• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Ghost Rider said:
I never changed the settings for the difficulty. It is really odd. I see the dragon markers on the compass, go to the spot, see the wall, but no dragons. It tells me I have a new word. One site only had some forsworn and a hagraven, another had Krosis but no dragon. Are the dragons only activated after a certain main line quest?

Yes, you have to do the first main quest or two.

This game is something else.

I've only found a couple of dragon words, and just happened to be wandering around in the northwest and came across this place called Dead Man's Respite. Before going in, I decided I should fast travel back to Whiterun and sell some stuff. Before that, I saw this table outside the dungeon with a few random items on it, and decided to send them flying by using the basic dragon shout (unrelenting force I think). That was fun. Off to Whiterun.

The instant I get there a courier delivers a message from "a friend" with the contents:

"You caused a bit of a stir in Dead Man's Respite when you demonstrated the power of your Thu'um. Not everyone is anxious for the return of the dragonborn."

It then advised me to visit a particular new place on my map for something that only the dragonborn can unlock.

GOTY

Zeliard

Dice said:
Well it all made sense early on, but then later I could carry more on my back in one trip than the stores in one town could buy. At that point it became incredibly stupid and tedious, especially in view of the cost of houses. At that point it had nothing to do with my efforts at all and everything to do with an arbitrary limit on the gameworld itself to generate money, a limit which was completely disproportionate to the quality and prices of goods which were available throughout the world. You want to talk about a broken economy? That is it.

Well, that would be why they have those merchant-related perks that you hate. :>

The only reason I find this incongruous doesn't have nearly as much to do with the gold totals as it does the items the merchants have on-hand.

It's the scaling, again.

If merchants when you're at a higher level have crazy high-level crafting items and such, I would agree that their gold totals should reflect that. But they're still these middling vendors who magically happen upon this expensive stuff once you reach the appropriate level.

Of course, I wouldn't fix that problem by giving them more appropriate gold totals relative to their stash, but rather removing the scaling altogether. I don't think there's a gold issue. Once you're later in the game you should have visited various towns and cities and know where the primo vendors are (like the fence previously mentioned who has a balance of 4k). Dangerous Dave related earlier how he had plenty of money relatively early in the game:

DangerousDave said:
I'm level 17 and I already have the full house in Whiterun and 18.000 gold, and a lot of equipment that I didn't sell yet. I've never stole anything, and is all the loot of selling the magic weapons and magic equipment.

What I could do with all this money?

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Well goddamn.

Was a little less than halfway up the steps to High Hrothgar when I met up with an ice troll and was promptly one-hitted. I'm level 9 with fairly decent gear but it wasn't even a fight.

Anyone else run into this asshole this early in the game?

NBtoaster

DOO13ER said:
Well goddamn.

Was a little less than halfway up the steps to High Hrothgar when I met up with an ice troll and was promptly one-hitted. I'm level 9 with fairly decent gear but it wasn't even a fight.

Yeah he's pretty damn hard. Was lucky to have a dog to distract him.

timnich

Just a quick question: if I choose not to learn a new perk right away at a level up, do I stop leveling up until I pick a perk?

Wallach

timnich said:
Just a quick question: if I choose not to learn a new perk right away at a level up, do I stop leveling up until I pick a perk?

Nope, you can just accumulate perks as you go, and spend them whenever you want. The only thing you will be forced to do is pick a magicka, health or stamina upgrade if you go into the skills menu. If you have multiple levels to take care of, you'll be forced to pick all of those at once, but you can store perks for as long as you want.

There's a small tactical advantage you can use by not leveling up intentionally; when you level up and upgrade stats, all three of your primary stats are refilled. So you can engage in combat, get low on magicka/health then intentionally level up and refill on command. Since you are forced to choose all earned stat upgrades at once you can only do this once per level.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just had the best skyrim jank I've encountered thus far.

So at the Riverun trader place, I was given the Golden Claw mission. I then proceeded to do the pot trick by putting stuff on people's heads and then robbing the place, right. This was like my first day in Skyrim and all. So I got caught stealing and shit went bad retty fast - I had to kill this dude's wife and put his ass down a couple times and run away.

So anyhow, I eventually retrieve the Golden Claw and it's been a couple days now, so I go to give it back to the guy. He's happy to see me! "Hey there, got good news for me?" I give him the claw. "Oh, thank you, thank you!....if only my wife was here to see this." First LOL.

Then he turns around. Looks down on the ground. There is wife, where I left her. Face down on her knees in a basket of trader shit. He screams "OH GREAT HEAVEN'S NO, HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN??"

And then he just turns back around like nothing happened. Mega mother fucking LOL right here.

After that, I put a pot on his head, grabbed the Golden Claw I was compensated for off his counter top and promptly left like a boss.

Coincidentally, I received a message from a courier right after this, I think from the Dark Brotherhood? It was just a black hand that was captioned "We know.", lol. It was probably because the dude JUST realized his wife was dead, lololo. I <3 this game.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Just had the best skyrim jank I've encountered thus far.

So at the Riverun trader place, I was given the Golden Claw mission. I then proceeded to do the pot trick by putting stuff on people's heads and then robbing the place, right. This was like my first day in Skyrim and all. So I got caught stealing and shit went bad retty fast - I had to kill this dude's wife and put his ass down a couple times and run away.

So anyhow, I eventually retrieve the Golden Claw and it's been a couple days now, so I go to give it back to the guy. He's happy to see me! "Hey there, got good news for me?" I give him the claw. "Oh, thank you, thank you!....if only my wife was here to see this." First LOL.

Then he turns around. Looks down on the ground. There is wife, where I left her. Face down on her knees in a basket of trader shit. He screams "OH GREAT HEAVEN'S NO, HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN??"

And then he just turns back around like nothing happened. Mega mother fucking LOL right here.

After that, I put a pot on his head, grabbed the Golden Claw I was compensated for off his counter top and promptly left like a boss.

Coincidentally, I received a message from a courier right after this, I think from the Dark Brotherhood? It was just a black hand that was captioned "We know.", lol. It was probably because the dude JUST realized his wife was dead, lololo. I <3 this game.

lol this is ridiculous, and funny.

edit: do you get anything for being a legit good guy? Or are you basically punished for not stealing everything by ending up with less stuff?

Zeliard

Wallach said:
There's a small tactical advantage you can use by not leveling up intentionally; when you level up and upgrade stats, all three of your primary stats are refilled. So you can engage in combat, get low on magicka/health then intentionally level up and refill on command. Since you are forced to choose all earned stat upgrades at once you can only do this once per level.

I do that frequently to refill my mana in tougher fights. :p

oneils

EviLore said:
The loot is actually pretty terrible in Skyrim, yes. It's a combination of several factors.

-WYSIWYG loot system is only selectively enforced. There are basically no enemies walking around in lootable high level gear sets. Best I've seen is steel plate. Kill an extreme badass enemy, expect to loot an empty or near-empty corpse and be directed to the level-scaled chest of loot next to his body. This is just not nearly as satisfying even if you get something good in there. An example in Morrowind would be entering a remote dungeon and finding a Vampire Lord in full glass armor and weapons, having an epic battle with him, then having an ear to ear grin as you loot all that stuff for your character.

-Instead of level scaled bandits in glass armor, we have level-replaced "BANDIT CHIEFTAIN OVERLORD GOD-KING" level 50 enemies still wearing leather.

-Simplified stat system doesn't allow for as much magical loot variety.

-Only six equipment slots for armor/accessories means that replacing gear is very infrequent, and some questline sets render all the primary slots irrelevant for tens of hours at a time (and they can be upgraded with smithing to last you basically the entire game if you want).

-Enchanting system granting you permanent crafting status of any generic loot you receive (quest-type items are exempt from this since they usually can't be disenchanted) means that certain types of enchantments on gear are purposely withheld for a very long time for balance purposes, so you just won't see that type of gear drop, even in weaker forms (because getting a sword of 1 health absorb lets you disenchant and make your own sword of 50 health absorb, hypothetically).

-Merchants are all level-scaled. Merchants eventually all sell the high tiers of gear, making what you find in the wild not seem special.

-No scarcity of crafting materials, again with the merchants level scaling and providing you with infinite materials for making glass/ebony/etc. Why can you even go out into the game world and gather 2-4 ores per mine when the merchants have infinite stacks? Wasted opportunity for resource scarcity, at least for the rare materials. Also an immersion-breaker and specialness eradicator to see podunk town smiths with a full stock of ebony and malachite ingots later in the game.

-Almost all the hand-placed loot of value in dungeons and houses is potions. Occasionally I'll find a glass or ebony weapon hand-placed in a harder dungeon, but I am generally just overwhelmed by the potions I'm receiving.

Good post.

Every time my room mate watches me loot dungeons she says "potato, tomato, book, potion." It is her little mantra now. Potato. Tomato. Book. Potion.

edit: holy crap, I haven't refreshed this thread in a while. I just quoted post no. 14698.

Ok, I bought this today first time I've properly attempted an elder scrolls game. After a few hours and learning my first dragonword, I'm level 5. I'm curious to you ever get like your own place to store food, gear etc? Or do I have to keep upgrading my stamina to hold more things?

I'm an archer/stealth/thief elf chick. Nothing beats crouching up behind a rock, firing that arrow to some unsuspecting dude and watching over 60% of their health just diminish.

DOO13ER said:
Well goddamn.

I took him out from a distance with a bow. Luckily he didn't run after me till he was almost dead

hamchan

Soru said:
Ok, I bought this today first time I've properly attempted an elder scrolls game. After a few hours and learning my first dragonword, I'm level 5. I'm curious to you ever get like your own place to store food, gear etc? Or do I have to keep upgrading my stamina to hold more things?

I'm an archer/stealth/thief elf chick. Nothing beats crouching up behind a rock, firing that arrow to some unsuspecting dude and watching over 60% of their health just diminish.

Yep, you can buy a house in Whiterun for 5000 gold and store crap there. Talk to Proventus Avenicci at the Dragonsreach.

SpeedingUptoStop

I also talked to that Aventius kid who was trying to summon the Dark Brotherhood. He wanted to kill the orphanage runner, which I had already done when I first saw her because, duh. He was so happy. "I knew the Dark Brotherhood was good, but not THIS GOOD! You killed her before I even asked you!" I make kids happy. <3

Also, I'm fairly certain I'm gonna go with the Imperials. I went to Windhelm and this dude Ulfric did not convince me of shit with his speech. All of the rebel towns I've been to are in despair - they're corrupt, even poorly built, the people are mostly miserable. And now you wanna tell me you wanna
go attack Whiterun
? Where my big homies the companions stomp around? Where my man the Jarl made me a Thane? Naw, naw. Fuck outta here. I'm not crazy about speeding through the main quest, but ya'll racist mofos are gonna get a taste of my greatsword when that push comes to shove. Get fucked, buddy.

balddemon

Banned
ummmmm so i killed a guy for the dark brotherhood in ivarstad, and no one saw me. bounty didn't go up, and i was able to fast travel away instantly. so why do the guards attack me on sight? my total bounty is only like 40 atm.

edit : oh apparently my bounty was 2040 gold. but i only killed 1 person. wtf? no idea whats going on. i also have like 3.1k out on me right now.

Mod manager was released today for skyrim.

Managing and installing mods is so easy, already got like 6 running.

Funny thing is the mod manager updated itself 3 times today.

Oh man, I loved hearing Stephen Russell voice some characters down in the Thieves' Guild, talking about thieving. One guy almost sounded like Garrett. It felt so right. Roll on Thief 4.

MrBig

Currently have a house in Markath, Whiterun, and Solitude. Mainly use the Whiterun Breezehome as a stopping point simply because it has the only convenient storage available right near the door, and it's right near the fast travel location.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Are the physics screwed in this game or did someone entered my house in Whiterun? I come back and half my stuff is on the ground or not even on the same floor. And i wasted so much time putting them all properly! Ugh.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
God, Lydia is so stupid and useless. I try to get some sneak attacks in with my bow, so what does she do? She jumps out and stands between me and my target with her weapon drawn.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Also, I'm fairly certain I'm gonna go with the Imperials. I went to Windhelm and this dude Ulfric did not convince me of shit with his speech. All of the rebel towns I've been to are in despair - they're corrupt, even poorly built, the people are mostly miserable. And now you wanna tell me you wanna
go attack Whiterun
? Where my big homies the companions stomp around? Where my man the Jarl made me a Thane? Naw, naw. Fuck outta here. I'm not crazy about speeding through the main quest, but ya'll racist mofos are gonna get a taste of my greatsword when that push comes to shove. Get fucked, buddy.
Sounds like you haven't had too many conversations with the Thalmor yet. They are truly fucking nazis. You'll be siding with the dragons when you realize that EVERYONE is an asshole.

Zeliard

SpeedingUptoStop said:
go attack Whiterun

Both sides are buckets of shit, generally.

The Imperials aren't really much better. Once you get further in the story some things come to the forefront.

SpeedingUptoStop

I love how Ivarstead is kind of a forgotten city, the story being all the people moved to Riften. The game acknowledges this "forgotten city" status it by not even having an option for the carriage travel there, so neat. Little things.

Also, Mercurio is fucking nuts. On my way to Ivarstead, we passed some thieve's hideout or something, I couldn't even get in there, so I tried to move on to get to Ivarstead, but the homie Mercurio would NOT let the shit go. Some archers were way up taking potshots at us and he stayed back and fucking roasted them! He gets trapped sometimes and has a harder time following me than Lydia, but he's so fucking awesome. It is great to has this long range dude following me around and alerting me to far away attacks and shit. We took down a dragon together outside the Riften stables - one of the random horses was trying to take down this frost dragon and would've bit it if I didn't get up close with the MF'in skyforged steel. So funny watching this horse try to fuck with this dragon, right up in it's god damn face.

MrBig

Zeliard said:
Both sides are buckets of shit, generally.

The Imperials aren't really much better. Once you get further in the story some things come to the forefront.
Going as far as a I can without picking a either of those sides. Hopefully I'm not forced to.

Zeliard

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I love how Ivarstead is kind of a forgotten city, the story being all the people moved to Riften. The game acknowledges this "forgotten city" status it by not even having an option for the carriage travel there, so neat. Little things.

Also, Mercurio is fucking nuts. On my way to Ivarstead, we passed some thieve's hideout or something, I couldn't even get in there, so I tried to move on to get to Ivarstead, but the homie Mercurio would NOT let the shit go. Some archers were way up taking potshots at us and he stayed back and fucking roasted them! He gets trapped sometimes and has a harder time following me than Lydia, but he's so fucking awesome. It is great to has this long range dude following me around and alerting me to far away attacks and shit. We took down a dragon together outside the Riften stables - one of the random horses was trying to take down this frost dragon and would've bit it if I didn't get up close with the MF'in skyforged steel. So funny watching this horse try to fuck with this dragon, right up in it's god damn face.

One of the reasons I traded Marcurio for Dark Elf Conjurer lady (I keep forgetting her name) is because the dude was just tearing shit up and robbing me of skill-ups.

Fucking guy's a frag hog.

SPEA

Just absolutely loving this game so far. My GOTY without a doubt.

Here is my dude. Level 21. Heavy Armor. One Handed Weapons. Destruction.

1zf0bw7.jpg

Wanace

I also joined the Imperials. Now I occasionally spy Stormcloaks on the road and slaughter them.

A funny thing happened after I won the final battle, control of the town went to the imperials, but apparently there was a city guard from the stormcloaks still straggling around a few days later, so the Imperial guards all ganged up on him and killed him.

Dice

Gravijah said:
yet they complain about the cold. shit makes no sense.
YkKWw.jpg

But I feel that I should say, even considering the massive problems with the loot/store system and some pretty annoying run-ins with bugs. This is easily GOTY. An amazing experience and I STILL have only barely scratched the surface. My misc missions have had enough variety in their own, but I trust the comments here that at very least, the companions and mage college lines are fantastic.

Clevinger said:
My friendly ghost just got decapitated by another enemy ghost. Skyrim!
lol I decapitated a ghost yesterday. I was like *see spock pic*

Khezu

Mercurio sounds pretty cool. Right now I am using the executioner from the beginning of the game, gave him some ebony armor, and enchanted his badass executioner axe with life steal and frost damage.

Huh.

I was kinda indifferent about this civil war in Skyrim until an IMDB search revealed that Ulfric Stormcloak is voiced by fucking Buliwyf. I can never not be on his side now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Bisnic said:
Hate when the game decide to shut down by itself... happened 3 times now(on PC).

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. It's a crash, but behaves as if you said quit go to desktop (ie no error popupr or anything).

It seems to happen with large areas textures, most often when a dragon loads or if I fast travel after killing a dragon. I just have gotten in the habit of saving. With my PC, SSD, and Win7 cache it reloads in about 10 seconds so it's not that bad.

xelios said:
Enchanting. Same here. 4 items enchanted with 25%+ mana cost reduction for the destruction school makes all spells free to cast.

Gotta turn the difficulty max at this point.

What type of armor did you enchant? The gloves and boots I've enchanted had fortify destruction greyed out.

Zeliard

Khezu said:
Mercurio sounds pretty cool. Right now I am using the executioner from the beginning of the game, gave him some ebony armor, and enchanted his badass executioner axe with life steal and frost damage.

Marcurio is a Destruction mage and he lives up to that. :p

He goes around with a fire spell in one hand and lightning in the other. And he just lays people out. If you go around with him you'll habitually see enemies just flying across the screen after being nailed by one of his spells.

Small tip: give him a Necro staff so he can resurrect dead enemies. :D Then you'll have a badass Destruction mage buddy who also brings his own pet.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys do I get anything for being a "good guy" and not stealing or killing innocent people? Or should I steal stuff all over the place?

GhaleonEB

I think I might be a bit screwed.

When I joined the Thieves Guild, I got a new suit of thiefy armor...which I took one look at and sold to Tonilia for some gold. Now I'm supposed to trade in a piece of armor to her for an upgrade, but obviously I don't have it, and told her so. She tells me to shove off, and when I talk to her again, that's all she'll talk about.

So my fence wants me to find the armor I sold her, and won't let me buy/sell. Am I screwed out of any other topic of discussion with her for the rest of the game?

And she's my fence! I can't sell my merch.

Dice

Ether_Snake said:
Guys do I get anything for being a "good guy" and not stealing or killing innocent people? Or should I steal stuff all over the place?
From what I can tell, it's like Fallout.
Do whatever the fuck you want. The self-righteousness isn't worth the pain of dealing with these little shits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom