level 50 normally (providing 50 perks)
  • Levels 51-80 take considerably longer (providing 30 additional perks)
  • Enemies only go to up level ~50

Minor error you've made. You don't start with a perk. You get 80 perks at level 81.

scy said:
Bow poisons are one-shot wonders. You can eventually get Poisons that basically kill the target with the front-loaded damage (or via Lingering Damage as you get better damage out of it) though; somewhere in the 120-140 mark isn't impossible later.

However, Alchemy functions a lot like Enchanting in that you basically need to boost it via perks to get the most out of it. If you're going to use Alchemy, be prepared to actually need to invest in the +20-100% perk.

Oh shit, didn't realize it was a single arrow shot. Will make them count next time. Thanks for the heads up. I think I am going to grind Speech skill tonight. I need it easier to off load my stolen goods.

I never used to steal in games or be evil. I am a god damn klepto in this game. It is so fun planning my "heists". I still consider myself a kind hearted cat man, but I gots the sticky fingers paws.

Jarlaxle

I'm a mage user primarily but I've been using the spell bound sword quite a bit. I notice my conjuration levels up by conjuring the sword but my 1 handed fighting also levels up as well. If I use perk points on 1 handed fighting will it increase the damage I do with the bound weapon or is that tied only to conjuration? Any clues?

Cetra

I just rerolled Nord. The game got 20% cooler almost instantaneously. Totally going to join the Stormcloaks, screw the Imperials! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom