• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
brentech said:
About this. I have like 5 different shouts, but only 2 actually usable (both learned at the training).
I've killed like 5-6 dragons I think, maybe more. Not really sure. Do I need to do something specific to make my other shouts usable, or will that simply happen on its own at some point.
You have to push a certain button in the shouts menu to activate them. For some reason this wasn't working on my game for a while, then suddenly it did. Maybe a certain part of the story unlocks it? Though, I haven't even delivered the first thing the greybeards asked of me.

Anyone have a link for the controls of the game? (on 360)

The combat is coming off as a bit anemic (I'm 2 hours in)

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something regarding different attacks to make with melee.

brentech

Thanks guys. Will have to look through that menu a bit more and see if I have it. Otherwise, I too might not have done anything for them yet either.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Anyone have a link for the controls of the game? (on 360)

The combat is coming off as a bit anemic (I'm 2 hours in)

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something regarding different attacks to make with melee.
Tap attack for basic attacks. move a direction to make different angled attacks or forward/backstep attacks.

Hold attack for strong attacks that eat up a lot of stamina, but do a lot more damage. Also can cause different attacks with movement.

It seems a lot of people don't like it much, but as one of the few people playing in 3rd person, I've enjoyed it pretty well. When in melee I almost exclusively use a greatsword.

edit: link - http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Controls

mxgt

Banned
Investing in shop keepers is so helpful, now I don't have to wait or travel to 20 different shops to sell all my findings

iddqd

mxgt said:
Investing in shop keepers is so helpful, now I don't have to wait or travel to 20 different shops to sell all my findings

how do you invest in them? buy bonds at the skyrim stock market?

brentech said:
Thanks guys. Will have to look through that menu a bit more and see if I have it. Otherwise, I too might not have done anything for them yet either.

Tap attack for basic attacks. move a direction to make different angled attacks or forward/backstep attacks.

Hold attack for strong attacks that eat up a lot of stamina, but do a lot more damage. Also can cause different attacks with movement.

It seems a lot of people don't like it much, but as one of the few people playing in 3rd person, I've enjoyed it pretty well. When in melee I almost exclusively use a greatsword.

edit: link - http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Controls

Cool. Thanks.

I'm going for a straight sword & shield melee guy for this playthrough and I was wondering if I was missing something.

Will experiment.

Zeliard

Dice said:
omg they seriously want you to throw away perks just to get rid of common annoyances with the very design of the game? (small-time merchants)

It functions fine. If merchants had tons of gold on them from the start it would break the economy.

The problem with vendors is that the shit they sell scales to your level. That is unacceptable.

Dice

Zeliard said:
It functions fine. If merchants had tons of gold on them from the start it would break the economy.
You mean function exactly the same with less of the annoying process of running around between multiple cities.

The problem with vendors is that the shit they sell scales to your level. That is unacceptable.
How? It's expensive and you can get to any location no matter what your level so they can't have "rich cities" like some other RPGs. I don't know what else they'd do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't say I mind the merchants scaling up what loot they'll sell you. It's a contrivance for sure, but it's convenient and it would be tricky to remember where everything was sold if things were scattered.

Just read this
Using the Shadow Warrior perk, it is possible to perform a sneak-attack during combat. By standing infront of an aggressive, alert enemy and going into sneak mode, the brief flash of invisibility is enough to perform a sneak attack. This works roughly half the time, and a failed attempt can be retried immediately.
Looks like I'll be maxing sneak asap.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shut the fuck up, lore-man. Just tell me which cave you want me to go to.

I'm getting bored with this game. I'm not finding any decent loot, I can't sell my findings for gold because merchants are useless and have very little gold, I can't buy anything useful because no one sells anything worthwhile, and changing between spells on the fly is a chore. What was wrong with the eight-direction shortcut in Oblivion?

I don't know, the story does nothing for me. I'm over moving through cave after cave with very little reward.

just got hit with the shit texture bug, not installed, 360 version

level 11, probably 15 hours into it, 1 hard crash, some framerate issues last night before i turned it off

Trojita said:
Riding a horse seems barely faster than just running. Then you have to deal with animals/monsters attacking you on the ride and having to get off.

And the fact that riding a horse looks HORRIFIC in this game. It looks like you're riding a four legged piece of crap. Shadow of The Colossus is a 6 year old PS2 game with a horse that looks 20x better. Wow.

Aselith

Rez said:
Shut the fuck up, lore-man. Just tell me which cave you want me to go to.

I'm getting bored with this game. I'm not finding any decent loot, I can't sell my findings for gold because merchants are useless and have very little gold, I can't buy anything useful because no one sells anything worthwhile, and changing between spells on the fly is a chore. What was wrong with the eight-direction shortcut in Oblivion?

I don't know, the story does nothing for me. I'm over moving through cave after cave with very little reward.
I don't know that this was the game you're looking for. Diablo 3 will be here soon enough to slake the loot lust.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aselith said:
I don't know that this was the game you're looking for. Diablo 3 will be here soon enough to slake the loot lust.
I suppose. I've never really been a huge loot guy, but I'd like some kind of tangible reward, you know?

Zeliard

Dice said:
You mean function exactly the same with less of the annoying process of running around between multiple cities.

Sadly no, they're not trying to make it convenient for you to amass massive amounts of money. That's one of the reasons it takes three in-game days for vendors to reset their gold amounts.

The point is they want you to work for it. That means creating and selling different things, going to various vendors around the game world, etc. If some general goods vendor is sitting in a town with 50,000 gold, why in the world would you ever bother visiting another?

Just go into the console and give yourself some gold if you're in such a hurry and don't care about balance. Vendor gold is limited for a reason.

Dice said:
How? It's expensive and you can get to any location no matter what your level so they can't have "rich cities" like some other RPGs. I don't know what else they'd do.

I'm specifically talking about crafting items scaling to your level. There's no reason for it. As others have already pointed out, there are already several pre-requisites to even being able to craft certain types of items. So the fact that they artificially withhold the crafting items from you on top of that is silly. One of the worst parts of the game.

They do it with spells too, for that matter.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there anything i can do to make my home in Whiterun a little...better? It's empty and there is spider webs everywhere! I tried "stealing" some jugs, plates and food from Dragonreach to make it look less like a ghost house, but still... the spider webs wont go away! :(

jaaz

ScreenShot18.jpg

Notice the position of the quest tracker icon. :) Needless to say, I completed that quest!

Dice

Zeliard said:
The point is they want you to work for it.
The trips to and from dungeons and all the danger and killing involved IS working for it. I don't even pick places clean, just selective grabs based on what I can carry out. Is it so much to ask that an entire city can contain what I can carry on my single back?

Just go into the console and give yourself some gold if you're in such a hurry and don't care about balance. Vendor gold is limited for a reason.
I did eventually start doing this to buy houses because the loot back-up in my chest at home became completely absurd and items became so good that shops can't even buy 3 of them even though they have like 10 items they are selling worth more than everything they have. I guess no one in the world is buying?

There is a huge difference between "working for it" and the completely unwarranted tedium of going to a separate town every 3-4 items you sell and waiting a couple days in between. It's not about "being in a hurry" it's about balance between what I have and what I can do with it. The "war effort" sure seems to have backed up a lot of blacksmiths, so why can't I unload my coffers of amazing shit on the Stormcloaks?

This would be way more annoying if I leveled up my speech so their money ran out even faster on selling just basic shit.

J-Rock

Banned
So who do most of you recommend as a good wife? Do they all end up doing the same stuff as wives? Lydia and Janessa are dead in my game so ignore those two.

Anteater

Man I'm starting to dislike my dual wield character, she's so weak against attacks :( and it's hard to play an agile character with the combat this game has, it's just not very responsive, heck I think there are input lag when you try to move in 3rd person mode which isn't there in first person view :lol

Dice

J-Rock said:
So who do most of you recommend as a good wife? Do they all end up doing the same stuff as wives? Lydia and Janessa are dead in my game so ignore those two.
They're all pretty similar. Go for the one you like most. If she starts to walk away after you say "I do" then quickly back out of the priest's speech before she gets to the door and talk to her, or she will be gone forever. If she doesn't have her own personal house, tell her to live in yours, or she will be gone forever. She might not appear until you sleep in your house till morning.

Weird marriage bugs...

Khezu

Dragons are kinda silly easy right now, 100% fortify destruction makes all my spells free, so I can freely spam dual cast thunderstrike, and with impact I stun lock dragons so they can't even move.

On expert, 5 or 6 zaps is enough to turn them into ash piles.

Zeliard

Dice said:
The trips to and from dungeons and all the danger and killing involved IS working for it. I don't even pick places clean, just selective grabs based on what I can carry out. Is it so much to ask that an entire city can contain what I can carry on my single back?

I did eventually start doing this to buy houses because the loot back-up in my chest at home became completely absurd and items became so good that shops can't even buy 3 of them even though they have like 10 items they are selling worth more than everything they have. I guess no one in the world is buying?

There is a huge difference between "working for it" and the completely unwarranted tedium of going to a separate town every 3-4 items you sell and waiting a couple days in between. It's not about "being in a hurry" it's about balance between what I have and what I can do with it. The "war effort" sure seems to have backed up a lot of blacksmiths, so why can't I unload my coffers of amazing shit on the Stormcloaks?

This would be way more annoying if I leveled up my speech so their money ran out even faster on selling just basic shit.

The vendor gold limit is there for the same reason the inventory limit is. If you could just hoard countless things and sell them with ease in a single town, you would make a large amount of money in a short time and money would become a non-issue.

They want you to work at gaining and holding on to money throughout the game - traveling to different towns and cities, visiting various vendors who buy things at different prices. The economy is all balanced around this.

Buying a house at 5000 in Whiterun tends to be a significant investment if you do it very early on. Part of the reason for that is the vendor limit, particularly in the earlier towns. You remove that and you sabotage the way the economy works, including making merchant-related perks found in Speech redundant.

I see no gain from it. The quicker and easier you make it for players to make money, the more you trivialize the importance of it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Khezu said:
Dragons are kinda silly easy right now, 100% fortify destruction makes all my spells free, so I can freely spam dual cast thunderstrike, and with impact I stun lock dragons so they can't even move.

How did you go about the 100% fortify destruction? Enchanting?

MrBig

Khezu said:

I did this kind of stuff in Oblivion and am trying my hardest to avoid it. Defeats every facet of enjoyment and challenge in the game.

Echoplx

Khezu said:

Where the hell did you get 100% fortify?

Dice

Zeliard said:
The vendor gold limit is there for the same reason the inventory limit is. If you could just hoard countless things and sell them with ease in a single town, you would make a large amount of money in a short time and money would become a non-issue.

They want you to work at gaining and holding on to money throughout the game - traveling to different towns and cities, visiting various vendors who buy things at different prices. The economy is all balanced around this.
Well it all made sense early on, but then later I could carry more on my back in one trip than the stores in one town could buy. At that point it became incredibly stupid and tedious, especially in view of the cost of houses. At that point it had nothing to do with my efforts at all and everything to do with an arbitrary limit on the gameworld itself to generate money, a limit which was completely disproportionate to the quality and prices of goods which were available throughout the world. You want to talk about a broken economy? That is it.

Buying a house at 5000 in Whiterun tends to be a significant investment if you do it very early on. Part of the reason for that is the vendor limit, particularly in the earlier towns. You remove that and you sabotage the way the economy works, including making merchant-related perks found in Speech redundant.

I see no gain from it. The quicker and easier you make it for players to make money, the more you trivialize the importance of it.
I'm not saying remove it, I'm saying FIX IT. Make it make sense as you progress through the game. If that means the house in solitude has to cost 200k then so be it. It doesn't make sense for me to have greater treasures in my chest at home than 5 worlds can contain.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
3chopl0x said:
Where the hell did you get 100% fortify?

Enchanting. Same here. 4 items enchanted with 25%+ mana cost reduction for the destruction school makes all spells free to cast.

Gotta turn the difficulty max at this point.

ajf009

MrBig said:
I did this kind of stuff in Oblivion and am trying my hardest to avoid it. Defeats every facet of enjoyment and challenge in the game.

Everyone's free to play the way they want to but I just wouldn't want to do that. It defeats the whole purpose of the entire game.. What's the point of continuing playing once you can kill anything at any time with a snap of your fingers

MrBig

Dice said:
Well it all made sense early on, but then later I could carry more on my back in one trip than the stores in one town could buy. At that point it became incredibly stupid and tedious, especially in view of the cost of houses. At that point it had nothing to do with my efforts at all and everything to do with an arbitrary limit on the gameworld itself to generate money, a limit which was completely disproportionate to the quality and prices of goods which were available throughout the world. You want to talk about a broken economy? That is it.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I just used the console to give me money for houses and haven't gone to a store since my first hour.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Dice said:

I'm not saying remove it, I'm saying FIX IT. Make it make sense as you progress through the game. If that means the house in solitude has to cost 200k then so be it. It doesn't make sense for me to have greater treasures in my chest at home than 5 worlds can contain.
i dont think this needs fixing. How its handled is a fair approximation of real life. Chances are pretty high that i couldnt sell everything out of someones house to one pawn shop but instead would either need to sell pieces to other shops that still had a purchasing budget or hold on to the items until my preferred store reacquires more money.

Khezu

ajf009 said:
Everyone's free to play the way they want to but I just wouldn't want to do that. It defeats the whole purpose of the entire game.. What's the point of continuing playing once you can kill anything at any time with a snap of your fingers

It really only makes dragons easy because of there highly avoidable telegraphed attacks, everything else is still a moderate challenge simply because a slight breeze can one shot me, even with ebony flesh.

Also it will probably even out the more I level up, and the less effective thunderstrike becomes.

Dice said:
Uhhh... there should be a dragon at every word site. Also, you shouldn't be able to activate them without getting dragon souls first. Are you playing on some special "little bitch" difficulty level?

I never changed the settings for the difficulty. It is really odd. I see the dragon markers on the compass, go to the spot, see the wall, but no dragons. It tells me I have a new word. One site only had some forsworn and a hagraven, another had Krosis but no dragon. Are the dragons only activated after a certain main line quest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom