• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Chairhome said:
That makes sense! I guess I'll have to track down the soul trap spell now. Thanks.

After you get that perk you'll also know when you've successfully trapped a soul because a message will come up. It'll also tell you if you've failed to capture a soul if you don't have a big enough empty soul gem for that particular enemy.

Dresden said:
While I sympathize with the Stormcloaks' wish for independence and all, Ulfric is a creep and they're all xenophobic blond people which makes me go with the Imperials. Ave, Caesar and all that. Imperials would be improved if they mass-crucified people.

If you're playing as a Dunmer in particular you have a choice between a group of rotten assholes and a group of rotten assholes. And they get even worse as you delve more into the story.

Mindman

carfo said:
I'm still having delay issues with the Menu and the Favorites menu. A poster here told me to disable the "Save on menu" option, which I did, but even after doing that it didn't change anything. I still get a 2-3 second delay sometimes where I can't select anything after opening Menu or Favorites. I saw other people having this issue, so is there a different way to fix it? It's not THAT big of a deal, but it's annoying because I'm a pure Mage and I go to my favorites menu a lot.

Me as well. Anyone?

Esch

Banned
Dresden said:
I really hope the next game has you striking back at the Thalmor. I mean, they do purges in Elsweyr and shit. Not only are they evil, they're elves meaning they have that 10x snob factor going on.

The next TES game is guaranteed Summerset Isles or Valenwood. I can taste it.

Personally my dream TES game is a return to Akavir. God i want it so bad...

thetrin said:
I play Dark Elf with a mix of weapons and magic, and had no problems in the early hours.

scy said:
Dark Elf is fine for that. Again, it's just a few skill points here or there, really; we're talking things you can alleviate within the first few hours. You should have no trouble outside of that being a rather spread thin focus.

Drazgul said:
You should pick the race based on their looks and racials, not the skill bonuses; they hardly make any difference in the long run.

Good stuff, thanks guys.

Salaadin

I wonder if there will be dragons in future TES games.Skyrim is about the return of dragons but Im wondering if they all leave again at the end of the story or if they are here to stay.

bengraven

So other than the first time I got attacked at lvl 3 by thugs who are angry that I stole something, I haven't been attacked yet in 30 hours. I guess it's only once?

That would suck: come at me bros! with your leveled dwarf armor...

EschatonDX said:
The next TES game is guaranteed Summerset Isles or Valenwood. I can taste it.

Personally my dream TES game is a return to Akavir. God i want it so bad...

I still think it's going to be Elswyr. The treatment of the Khajiits and their long talks about Elswyr makes me wonder.

Salaadin said:
I wonder if there will be dragons in future TES games.Skyrim is about the return of dragons but Im wondering if they all leave again at the end of the story or if they are here to stay.

I think the dragons are an experiment into what else they can do. I can tell you that the next game will likely have a lot more random encounters with giant beasts.

webrunner said:
Hands up: Who else made a Khajiit based on their cat?

*raises hand*

Named after him too lol.

Regarding horses ... I lost him, no idea where he is. is that a complete wasted of a 1000g because I really want him back. Anyway to find him?

Lakitu

st5fu
So I just had a pretty amazing boss fight with
Sigdis Gaulurson at Geirmund's Hall
. He was one tough son of a bitch, he even disarmed me.

I also got an
enchanted bow from him called Gauldur Blackbow, does 16 damage and it absorbs 20 points of magicka. If I were using archery, I'd be into this.

I also got a quest at the beginning of the dungeon called Forbidden Legends.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Anyone using a controller on PC, how do you attach favorite settings to the dpad? I've favorited weapons/spells but not all cycle via the dpad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bengraven said:
So other than the first time I got attacked at lvl 3 by thugs who are angry that I stole something, I haven't been attacked yet in 30 hours. I guess it's only once?

I still think it's going to be Elswyr. The treatment of the Khajiits and their long talks about Elswyr makes me wonder.

I think the dragons are an experiment into what else they can do. I can tell you that the next game will likely have a lot more random encounters with giant beasts.
Hope so. Love to bring over my character's descendant as a native. :D

Vestal

belvedere said:
Anyone using a controller on PC, how do you attach favorite settings to the dpad? I've favorited weapons/spells but not all cycle via the dpad.

Thats weird.. They all cycle for me...

Nothing better than running skyrim ultra on a 50inch plasma

Esch

Banned
bengraven said:

I doubt Bethesda wants to make a nonhumanoid province the subject of a game though. Unless they retcon it and it gets invaded or repopulated or something.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Vestal said:
Thats weird.. They all cycle for me...

Nothing better than running skyrim ultra on a 50inch plasma

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. So IIRC (just setup the controller last night), up and down brings up the list, but left and right changes your weapon/spells on the fly. When I use left and right I'm not cycling through everything I've favorited.

HTuran

Update time!

Properly finished the Thieves' Guild (all those stupid small missions). Worth it just for the closure it brings. For those wondering,
you get Guild Master armour (better enchantments than regular) and four merchants in the Flaggon.

Was getting really tired of the game, so I enchanted a bow with Soul Trap and went hunting. Defeated a named dragon alongside a giant, which then turned on me. Killed him and took his soul. Found an unmarked ruin with a puzzle, which gave me a destruction skill book. Defeated a sabre cat that had taken over a hunters' lookout, giving me plenty of leather. Found and wiped out a sunken fortress filled with necromancers.

So really, if you're feeling tired with the game, just head out into the wilderness. So much to see.

garath

bengraven said:

I've gotten randomly attacked twice. First time was I just left a dungeon and I was beset by mercenaries with a contract out on me. They were toting dwarven two handed weapons which HURT. Fortunately I sneak everywhere so I had a split second to do a dual handed power sneak attack which one shotted the first guy. The other two I took care of pretty quickly.Turns out Hilde from Whiterun put out a contract on me. How she found out I robbed her blind while she slept is beyond me......

Another time I was chasing down a deer for its hide and I turn around after skinning it to see a thief wearing elven armor. He demands all my money. My attempt to intimidate him failed so rather than give up my hard earned coin I attacked. He was a little tougher as he fought just like me, fast and light. Fortunately I was able to overcome him as well. Though barely.

Those type of encounters are pretty damn awesome. Hilde may have thought herself smart for putting a contract out on me but she's going to learn what it means to mess with a member of the Dark Brotherhood. There will be revenge...

scy

garath said:
Turns out Hilde from Whiterun put out a contract on me. How she found out I robbed her blind while she slept is beyond me......

I feel like I got robbed out of a fun little revenge when my would-be assassins were hired by ... a Whiterun Guard.

Damn!

Esch

Banned
Wait a minute... Doing those procedural quests actually gives you good stuff at one point?

Oh god, there goes another 20 hours

bengraven

garath said:
I've gotten randomly attacked twice. First time was I just left a dungeon and I was beset by mercenaries with a contract out on me. They were toting dwarven two handed weapons which HURT. Fortunately I sneak everywhere so I had a split second to do a dual handed power sneak attack which one shotted the first guy. The other two I took care of pretty quickly.Turns out Hilde from Whiterun put out a contract on me. How she found out I robbed her blind while she slept is beyond me......

Another time I was chasing down a deer for its hide and I turn around after skinning it to see a thief wearing elven armor. He demands all my money. My attempt to intimidate him failed so rather than give up my hard earned coin I attacked. He was a little tougher as he fought just like me, fast and light. Fortunately I was able to overcome him as well. Though barely.

Those type of encounters are pretty damn awesome. Hilde may have thought herself smart for putting a contract out on me but she's going to learn what it means to mess with a member of the Dark Brotherhood. There will be revenge...

I was leaving Riverwood Trader and saw the thugs walking into town. They came at me, heavy armored and duel wielding axes versus a newly born light armor bow wielding thief. It was over quick. I later found a way to exploit them, somewhat.

Since they walked calmly until they were within a few feet from you, I ran away quickly to the end of town. There is that wall on your way out of town toward Bleak Falls. I went up the ramp and to the very end where I could see them, still half a town away and swaggering toward me.

So I waited until they were spaced out enough to not pull aggro, then shot the first one with a sneak attack. I kept firing as he ran up the ramp and his first buddy joined him. When they were close enough I switched out to fire and torched them as they started basically beating me like a fat kid at recess. Potions, potions and I was able to beat them in melee, then could heal before the next guy came.

Then I read the letter on them and someone named Moira sent them after me? Apparently it's quite common for her to send thieves this early on. I wonder when I finally confront her (I just found out who she is and won't spoil it) I can say something about it. But I think it's a glitch and that I stole something IDed as hers, possibly the stuff in Anise's cabin.

EschatonDX said:
I doubt Bethesda wants to make a nonhumanoid province the subject of a game though. Unless they retcon it and it gets invaded or repopulated or something.

Isn't there literature in the game that says the Aldmeri are now looking to Elswyr and Black Marsh for their next invasion?

Would be fun to see the next game in the series is 30 years after Skyrim and now the Dominion rules the entire world, except Skyrim (much like how Morrowind was the last independant state for centuries), and now you are tasked at rebuilding the Empire.

Or you need to find some little fish monger who happens to be like 1/64th Septim AND CLOSE SHUT THE JAWS OF OBLIVION.

garath

bengraven said:
I was leaving Riverwood Trader and saw the thugs walking into town. They came at me, heavy armored and duel wielding axes versus a newly born light armor bow wielding thief. It was over quick. I later found a way to exploit them, somewhat.

Since they walked calmly until they were within a few feet from you, I ran away quickly to the end of town. There is that wall on your way out of town toward Bleak Falls. I went up the ramp and to the very end where I could see them, still half a town away and swaggering toward me.

So I waited until they were spaced out enough to not pull aggro, then shot the first one with a sneak attack. I kept firing as he ran up the ramp and his first buddy joined him. When they were close enough I switched out to fire and torched them as they started basically beating me like a fat kid at recess. Potions, potions and I was able to beat them in melee, then could heal before the next guy came.

Then I read the letter on them and someone named Moira sent them after me? Apparently it's quite common for her to send thieves this early on. I wonder when I finally confront her (I just found out who she is and won't spoil it) I can say something about it. But I think it's a glitch and that I stole something IDed as hers, possibly the stuff in Anise's cabin.

Isn't there literature in the game that says the Aldmeri are now looking to Elswyr and Black Marsh for their next invasion?

Would be fun to see the next game in the series is 30 years after Skyrim and now the Dominion rules the entire world, except Skyrim (much like how Morrowind was the last independant state for centuries), and now you are tasked at rebuilding the Empire.

Or you need to find some little fish monger who happens to be like 1/64th Septim AND CLOSE SHUT THE JAWS OF OBLIVION.

Nice :)

I didn't think of confronting the person who put out the contract. I wonder if there is any dialog for it. That would be kinda cool.

Dyno

Zeliard said:
If you're playing as a Dunmer in particular you have a choice between a group of rotten assholes and a group of rotten assholes. And they get even worse as you delve more into the story.

I'm really liking that there isn't a clear choice for sides. I've seen and heard unsettling things from the Nords but at the same time the Imperials were willing to cut my head off simply because I was found in the back of a bloody wagon.

I'm still holding out for siding with the dragons and purging Skyrim of the lot of them! Maybe I should stop killing them on sight if I want to try that.

GhaleonEB

On second thought stopping by the inn for a drink or two (or three) before continuing my quest wasn't such a hot idea. My head....where the hell am I? Something about goats and marriage?!

I found a dead thief laying on the ground in Riften at night. Guessing he got caught...but not before he scored some loot, which I liberated from him.

Plasmid

Was looking for high hrothgar and found a toll road with bandits, cleared em out and jumped off the tower into the stream.

Also jumping off waterfalls Is awesome.

HTuran

EschatonDX said:
Wait a minute... Doing those procedural quests actually gives you good stuff at one point?

Oh god, there goes another 20 hours
If you're talking about the Thieves' Guild, listen up!

Every mission you get will be in one of four cities: Whiterun, Winterhold, Markath or Riften. Do five missions in a city and you'll get a 'special quest', which is an awesome little stealth mission. This is where the questline shines, IMO.

Each 'special quest' brings a merchant to the Flaggon. Do all four 'special quests' and you'll finally (guild ending spoilers)
become guild master, as promised in the Nightingale questline.

Zeliard

The higher-tier resurrect spells don't add additional time if you use them on lower-level enemies, right? Casting Revenant on a lower-level enemy is presumably just a waste of mana.

Dyno said:
I'm really liking that there isn't a clear choice for sides. I've seen and heard unsettling things from the Nords but at the same time the Imperials were willing to cut my head off simply because I was found in the back of a bloody wagon.

Yeah, definitely a choice of the lesser evil.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Had a mission to return a Lexicon thingy to a place. Incredible mission.

Lexicon was a cube shaped Dwarf Item. Reminded me slightly of Lemarchand's box from Hellraiser. Given to me by a Cat lady when I came to Rifton. She was terrified out of her mind, and gave me this thing to return to it's home, a dwarf dungeon.

When I get there, I start hearing voices of people talking, so I hide from them and listen. They too are looking for the Lexicon. After they move further into the dungeon, I follow. I eventually come up on them again, when I realize, they aren't really there, it's some kind of past memory playback of the group of 4 thieves, including the cat lady that gave me the Lexicon.

They've been hired to get the Lexicon, which stores the entire knowledge of the Long Deceased Dwarf race.

As I (and they) move further in, they get more and more scared of the place (and the Dwarven machines). Eventually, I come across a body, and it's one of the 4. Right afterwards, a scene plays out where that guy says he's had enough, and heads back towards the entrance (which he obviously didn't make).

As I head further in, I see 1 more body, then when I finally get to the chamber where I need to return the Lexicon, there's the 3rd body, and 2 Dwarfen Centurions. I assume the Dead body and the surviving member managed to take out 1 of the 2, and depart with the Lexicon. I barely manage to kill the remaining Centurion, and place the Lexicon back on it's spot.

Just an interesting, self contained storyline, presented in a different way than normal.

And loads of Greater Soul Gems filled with Great Souls :D

Oh, made it to the very tip top of the Throat of the World. There be Mining to do up there!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This may have been discussed, but is there something that triggers the finishing moves or are they bound to a stat or skill or something? I assumed they were random, but now I'm not sure. When I first started the game I was getting finishing moves very often, but then they started becoming a little more rare... and now I'm level 17 and I can't remember the last time I pulled one off. It's like I did something to phase them out and didn't even know it.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Finally got a copy.

Now, what should I name my character? I'm terribly unimaginative when it comes to such things.

He's an Imperial.

HTuran

Lonestar said:
Had a mission to return a Lexicon thingy to a place. Incredible mission.

Lexicon was a cube shaped Dwarf Item.
Wait, the Dwarven Puzzle Cube? That's a Thieves' Guild item IIRC.

bengraven

GhaleonEB said:
On second thought stopping by the inn for a drink or two (or three) before continuing my quest wasn't such a hot idea. My head....where the hell am I? Something about goats and marriage?!

I found a dead thief laying on the ground in Riften at night. Guessing he got caught...but not before he scored some loot, which I liberated from him.

Wait, what? You can get drunk and wake up somewhere else outside of that one quest?

If so, I'm drinking EVERY NIGHT.

Sorry Ysolda!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
HTuran said:
Wait, the Dwarven Puzzle Cube? That's a Thieves' Guild item IIRC.

Haven't started the Thieves Guild mission...

Well, I killed everything in there and opened the Elevator shaft, so the trip back wouldn't be that bad [/famous last words]

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
Wait, what? You can get drunk and wake up somewhere else outside of that one quest?

If so, I'm drinking EVERY NIGHT.

Sorry Ysolda!
I'm probably at the start of 'that one quest', I just hadn't done it yet.

I abandoned it to keep going on the Thieves Guild, but I'll be coming back to it...

Echoplx

GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE

ibeUsjQhAE9Irs.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ParityBit said:
With people powering though blacksmithing, doesn't that just raise your level really fast? How many levels will that bump you?
At least 5 or 6, I would think.

I remember leveling up multiple times while grinding bracers.

Izuna

Banned
Hey wait a second. Do Bandits (etc.) level up with you or something? I haven't found anything better than my set of armour/weapons for a long time now, and I'm getting stronger as everything out in the wilderness stays the same. I've neglected nearly 7 Level-Ups now, so that may be why.

Is this another Final Fantasy VIII, or should I just keep going until I find better loot?

angelfly

CHEEZMO™ said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Finally got a copy.

Now, what should I name my character? I'm terribly unimaginative when it comes to such things.

He's an Imperial.
I went through a list Celtic female names to decide on one since they seemed most fitting for my character.

Blizzard

Banned
As I mentioned earlier, I named my character after someone from Game of Thrones (Brienne), and so did at least one other person in this thread.

Two time-related questions:
  • Is there a way to track your gameplay time outside of Steam, since the Steam "played" hours are inaccurate as far as I know (judging from TF2 etc.)?
  • Is there a way to see what the ingame time is, so you can tell when 48 hours have passed etc.? I know the time appears if you choose to wait/sleep, but can you just view the current time without waiting?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Press tab to see the current in-game time and date.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ParityBit said:
With people powering though blacksmithing, doesn't that just raise your level really fast? How many levels will that bump you?
I'm 4 levels higher than before I started grinding it. It's not such a huge deal.

Echoplx

Blizzard said:
  • Is there a way to track your gameplay time outside of Steam, since the Steam "played" hours are inaccurate as far as I know (judging from TF2 etc.)?

The ridiculous TF2 times you see are because people idle in servers for achievements/drops.

They are usually fairly reliable.

FStop7

Banned
Got into an archery duel with a bandit who was perched on top of a narrow bridge high above a fast moving river. Nailed him through the neck and watched the body tumble off the bridge and fall into the river below, so dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom