• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Any way to get into the mage school faster without having 135 mana to cast fear? I'm a Spell Sword, and while I'm not quite sure which magic I want to specialize in, right now I use destruction, I'd rather not have to waste one point in Illusion if it isn't necessary.

Grisby

cjsnapp said:
i'm pretty new to Elder Scrolls games and was wondering.. is it a good idea to do 3 separate runs. mêlée focused and do fighters guild, magic focused and do mage's guild, and stealth/assassin focused and do thieves guild and dark brotherhood?
For Oblivion I actually did the mage quests and thieves quest as a warrior. Made it pretty easy actually as mages stood no chance against the might of the blade. I assume its prolly possible to do that in Skyrim.

But play it the way you want to is the point. If you want to role play as a thief turned evil then do the guild stuff accordingly.

Wallach

Trojita said:
Any way to get into the mage school faster without having 135 mana to cast fear? I'm a Spell Sword, and while I'm not quite sure which magic I want to specialize in, right now I use destruction, I'd rather not have to waste one point in Illusion if it isn't necessary.

Try to find some potions of Fortify Magicka to raise your max magicka long enough to pass the entrance.

scy

Trojita said:

It seems to be random what spell she asks for; your only real way to do get around it is to equip more +Magicka items or find an "of Illusion" Enchant to lower the spell cost.

Or you can grind Illusion's skill level a bit to get that to lower the spell cost, though the above two ways are probably a lot less trouble in the end.

Averon

So my PS3 copy just arrived, and now I'm hearing about this crippling save issue. Any chance of a patch soon? I'd rather not log in 20+ hours only to have to delete it because it became unplayable.

Wallach

Deified Data said:
Fear? I had to cast Firebolt. Is it different for everyone? What are the variables?

I figured it checked against your highest level magic skill, since she asked me to summon a Flame Atronach.

scy

Deified Data said:
Fear? I had to cast Firebolt. Is it different for everyone? What are the variables?

I want to say it's just random as my Mage had to cast Healing Hands and some reloading on my Archer saw it ask for a variety of skills (Fear, Healing Hands, Firebolt).

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Resto definitely wasn't my highest though.

Yeah I dunno, sounds random based on what you guys have said. No idea.

Hey, what level were you when you finished the College main quest line?

Deified Data said:

Shit I had to conjure one of those flame demon chicks. I think it's based on where your magicka is prior to the entrance test.

bengraven

Hell yeah, getting 50 in speech so you can buy the perk to sell anything to any vendor is like unlocking Easy Money mode.

From 3k to 20k in one hour. Time to find another house!

Blizzard

Banned
narcosis219 said:
This is the funniest shit I've read.

DICK MOVE BRO
Someone gave me an axe (apparently, I didn't even notice the message about getting the item, and I thought I tried to find it in my inventory and failed). Then the hunter ran up and I gave it back. Then the two might have fought and I was sad since I didn't want anyone to die, but I think maybe one of them escaped.

Good luck fixing that Markath problem, other guy. :( It would be sad if you can never use your house again.

mkenyon

Banned
I think this thread needs to become a subforum. Moves so quick.

Anyone have any idea how to look up faction ID's for console commands?

Zeliard

Wallach said:
Yeah I dunno, sounds random based on what you guys have said. No idea.

Hey, what level were you when you finished the College main quest line?

Still going through it. I stopped it temporarily to go meet the Greybeards. My next task in the Mage College quest line is to find
the staff of Magnus
. I'm level 17 right now and probably started that quest line around level 14 or so.

ajf009

So what's the deal with these 'Afflicted' people? I wandered into a broken down city in the mountains and they're just hanging out there, one of them
spit some green acid crap at me

Tenck

mkenyon said:
I think this thread needs to become a subforum. Moves so quick.

Anyone have any idea how to look up faction ID's for console commands?

Moves so fast most of the time a lot of questions don't get answered. I asked about 12 questions before someone even replied to me.

ajf009 said:
So what's the deal with these 'Afflicted' people? I wandered into a broken down city in the mountains and they're just hanging out there, one of them
I just found them today, too. Too busy to investigate, though. Grossed me out.

Wallach

Deified Data said:
Err...roughly 20-23?

Can you tell me the stats on the last items you received in that quest line? The important rewards, basically. Spoiler tag it. Just want to double check that the leveled items already mined are complete or if there's more and there's just some reason the other item IDs are being evasive.

bengraven said:
Hell yeah, getting 50 in speech so you can buy the perk to sell anything to any vendor is like unlocking Easy Money mode.

From 3k to 20k in one hour. Time to find another house!

How do you even level up speechcraft? I buy and sell a lot but its only gone up a few times

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ajf009 said:
Find the Shrine of Peryite for your answer. If you use a shield, I HIGHLY recommend that quest.

Visceir

was merrily walking along the road up a hill when I suddenly saw a bear chilling on my path. Instead of being a coward and going around I just shot an arrow at it but it barely did any damage. I started to panic. Just as it was about to reach me I used the ice shout and turned the bear into an ice sculpture...of course the physics went to hell and with his momentum he flew over my head and kept on tumbling down the hill, over a river and stuck into a canyonside.

Also, there is this night elf thief in the thieves guild who told me how he was in an assassin's guild in morrowind and how their assassin's guild and the dark brotherhood were enemies. He warned me not to tell anyone about it as he and I would probably be killed by the DB if they were to find out....I was the leader of DB at that moment.

ajf009

Dice said:
Find the Shrine of Peryite for your answer. If you use a shield, I HIGHLY recommend that quest.

I found the shrine and talked to the guy.. nothing came of it

Edit: I'm going back just to make sure I picked every option

Wallach said:
Can you tell me the stats on the last items you received in that quest line? The important rewards, basically. Spoiler tag it. Just want to double check that the leveled items already mined are complete or if there's more and there's just some reason the other item IDs are being evasive.
Posting from work - sorry. >_>;;

Can someone else field this one?

Tenck said:
Become a werewolf

Though I think that's awesome since you can put down anything really quickly.

haha, I'm aware of that but is there a disadvantage to other groups or anything or can it only be used in certain areas/times of day? I dont want to get fucking stuck with something like vampire status in oblivion.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
ajf009 said:
I found the shrine and talked to the guy.. nothing came of it
You obviously didn't go through every conversation option. Be a little open to evilness in this game.

Visceir said:
Also, there is this night elf thief in the thieves guild who told me how he was in an assassin's guild in morrowind and how their assassin's guild and the dark brotherhood were enemies. He warned me not to tell anyone about it as he and I would probably be killed by the DB if they were to find out....I was the leader of DB at that moment.
So did you kill him or what?

Tenck

Lionheart1827 said:
haha, I'm aware of that but is there a disadvantage to other groups or anything or can it only be used in certain areas/times of day? I dont want to get fucking stuck with something like vampire status in oblivion.

I can't help you much with that then :eek:

Over 25 hours played and still doing quests in Whiterun as a level 11 Wood elf archer.

Lionheart1827 said:
Nope, you can use it on a whim. That being said, if you do it around people they'll attack you instantly or run in fear. It garners a 1000g fine, too. You're a monster, after all.

scy

BigJonsson said:
How do you even level up speechcraft? I buy and sell a lot but its only gone up a few times

Short of the glitched guy in Riften ... not much. Buy/Sell a lot and watch it do nothing, Persuade/Intimidate/Bribe every chance you get, pay for training.

Deified Data said:
Nope, you can use it on a whim. That being said, if you do it around people they'll attack you instantly or run in fear. It garners a 1000g fine, too. You're a monster, after all.

Ahh ok, so I'm guessing try to use it in situations away from society then? And there aren't any status disadvantages either right?

GhaleonEB

Davedough said:
I was walking to Windhelm and going over the mountain pass. A fugitive gave me an Axe of Sapping which steals Magicka with every hit, asked me to hold it for him while he hides.... seconds later a hunter came over asking me if I knew where the guy was. I said no and he just starting hanging around. I went over to where the fugitive was, shouted him out of his corner, the hunter saw him, killed him and then went on his merry way. I got to keep the axe. =)
I murdered them both on sight, one at a time, and looted their corpses. Had some pretty good loot.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Training jumps to 3K after lv.77 :sniffles I'm at lv.80 Alchemy right now, maxed based Alchemy perk and can make some sweet potions.

Woorloog

Banned
How much alchemy skill you need to increase before your potion strength increases? Or is it a skill that is only used to unlock perks?
How many skills are such, if any, anyway?

Goddammit, final post on a page again. :lol

Dice said:
I finally found the
Flawless Sapphire
I still needed for this quest. Once I'm done selling my loot and finishing a few outstanding quests at Winter Hold, I'm taking the carriage to the city closest by and finally finishing it.

Hmm, the city closest by would be
Markarth
, right? I can't remember.

And my One-handed skill is at 98. Wulf needs to find a woman.

Deified Data said:
I used a Dragon Shout. I'm no mage, I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin.

Lionheart1827 said:
Ahh ok, so I'm guessing try to use it in situations away from society then? And there aren't any status disadvantages either right?
Nope, only advantages in the status department. If you're going to use it around people, make sure they're people you're prepared to kill, i.e. bandits.

That being said, you gain the "Beast Blood" ability which prevents you from getting "Rested" bonuses from sleeping in beds. It's a small thing for such a powerful form, however. Unlike vampires, the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this area.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Woorloog said:
How much alchemy skill you need to increase before your potion strength increases? Or is it a skill that is only used to unlock perks?
How many skills are such, if any, anyway?

I've found that increasing the base Alchemist perk has way more of an impact on potion magnitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom