• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
izunadono said:
It seems that your EXP Stacks even when you forget to level up. I instantly levelled up from 15 to 19. Maybe I should increase the difficulty from Adept to something higher, 'cause I really don't appear to need any Perks.

I'm Imperial by the way, and I use an Enchanted Blades Sword I made. Soul Gems are so easy to come by. I love the balance on the game though. Seriously, the Dragon Shouts are the best bit. Gets me excited every time I use one.
Are you really level 19 and haven't spent any Perk points yet? You're really missing out if that's the case.

It has little to do with the difficulty really and more to do with just giving you more options and making things more fun and strategic. I assume you're using a shield with that sword - but if you spent perks you'd be able to block arrows, actually use your shield bash offensively, slow down time with power blocks, etc. Spell perks will give you things like dual-casting, duration increases, higher effect ranges, Archery will let you zoom in with shots, slow time, stagger enemies... stuff like that. It's all in fun; probably only about half the perks are percentage increase to damage/armor or whatever.

angelfly

Chairhome said:
So, I'm a little confused when it comes to soul trapping. I'm using a bound sword which I had the impression would steal a soul of someone i killed and trap it in a soul gem. I have plenty of soul gems that are not filled. Is there any sort of animation or something i have to do after dealing a killing blow with a bound sword in order to get the soul? Or is it just a chance to steal soul and I'm not hitting it very often?
You need the perk to allow the bound weapons to steal souls.

EXGN

This has probably been answered a number of times, but is there anyway to break down weapons and armors into their component pieces? For example, put in iron armor and get back leather and iron ignots?

Trying to upgrade my stuff/level my smithing but buying dwarven ignots and what not is kind expensive. On the flipside, I get tons of dwarven swords from dungeons...

Derrick01

Banned
HawksWinStanley said:
So has any race been deemed "better" than the rest? I'm starting this game tonight and was just wondering if making my dude a certain race would give me a noticeable advantage over others.

Nope it just depends on what you want to play as. A thief? Then go with Argonian or Khajit.

Orcs and Nords have great warrior bonuses. But over time anyone can be anything since the game lets you level what you want. It's just that some races give really good starting bonuses for certain areas that can give you an early game advantage.

AiTM

Banned
HawksWinStanley said:
So has any race been deemed "better" than the rest? I'm starting this game tonight and was just wondering if making my dude a certain race would give me a noticeable advantage over others.

The Mighty Nord
0DB5876F038B71C8C6876047F98BA72689E348CF

This is early game, first few hours, im 50 hours in now.

Esch

Banned
Smithing/improving enchanted stuff comes in wayy too late. A lot of the early/mid-game enchanted gear ended up getting sold for me because it was just shit in comparison to my tempered vanilla steel and armor, and that just makes unique loot kinda useless for a while.

I would have them set the perk around the time you get elven/dwarf armor.

Sarcasm

EschatonDX said:
Smithing/improving enchanted stuff comes in wayy too late. A lot of the early/mid-game enchanted gear ended up getting sold for me because it was just shit in comparison to my tempered vanilla steel and armor, and that just makes unique loot kinda useless for a while.

I would have them set the perk around the time you get elven/dwarf armor.

Did you at least disenchant some instead of selling all the enchanted items?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Marriage is bugged all to fuck. I just got married 7 times trying to figure out what was going on.

1. When I said "I do" she started walking the fuck out while the priest was still talking. If you let her do this, she will disappear forever. Spam B to get out of the priest-talk and talk to her.

2. If your wife doesn't live in an actual house, like Senna, who I married, you must tell them to live with you or they will disappear forever.

3. I lost two fucking hours of gameplay because I didn't expect this bug and didn't realize there was no finding her until all my autosaves were post-bug. Ugggghhh...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AiTM, fucking incredible screenshot.

Marco1 said:
Played the golden claw retrieval quest last night. Are most quests this long and involved?
I thought it was going to be a simple 15 minute run-through.
I assume you kept going after you got the claw... opened the door with it and everything. The actual claw quest is short but you pushed forward and actually did another quest, specifically,
If you picked up that Dragon Stone at the end, got the new shout, etc that was going to be your next main quest mission but now when you go up that quest you'll be able to complete it almost instantly by just telling the guy you already recovered the stone.

TCRS

Banned
lol @ horses

They'r worse than in Oblivion. No 1st person, crap animation and controls. But besides the simplified clothing system (why o why?) it's the only downside so far. I hardly even notice the texture problems anymore. And the world is just unbelievably beautiful!

Skyrim really gives hope that the casualisation-of-great-games era is over.

scy

Chairhome said:
That makes sense! I guess I'll have to track down the soul trap spell now. Thanks.

Should be purchasable from the
Jarl's Wizard in Whiterun; it's near the bottom of the list

Speaking of Soul Trap, grinding souls to fill the smaller gems is getting to be a hassle. I need a small field with respawning Deer or something so I don't have to chase them down across the entire countryside :/

Derrick01 said:
Nope it just depends on what you want to play as. A thief? Then go with Argonian or Khajit.

Orcs and Nords have great warrior bonuses. But over time anyone can be anything since the game lets you level what you want. It's just that some races give really good starting bonuses for certain areas that can give you an early game advantage.

This is my first TES game and I'm kind of digging the Dark Elves. I pretty much want to be an offensive force with magic and weaponry and archery. But if the Dark Elves are going to sour the first part of the experience because I'm struggling to kill anything then I'd rather just start with a different race.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Not sure if this was posted here, but I often see people in this thread post about the lack of hotkeys using the 360 gamepad on PC. Here is a mod that expands hotkeys. Havent tried it out myself yet, im at work.

If anyone is interested, try it out and let me know how it is!

Expanded Hotkeys

EDIT; It allows for all 8 dpad directions to be mapped

Izuna

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Are you really level 19 and haven't spent any Perk points yet? You're really missing out if that's the case.

It has little to do with the difficulty really and more to do with just giving you more options and making things more fun and strategic. I assume you're using a shield with that sword - but if you spent perks you'd be able to block arrows, actually use your shield bash offensively, slow down time with power blocks, etc. Spell perks will give you things like dual-casting, duration increases, higher effect ranges, Archery will let you zoom in with shots, slow time, stagger enemies... stuff like that. It's all in fun; probably only about half the perks are percentage increase to damage/armor or whatever.

Yeah I know =( I'm not doing myself a favour. I went through Deus Ex: Human Revolution hardly upgrading on my only playthrough, and I don't do second playthroughs on very long games so I really missed out.

It's a mentality I have about only using/spending things if it's needed, and it applies to games for me too to keep it immersive. I've been tempted to choose some as my health drains too low but usually I have so much healing potions, or I can level up to restore it all.

scy

HawksWinStanley said:
This is my first TES game and I'm kind of digging the Dark Elves. I pretty much want to be an offensive force with magic and weaponry and archery. But if the Dark Elves are going to sour the first part of the experience because I'm struggling to kill anything then I'd rather just start with a different race.

Dark Elf is fine for that. Again, it's just a few skill points here or there, really; we're talking things you can alleviate within the first few hours. You should have no trouble outside of that being a rather spread thin focus.

coopolon

I kind of want to start leveling up alchemy and smithing so that I can start making myself amazing gear, but doing so will probably put me at almost level 50 and I've barely even started the main quest, haven't even touched dark Brotherhood or Thieves, haven't visited half the cities, etc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I play Dark Elf with a mix of weapons and magic, and had no problems in the early hours.

Drazgul

You should pick the race based on their looks and racials, not the skill bonuses; they hardly make any difference in the long run.

ced

I came up on a plateau in the tundra area that has stones similar to stonehenge, the view from there is incredible. You can see across what seems the entire map, Riften one way and some other huge city another.

DEO3

Is it wrong to dress Lydia in Forsworn armor, even though I could craft her Legendary Dragonplate? If so, I don't want to be right.

Zeliard

Drazgul said:
You should pick the race based on their looks and racials, not the skill bonuses; they hardly make any difference in the long run.

The skill bonuses are mostly irrelevant outside of the early game, but some of the racial bonuses can be pretty good. My char is a Dunmer with natural 50% fire resistance and is wearing dwarven boots that have 40% fire resistance. Fire does laughably little damage to me even on Master.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I didn't realize how useful Smithing was at first since I thought you could just buy/find the armor in the various sets. I still worked on it because I thought it was a cool concept. Then I started taking perks in the tree and began improving my armor and weapons. Combined with the perks from the One-Handed and Heavy Armor trees, my guy is a goddamn melee beast. I'm only Level 21 and I'm already taking down Blood Dragons and Giants with little trouble. (Unless of course that's about what level they should be tackled.)

If anyone plans on going melee, I highly recommend taking Smithing. The difference between vanilla and improved weapons/armor is extremely useful. The higher your Smithing skill, the better quality you can improve to. I can get items to Exquisite quality, and there are still three ranks higher than that.

Frillen

Main quest question:
I just got the Elder Scroll, and now I'm supposed to read it at the Time-Wound. Where is that? There's no icon on the map.

coopolon

Frillen said:
Main quest question:
I just got the Elder Scroll, and now I'm supposed to read it at the Time-Wound. Where is that? There's no icon on the map.

Fuuuu, preview your post to make sure your spoilers worked!

MEATER

prowler_ said:
Or your house.

I found it rude that she moved herself in until I found out she's supposed to protect your house :p

Thanks, guys!

Don't have a house yet, still saving up...

Are all houses the same price? Or are there cheaper houses than the one offered to you in Whiterun?

Dresden

While I sympathize with the Stormcloaks' wish for independence and all, Ulfric is a creep and they're all xenophobic blond people which makes me go with the Imperials. Ave, Caesar and all that. Imperials would be improved if they mass-crucified people.

scy said:
Speaking of Soul Trap, grinding souls to fill the smaller gems is getting to be a hassle. I need a small field with respawning Deer or something so I don't have to chase them down across the entire countryside :/
Illusion has a spell called "Courage", it forces anything you cast it on to attack you and not run away but also increases their health slightly. It's a good spell to cast on your companion but, better yet, it works really well when hunting deer :)

TheContact

I'm still having delay issues with the Menu and the Favorites menu. A poster here told me to disable the "Save on menu" option, which I did, but even after doing that it didn't change anything. I still get a 2-3 second delay sometimes where I can't select anything after opening Menu or Favorites. I saw other people having this issue, so is there a different way to fix it? It's not THAT big of a deal, but it's annoying because I'm a pure Mage and I go to my favorites menu a lot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Flim Flam said:
Not sure if this was posted here, but I often see people in this thread post about the lack of hotkeys using the 360 gamepad on PC. Here is a mod that expands hotkeys. Havent tried it out myself yet, im at work.

If anyone is interested, try it out and let me know how it is!

Expanded Hotkeys

EDIT; It allows for all 8 dpad directions to be mapped
This sounds pretty great, although I sort of can't understand why there's no quicksave map, and what he means by this:
Included in the file are the hex codes for the 360 buttons and how to use them should you wish to change them. I advise against adding a key for Quicksave+Quickload to a combination as currently setting it to any button causes it to save/load your game randomly if you press one of the buttons.

scy

Houston3000 said:
Illusion has a spell called "Courage", it forces anything you cast it on to attack you and not run away but also increases their health slightly. It's a good spell to cast on your companion but, better yet, it works really well when hunting deer :)

True; should make killing them easier, at least.

It's more annoying finding 20-30+ things to off, though :/ I got lucky last night with a massive dungeon of non-Humans to Soul Trap but I ran out of Gems part way through. I may just buy out all the pre-filled Soul Gems instead of hunting critters down. Finally got a Banish enchant last night so cash concerns are pretty much non-existent (hooray ~2000 value Iron Daggers!).

bengraven

The Thalmor are the only reason I don't go Imperial. Because it feels like the Dominion is going to overthrow the Emperor someday, possibly soon, and I'd rather not side with that.

I'll just kick here in my backwoods fort: Deep Forest 9.

PONGSTAR

Banned
Sarcasm said:
You basically learn what the enchantment is on the item. The item gets destroyed in the process.
I see, thanks. I have about 10 enchanted items stored in my house now so I shoudl probably disenchant some of them. Now, I just need to figure out which ones so I don't waste any of them that I've already learned (or does it warn you before you do that?)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I went Stormcloak and then
Invaded Whiterun and realised half way through that I was responsible for getting my own house set on fire, haven't been in to check on my piles of random junk yet hope it survived

PONGSTAR said:
I see, thanks. I have about 10 enchanted items stored in my house now so I shoudl probably disenchant some of them. Now, I just need to figure out which ones so I don't waste any of them that I've already learned (or does it warn you before you do that?)

It doesn't let you learn enchantments twice, you're safe.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Hawkian said:
This sounds pretty great, although I sort of can't understand why there's no quicksave map, and what he means by this:

I dunno, I wont be able to play with it until I get home for the evening. Looking over the button mapping, perhaps he means dont map QuickSave to the combo "DPad Up + X" or something. Sounds like it might try to trigger some other event.

scy

PONGSTAR said:

You can't select ones to Disenchant that you already know the Enchantment for (i.e., you know Fortify Magicka so any of the items that give just +Magicka will not be Disenchantable. They'll be on the list but greyed out).

belvedere

Junior Butler
Took the rig out to the living room and played comfy couch style. Holy hell, what an experience. The already amazing experience was enhanced on a much larger display @ 1080p with surround sound. I managed to get my PS3 controller working with an old Bluetooth dongle so I can sit back and relax.

Dresden

I really hope the next game has you striking back at the Thalmor. I mean, they do purges in Elsweyr and shit. Not only are they evil, they're elves meaning they have that 10x snob factor going on.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Dresden said:
While I sympathize with the Stormcloaks' wish for independence and all, Ulfric is a creep and they're all xenophobic blond people which makes me go with the Imperials. Ave, Caesar and all that. Imperials would be improved if they mass-crucified people.

lol my friends were like "why don't you like the stormcloaks" and I was like "because they are nord supremacists...fuck them"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom