• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

moop1167

Okay this Maurice Jondrelle guy is following me somewhere, but he won't get out of stealth mode and he is doing random somersaults all over and holding me up big time. WTF.

Tenck

How do I meed that guy that had me steal the ring in Riften? He said.to meet him in Ragged something, but I only see.this.door that leads to.someplace with rat in the name.

Blablurn

Im not sure what to do. Double handed swordsman or one hand magic, one hand sword. Plus my defense sucks. As soon as i encounter a little more difficult enemy he crushes me if there is no one who is distracting him :( same goes for the dragons. One just absolutely kilefl me.

balddemon

Banned
so why can't i improve my armor a 2nd time? i've got 100 smithing, and i want to improve my dragonscale armor again. already at legendary. it just says "you lack the required skill"

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Deified Data said:
Apparently, she drops into her invincible kneeling state when...
It's not an invincible state, enemies just ignore them. However, if any crossfire or miss-swings hit them, they will die. Also, if you accidentally deliver the blow that would make them kneel, they will just die forthright.

Zeliard

Random companion tip: you can order them to move somewhere or attack something simply by holding the use button over them, just as you do when you're manipulating an object (which you basically are there as well, lul).

It's not something I ever really use but it's quicker. Remember to have them follow you afterwards or they'll just stand there in "wait" mode.

dreamer3kx said:
Are you guys going through all the guilds or just your build like guild?

My character is a murderous, thieving mage who was
cursed by Hircine
at the start of the game. All four of the conventional guilds fit me quite snugly. :p

(spoiler is related to an early Companions quest outcome)

xtrasauce said:
So I went through
Labyrinthia
to find the staff of Magnus. At the end found a boss that one shots me (almost). I seem to not stand a chance. I'm level 15. Anyone have any idea roughly when I should go back to try again? I really want to continue the mage storyline and I will live in fear that leaving that boss there may have glitched the quest line as long as the asshole still breathes.

I'm level 17 and about to tackle that on Master. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

pringles

Tenck said:
How do I meed that guy that had me steal the ring in Riften? He said.to meet him in Ragged something, but I only see.this.door that leads to.someplace with rat in the name.
That would be the Ratway. Enter that and go through it and you'll find him.

Alchemy

Dice said:
It's not an invincible state, enemies just ignore them. However, if any crossfire or miss-swings hit them, they will die. Also, if you accidentally deliver the blow that would make them kneel, they will just die forthright.

This is what I thought.
I accidentally killed the bar brawl woman from Whiterun while fighting a dragon because he toasted her putting her downed, and I misfired a conjured arrow straight into her butt killing her.

I was a little upset, but then
I got ambushed by a crazy undead lich creature that gave me a sweet mask after I killed him.

Zeliard said:
lol, remember you can sprint with the horse, too.

I am really disappoint with the horses in the game in terms of getting around with them. They sprint for like 5 seconds. Then you have to count to like 15 for stamina recovery then sprint for another 5 seconds.

I was hoping there would be a variety of horses like in oblivion (black horses being faster than others, especially shadowmere) but we're stuck with 1 type of shitty slow, low stamina horse.

Can't wait for the mods.

Tenck

pringles said:
That would be the Ratway. Enter that and go through it and you'll find him.

Thanks so much man. Was worried people wouldn't answer me! Too bad I'm losing health real quick there. Will find something to do.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Hah, well that sprint is just damn nifty (level 8 here).

Did Bethesday get rid of or tweak the difficulty scaling? Unlike Oblivion where every enemy I met seemed tailored specifically to my ability to beat it, in Skyrim I've run into caves where I had to turn around and get the hell out because something powerful inside almost obliterated me.

Feels good, man.

KingK

balddemon said:
so why can't i improve my armor a 2nd time? i've got 100 smithing, and i want to improve my dragonscale armor again. already at legendary. it just says "you lack the required skill"

uhh, legendary is the highest level of improvement.

Dice

ajf009 said:
so just curious, if I go on a nighttime murder spree as a werewolf in Whiterun, will the guards know it was me?
Nope, just make sure you've done any quests related to the people you kill. But if you just want to kill guards (I understand) it's all good!

angelfly

Am I the only one
stopping the thieves guild quests after getting the skeleton key in order to get some serious coin
(thieves guild quest related)

Tenck

ajf009 said:
so just curious, if I go on a nighttime murder spree as a werewolf in Whiterun, will the guards know it was me?

Yes. I accidently killed some soldiers in Windheld and I have a huge bounty on my head.

Tenck

Dice said:
Nope, just make sure you've done any quests related to the people you kill. But if you just want to kill guards (I understand) it's all good!

Um what the fuck is this? I have a 3k bounty on my head.

Dice

Tenck said:
Yes. I accidently killed some soldiers in Windheld and I have a huge bounty on my head.
What? I heard the opposite from many sources... hmmmm...

Lakitu said:
:lol

Where did you find Sheogorath?
Solitude.
I heard a rumor about a strange guy skulking around near the Bard's College and went to investigate. The guy starts rambling about his master being on vacation, and that he needs him to come back. I volunteer to help the poor sod, and before I know it I'm knee-deep in the insane mind of a dead Emperor with Wes Johnson's glorious voice booming in my ears.

Speaking of which, I kinda miss some of Oblivion's voice actors. I wish they could've at least had Wes Johnson do some more voices for the Imperials. Oh, and of course, Jeff Baker's glorious return as the voice of a few Dunmer.

I serioulsy don't know what happened with the voices we heard in the gameplay video. They're gone. Completely gone.

~Kinggi~

Banned
My collectors strategy guide came in the mail today. Good lord its gigantic. The page and color quality is also really good for something with 660 pages. Hardcover art is nice as well. 23 on amazon isnt a bad price. Just skimming through some of the areas reveal a ton of stuff i havent seen yet.

Alchemy

Tenck said:

Was this because someone saw you turn into a
werewolf
though? I know the act of transforming instantly puts a 1000g bounty on your head.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
My god it's been an annoying day at work today. Broken builds, delayed submissions, stupid, stupid crap to deal with. Thankfully, in about 1.5 hours, I'll be back in Skyrim...

This thread is tiding me over until then. It's hilarious reading some of the pre-hype and then actual playtime impressions from you guys from a few hundred pages back! Good stuff!

Tenck

Alchemy said:
Was this because someone saw you turn into a
werewolf
though? I know the act of transforming instantly puts a 1000g bounty on your head.

I had finished killing the skinner dude (werewolf killer) as a werewolf myself. Ran outside since I finished the quest. While running 3 guys attacked me and I killed them. Still got the bounty on my head even though they never saw my human form. Could it have been a glitch?

KingK

I'm loving my current character and everything (level 26 now, about 35+ hours into the game), but I also can't wait to start a theif/assassin/archery build character. My current character hasn't been focusing on sneaking or archery at all, and it sounds really fun.

I don't want to start a new character before I beat the game, and I also don't want to rush through the rest of the game just to play a different character, but I also really want to try out stealth, lol. Probably gonna be a female Nord assassin named Arya Stark.

Zeliard

Sinatar said:
What? There's a sprint button? 34 hours in with a lvl 36 character and I did not know that.

Shit.

Haha yeah. It's quite useful. Makes horses sprint and you as well, though it saps your stamina. It can be very useful in combat if you're a mage and you want to get some distance, make enemies miss, etc, especially since you're not going to be using stamina much for attacking/defending.

narcosis219 said:
I am really disappoint with the horses in the game in terms of getting around with them. They sprint for like 5 seconds. Then you have to count to like 15 for stamina recovery then sprint for another 5 seconds.

I was hoping there would be a variety of horses like in oblivion (black horses being faster than others, especially shadowmere) but we're stuck with 1 type of shitty slow, low stamina horse.

Can't wait for the mods.

I dunno, horse stamina seems to last a decent amount of time. It's not exactly werewolf form (which is probably the fastest way to manually travel) but it does the job. :>

Are there really no other types of horses, though? Different speeds, etc. I was still hanging around with the one from Whiterun, and he basically tanks enemies, lol. Or at least he did till he got owned by a Draugr Death Overlord. :(

pringles

DOO13ER said:
Did Bethesday get rid of or tweak the difficulty scaling? Unlike Oblivion where every enemy I met seemed tailored specifically to my ability to beat it, in Skyrim I've run into caves where I had to turn around and get the hell out because something powerful inside almost obliterated me.

Feels good, man.
Yeah it's a lot better in this game. Still scales but it's more limited so things can be way above or way below your level depending on when you encounter them.

It's not perfect, I feel like there's a lack of characters/enemies in the game with really, really powerful armor/weapons that are near-impossible to kill early on.. like Umbra in Morrowind.

I met some Orc in the wild that wanted a good death. I thought "hey is this Skyrim's Umbra??", he was a bitch to kill and when I finally did he had... an iron sword. Whooo.

Sh1ner

Finally 1 shotting mid level enemies now with my sneak X 3 damage and a base stat damage of 50 with bow. I haven't yet enchanted it neither have I perfected it by smithing.

Anyhow best gameplay moment so far for me:
Fast travelled to a necromancer fort, the necro guarding the gate shouts "DON'T GET ANY CLOSER!" She then pulls out her blade even though I haven't moved on top of my horse, bitch clearly needed to die. She says something I can't make out and she says something but I can't make it out as there is an odd sound that is drowning her out. She is about to run at me, out of nowhere a freaking frost dragon lands next to her, wraps its massive jaws around her and tosses her body back into the fort :O The unfamiliar sound was Dragon wings beating in the air, lol. It doesn't even look at my dopey ass character as it flies directly back into the air.

A battle ensues with fireballs, lightning coming from the fort into the sky, mainly missing the Dragon. The Dragon is doing bombing run passes using the jet of ice from its mouth. Clearly knowing I am gonna get destroyed out in the open, I join in against the Dragon.
We take down the dragon together barely (I lose my horse to the Dragon, poor Mandarb!), just before I begin despatching the necromancers. I get attacked by a newcomer, who is with not with the Necromancers. He comes straight at me, babbling some random crap. I do my best to dodge whilst I put 3 arrows in his face, he hardly feels it according to his freaking health bar. He then proceeds to 1 shot me.

My last quicksave was over 10 minutes ago before fast travelling to the fort, fuck.

ajf009

Tenck said:
I had finished killing the skinner dude (werewolf killer) as a werewolf myself. Ran outside since I finished the quest. While running 3 guys attacked me and I killed them. Still got the bounty on my head even though they never saw my human form. Could it have been a glitch?

well now I'm not so sure about my midnight murder spree.. I don't want to have to pay a huge bounty

Zeliard

pringles said:
Yeah it's a lot better in this game. Still scales but it's more limited so things can be way above or way below your level depending on when you encounter them.

It's not perfect, I feel like there's a lack of characters/enemies in the game with really, really powerful armor/weapons that are near-impossible to kill early on.. like Umbra in Morrowind.

I met some Orc in the wild that wanted a good death. I thought "hey is this Skyrim's Umbra??", he was a bitch to kill and when I finally did he had... an iron sword. Whooo.

Go find a Draugr Death Overlord. He'll make you work for that kill.

Zeliard said:
I dunno, horse stamina seems to last a decent amount of time. It's not exactly werewolf form (which is probably the fastest way to manually travel) but it does the job. :>

Are there really no other types of horses, though? Different speeds, etc. I was still hanging around with the one from Whiterun, and he basically tanks enemies, lol. Or at least he did till he got owned by a Draugr Death Overlord. :(

Well, when you're going from winterhold to markarth, it gets hella annoying to manage sprint.

Or, we can just forget sprint all together for horses and leave it at a fixed speed.

redhot_

Is it possible to kill every single guard in a city and have them not respawn for awhile? The guards in Markarth are broken and the game wont let me select options to go to jail...

Valygar

Zeliard said:
Go find a Draugr Death Overlord. He'll make you work for that kill.

The first one I found could kill me with a shot in the head (or anywhere). If I got into a melee fight with him, he needed 2-3 hits!. I needed like 20-30 hits to kill him, and I reloaded a lot. I just went outside of his melee range, he switched to bow, and before he could shot, circled around him while hitting with the daggers until he switched to axe again, repeat, try not to be hit :S. Too difficult, because of the insta-death by arrow.

But well, he had a magic ebony bow and I was level 15, so I'm not complaining.

ajf009

So the only random Dragon encounter I've had so far is one that attacked Whiterun. It happened a few days ago in game and the bones are still laying next to my house. Every time I walk by it makes me want the skull to mount up in my home

Blue Ninja said:
I might combine the Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood, too. Make a thief and when he gets tired of just stealing shit he'll start taking lives instead.

That's why I love these games. You can create any kind of story for your character. My last Oblivion character was an ex-Imperial soldier who became the Champion of Cyrodiil, then bought a house in Bravil to get away from all the noise of the bigger cities, only to get addicted to skooma and get arrested for brawling several times. Then a portal appears near Bravil and the city watch kicks him out, hoping he'll sober up long enough to explore it and close it. Instead, he ventures inside, finds the Shivering Isles and eventually becomes the Madgod.

Seeing him again in Skyrim brought cheer to my very soul.
Yeah. Bethesda isn't really the cream of the crop when it comes to writing engaging campaigns. What they're the masters of, however, is giving the player the tools to craft their own stories. It really is the pinnacle of the role-playing genre, regardless of what number-crunching elitists may say.

Knight-Evoker Zetheles was an fresh-faced Imperial Battlemage stationed at the Arcane University during the Oblivion Crisis. He stood alongside the Champion of Cyrodiil during the siege of the Imperial City, though they did not necessarily recognize eachother. He played his own small role in protecting the city he loved, and was pained at the steady decay of the Empire in the years to follow. He remained with the Mage's Guild for as long as he was able.

It would not be long, however, until the Mage's Guild disintegrated. The Great War ravaged the Empire further, and Zetheles began to doubt his purpose. When the War ended, and the Thalmor came, he was scouted. Being a well-bred Altmer well-versed in magicka and martial skill, he was a prime candidate for recruitment. Bitter over the Empire's shaky peace with the Dominion, Zetheles spurned their advances, refusing to sell his soul to an organization he believed morally bankrupt. Branded a heretic and a race-traitor, the Thalmor saw him expelled from the city, never to return under threat of death.

And so he wandered. He began to seek knowledge and guidance elsewhere, for, while powerful, he was still relatively young (for an Altmer) and craved some form of structure. That desire led him to consort with Daedra cults. He spent many a dream-addled night in the grove of Vaermina; hunted an all-mighty Lich under the guidance of Meridia; drowned his sorrow in wine and nubile women in the court of Sanguine; had his left eye blinded and his face scarred by a furious Molag Bal; revelled in the ruthless, singular purpose of Boethiah's bloody feud. But he knew that this would never be enough, and so he departed Cyrodiil for parts unknown...until he was captured during a border crossing into Skyrim.

With the Thalmor and Daedra furious at his heels, Zetheles would go on to forge his own legend. Some know him as "The Cyclops of Winterhold" because of his haunting, milky eye; he is whispered of in hushed, nervous tones amongst the esoteric of Skyrim - that he is perhaps the true power behind the College, allowing others to govern it in his stead. Some of witnessed him breath fire like a dragon - others have seen him move at impossible speeds, as though time were slowed around him. Others speak of his beloved Janessa, Dunmer femme-fatale of Whiterun, mercenary, and keeper of this stoic mer's heart. Most, however, wouldn't recognize the weary, golden face at the corner of the bar as anyone other than a non-descript elven adventurer.

How much of Zetheles's legend is true, and how much is fancy? That remains one of Skyrim's greatest mysteries.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Riding a horse seems barely faster than just running. Then you have to deal with animals/monsters attacking you on the ride and having to get off.

Dice

Tenck said:
Maybe the 3 guys who attacked you were the evil-things hunters and your ID was pegged?

redhot_ said:
Is it possible to kill every single guard in a city and have them not respawn for awhile? The guards in Markarth are broken and the game wont let me select options to go to jail...
This happened to me. Fortunately it was in the Shrine of Talos, so I figured out that if I shot them with my bow before they could talk to me and kill them in the ensuing fight it would take the bounty off. If it glitched outside... man, I don't know what I'd do. The console commands to remove bounty weren't working since it was a storyline repeat glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom