• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking up the perks, I think my Orc SMASH character make take a backseat to a stealth one. The sneak perks look awesome. I'm thinking maybe a dual dagger wielding khajit may be my first playthrough. I really enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guild in Oblivion, and I think a stealthy character might get the most out of those questlines.

DangerStepp

CrazyDude said:
The first thing I am going to do in this game is climb the tallest mountain and jump off of it.
If there's co-op... can we link up and hold hands and do it together like Thelma and Louise?

zethren

Banned
I'm not looking too in depth into the perk/skill trees, but I'm watching a few videos and saw some of the "Heavy Armor" skill tree. Yeah, definitely going into that one for sure:

Perk spoiler below:
Fists of Steel just sounds awesome.

Esch

Banned
I've been really really keen on a mage character lately. Weird cause stealth is usually my go to- but magic actually looks real interesting this time, especially with dual wielding. Hnnggghhh. Maybe a mage/warrior combo?

KingK

Gah, I can't decide what race I want to play as. I'm thinking either a Dunmer battle mage, a Bosmer ranger, a Redguard warrior, or a Khajiit assassin (just spent the last few minutes looking at the race attributes).

This will be my first Elder Scrolls game other than a few hours with Oblivion, so is there any play style that would be discouraged for newcomers? I did play a lot of Fallout 3, so I'm somewhat familiar with the style of Bethesda games.

Wanace

KingK said:
Gah, I can't decide what race I want to play as. I'm thinking either a Dunmer battle mage, a Bosmer ranger, a Redguard warrior, or a Khajiit assassin (just spent the last few minutes looking at the race attributes).

This will be my first Elder Scrolls game other than a few hours with Oblivion, so is there any play style that would be discouraged for newcomers? I did play a lot of Fallout 3, so I'm somewhat familiar with the style of Bethesda games.

Where can I see the race attributes/perks? Care to share? Hopefully I don't have to watch other spoilery footage because I'm trying to avoid storyline/world spoilers aside from information about how the mechanics work.

KingK

Cryptozoologist said:
Where can I see the race attributes/perks? Care to share? Hopefully I don't have to watch other spoilery footage because I'm trying to avoid storyline/world spoilers aside from information about how the mechanics work.

Here

AiTM

Banned
To the people playing on xbox, what's your impressions on the graphics/framerate? Or does anyone have impressions?

I'm wondering how it compares to the Fallout games, because I thought they looked ok on xbox.

KingK said:

Mages in past games have always been more complicated. Making Spells, filling soul gems etc. In Skyrim you can't make your own spells but I believe the Soulgem stuff is still in, Mages don't wear armor(usually) so if you get overwhelmed it can be a bit much. Honestly the easiest character to play is Heavy armor, Shield, One handed weapon. Most defensive, and "safe" I think. It can get a bit repetitive.

That's based on Previous TES though, so who knows.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hype level is slowly rising. Im watching some Oblivion streams. Nostalgia is coming to me now. I suspect wed-thurs ill be at critical mass and explode.

fbi

Banned
The framerate has occasional problems but nothing to distracting. I've pumped about 25 hours into it so far and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm up to my second city, doing as much as possible and taking my time.

Games epic.

Just read the OT, great job. I noticed several references to Oblivion and Morrowind. How easy is it gonna be to follow the story without having played either of them? Looks like there's a lot of background stuff on events, locations, and races that would be wise to know. Story is important to me. I need to feel engrossed and motivated to continue on in a massive game like this.

AiTM

Banned
fbi said:
The framerate has occasional problems but nothing to distracting. I've pumped about 25 hours into it so far and feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm up to my second city, doing as much as possible and taking my time.

Games epic.

Thanks, how would you rate the graphics? Look good for an xbox game?

Dead Man

Heavy said:
Just read the OT, great job. I noticed several references to Oblivion and Morrowind. How easy is it gonna be to follow the story without having played either of them? Looks like there's a lot of background stuff on events, locations, and races that would be wise to know. Story is important to me. I need to feel engrossed and motivated to continue on in a massive game like this.
Shouldn't be too hard, this game is set 200 years later. They added heaps of lore from earlier games in Oblivion in books, and you can always check a wiki if you need.

Wanace

KingK said:
Thanks, I checked last week but I guess it's updated since people have the game now.

Looking at that I'm actually kind of torn between High Elf and Khajiit now instead of Argonian like I was before. I actually prefer beast races since I can't make a good looking humanoid character to save my life. Going to be tough to decide, I'll probably make like 10 characters before I even start playing.

Heavy said:

The main plot of each TES game is self-contained, though they all take place in the same "universe". So while you might not make connections to the previous games if someone mentions something about Morrowind, it won't be critical to the story.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Heavy said:
You really don't have to be familiar with the other games. You could always read up on some of the lore, but it's not at all necessary — every Elder Scrolls game is a new experience. Also, each side quest is sort of like its own self-contained story, and then of course, there's a main quest/arc and the factions and guilds. So while you won't feel lost if this is your first TES game, there should be enough in it to keep you engrossed.

fbi

Banned
AiTM said:
Thanks, how would you rate the graphics? Look good for an xbox game?
It looks amazing, I can't see why anyone would complain, I constantly stop and just pan around, especially when going up to the snowy peaks. I also love the models they have in the loading screen, very detailed. As for story, I never played morrowind or oblivion but the story is great, very game of thrones, in fact I see a lot of references to a song of fire and ice, unless all RPGs are like that, I don't play that many. I've been playing 80% in 3rd person and I feel like I'm missing a lot of the character face detail. I've been trying to switch to first when you start a conversation as you can't do it once it starts talking.

SPOILERS BELOW
There is a section where a god lifts you up into the sky, like miles high and you can view all the land around you, I think it looked spectacular.

Thanks, sounds good to me. I figure this game is right up my alley. Some recent open-ish games I've played and loved this year:

Dead Island - 60 hours (heavy focus on 1st person melee combat and open world)
Deus Ex HR - 60 hours
Assassin's Creed 1 and 2

If I want to get a general overview of the Elder Scrolls lore (as well as the option of going more in-depth), where should I start? I feel like getting into the lore a little more before I start Skyrim.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
If I want to get a general overview of the Elder Scrolls lore (as well as the option of going more in-depth), where should I start? I feel like getting into the lore a little more before I start Skyrim.
The lore could probably fit into a thousand page book. I know i got this lore book with Oblivion collectors edition and there was a lot in it. The elder scrolls wiki might have some stuff.

CyReN

Only problem (if you can call it that) with Skyrim is it feels like a floodgates have been opened, game is REALLY GOOD so far.

Wallach

Sutton Dagger said:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/

Probably the most comprehensive site for The Elder Scrolls on the 'net.

Crazetex said:
XP in Skyrim is hitting things more often. Higher difficulty naturally ramps up your XP.

Speaking of XP: I've seen "rested" status pop up after sleeping in some streams. What does it do? I <3 Oblivion mods that allow for "rested" bonuses, so I am intrigued!

Yeah that is a mod called 'Oblivion XP'. It makes leveling fallout style, where you get XP for killing each enemy/unlocking chests that goes into a general pool instead of just leveling that skill.

Can't say I recommend it, considering you get more XP for picking a lock than you do killing most enemies.

And yeah it has a feature where you get more XP for sleeping regularly.

Wallach

CrocMother said:
Yeah that is a mod called 'Oblivion XP'. It makes leveling fallout style, where you get XP for killing each enemy/unlocking chests that goes into a general pool instead of just leveling that skill.

Can't say I recommend it, considering you get more XP for picking a lock than you do killing most enemies.

And yeah it has a feature where you get more XP for sleeping regularly.

I think what he meant was that he saw it when watching some of the Skyrim streams going around.

bengraven

Best thief perk ever:
Keymaster --- 60 Pickpocket --- Pickpocketing keys always works

fbi said:
I never played morrowind or oblivion but the story is great

That's pretty fucking telling right there. I might go preorder another copy.

Wallach said:
I think what he meant was that he saw it when watching some of the Skyrim streams going around.

If that is the case, I hope they do a good job of implementing it.

I would also discourage you from watching streams lol.

DangerStepp

CrazyDude said:
Alright, but you're Louise.
tumblr_li3lc0ZIS71qhl9nho1_500.gif

tumblr_l7vezk9Aiu1qakn9to1_500.gif

Volimar

GreekWolf said:
Wow, Bootaay only level 13 with 23 hours played.

If the rumors are true (I think from the PC Gamer preview) that your character maxes out at level 70, then this might be the only RPG I'll need until 720/PS4 hits. lol

70?!?!?!

HNNNNNNGGGGG!!!

It'd be cool if each major dlc/expansion raised the level cap too.

Volimar said:
70?!?!?!

HNNNNNNGGGGG!!!

It'd be cool if each major dlc/expansion raised the level cap too.

I don't think he means level 70 has a hard level cap. What he probably means is that all of your skills will max out by level 70, thus making it impossible to level up further. To "raise" the level cap, you would have to make it where your skills could go over 100.

GreekWolf

joseph1594 said:
I don't think he means level 70 has a hard level cap. What he probably means is that all of your skills will max out by level 70, thus making it impossible to level up further. To "raise" the level cap, you would have to make it where your skills could go over 100.
Exactly. Mere mortals (and average Joe) will taper off around level 50, but the truly divine will stretch far beyond. It's estimated that a thousand hours will be required to grab 90+ perks. Believe me, there are a select few of us who are that crazy.

GreekWolf said:
Exactly. Mere mortals (and average Joe) will taper off around level 50, but the truly divine will stretch far beyond.

I remember that PC Gamer preview now. It's estimated that a thousand hours will be required to grab 90+ perks. Believe me, there are a select few of us who are that crazy.

Who is it estimated by?

AiTM

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Exactly. Mere mortals (and average Joe) will taper off around level 50, but the truly divine will stretch far beyond.

I remember that PC Gamer preview now. It's estimated that a thousand hours will be required to grab 90+ perks. Believe me, there are a select few of us who are that crazy.
You get a perk every level, so how many perks are there? A thousand hours sounds like a stretch. God I feel like I could solve a world problem in that time.

DangerStepp

Alucrid said:
Well, I just cleared my weekend for this game. Gonna order out chinese food on Friday, enough to last til Sunday.
My man, right here. I've made my wife well aware that I will be emotionally unavailable for the next week or so.

She doesn't even know....

Drazgul

zethren said:
Perk spoiler below:
Fists of Steel just sounds awesome.

More like total suck - wasted perk for those who use other type of attack(s), and still something you have to spend a point on if you want the other two perks.

Anyone know whether Alteration still has the Open spell? As much as I liked it for cheesy powergaming purposes, a single spell that makes a whole skill worthless isn't very good for balance's sake. :p

GhaleonEB

I love how many perks there are versus how many can be attained in a single, reasonably long character. Tough decisions will abound.

bengraven said:
Best thief perk ever:
Keymaster --- 60 Pickpocket --- Pickpocketing keys always works
Edge said there was one that let you
pick pocket the clothing right off of people successfully.

Best. Perk. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom