• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Deified Data said:
Nope, only advantages in the status department. If you're going to use it around people, make sure they're people you're prepared to kill, i.e. bandits.

That being said, you gain the "Beast Blood" ability which prevents you from getting "Rested" bonuses from sleeping in beds. It's a small thing for such a powerful form, however. Unlike vampires, the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this area.

Yeah, that is a fun ability.

For those of you who have it, make sure you stop by Falkreath. You'll thank me later.

NBtoaster

Deified Data said:
Nope, only advantages in the status department. If you're going to use it around people, make sure they're people you're prepared to kill, i.e. bandits.

That being said, you gain the "Beast Blood" ability which prevents you from getting "Rested" bonuses from sleeping in beds. It's a small thing for such a powerful form, however. Unlike vampires, the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this area.

Also wolves wont attack you in beast form which is cool.

Woorloog

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I've found that increasing the base Alchemist perk has way more of an impact on potion magnitude.
But the skill itself DOES have some effect? I really hope it's not just about the base perk as that would mean i gotta invest more perks in Alchemy than i intented originally (not a big issue though, got more than enough perks for everything i need).

Lakitu

st5fu
My highlights from today's playthrough:

-Destroyed a bunch of good for nothing mages at Fort Amol. In the end I had a tough boss battle but got
Halldir's Staff which calms less powerful opponents for 60 seconds, then traps their souls if they die.
-Successfully managed to kill a giant at Secunda's Kiss for a Falkreath bounty. It was tough, just spammed fast healing, used my enchanted greatsword and fire breath which dazed him. His friends gave chase but I used whirlwind sprint to gtfo.
-Infiltrated Cracked Tusk Keep. It was pretty amazing.
Got into the vault, got a shit ton of loot from that place as well and found Mehrune's Razor shards.
-Went into Geirmund's Hall near Ivarstead, found the beginning of the Forbidden Legend quest and got a nice enchanted bow after a boss battle.
-Two times I had a
thief come up to me and threatened me for my money. I killed them both. Then had yet another Dark Brotherhood assassin try to kill me but fail and found another drug dealer in the mountains. I also found a scavenger today who was looting dead Imperial and Stormcloak bodies -- he got angry when I got close to him and started to fight. He was tough.
-Completed the Ancestral Worship quest at
Hillgrund's Tomb. That necromancer was a jerk.
-Visited the geysers for the first time. Beautiful, one of my favourite areas. A few hunters were in the hot water naked. I stole their clothes and they started chasing after me. Hilarity ensued.
-Had a pretty epic fight with a Blood Dragon in the geysers at night. It was one of the tougher dragon battles I had.
-Found an
abandoned prison on the other side of a waterfall. I'm saving that for a trip tomorrow.
-Eldergleam Sanctuary -- fucking beautiful.
-Did more mining, enchanting and alchemy. Feels good.

52 hours in and Level 24.

Deified Data said:
This is hilarious imagery. A well-placed Shout to the face is like a big bitch-slap.
Seriously. I think it's kinda lame Bethesda forces you to join the college, so I just went with a "I don't know shit about magic"-attitude. I just told her "Look bitch, I'm the goddamn Dragonborn". She didn't believe me at first, so I made myself clear with some Unrelenting Force.

She was more than happy to let me in after that... But still named me "Apprentice". Sigh.

Zeliard

Deified Data said:
This is hilarious imagery. A well-placed Shout to the face is like a big bitch-slap.

I attacked the Greybeards for shits and giggles. My companion and I both got our faces shouted off.

Damn, can't believe I survived that on the first try, fought my first non storyline Dragon, wasn't doing well and then a Bear and Sabre cat came to help....the Dragon kill me. They eventually turned and helped, took down the beast and everyone else, they really know how to make those dragon encounters something special with the pounding soundtrack and chants when you kill him.

Also Sudo
Woodos
! Had no idea those kinds of creatures are in Skyrim, this game man...

Deified Data said:

Ahh, ok thanks for the help.

Forwarding a question from my GF, as I do not know the answer: Do any of the horses in the game vary in speed, or do they just have cosmetic differences? If so, where can I find the fastest mount?

I'm kind of stuck and confused about what the map cursor is telling me. Might just be a simple mistake on my part...

I'm in Ansilvund Burial Chambers... I was asked to find Queen Fredis's sword. However, after getting the key and fighting the mob in the chamber, I have nowhere else to go. Do I need to backtrack to some door I'm not seeing, or do I have to have a high enough lockpick skill to continue?

If anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Seriously. I think it's kinda lame Bethesda forces you to join the college, so I just went with a "I don't know shit about magic"-attitude. I just told her "Look bitch, I'm the goddamn Dragonborn". She didn't believe me at first, so I made myself clear with some Unrelenting Force.

She was more than happy to let me in after that... But still named me "Apprentice". Sigh.
What do you mean "forces"?

Deified Data said:
Forwarding a question from my GF, as I do not know the answer: Do any of the horses in the game vary in speed, or do they just have cosmetic differences? If so, where can I find the fastest mount?
Damn good question. Anyone know?

cjsnapp said:
i'm pretty new to Elder Scrolls games and was wondering.. is it a good idea to do 3 seperate runs. melee focused and do fighters guilde, magic focused and do mage's guild, and stealth/assassin focused and do theive's guild and dark brotherhood?

Pretty sure you can join all the guilds with just one character.

Blue Ninja said:

Seems kinda silly, I agree. I'm glad my character's already a mage.

EGG

Neo Member
This game is amazing, and continues to amaze me. The dungeons are so much better so far than what I experienced in Oblivion. Considering failing my assignment due tomorrow and barely passing a midterm to continue playing. ;__;

r1chard

krameriffic said:
So it's official, smithing, enchanting and alchemy are retarded:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.ph...ng-smithing-alchemy-enchanting-only-31-perks/
No, they're not.

Most systems can be gamed. Sure if you want to spend your "role-playing" time in-game creating of a stack of daggers and armour so you can become the best smith ever then that's OK with me. Personally, I'd rather spend my time out adventuring.

The fact that he actually says "DPS" in the post indicates to me he's more interested in min/maxing the character and gear than playing the game.

I would hate for the game to modified in any way because of people doing crap like that. Seriously, if one ounce of nerfing happens because of min/maxers, I will be pissed.

Log4Girlz

I'm scared of giants. I've killed one buy he was apart of a quest so I'm not sure if he's gimped. It was that quest where you get drunk with Sam. I basically trained him with a novice frost spell while I had Lyida stay f'ing put (in my first attempt she was knocked into space) and she was pegging him with arrows from a distance. I will marry that girl someday.

So are giants tougher than that to kill *sobs*

Log4Girlz said:
I'm scared of giants. I've killed one buy he was apart of a quest so I'm not sure if he's gimped. It was that quest where you get drunk with Sam. I basically trained him with a novice frost spell while I had Lyida stay f'ing put (in my first attempt she was knocked into space) and she was pegging him with arrows from a distance. I will marry that girl someday.
So are giants tougher than that to kill *sobs*
I will kill her someday. I do not want to share my house with that woman. She doesn't bathe and she eats with her mouth open. Disgusting.

dreamer3kx said:
Are you guys going through all the guilds or just your build like guild?
Aiming for one guild per character to maximize replay value. I might double up eventually, though. I just remember feeling silly being the leader of every guild in Cyrodiil in Oblivion - that's alot of responsibility for someone who spends all day wandering and punching mudcrabs.

Zeliard said:
Are you actually forced at some point to join the Mage College?
Some main quest spoilers in here:
The main quest has you go to the College to find an Elder Scroll... But as far as I can tell you can only enter the College if you're approved as a member.

Alchemy

I don't think I can manage ever doing multiple 'play throughs' of this game. I'm going to stick to my main guy and just try to do everything I can. EVERYTHING. I'm also growing a beard while doing so, so I look forward to seeing how homeless I look before finishing the game.

kodt

Banned
How do you yield to an NPC?

I have tried sheathing my weapon and talking to them, holding block and talking to them. Neither works. (no option to talk)

I accidentally hit Thorald Grey-Mane while trying to save him now he is hostile and wont stop attacking... this is really annoying.

calder

Deified Data said:
I will kill her someday. I do not want to share my house with that woman. She doesn't bathe and she eats with her mouth open. Disgusting.
I managed to get her killed about 5 minutes after leaving Whiterun. Ran into a rebel camp surprisingly close to town, angered up a lot of dudes before I noticed how many there were, bolted as Lydia got beat down like a rabid dog protecting me. Thanks L! I'll sacrifice a goat in your honour or something!

ajf009

Deified Data said:

I've already killed her haha, I've accidentally killed her and another mercenary I hired named Jennesa damn that chick was strong, too bad she got in the way of one of my fire shouts.. I dumped her body in a nearby river and watched her float downstream.

It's what she would have wanted *tear*

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How can game companies still put out a game like this that will likely be played more than once with a different character and then have a save system that has a profile for each character?

This is simple stuff.

newsguy

I'll take a dragon over a snow sabretooth cat anyday. Those things are fast as shit. Also, funniest thing ive experienced was being chased by one, hauling ass and watching it start chasing a goat. 30 seonds later, im running backwards up the mountain and the same goat is still running, only now being chased by a wolfpack, who in turn chase me. As the goat passes me he literally makes eye contact with me and he has this face like "payback's a bitch."

ajf009 said:
I've already killed her haha, I've accidentally killed her and another mercenary I hired named Jennesa damn that chick was strong, too bad she got in the way of one of my fire shouts.. I dumped her body in a nearby river and watched her float downstream.

It's what she would have wanted *tear*
I keep sending her up against impossible odds (namely the giant camp outside Whiterun). The giants beat her down repeatedly, but she just kneels and recovers her health. Usually the giants hit her so hard that she flies into the sky and never comes back down - she always survives it, though. It'll be a few days later and I'll get the message that she got tired of waiting and went back home. Dammit.

Izayoi

Banned
When the fugitive came after me, I thought he was one of the many mercenaries/assassins apparently after my life and killed him before he even initiated conversation - I looted his corpse, took his nice bow, stole his gold, pulled my arrows out, and left him to rot.

Aselith

r1chard said:
No, they're not.

Most systems can be gamed. Sure if you want to spend your "role-playing" time in-game creating of a stack of daggers and armour so you can become the best smith ever then that's OK with me. Personally, I'd rather spend my time out adventuring.

The fact that he actually says "DPS" in the post indicates to me he's more interested in min/maxing the character and gear than playing the game.

I would hate for the game to modified in any way because of people doing crap like that. Seriously, if one ounce of nerfing happens because of min/maxers, I will be pissed.
Why would they ever nerf anything in a single player game? Just bug hunt and leave it be. Crafting being powerful is a good thing. Put in the time and you can reap big rewards.

ajf009

Deified Data said:
I keep sending her up against impossible odds (namely the giant camp outside Whiterun). The giants beat her down repeatedly, but she just kneels and recovers her health. Usually the giants hit her so hard that she flies into the sky and never comes back down - she always survives it, though. It'll be a few days later and I'll get the message that she got tired of waiting and went back home. Dammit.

is it even possible for Lydia and mercenaries you hire to die without you killing them yourself?

in before Georgio Tsoukalos

Deified Data said:
Aiming for one guild per character to maximize replay value. I might double up eventually, though. I just remember feeling silly being the leader of every guild in Cyrodiil in Oblivion - that's alot of responsibility for someone who spends all day wandering and punching mudcrabs.
Same here. I've got specific playthroughs planned for the College of Winterhold, the Thieves Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, the Companions and another replay of the Main Quest, this time while doing the Stormcloak questline.

Then another Main Quest replay with the Legion to wash the dirty taste of that rebellion out of my mouth.

Log4Girlz

Deified Data said:

In one quest I encountered a fire mage that two shot her, one to get her to her knee and the other to finish her off. He could 3 shot me. Man...I really wanted to finish the quest line....so on my 8th attempt I rushed the guy, used battle cry and started wailing on him FAST. Felt so good to have him die. Lydia was just fine :D

Woorloog

Banned
Aselith said:
Why would they ever nerf anything in a single player game? Just bug hunt and leave it be. Crafting being powerful is a good thing. Put in the time and you can reap big rewards.
What they could do would be to make it less grindy. Make the amount of of materials required affect to how much exp you gain, at least for Smithing. Making iron daggers all day is stupid.

Woorloog said:
Desing, not a bug. Probably. You can't use first person while riding either.

1)Companions equip only better stuff than they're currently wearing. Steel stuff isn't good enough alone for Lydia apparently. Improve them and try again.
2)To use a poison, ie Negative potion, "drink" it while you have a weapon equipped. The weapon is now poisoned. Hit something. If you poison a bow, you better hit or the poison is lost.

Thanks.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'll probably only stick to two characters, one doing everything except for Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Mainly warrior with magic use as well.

Then my second character will avoid the main quest completely and mainly be doing Thieves Guild / Dark Brotherhood stuff. He'll be a thief / assassin.

MisterAnderson said:
How do I recharge enchantment charges using soul gems?

Go to your inventory, select the item and press RB (on 360 anyway, not sure what the button prompts are on PC / PS3). Then select a soul gem. Depending on the soul gem, petty will recharge less while grand will recharge more.

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
How do I recharge enchantment charges using soul gems?

Go into your equipment menu (not favorites), find the item, then hit whatever button there is on the bottom of the screen labeled "Charge" (I think it's RB on 360 pad and I don't recall which it is on KB). Then it'll pull up a list of soul gems with souls in them, and the meter will show you a dark grey portion indicating how much that gem/soul combination will recharge the item. The soul gem is consumed in this process.

So I went through
Labyrinthia
to find the staff of Magnus. At the end found a boss that one shots me (almost). I seem to not stand a chance. I'm level 15. Anyone have any idea roughly when I should go back to try again? I really want to continue the mage storyline and I will live in fear that leaving that boss there may have glitched the quest line as long as the asshole still breathes.

Lakitu said:
I'll probably only stick to two characters, one doing everything except for Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood. Mainly warrior with magic use as well.

Then my second character will avoid the main quest completely and mainly be doing Thieves Guild / Dark Brotherhood stuff. He'll be a thief / assassin.
I might combine the Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood, too. Make a thief and when he gets tired of just stealing shit he'll start taking lives instead.

That's why I love these games. You can create any kind of story for your character. My last Oblivion character was an ex-Imperial soldier who became the Champion of Cyrodiil, then bought a house in Bravil to get away from all the noise of the bigger cities, only to get addicted to skooma and get arrested for brawling several times. Then a portal appears near Bravil and the city watch kicks him out, hoping he'll sober up long enough to explore it and close it. Instead, he ventures inside, finds the Shivering Isles and eventually becomes the Madgod.

Seeing him again in Skyrim brought cheer to my very soul.

Mairu

It seems really lame that the
elemental fury (attack speed) shout
doesn't stack with weapon enchants. I just enchanted my weapon to trap souls but didn't realize I'd be unable to use that with it on :(

angelfly

xtrasauce said:
So I went through
Labyrinthia
to find the staff of Magnus. At the end found a boss that one shots me (almost). I seem to not stand a chance. I'm level 15. Anyone have any idea roughly when I should go back to try again? I really want to continue the mage storyline and I will live in fear that leaving that boss there may have glitched the quest line as long as the asshole still breathes.
You can actually leave the area, wait to refill your health+save, then come back and deal some damage then rinse and repeat. That's how I did it. Shouts also help a lot.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
That's why I love these games. You can create any kind of story for your character. My last Oblivion character was an ex-Imperial soldier who became the Champion of Cyrodiil, then bought a house in Bravil to get away from all the noise of the bigger cities, only to get addicted to skooma and get arrested for brawling several times. Then a portal appears near Bravil and the city watch kicks him out, hoping he'll sober up long enough to explore it and close it. Instead, he ventures inside, finds the Shivering Isles and eventually becomes the Madgod.

Seeing him again in Skyrim brought cheer to my very soul.

:lol

Where did you find Sheogorath?

ajf009 said:
is it even possible for Lydia and mercenaries you hire to die without you killing them yourself?

in before Georgio Tsoukalos
Okay, just did some research.

Apparently, she drops into her invincible kneeling state when she's about to die, but not quite dead. She then regenerates HP until she can get back up again. However, she can still be killed if there is a persistent timed effect on her, like Falmer poison. They can die, but you just have to put them up against enemies with poison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom